[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

I just got accepted to an exchange program with an university

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 22
Thread images: 1

File: south-africa-924.jpg (86KB, 924x732px) Image search: [Google]
south-africa-924.jpg
86KB, 924x732px
I just got accepted to an exchange program with an university in Bloemfontein.

I know almost nothing about the city or even the country.
The exchange starts in July and lasts for 5 months so I have plenty of time to prepare.

Any tips, recommendations, experiences and such that you can share are much appreciated.
>>
Some Saffas I know call Bloem a shithole
Enjoy
>>
>>1192108
>Saffas
No idea what that is and googeling did not help much either.

Also, I am white. How will that impact my experience? And should I learn some Afrikaans before I arrive?
>>
>>1192121
Chappie
>>
>>1192103
Of all the major cities you could have gone to you went to fucking Bloemfontein?
It's a relic of the city stuck in some weird 1960's Afrikaner timezone that suddenly got culturally enriched.
>>
>>1192121
Saffa means south african.

All I'll say is watch your back white boi, that place by all accounts is a dangerous shithole.
>>
>>1192185
>>1192174
Sounds great!
Are the locals friendly? Or should I stick to befriending other expats?
>>
>>1192349
They're friendly enough as most people would be unless they are trying to scam you or outright rob you later.

Stick to the white crowds, because you Americans always find a way to walk straight into the shittest part of the country to get raped/robbed/murdered
>>
>>1192350
Thank you. I am Scandinavian tho.

Do you know if people are tall there? I heard most whites are dutch descendants, and the dutch are quite tall.
>>
>>1192103
There are some places to eat and listen to music there. Tolkien was born there but moved when he was three. Ask people who actually live there and get the LonelyPlanet South Africa guide for general info.
>>
>>1192121
There have been a lot of protests at South African universities in the past academic year. It's settled down now because the semester has ended, but keep your eye on the news next year; if it starts up again when the new academic year starts, you might want to re-think your plans.

Bloomfontein is a small and quite dull city, but make some friends and bring some cash and you can have a great time flying over to Cape Town for the weekend and checking out some of the national parks, too.

There's no need to learn Afrikaans, you can get along perfectly well with English.
>>
>>1192353
>I heard most whites are dutch descendants
Actually Afrikaans-speaking White are descended from a whole mix, not just the Dutch, but French and Germans. Don't just think of them as Dutch.
>>
>>1192365
Are there clubs and such as well?

>>1192439
Are the protests violent?

Thanks for all the responses so far. I appreciate this very much.
>>
>>1192622
>>1192622
Go to facebook and type in Bloemfontein clubs.
>>
>>1192353
Hvorfor ville du dog tage et semester i sådan et lortehul?
>>
>>1192103
A common name for greeting other males in South Africa is "kaffir." It's like the words "dude" or "mate" but are typically used towards black South Africans by whites. It's sort of like the African-American word "nigga" but shows sympathy and friendlyness towards blacks by whites.

So get ready to say "How's is going kaffir" a lot.
>>
>>1192712
You sir have snakes in your head.
>>
>>1192712
Lmao best advice 2016
>>
>>1192712
this OP
>>
>>1192712
yes
>>
>>1192690
Varför inte?
Ibland måste man vara med om lite skit för att uppskatta det man har.
>>
>>1192103
Anywhere along the coastfrom capetown to PE is nice to travel to. The trankskei region is also pretty nice, but its definetly not as safe to travel around in by yourself.

Also that map is fucking retarded. Why would you have pitermaritzburg on there instead of durban?

>>1192121
>Afrikaans
Generally, everyone will speak english there. Not sure about bloemfontein as a city though
Thread posts: 22
Thread images: 1

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.