[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Tell me about the safety of some polarizing parts of the world

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 36
Thread images: 3

File: 21184.jpg (94KB, 1600x900px) Image search: [Google]
21184.jpg
94KB, 1600x900px
Tell me about the safety of some polarizing parts of the world /trv/. Share personal experiences if you want. I want to go to these places but haven't because of bad safety reps. The unsafest places I've been to thus far have been Brazil, Israel and Palestine and I never had any problems there because (not-so-humblebrag) I got pretty good street smarts. On my list is:

>Lebanon
>Egypt
>Turkey
>Algeria
>Libya
>Colombia
>Mexico
>Serbia
>West China
>>
File: reisadvies nederland.png (46KB, 1425x648px) Image search: [Google]
reisadvies nederland.png
46KB, 1425x648px
>>1189175
I only have experience in Colombia and Mexico, and I say there's no reason to avoid those two countries. Just do your research on which regions you best avoid. There's some in the south of Colombia that can be a bit dangerous, as well as some Mexican states like Guerrero and Tamaulipas.

Pic related is the safety advice the Dutch government gives. I think they highly exaggerate Colombia.

I can't think of any reason why you should be afraid of Serbia. Stay the fuck away from Libya though.

There are many countries in the world that have an undeserved bad rep, or a greatly exaggerated one. Countries like Iran and North Korea for example are perfectly safe to visit.
>>
>>1189175
Lebanon is safe. This thread was recently archived, and I talk a lot about safety there: >>1183072

I haven't been to the rest on your list, but here's my advice anyway:
>Egypt
Tourist places are safe.
>Turkey
Anything that's not Kurdistan is safe.
>Algeria
Safe, even in the south, according to friend who lived there.
>Libya
NOT safe! Better than it used to be, and not impossible to travel to, but there's still a war there with two rivalling governments. Only go if you know exactly what the fuck you are doing.
>Serbia
The safest country on your list, by far.
>West China
Safe. There are clashes from time to time, but they're few and far between, in a region that's already massive. And also directed at the government, not at tourists.

Colombia and Mexico I know nothing about.
>>
>>1189208
This looks like the most reasonable government-issued safety map.
>>
>>1189208
>thailand is safer than croatia
>>
>>1189228
The Dutch actually travel, it shows.
>>
>>1189228
Every government's travel advisories will, to a certain extent, be politically motivated. This looks better than most, I'll agree, but still, "safety concerns" in Cuba, North Korea and Oman? Yeah, right.
>>
>>1189208
so rural morocco is ok but cities aren't?
>>
>>1189228
I've been to multiple red areas in Russia and Africa this year - probably around a month total. Two months if I take the orange areas into account as well. No safety issues whatsoever.
>>
>>1189254
>red areas in Africa
Which ones?
>>
>>1189229
Pretty sure Croatia and Bosnia are only yellow because of the landmines.
>>
>>1189208
>>1189228
>north of Cambodia
>Uganda
>Malaysia being the same as both West and East Papua
>Vanuatu & Fiji being of concern
>Solomon Islands having a smallsyria level danger in its borders

This map needs serious review
>>
>>1189175
>Palestine

Unless you go to the areas of illegal settlers or Gaza, it's perfectly safe. The main cities of WB are fully safe. Never had any problems, and the locals were extremely friendly and hospitable.
>>
I know Yemen is an absolute no go, but what about Socotra? Is it reasonably safe?
>>
>>1189482
I hear it's safe, actually. Apparently, there's a company which flies there from Dubai, so you don't have to go through mainland Yemen. I don't know their details, but I'm sure Google can help.
>>
So what's with that red spot in Japan?
>>
>>1189698
Fukashima Karma Krazy
WAR BOYZ
>>
>Lebanon
>Egypt
>Algeria
>Libya

No-goes

>Turkey
>Columbia
>Mexico

Caution

>Serbia

100% safe. Why would you think otherwise?

>West China

No idea
>>
>>1189765
>Egypt
>Algeria
>no-go

Why? Librya is actually such a place because right now it doesn't even look like a real country rn.
>>
>>1189765
>Lebanon
>Egypt
>Algeria
>Libya
>No-goes

You're full of shit. For what possible reason? Comparing Libya with the other three is just ignorant. Apart from border areas and small pockets of insurgency in remote areas, Lebanon, Egypt and Algeria is completely safe with normal precautions.
>>
>>1189208
What is that red spot in Japan?
>>
>>1189810
Fukushima
>>
>>1189271
Guinea - Sierra Leone - Liberia.
>>
>>1189247
All of Morocco is ok desu. You may get a little harassed (especially if girl) or pickpocketed in the cities, but you're never in danger
>>
>>1189175
West China they APC's patrolling the streets and stationed outside a rotating locations. Airport style security for larger shopping malls and metal detectors and guards with riot shields at restaurants and hotels.
>>
>>1189175

brazil, israel are pretty safe, palestine not too dangerous either...

i wouldn't go to lebanon,algeria,lybia,colombia right now.
>>
Can someone tell me more about Egypt atm?? I'd love to go but everyone tells me not to
>>
>>1191370
>colombia
Why the fuck not?
>>
>>1191446
Stay out of Cali a d it's the sa e as Brazil idk what he's talking about
>>
>>1191370
I was in Lebanon earlier this year. Don't go to the refugee camps or the border and you'll be fine. Beirut is a really nice city actually
>>
>>1191370
Colombia is fine... Coming from a gringo that lives there
>>
>>1189208
So the Netherlands is the most unsafe? Why is it so black
>>
>serbia

One of these things is not like the others

You listed probably one of the safest countries in europe senpai
>>
>>1189810
Yakuza HQ
>>
File: 20150717_133612.jpg (3MB, 3264x1836px) Image search: [Google]
20150717_133612.jpg
3MB, 3264x1836px
>>1189245
>"safety concerns" in North Korea
Getting arrested for political purposes counts as a safety concern. Regardless of some of them contributing to their situation, punishments in best korea are way out of proportion and occasionally are completely arbitrary because lil Kim wants to throw a hissy fit to get some attention. It's a legitimate safety concern.

Cuba is probably just for muggings or something. Anywhere with extreme wealth disparity between tourists and locals has that to some degree.

>>1189286
>Malaysia being the same as both West and East Papua
It's only got three degrees of danger so the distinctions aren't that fine. Parts of Malaysia are really quite dangerous for foreigners due to kidnappings, terrorism, IS etc. E.g. I wouldn't fuck around away from populated areas near the Thai border.

>>1189175
>West China
Don't go waving Tibetan flags etc, the only serious danger is if you make the government think you're up to something political or religious. Looking like a journalist in some sensitive/oppressed areas might also get you into trouble.

I got yelled at in Yunnan near the Tibetan border for standing too close to a military staging post that had taken over the town square. If they knew I had taken pictures of it then they might have been a bit pissed but probably would have just deleted them. Professional photography gear would look pretty suspicious though.
>>
>>1191875
They don't rate their own country so made it a different colour.
Thread posts: 36
Thread images: 3

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.