[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

What do you like about traveling? How does it benefit you? Asking

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 12
Thread images: 1

What do you like about traveling? How does it benefit you?
Asking because I don't see the point about traveling but my friend asked me if I wanna go on an interrail with him
>>
The main point of travelling is to forget about your shitty life at home and to have sex with strangers
>>
>>1187363
To me the privilege of getting to see other places enriches my life. It makes me feel educated about the world and it almost feels like an accomplishment that I've managed to see so much of it. Seeing how people live in places different from where I do has changed my perspective on what's important in my own life. I'm more appreciative of how I have it better than a lot of folks in the world. I also know who out there has it better than I do in some ways, which changed a lot of my political views, because I know what I'd like to see improved in my country.

But the biggest thing for me would be a sense of awe at how beautiful and amazing the world and humanity's works within it can be. It's easy to go numb to the amazing stuff you see everyday. You take shit like your local natural beauty, hot running water, good roads and good food for granted. When you visit places where things are different everything stands out in high relief. Even little things like ancient tiles at a lesser known site a short train ride out of Rome or in Fez just blow your mind. Someone made that shit a long time ago, and it's fucking beautiful. And there's a chance they're an ancestor of the person who is going to be serving you lunch in an hour or two. That's awe inspiring.
>>
>>1187365
HAha nice
>>1187381
when you put it that way it's quite amazin

Is it worth it? traveling can be quite pricey
>>
>>1187393
Worth it is a matter of priorities and how much money you have to spend. If you don't have fuck you money and you want to see Switzerland or Japan you might want to get into a line of work likely to take you there. But there are plenty of frugal destinations you can go to. In your situation I'd ask your friend how much he intends to spend on the trip he's invited you along on. Then decide if you're willing to part with that kind of dough and maybe even a little more.
>>
>>1187363
It's something where I can see new stuff, experience different cultures and meet people from all way of lives. Pictures or movies can't compare to really going somewhere and get the feeling of a place and it's history.

>the culture shock almost claustrophobic feeling when you step out of the metro in downtown NYC for the first time, when you suddenly are surrounded by skyscrapers and you actually realize how large the city really is and how little and insignificant you are in the whole picture as masses of people pass you right and left in a endless stream...
>the strange feeling when you walk down the Malecon in La Habana for the first time, waves crash over the sea wall and splash directly on the street, the sound of dozend loud 1950 era cars, the smell of diesel, lead and the sea in the air, busy people on one side, deeply relaxed on the other walking trough almost collapsing building that could tell endless stories of colonialism, wars, degeneracy, bloody uprisings, revolutions and the dark/bright stories of fidel's communism, they saw it all.
>The rush when you walk down towards the Brandenburg Gate in Berlin on "Unter den Linden" and suddenly the massive russian embassy comes into view, then you close your eyes and you can still see the Berlin Wall or those pictures where tanks roll down the exact same street ...
>The freedom and quietness when you take a hike up a mountain to a monastery that is there since 1000 years, just to drink one of their home brewed beers or try their own distilled liquors they make from goods out of their own Garden and enjoy a view second to none.

On top of that I get endless anecdotes to tell from every part of the world I visited.
That's the appeal of traveling for me.

Yes I spend a lot of money on it, but I really really love it. If you think that's not worth it for you, spend it on something else, but imo giving it a try with interrail is a good idea.
>>
>>1187363
Don't know, but I want to go where the picture shows.
Where is it?
>>
>>1187448
It's Zermatt, Switzerland.
The mountain in the background is the Matterhorn.
>>
I've been travelling 2 times now, each time for nearly 2 years.

The best years of my life, I laughed, I loved, I lived.

Now I'm back at home. I feel like Ive lost everything and will never feel as happy as I once was travelling. Just constantly want to leave again.. like in chasing an endless goal.

Feelsbadman.
>>
>>1187483
REally? :O That's sounds like fun but wasn't expensive? Did you travel alone or with a partner?
>>
>>1187363
I like how mundane, daily things suddenly become interesting. What would be a mind-numbingly boring trip to the grocery back home turns into an adventure when everything's written in funky scripts and half the products leave you scratching your head. There's no dull, soul-crushing routine when you're traveling, every day is a new experience.
>>
>>1187645
This. I can't resist hitting the local markets when I'm traveling. Whether it's the basement grocery stores in Tokyo department stores, the farmer's market at Campo di Fiore in Rome or the souks in Fez you can feel the pulse of a place by visiting the local markets. Traveling makes the most mundane shit novel. I have better memories of local markets from my travels than most tourist sites I was supposed to see. I still remember a grocery store in Bern where I was buying some chunk of meat and an employee slapped a half off sticker on the wrapper right after I picked it up - a super kind move given Swiss prices. Best taco I've eaten in my life was in the market in Merida, Mexico.
Thread posts: 12
Thread images: 1

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.