[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Planning a trip to the British Isles the first week of January.

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 29
Thread images: 4

Planning a trip to the British Isles the first week of January. I was thinking Dublin, then Liverpool, then London, but I'd appreciate your recommendations. What should a guy with five or six days to spare over there do?
>>
Ha, depends what you are into and your age bracket...I went to Ireland to party n fuck..the Irish people as a whole are down to drink and get DRUNK. Unlike in the states I never saw any "awwe she drank too much, we need to baby sit her". Great place to party (Dublin). Really friendly people..they like Americans
>>
who is this semen demon
>>
>>1187582
OP here. I'm 22. I enjoy meeting people and a good night of drinking but I'm skinny and can't slam brews like some others can. What's there to do in Dublin? Ever been to Liverpool or London?
>>
Dublin's ok, quite pretty because it didn't get the Luftwaffe redeveopment program that the UK was treated to, but consider Galway as an alternative. Since you're only 22, Galway has a much more "hip" feel, while feeling more traditional Irish, probs cheaper too

Liverpool's pretty cool, it's another city that feels particularly "alive" right now.
Pick your favourite Beatles museum
PopWorld's good if you just wanna be a drunken mess, whatever's on on Resident Advisor if you wanna zoinked off your bonce

No advice for London

>>1187582
>I went to Ireland to party n fuck
You need 10 mutual friends and a written reference to fuck an Irish girl
>>
>>1187597
Shes the model that crashed the jet full of soccer players
>>
>Dublin
>British
>>
>>1187643
What is there to do in Dublin? Drink Guinness and Jameson's whiskey.
It's a great little place, quite small and manageable for sightseeing. People are friendly, great food, stay 2 to 3 days tops. If you have more time, take a day to go to Drogheda by train, 30 minutes or so north. Small, quaint, Martello tower and loads of history.
>>
File: 1176.jpg (1MB, 1936x2592px) Image search: [Google]
1176.jpg
1MB, 1936x2592px
>>1187297
Liverpool is OK, but the warehouses and so on along the Mersey have all been modernised and I didn't find it a great place to be honest. You might want to spend a day there, and then look at going to Manchester the next day.
>>
>>1187895
>go to Drogheda
Do not do this unless you are attempting to score smack or are very interested in Irish history, Kilkenny would be a better day trip
>>
Dublin is not part of the UK. Do not refer to anywhere in the Republic of Ireland as the 'British Isles' as it is very offensive to most Irish people.
>>
>>1187945
>>1187860
it is within the British Isles and there's nothing you can do about it
>>
I found Dublin just a little pricey. Not London pricey, but not cheap. If you like a lively bar scene and don't like spending a ton of money I'd recommend Glasgow. From there it's a really pretty train ride to Leeds or Manchester. All three of those towns are full of drinky types.
>>
>>1188079
You're right, technically. But try 'n say this to any Irishman and watch what your reaction will be.
>>
>>1188079
My immediate reaction when I saw this thread as Irish was rage, but how can I expect you to know these small nuances of geography

Don't call it the British isles while you're here for your own safety m8
>>
>>1188108
Outta curiosity, how would a good Irishman refer to the archipelago?
>>
>>1188171
You don't. Either you're discussing Ireland, or England. Scotland is also a possibility.
>>
>>1187945
>>1188108
>>1188171
I don't think most Irish people really care about this shit that much (although, incidentally, if you really do about your "Irishness" you should probably stop saying "mate" because it's something that was picked up from the British and is exclusively said by annoying people from Dublin city)

For some reason, any time our dear country is mentioned in a 4chan thread, it's immediately filled up with a bunch of people trying to out-Irish each other
>I hate the Brits!
>I hate the Brits even more!
>Well I ate 50 potatoes yesterday!
It's strange. Of course, it is possible that you could come across people who are still sensitive about this kind of thing but it's quite unlikely, especially if you're meeting young people in cities.
>>
File: 1479032595077.jpg (437KB, 2048x1536px) Image search: [Google]
1479032595077.jpg
437KB, 2048x1536px
>>1187297
>London

Get ready for some cultural enrichment from Ahmed
>>
>>1188090
And then wake up in hospital.

Or try saying it in the Padraig Pearse IRA pub in Pearse Street Dublin and get a bullet in the back of your head.
>>
Glasgow or Edinburgh?

Liverpool, Manchester or Leeds?
>>
>>1188974
people actually believe this
>>
>>1188974
has to be bait
>>1189272
Edinburgh, Manchester
>>
>>1188299
Ireland here. can confirm most mature people don't give a shit about "muh British isles" but Irish people won't refer to it.
>>>1188299
>should probably stop saying mate
most people will take the piss out of you but otherwise you're okay
but if you're in cork make sure to replace "mate" with "BOII" and throw it in a sentence ever 3 or so words
t.cork boi
>>
>>1187297
slaggiest slag ive ever seen
>>
>>1187297
Simple rule: don't talk about your Irish heritage in Ireland unless one of your parents or grandparents was an immigrant. And even then it's not exactly the freshest of convo topics to hear from an American tourist.

>>1187791
Seconding Galway
>>
File: Black-Head..jpg (383KB, 1632x1145px) Image search: [Google]
Black-Head..jpg
383KB, 1632x1145px
>>1190188
...I'd add that if you're going to daytrip, the Cliffs of Moher and the Burren (a kind of rock wasteland) close by are pretty impressive.
You've probably already seen the cliffs in a few movies, so here's a shot of the Burren.
>>
>>1190188
Heritage stories from anywhere in western europe are similarly dry in my native US, so I figured as much
>>
>>1188171
"Great Britain and Ireland"
"The UK and Ireland"

British Isles is not a term to use here in Ireland.

It's a bit like calling Canadian people "Americans" and justifying by saying "but Canada is in North America".
Thread posts: 29
Thread images: 4

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.