[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

I've never booked a trip on a whim before, but less than

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 10
Thread images: 2

File: Senegal_bayrak_harita.png (52KB, 2048x1459px) Image search: [Google]
Senegal_bayrak_harita.png
52KB, 2048x1459px
I've never booked a trip on a whim before, but less than two hours ago I'd never even considered going to Senegal; now I have my tickets booked for April. Only for 12 days.
What do? Apparently I'll be there for the dry season. That's good for hiking and wildlife spotting, right?
My interests:
-Local music (any good venues in Dakar?)
-Nature (where are some good hikes?)
-Food (tell me everything you know about food)

I think I'll rent a car for a few days just to see the Saloum delta. I'm eyeing that national park in the southwest but I can't afford to take a rental car all the way there and back.

Should I be concerned about malaria if I'll be camping? I really can't afford meds.
>>
>>1186814
If you can't afford meds you better get a mosquito net.
>>
>>1186814
>Should I be concerned about malaria if I'll be camping? I really can't afford meds.
Get doxycycline. Buy there if you have to, it's dirt cheap - €5-10 tops or so for 2 - 3 weeks. One a day, start a few days before the trip, take until a week after the trip. Lightest sides of any antimalarial, but may lead to light sensitivity and sunburns. I didn't have any sides at all.

Hit up Casamance, wonderfully lush scenery. I'd recommend going there by ferry from Dakar rather than doing it overland - roads around Kaolack are shit. Puts you closer to the Niokolo-Koba park as well. Djoudj in the north for birdwatchnig. Music you'll find most easily in Dakar. Foodwise, tiboudiènne is the national dish as far as I recall. Try jollof rice as well.

Dakar is a bit of a smelly shithole though. Annoying touts are commonplace, don't get ripped off. Also, any taxi ride in the city is 2500CFA max - which takes you all the way from one end of the city to the other one. Short taxi hops are 500 minimum.
>>
File: SAM_2911.jpg (3MB, 4000x3000px) Image search: [Google]
SAM_2911.jpg
3MB, 4000x3000px
>>1186962
I've got a military issue permethrin-treated pop-up tent, and I'll bring my own DEET.
But are the odds really that high? Are the locals immune to it or something?
>>1186966
>Buy there if you have to
Do I need a prescription? Sounds too good to be true.
I'd love to go to Casamance; the political trouble there doesn't bother me, but landmines are a harsh reality. I'll be hiking and wild camping after all. What's your opinion?

Thanks for all the other great info; I'll write it down. Especially thanks for the taxi tips, that's where I usually lose all my pocket money.
This isn't my first time to west Africa so I feel like I can handle myself in Dakar. Biggest challenge will be understanding people's Afro-French accents.
>>
>>1187129
Malaria has always been a problem in the tropics. There are people who have walking malrial problems but if you are not used to it you can get racked up. I remember seeing the old Private Snafu cartoons warning soldiers to use netting and don't sleep naked in hot climate areas.
>>
>>1187129
>Do I need a prescription? Sounds too good to be true.
It's Africa, nobody knows what a prescription is. Hell, you can buy any antimalarial there without one. Doxy is by far the cheapest one though.

>I'd love to go to Casamance; the political trouble there doesn't bother me, but landmines are a harsh reality. I'll be hiking and wild camping after all. What's your opinion?
The political trouble's completely overblown. Separatists do not wish to be associated with violence, as it kills the tourist industry - a major source of income in Casamance. Ask locals about the landmines.
>>
>>1187307
OK, guess I'll go to Casamance and worst case scenario I'll end up sitting on a beach under a palm tree.
>>
Good info so far; bump
>>
>>1186814
>I really can't afford meds.
If you can't afford cheap-as malaria medication you sure as hell can't afford to get malaria.

If you live in a 1st world cunt you'll probably need a fair few shots before you go.
>>
>>1188634
Already got all my jabs. But like hell am I paying $200 for two weeks' worth of pills. True I'd be in deep financial shit if I got sick, but I'll adjust my level of caution accordingly. I'll walk around in a beekeeper's suit if I have to.
Thread posts: 10
Thread images: 2

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.