[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Would traveling alone be just as fun as traveling with your best

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 13
Thread images: 1

File: travel-022.jpg (471KB, 2048x1152px) Image search: [Google]
travel-022.jpg
471KB, 2048x1152px
Would traveling alone be just as fun as traveling with your best buds? 19y/o male here, I am absolutely going to be leaving the US/California out overseas this summer, just haven't decided yet. I've asked a some friends to come with me, a couple would like to go to Japan, and another group would like to go to London. THe thing is, we're all 19 and broke, only I have about 1.2k saved up and they don't. I've given them until about march to save up as thats then im going to be buying tickets, but i really feel like they won't come up on money in time. if they don't, should i just visit these places alone, or just keep saving the cash up for next summer or something, when i can go with friends. honestly, the two biggest things i'm trying to do is site see, and fuck, but i was wondering if it'd be a. boring to sight see alone and b. harder to hook up with chicks as a single dude. (no i'm not ugly, it just seems intimidating trying to pick up chicks from foreign countries going to bars by myself.) Another thing i'm concerned with is safety, as if i did go alone i would certainly want to experience night life but i'd be an easier target to mug/take advantage of being alone. thoughts?
>>
I'm about to leave on a 1 year solo trip to Asia, first time traveling seriously. The way i see it, you'll meet more people alone than with a friend you cling to. And life is dangerous wherever you go, the worst that will happen to you is you lose some money or get roughed up.

Its scary, but it's supposed to be. All good things are.
>>
>>1186516
I'm going to travel to Canada (just for a week) sometime soon because I want to travel everywhere but I only have one lazy friend and an Internet gf.

It does seem daunting, but I think it also seems relatively easy to meet people in hostels...especially in a major city such as London like you mentioned.

You might want to give traveling solo a shot with small trip like I'm doing and see if it works for you.
Maybe it will be great and you'll be fine in the future, or perhaps you'll realize you really need your friends with you.
>>
I think you will be just fine. Its my first time travelling as well, but I flew off to New Zealand to work for two years.
One year down.
If your worried about going it alone, make up a list of things that you want to do or see, and do a bit of research!
Exercise good common sense, don't be a dick. Don't carry lots of cash or jewelry on you. Tip your bartenders (modestly) and don't be afraid to talk to the locals.

Far as hooking up goes, cant help ya there.
>>
>>1186516
You'll meet a lot more people, if you travel alone. You'll spend more money, mostly on alcohol, if you travel with friends. But it doesn't matter because it is unlikely no one will ever get it together enough to actually go with you.

Easiest to just sleep in a hostel and meet girls there. They won't be locals but bars are an awful place to find women. If you really want locals, well they are everywhere and your opener is already written, "hi I'm from [not here]"

Also, you are going to Japan, they have like seven murders per year, what danger are you worried about?
>>
>>1186516

When I was younger the group that I hung out with, couldn't even save money to go to Reno, when we finally made it there, most barely had any money to eat.

So, imo, just set a date that everyone must have their plane tickets purchased. You'll know real quick who is serious or not. Don't wait on your friends, or next thing you'll know it will be 5 years from now and you never left.

Also, if you are light on money, why not plan for thailand as Japan is expensive, but clean and safe.
>>
>>1186516
Hey there cali brown where u @? Socal?
>>
I have a few good friends, we travel well together. We are of a like mind, and on a trip we don't spend every minute together. I really like having someone to share the trip with.

That being said, I have also gone on many big adventures by myself. I am very extraverted, so I don't really have an issue meeting or talking to people. Especially if you can get by with English.

Traveling with someone who complains, whines, or makes things difficult is much worse than going it alone. So, cool friends are great, but don't just go with anyone because you are afraid to go it alone.
>>
>>1186530

The biggest danger I felt in Japan in my three months there was BOREDOM! zzzz, old women picking up twigs that fell from the trees, lolz
>>
>>1186516
Hey camarada, if you think of going to europe, you could hang out with me and my friends, we are backpacking in three weeks oh yeahh
>>
>>1186516
I honestly prefer traveling alone. I have a lot of fun meeting all new people and not having any real constraints. Not sure if that makes me an arsehole but when I go somewhere, especially to a place I have never been to I like to go solo. I've had bad times with people getting pissy pants over non-issues that I just never want to deal with.

IF I do go with any friends somewhere it is usually "we are crashing at X hotel and splitting the cost". That generally is for weekend getaways though where I know it will be a short time and the room is only for passing out at.

>>1186530
This too. I am going to Japan coming up but I am not sharing a room, not just for girls but because I feel if I had to share a room with someone for nearly 3 weeks I would be pissed of at over half my friends.
>>
>>1186516
If they do not come up with the money, go where you want, do what you want. Or, wait, that's your call of course. Safetywise, some choices are better than other choices. And for the most part, going alone- clubbing/drugs/girls, if that is your plan is a high risk activity, for sure. Avoid it if you're alone, unless you meet some nice friends or someone you trust somewhat. Just do your museums/sights. You don't need to brag about what you did to all those that didn't pull themselves along, just amuse yourself.
If they come up with the money....
Then, what will they like to do when they travel? If it is going to cramp your style, then secretly hope that they don't go.

I wouldn't pick London or Japan for budget travel nor alone travel (you're not splitting a hotel or taxi costs in half). That's just ridiculousness, setting yourself up to just rough it too much at the poverty level, in places where having money increases your fun and interesting activities considerably, and for each and every day there you sacrifice so much for lodging and food and transport, why go when your budget is crap and you can't afford to do anything but walk around and look at the outside of buildings? Go somewhere else this time in your life if that's your entire budget....like mexico.
>>
>>1187165
Japan can be very cheap depending on what an acceptable hotel is for you. Capsules are usually 30ish bucks, hostels/airbnb can be around the same, if you want a personal style hotel you are looking 60-80/night for small room and 100+ for an american style single if you are staying in Tokyo.

Taxi fare costs split can be useful if you don't want to walk/pay train costs, but usually that is negligible overall unless you are going a serious distance.
Thread posts: 13
Thread images: 1

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.