[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Hey guys. post travel blues stories and advice? I'm really

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 15
Thread images: 1

Hey guys. post travel blues stories and advice?

I'm really struggling here and i need some perspective. 25yr male fyi.

I was horribly depressed, did my 2 and half year European travel adventure, found myself spritiual awakening blah blah i hope you understand . I returned to my hometown, Adelaide where i have been more or less for the past 9-12 months. i feel very isolated and my depression is coming back, i find myself bored and unmotivated to do anything. i'm not sure if its adelaide, the people here, or if its just suburban life that is killing me.

i find some old friends/family boring and pretty well all of them are leading the kinds of lifes that i don't want any part of. everyone i know expects me to act a certain way due to our past history, and I willingly participate in the charade sometimes too. i just got an invite for a pre christmas gathering of my extended family, and the thought of going makes me physically sick. my priorities are vastly different and i tend to think deeper than most.

on a plus side quite a few people are openly commenting how they wish they had my strength of mind to live my own life regardless of social and cultural norms. while its nice to be an inspiration of a kind, fuck its hard being dragged down by all this shit.

though i have met a girl here, we were together for 3 months, and to put simply, having her around was my main source of motivation. she is now studying in scotland (organised before we got together, she is sad she had to leave me). which will take 6 months, i'm 3 months in. this might be a cause for my shitty mood. But still, if a woman is the ONLY thing i really like about this place, you think i still just hate this place?

tl:dr post travel blues stories and advice?
>>
>>1186454
Listlessness after a long trip is normal, it's a rude shock when you get back home and realise that nothing has changed and your life is basically the same even after all the things you've experienced and personal growth you've gone through.

I find it's important to try and hit the ground running - after you've spent a few days catching up with family and friends it's time to start putting all those ideas you had while travelling into practice. Likewise the adaptability and sense of adventure you cultivate while travelling needs a bit of effort to turn into traits you keep with you even back at home.

However given that you've been back for nearly a year this sounds more like general depression. Not saying I don't want to help but /adv/ is probably going to get you faster and more helpful responses.

I can't give you much advice other than two things. 1: You need to start working towards something, whether that be developing a career, planning a new trip, making things work with the girl etc. Doesn't matter if it doesn't work out in the end, the important thing is to have an achievable goal you are getting closer to day by day.
2: This kind of relates to 1, but find something to occupy your time. If you do nothing all the time it will naturally make you feel isolated and bored, leading to thoughts like
>I tend to think deeper than most
Which is frankly a silly teenage mindset, which people use to try and feel better when they're out of place, to convince themselves they don't want something when really they can't be bothered to put in the effort.
>>
>>1186491
i'm going to piggyback on this person's post, but you also come off as self-centered in your original post, fixating a little too much on "me," for example >while its nice to be an inspiration of a kind, fuck its hard being dragged down by all this shit.

however, i have felt your downswoop, after I studied abroad (8 years ago...). i had a smaller one when i returned home from living abroad for a year (what made it softer was having a girlfriend to return to-- which i ended a few months later).
I still feel it from time to time. it's been a goal of mine to get out of here and live in europe indefinitely, but that day by day gets placed further back in the pantry. I think about how much i'd have to trade to move, and it becomes increasingly less attractive.

now that I have a relationship that might last a very long time, now that im starting a career (and she is too), knowing what id do with all my stuff, learning a new language, adapting to a new society, making new friends, finding a job, all that... it seems too daunting. my dissatisfaction might just lie inside me, not with where i am.

anyway, mate. i wish u the best, so cheers

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DU6IndADEWI
>>
>>1186454
My advice would be to start from the very basics - learn to structure your thoughts, format your wall of text and be concise. Not sure if they teach that in Adelaide though
>>
>>1186491
thx for your response.

well i did kind of hit the groudn running. moving out fo my parents was a priority, got my own place. keen to get into organic agriculture so basically did my whole housemates/landlords backyard for free. i'm basically doing most the stuff i set myself out to do when i first returned to Aus. im feeling i don't have any community support/participation from my friends and family, and i'm lacking the motivation to go and meet new people. i reckon its what i need to do but blurghh

>>1186495
sorry if i come across as self centered, on my trip i realized i had spent most my life doing what other people decided what was best for me. my own happiness became a priority, and i discovered one of the things that make me happiest is helping others. being self centered doesn't necessarily mean a bad thing.

well i hope your happy man, cheers for the song
>>
>>1186505
>im feeling i don't have any community support/participation from my friends and family
>i find some old friends/family boring and pretty well all of them are leading the kinds of lifes that i don't want any part of

See the issue? Tbh it sounds like you've fallen into the trap of thinking that because you've travelled, you're now more enlightened and your wisdom puts you on a higher plane, unable to relate to those who haven't. Part of the problem could be that you're not living in the right place and would be more at home in one of the more progressive east coast cities, but your bad attitude will follow you wherever you go.

I used to work with a guy who had spent his entire life in the one 5,000 person town. He'd never been on an aeroplane, he didn't even like going to the next town 30km away. As such he had very limited experience when it came to issues such as politics and foreign cultures. Now if I was you I'd probably have written the guy off, dismissed him as not worth my time. But truth was while there were many things I knew more than him about, there were far more things he was an expert in that I was hopeless at. What's more, even though we were worlds apart we still respected each other, got along, and his simple view on life help to ground me a bit.

So that's why I say you should focus on keeping busy and getting involved with the world around you, all this navel-gazing won't do you any good.
>>
>>1186512
im sorry if you misunderstood, im not the best writer.

I was not saying that I am 'more enlightened' 'on a higher plane' or whatever. I have no problem what so ever with the way they are living their lives, just by pure proximity, i am being influenced in ways that are not beneficial to the way i want to live.

using an example, i don't want health insurance. now if i was to say this out loud, people would automatically think i am being reckless and careless. this is due to me experiencing that living more present tends to make me happier than worrying bout the future all the time (only for my life!). i have tried speaking to some of my close family members about my rational behind this, and no one seems to truly understand. you properly won't either because i am missing some key other points.

yes i met a few of these people on my travels, plus my grandpas sister is like this. she has been living in australia for 50 years and still hasn't learnt to speak english, so yeah pretty isolated. but there are very few people i know who beam such contentment and happiness, it does make me envy.
>>
Shit OP, I've been lurking in your post because I relate to you. But I find it weird how similar we are regarding our views and such (recently moved out after traveling, not wanting to get insurance). I think the only difference between us is that I'm in sydney and I'm 27. Haha

I agree with what the other anons here have been posting. good insights. thanks guys.
>>
>>1186454

nigga, how can you be unhappy living in Radelaide. Been dreaming of living there for the last year. Lets trade places, and you can come living in the cold, grey Toronto.
>>
Hey bro, same age as you and this happened to me: I travelled alone for the first time this summer . I was in Indonesia for two months and it was the best time of my life by far. The people I met and the time I spent there made me realise what I want. I want to be free, no job or girlfriend or long-term plans (for now). I want to remain young and adventurous for aslong as I can.
I've been home for about 3 months now and it is cold and dark and I hate it. I'm already depressed and all I have on my mind is my next adventure. My friends here marrying and only talk about their jobs. Family asking me why I don't want to settle down. All I want it to fuck off again..
I think it also has to do with our age, adult but not quite adult. We don't want to accept the fact that life will probably be lame from here on out and are reluctant to fully grow up.
Advice? Good luck.
>>
Some good posts ITT.

The last paragraph of >>1186512 spoke to me especially strongly. I long epitomized that disengaged, navel-gazing, and frankly cowardly mindset, until I realized that by doing so I was exacerbating my own problems. My biggest goal in life now is to do what anon is talking about: engaging with the world, doing stuff, caring, taking risks, and allowing myself to be vulnerable.

Anyway, not sure how to advise you, OP, but I'm inclined to agree with the first response. More travel might not be the solution. I think travel is best when it leads you to greater appreciation and understanding of your own home.

Good luck.
>>
>>1186454
Youre not in jail OP. Plan your next trip and give yourself something to look forward to. Then work to make it a reality.
>>
Realizing my original stay was garbage.
>>
>>1186454

Traveled quite a bit in my life. When you come back from a trip, archive all your photos, document all the activities, critique all the adventures you've had. Start planning and researching your next adventure.
>>
Yea man, im 25 also and have done 18 months of traveling in the last 3 years.
The only cure i've found for all the problems you mention is to go away again, its like a drug honestly.
Thread posts: 15
Thread images: 1

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.