[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

ITT: Friendliest city/country you've visited or lived

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 117
Thread images: 17

File: Taiwan_Fotolia[1].jpg (7MB, 5616x1872px) Image search: [Google]
Taiwan_Fotolia[1].jpg
7MB, 5616x1872px
ITT: Friendliest city/country you've visited or lived in.

pic related
>>
>>1185399
>pic related
i agree
>>
Nepal, with the exception of Lukla
>>
>>1185399
Taipei for me as well I guess

I cannot count the amount of times people stopped to help me or ask if they could help.
>>
>>1185399
Turkey. Haven't been in a while, hopefully it is still like that.
>>
+1 to Taiwan in general, easily one of the friendliest countries out there

Osaka has never been unkind as well
>>
>>1186306

Taiwanese people are lovely, genuinely kind
>>
>>1186607

I've been to Tokyo... really wasnt my kind of place, people were quite cold. I'm planning on visiting Osaka soon so its good to hear the city mentioned together with Taiwan.
>>
Cuba hands down for me
>>
>>1186658
agree with this, the people were always friendly and helpful and never ask for anything in return like many other places.
>>
File: 1472530625210.gif (2MB, 300x262px) Image search: [Google]
1472530625210.gif
2MB, 300x262px
>>1185399
In my travels:

Medellin, Colombia.
Manchester, Vermont, in the U.S.
Portugal.
>>
>>1186658
>>1186661

would love to visit cuba so bad
>>
>>1185399
Taiwan is such a lovely country. Lovely people, lovely food, lovely landscapes.

I miss living there
>>
Abacos
Generally chill and friendly people
>>
The whole Balkan region is massively friendly, particularly Albania, Bosnia and Romania.
>>
>>1185399
Colombia by far
>>
>>1185399
Bordeaux, France
>>
>>1187669
Very true, lovely people. They have a certain directness that is both very charming and confusing for me as a nothern european.
>>
File: image-02_st_johns.jpg (162KB, 1000x753px) Image search: [Google]
image-02_st_johns.jpg
162KB, 1000x753px
>>1185399
pic related
been all across Canada, but St. John's and Newfoundland in general has some of the nicest people in a very unique way
they know they have faults but aren't particularly concerned with hiding, them, they're very talkative, they may seem nosy but they just want to get to know you
also, newfoundland conversations are a piece of raw beauty at work, so much unique dialect which makes it pretty neat to see
they take a view of seeing many negative things as endearing, and that there are very few topics that are off the table of conversation
it's kind of like a dark humour thing, "my wife ran away, half my house blew down by i still got my bologna" etc

here's the newfie accent 2bh

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-vWlIvfQTck&t=9s
>>
>>1186658
>>1186661

are you cuban or do you look cuban? where exactly have you been and what did you like about it? when i was there, people where begging me for money the whole time
>>
>>1187674
This, also spent some time with some locals in Curacao and they were amazingly warm and friendly.

Also was in Kuwait round the national holiday, and everybody from a retired Air Force Colonel to some kids driving around who stopped to talk was amazingly nice.
>>
Talkeetna, Alaska.
>>
Kosovo first. Never received so much love in a single place. I would walk in the centre of the capital Prishtina and random people would ask me how I were, combined with women waving at me from their cars while they were passing by.

Second comes Morocco. Many try to scam you if you are a solo traveller, but once you get to know the friendly people they are genuinely some of the nicest people you could meet in your life.

Third is Turkey. Very hospitable people, I felt so safe there I hitch-hiked at night once.
>>
>>1185399
My friend went to Taiwan in October. Stayed with his friends family and he remarked how kind they were towards him.

Jelly af.
>>
Slovenia.
>Bartender gave me her leftover lunch because all nearby restaurants were closed that evening
>Ticket inspectors didn't fine me for not having a ticket; instead showed me how to purchase one and wished me well
>Super friendly and helpful people in general
>>
Probably Japan or Vietnam
>>
I'm going Taiwan with a friend in late January, glad to see all these comments. Any advice going over there?

22 year old Irish male
>>
>>1188575
im white british, possibly the least cuban looking person going, don't recall anybody begging me for money but then again i was never in any of the tourist hotspots so to speak so perhaps that's why.
i went to havana for about a day but stayed in the vedado area as it was beyond my control so didn't get to see the old town etc, then i spent a month on the isle of youth.
I think what i liked about cuba particularly was how backwards and daft much of it was, and that most of the cubans i met were incredibly friendly and seemed genuinely pleased to have you around
>>
>>1188686
awww shucks, youre too kind anon
>>
>>1185399
Adelboden Switzerland

I know it's not suprising, but a family literally celebrated Christmas with me because i mentioned that I wasn't able to make it back to the states

I met the father of the family a couple hours before and he invited me to some personal shit like that, was one of the best Christmas' I have ever had

The Swiss go fucking hard for Christmas
>>
File: IMG_1722.jpg (2MB, 4032x3024px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_1722.jpg
2MB, 4032x3024px
>>1188901
Also the people in the Czech Republic love Americans for some reason, if you go outside of Prague and know basic Czech, you will be the center of attention no matter where you go

Pic related, only $1 USD for 3 fucking awesome beers, God i am counting the days until I am back there
>>
>>1188794

what exactly means friendly to you? havanna was hell to me..

>what i liked about cuba particularly was how backwards and daft much of it was

nice that you could enjoy it while most of the cubans dont really want to live in country that is backwards like that. when i was there, they had no realistic chance to leave the country, no access to real money. but of course most people there want internet smartphones and all the other goods like the rest of the world has. they didnt look happy with the situation at all and would do anything for some real money.

i wonder what this whole thread is about. i mean what are you doing to be friendly to people traveling in your country? invite them to your home? how friendly are people where you live and do you want to be treated different when you travel? i like it when i get treated like everybody else. i expect people to be polite and further dont give a fuck about me. some people sound like they want celebrations and presents from locals just for beeing there..

however, i like people in countrys like spain, portugal and greece e.g., hated it in cuba and egypt. they are poor people and i feel sorry for them but i cant enjoy it when people only see me as a $..
>>
>>1185399
I am Korean and the best friends I have ever made were in rural Australia.
>>
>>1188774

The north has Jiufen, the oceanside town that Spirted Away was based on. For sights, Taipei
has 101, Elephant Mountain, Taiwan Democracy Memorial Park, and Tamshui. For art, it has

Huashan 1914 Creative Park, Songshan Creative Park & MajiMaji. If you like Myanmarian food,

go to Huaxin rd aka "Little Myanmar". Night Marketwise, Raohe & Linjiang have tons of good

food.

The east coast is a nature lovers paradise, you have Yilan / Hualien / Taidong. Yilan I've
yet to go to, but have heard the scenery's good, and it has the Kavalan Whiskey distillery.
Hualien has Taroko Gorge which is impressive. Taidong can take you to some of the outer
islands, Green Island & Orchid Island.

Down south, you have Tainan, Kenting, and Kaohsiung.

Tainan is the old capital, and now the food center of Taiwan. If you like history, go to
Anping or Chikan Tower. For art, go to Qimei Museum, The Cultural Center or Xinmei rd. For
eating as much good food as you can, just walk around Guohua rd / Youai rd, or go to Huayuan

night market. You can also get to Penghu Island from Anping.

Kaohsiung is a lot like Tainan, but with more western influence. Here you can find good
European / American food. As for places to see, go to Pier 2, LDR, Xiziwan, Lotus Pond, Fo

Guang Shan Temple, Monkey Mountain, Rueifang night market, Cijian Island, Xiaoliuqiu.

Kenting is where everybody goes to the beach.

As for the west, you have Alishan National Park if you like ancient trees. Ershui / Jiji for
cycling in rice paddies / mountains. Yuanlin for a good small town experience. Taichung for
Indian food and Luce Chapel. Miaoli for Tea Sage Hut.

Lmk what you're in to and I can give you more specific suggestions
>>
>>1188575
poor people will beg for money no matter wherever you are. Doesn't mean they're not friendly
>>
>>1189009
That has not been my experience at all. I have been to plenty of dirt poor countries where no one begged or tried to rip me off. And not so poor countries where everyone tries to beg or rip me off.
>>
File: pingxiline1.jpg (844KB, 2592x1936px) Image search: [Google]
pingxiline1.jpg
844KB, 2592x1936px
>>1188774
Depends where you are. Taipei isn't that fantastic, but a lot of the areas near Taipei are. Jiufen is great, but personally I liked Pingxi a lot. It's more off the beaten track (for Western tourists at least, it's packed with locals) but the Pingxi railway line has a ton of awesome places on it and the views are awesome. It's a highlight of my time there. Pic related is from some town on there, forget which one, they're all very picturesque.

Down south is Kaohsiung. I got horribly lost there and ended up hiking up the wrong side of the mountain I was going to. Still very nice, and they have a beautiful harborfront. Fo Guang Shan is also worth checking out for the sheer grandeur.

Taichung has a really cool modern art museum, I'd recommend that, however inside the city there is unfortunately not much to do. Baguashan is a short train ride away if you want to see a big Buddha statue, and it's reasonably close to Sun Moon Lake which has a lot of nice scenery.

Alishan is really touristy, but deservedly popular. I was there during tourist season, and there are still enough paths that you can wander around without any throngs of tourists. It's going to be pretty fucking cold in January though, but you might even see some snow, which could be a positive. Even in summer it gets down to single digits, in winter it'll probably be near or below zero most days. In fact if you like mountains at all you should bring plenty of winter wear, since everywhere over 1000 metres is going to be freezing.

I've stayed there for a total of about half a year, but unfortunately never been to the East Coast. I have a ton of kind of shitty resolution pictures, might dump a couple since they still do a good job of showing what places look like.
>>
Everywhere I've been in the US except NoCal, Seattle and Oregon to a smaller degree was extremely friendly.
It always shocks me seeing how friendly burgers are especially when the stereotype is about us canadians being the nice ones.

Walloons are chill as fuck too.
>>
>>1187690

Sounds exactly like the Cape Breton accent. People where I come from (Cape Breton) are hella friendly too.

I would say Cape Breton and Halifax -- maybe all of Nova Scotia (?) to be one of the friendliest places in the world. Maybe it's because I'm just used to growing up in that culture, but everyone is extremely polite, friendly, and just a pleasure to talk to.

>>1188603

Being in Kuwait during national day isn't a great example. Some Kuwaiti people can be nice, but so many of them are just so damn arrogant, rude, and disrespectful. You haven't seen enough of the country.

>>1188636

Had too many experiences of people trying to scam me in Morocco. Every time someone tried to act friendly towards me, my warning signals went off, and it inevitably would lead to them trying to sell me some piece of shit. I even got scammed by the people running the fucking hostel I stayed at (which had like an 85%+ rating on HostelBookers).

The friendliest foreign country I ever travelled to would be without a doubt Jordan. Everyone there was extremely nice, friendly, and helpful. An old man in the middle of nowhere gave us very thorough directions at like midnight, had his son bring some tea to our car, and then invited us inside. Genuinely kind, caring people who are always willing to help out.
>>
>>1185399
Got to add another vote for Taiwan. I was stranded in the middle of nowhere after hiking, it was almost midnight and I was totally drenched since it was raining heavily. This nice couple who spoke no English managed to offer me a ride to Taipei and even gave me a towel to dry off and some of these nuts that are a popular snack there. They offered to stop by a 7-11 and get some real food for me, but I didn't want to trouble them so we just drove to the nearest subway station.
>>
>>1188928
when i said backwards and daft i wasnt referring how poor they were/ how bad conditions were such as how they have to go around in horse and cart, i meant some of their cultural querks like the games they played in bars, how the people acted day to day, and how different it was from my culture.
i agree with what you're saying regarding treatment by locals, i'd rather they went about their buisness but were still helpful and friendly, which is how i am with tourists where im from as i want them to enjoy my country and feel welcome, not because i want money from them.
Most of the Cubans i interacted with i'd see and work with every day so i guess they saw me as a person rather than simply a source of money, hence why we seem to have had different experiences.
>>
>>1188903
>the people in the Czech Republic love Americans for some reason

Well American tourists are quite rare in here and we are kinda surprised when we encounter one. Anyway, surprised to make the list as people in here seems bit cold for foreigners but that is due to our honesty, so if we smile that does not mean we dont like you just that we dont give a fuck about you.
>>
>>1189108
*don't smile
>>
>>1188903
I love how beer in the Czech Republic is literally about the same price as water.
>>
>>1186653
Lel wanting friendliest in the cold metropolitan capital.
>>
Florida. People would just start conversations with me in the elevator, queue etc. In Europe, everyone seems like a sad cunt in comparison. Especially England.
>>
>all of this shilling for Taiwan
it's not necessary
>>
>>1188932
F U L L
U
L
L
>>
>>1189017
Thanks so much! please dump all you got

We don't know exactly where to stay, but were thinking of Kaohsiung. Would you recommend staying, and hopefully working here?
>>
>>1189255
We're really nice until we get behind the wheel
>>
Can't say. Here's are some rankings I just came up with on the spot:

>Most talkative

Indians. Lots of decent people there, but some of them just don't know when to shut the fuck up. I can only take so many "what country? How you like India?"'s before I want to punch somebody.

>Most fun

Colombians. All-around nice people. I had a blast there. Although I've been to India seven times and lived there for a year and a half, my month in Colombia was probably my best trip in terms of sheer fun.

>Most hospitable

Definitely Iraqi Kurdistan. People would give me money just for existing and being American. A few times, when I went into restaurants, the wait staff would wave me over and share their own homemade food with me. A cafe-owner in Duhok thought I'd served with the military, stopped what he was doing, and came to drink tea with me and chat in awful English for about an hour.

Close contenders would be Turkey and also India, but a lot of young Indians are really cringe-y when they try to be nice.

>Best for hitchhiking

Fucking Iceland. Went there right after a break-up and it was horribly depressing. However, I rarely had to wait to get rides except in spots frequented solely by tourists (like Skaftafell). Icelanders would come to a full stop on the side of the highway to pick me up. Only country I hitchhiked where I was routinely picked up by single women (was hitchhiking to Istanbul and didn't get another ride from girls again until I was thumbing my way from Belgrade to Sofia).
>>
>>1189338
>chatty Indians.

I hear you on that. I come from a cricket playing country, if Indians figure that out they'll literally go full autism on cricket for hours.
>>
>>1189288
>>/int/

And stay gone
>>
>>1189343

Don't get me wrong - a lot of them are genuinely nice people, but many don't know when to shut the fuck up. I mean, if I'm sitting on the Metro listening to music with my eyes closed, it's probably not your cue to run up and go, "bro, what country? USA? Canada? Wow, you from Michigan? That's near California, right? My cousin brother ki bhabhi ka son living Texas mein, you know Texas, na? blah blah blah"

But again, usually nice and upbeat people, just don't know when to take a hint.

(can you tell which country I just got back from?)
>>
>>1189346
I've found most Indians quieten down momentarily if you give them some fenni, but only because they can't drink with their ears
>>
>>1189350

Am I the only person who thinks fenni tastes like shit?
>>
File: harbor1.jpg (541KB, 2592x1936px) Image search: [Google]
harbor1.jpg
541KB, 2592x1936px
>>1189311
I know a few people who live there and they all seem to like it. It's very modern in a way, they have an extensive and very nice subway and a lot of the buildings are in better repair than the rest of the country. Lots of outdoor stuff too if you ride the subway, in terms of places to live I'd say it's one of the best if you like city life.

Pic is of the harbor area there, nice place to hang out and walk around.
>>
File: harbor2.jpg (635KB, 2592x1936px) Image search: [Google]
harbor2.jpg
635KB, 2592x1936px
>>1189354
Here's another one of the harbor.
>>
File: harbor3.jpg (504KB, 2592x1936px) Image search: [Google]
harbor3.jpg
504KB, 2592x1936px
>>1189355
And another one from a farther out view.
>>
File: foguangshan.jpg (502KB, 1936x2592px) Image search: [Google]
foguangshan.jpg
502KB, 1936x2592px
>>1189356
And Fo Guang Shan, which is about a 40 minute bus ride away. People on the right give a good sense of scale, it's fucking massive.
>>
File: IMG_1745.jpg (2MB, 4032x3024px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_1745.jpg
2MB, 4032x3024px
>>1189113
Yeah, and it's not shitty beer like light beer, that's why i keep going back

>>1189108
Well I'm not an American who doesn't understand other cultures, i've been around Germans, Russians, and Ukranians, and they all severly give you the cold shoulder

But I really didn't experience it too much, probably because I didn't engage as much as a normal American, but all the Czech people I met at restaurants and bars were super fucking chill, also I prefer countries that don't speak english well, it gives me more of a challenge and i enjoy the trip more

pic related, fucking beautiful countryside
>>
Planning another trip into Europe with my gf, we're from the UK.

She's black and I'm white. Are there any areas/countries in particular to avoid due to racism? We're planning to head to Austria which should be okay, but I'm skeptical about going any further east. Poland, Croatia, Czech Republic etc

Thanks
>>
>>1189029
>Being in Kuwait during national day isn't a great example. Some Kuwaiti people can be nice, but so many of them are just so damn arrogant, rude, and disrespectful. You haven't seen enough of the country.

There is no all that much to see. And I have been there enough times to see most of it. It looks like dust over sand over what seems to be concrete.

People there are about like people anywhere in that part of the world.

Still, being an American in Kuwait on the national day is an amazing experience in people being just so fucking happy to see you, it is worth doing, even if it were not typical of Kuwait every day.
>>
>>1188928

for me friendliness means common human decency and thoughtfullness towards others. Living in the UK my entire life, going to Taiwan was insane. The mindset is completely different. In most western countries the mindset is very individual, people dont give a fuck about others. In Taiwan, people genuinely care about others. For example, theres no trash cans in taiwan but nobody litters. They hold on to their trash till they get to somewhere they can throw it away. In most western countries theres an abundance of trash cans, but most people litter. Even if its just small things like chewing gum and cigarette butts, it adds up.
>>
File: IMG_20160405_093101.jpg (4MB, 4032x3024px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_20160405_093101.jpg
4MB, 4032x3024px
>>1188774
my most memorable part of taiwan was driving through taroko gorge, absolutely beautiful. Also, go to yehliu, it's not far from taipei.
>>
>>1188975

Currently studying abroad in Taipei, ive been to some of these places but thanks for the list of cool places, ill definitely visit some of these!
>>
>>1189386
I think you mixed up your pictures there
(Man, I didn't think Australia could be this green)
>>
File: Cuba13 366.jpg (413KB, 2048x1360px) Image search: [Google]
Cuba13 366.jpg
413KB, 2048x1360px
>>1188575

Same here. Well, not begging for money but indirectlly u know..
>>
>>1187015
It's funny how many people say Colombians are crazy friendly. That just wasn't my experience... they weren't bad, just indifferent. Peruvians and Brazilians were dramatically friendlier.
>>
>>1189311
I lived in Kaohsiung for around 5 years, my wife comes from there. For me it was always the best city to stay in Taiwan, but I also lived in Taipei for around 2y and had some good friends in Taichung. Kaohsiung win hands down in terms of the weather (much, much less rain than in other parts), prices, chilled atmosphere, outdoor things to do (beaches, hills, bike paths, mountains), proximity to Kenting, etc.

Taichung is okay as well, but it lacks a character and Taipei is dirty, polluted, overcrowded and rainy and damp most of the year. Also, very cold in the winter time. It has, however, more jobs, more opportunities, more foreigners, more culture, more of everything, so your choice depends on if you want to stay in the center of the "action" or just chill.
>>
The only country I've been to where urban strangers were friendly to me was Burma. People would just randomly stop and ask me in broken English if I needed help or if I was lost. It was also the only Asian country I've been to where no one tried to scam me (or the only Asian country where I was scammed and didn't realize it). Burma's been cut off from mainstream tourism for so long and the Burmese are keen on showing off their country.

I remember I was exploring a pretty rundown part of Yangon (maybe Chinatown?) A member of the military stopped me for a routine check with 3 or 4 other soldiers and it turned into a conversation about why I was there and what I wanted to see. He asked to speak privately with me and I thought I fucked up and said something against the regime, but really the guy was embarrassed in front of the others and wanted to invite me to his house for a meal. I met his family and visited a pagoda and also unintentionally taught his toddler how to say "fuck" when I burnt my tongue on some soup.
>>
>>1188686
>CTRL+F Slovenia
>1 result

I'm surprised the train conductor let you off that easily. The usual code of conduct is you get to buy a ticket on the train with the standard price + 2€ penalty.

And the amount of people I tell when to get off the bus at Bled because most tourist can't possibly know which station to go off at due to shitty service, I'm kinda surprised there aren't more people posting on here lol.
>>
>>1189555
Go ride the Pingxi line as a day trip. Also go to Yehliu. I assume you've been to Yangmingshan, but in case you haven't, you should go.
>>
Taiwanese people are pretty fucked. Road rage hard, pretty impersonal people kind of but not as bad as mainlander Chinese.

The Japanese people... wow!

Philippines people are amazingly friendly. Americans and Dutch are pretty great too.
>>
>>1189744
>pretty impersonal people kind of
I've met assholes in Taiwan like anywhere, sure, but I find that in general they're really quite a bit more friendly than people in a lot of other countries. At time I've actually been annoyed with someone coming over and trying to have a conversation with their three words of English, but in the long term it just feels better that they were being friendly.

>Road rage hard
This is true though. Driving or even walking around busy roads is a bit of an adventure itself, the treacherous nature of it probably contributes to them being stressed about it.
>>
Fukuoka
>>
>>1189745

>three words of English

Are they like Indians?

>herro, what country?
>you rike Taiwan?
>you work Taiwan here or vay-cay-shun?
>me Ching-jen, who you?
>...
>...
>...
>communications: lost
>>
>>1189752
That's surprisingly accurate for at least one conversation, the only real difference being that rather than
>you work Taiwan here or vay-cay-shun?
it was
>TAIWAN, WHY?
He also yelled really loudly, I think he might have been drunk. Still was friendly and I didn't really mind, but I was waiting for a bus to come, and after a couple of exchanges like that I really wanted an excuse to leave.
>>
Now for the flip side:

Least friendly city/country

My vote goes to Seoul and Geneva
>>
>>1187669
Can I expect the same experience as a black American? I am thinking of living in Russia next year and then traveling around the Balkans. I will probably do it regardless of safety, but it would be nice to know what I can expect in terms of treatment.

Nicest people I've met are the Chinese. I am surrounded by them and have been for over a month now. They display that same willingness to help and kind interest I found in SEA but with greater frequency and consistency, maybe due to the great number of people here. Don't let your impression of Chinese tourists carry over to the native inhabitants. Although I'm in a remote place, I think this kindness and the comfy effect it has could be found everywhere in the country. Also in case anyone's interested to know, I've experienced no racism anywhere in Asia.
>>
>>1189775
As long as you meet with Russians one on one, they are most likely going to be friendly, even if they're some right wing idiots. Now, should you bump into a group of right wingers.... That may be a different story.

Not black myself, but a black American friend keeps on telling me how Eastern Europeans are friendlier than Americans. (I'm still a bit ??, but he insist on this...)

Chinese were so helpful to me every single time. Like there were times I didn't know I was lost yet, cause I just arrived somewhere. And there would be people telling me which way to go. The arrogant person I am, I was like, no, thank you, I'll find my way. Only to realize that I really needed to go the way the random strangers told me to go. Slowly I got used to just say thanks and accept the help.
>>
File: IMG_20161106_104444625_HDR.jpg (409KB, 1664x936px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_20161106_104444625_HDR.jpg
409KB, 1664x936px
>>1189689

Been to most stops along the Pingxi line,and yangminshan (pic related). will check out Yehliu!!
>>
>>1189800
I plan on going to St. Petersburg where I don't think there's anything to be concerned about regarding safety or discrimination. I'm glad you shared your friend's opinion. I've never even met but one or two individuals from Eastern Europe and they had already become Americanized so I know nothing about the people in that area besides for what I read online.

I can relate to the arrogance you mentioned. There are some things I can't get used to and don't think I will in the time that I am here. For example, a lot of my students will try to pay for my food when we eat out together but I just can't allow it. I understand that it's a tradition to treat guests, especially when invited out, but it's beyond me to accept this remarkable kindness, especially from the students. I think just seeing the altruism so naturally practiced here would imbue the lives of many Westerners with inspiration to be selfless and kind at home.
>>
>>1189028
burger here and I can corroborate our relative friendliness. I think it has a lot to do with our geographic isolation. We're friendly toward each other as well as to foreigners, but foreigners get the special treatment because they're often perceived as exotic or interesting for having travelled so far or w/e.
>>
>>1189029

I've been scammed as well in Morocco but then again a guy I met two days before hosted me in his house for one week, taking days off work, in Casablanca. Everyone was pretty welcoming once I hung out in a neighbourhood only with the locals. That is why I mention Morocco, nobody I know in Europe would host a strange one full week.
>>
>>1189509
I went with a morrocan friend to a Legia Warszawa match. Just go man, there are tourists everywhere, especially in Czechia.
>>
Georgia has friendly people
>>
File: moshi.jpg (154KB, 1024x683px) Image search: [Google]
moshi.jpg
154KB, 1024x683px
>>
Morocco or Scotland for me
>>
Portugal, especially in Lisboa and Porto. Wonderful people and place.
>>
File: yehliu.jpg (481KB, 2592x1936px) Image search: [Google]
yehliu.jpg
481KB, 2592x1936px
>>1189815
Make sure you head up the path to the island out beyond it, it has some really nice views of the coastline and the ocean.
>>
>>1188636
>kosovo
pro tip, they know you have money
>>
>>1188636
>Kosovo
I went to Pristina and that was my experience as well. I think it's partly because it's a new "country" still trying to establish itself. So whenever locals see one of the rare foreigners, they all want the foreigner to have a great experience and tell his friends back home what a great place Kosovo is. I felt the same in Palestine. An indirect message of "please tell your people back at your home how your visit was such a great experience".
>>
>>1189605
Where we're you?

The people, and the weather, are warmer in Medellin than in Bogota.
>>
>>1191917
That typo is my phone's fault.
>>
>>1191917

Not that guy, but I had the opposite experience. I found Bogotá to be considerably more friendly than Medellin. Every day I was meeting new people. Women also flirted with me on the regular, though I had a girlfriend and couldn't take advantage of it.
>>
Asia: Probably Taiwan. Japanese politeness is overrated. It's like they taught robots how to have manners.

Europe: Spain, hands down. Spaniards are lovely people for the most part.
>>
>>1187690
Agree. I've spent months in Newfoundland. Love it, planning to get a summer house there when I retire. From US/Maryland.
>>
>>1189324
Snorted.
>>
>>1189029
Cape Breton is the best
>>
>>1185399
Everywhere in morocco except marrakesh the people were amazing, went above and beyond to help you and wanted nothing in return, and they are so genuinely happy if you are enjoying yourself.
>>
>>1187690
My mom told me this too. She went on vacation to Newfoundland one time and said it was almost scary how absurdly friendly everyone was.
>>
>>1188655
my roommate went there in november.
it's his first solo travel.

can't stop singing praise of the people's kindness when he get back
>>
>>1189626
That sounds awesome. I had the same experience in Burma too. Random people coming up to us in restaurants just to talk and then paying for our meals, people inviting us to their homes, and showing us around town. All while expecting nothing in return.
>>
I know people usually say Chinese are very rude and they can't stand the culture, but to be honest I thought Chinese people were great.

They were always very chatty with me, very friendly, showing off their latest English course work or telling me about all the things in that part of China I had to try. And if you're lucky enough to be invited to dinner with a Chinese person or group they treat you to a huge dinner and don't hold back (unlike a lot of western cultures where "My treat" means "You best order the cheapest thing on the menu")

I don't know, so far I've been to Scotland, England, Austria, Ireland, South Korea, and China and Chinese have been the nicest.

Irish were great, Scottish were fucking awful. Very standoffish and hostile if you're not Scottish. English were eh. Not overly friendly but not hostile like their northern neighbors. Austrians were okay. Koreans I didn't like. For as much as they meme English into every single part of their culture they couldn't have been more off-putting. I guess it's just the culture.

My girlfriend is Korean and keeps telling me "Oh they just don't want to talk to you because if they speak English wrong it will be embarrassing" Meanwhile no taxi trip in China was complete without a taxi driver grinning ear to ear trying to practice the few words of English he knew and telling me how amazing my Chinese was everytime I said "Ni hao"
>>
>>1193277
lived in China for half a year and I wholeheartedly agree with you. Very chatty and eager to show you around.

I met a man in Xi'an who turned out to be a translator and former guide at a museum there (we met at the city museum - he was from the Provincial museum). He took me to the museum and showed me around then I met his wife (who was a tour guide at the museum) and we had dinner together. Pretty odd and fortuitous encounter - I was just about to go to the Provincial museum anyway. Tried emailing him later but he must've never got it :(

I also made a great friend when I was in Nanjing. He was from Shanghai and when went to Shanghai I stayed at his home. We actually went on an adventure to Beijing together but that's a much longer story.

Anyway, I have this love / hate relationship with China. People can be rude / manner-less in the street but incredibly kind on a different level. Bizarre.
>>
>>1185399
I lived for some years in Thailand, and although some of the bitter farang stereotypes about scams, schemes, and hypocrisy are not entirely baseless in a few parts of the country, I'd say the stereotype about warmth and friendliness is closer to the truth in my experience. This is especially true in the parts of the country that are farther from the tourist track, like virtually all of the Northeast, the part of the country I know and enjoy best. It is not hard to find places where you are the only white guy in town, or at least in the neighborhood, and people are frequently pleased and surprised to see you.

I've only seen hints of the stuff people like to complain about in a few parts of Bangkok, Chiang Mai, and a few other jaded tourist/foreigner hotspots.

It probably helps that I speak Thai (I know that speaking Thai seems to help insulate me against scams--I've literally never been ripped off), but I know people who don't who agree with me.
>>
>>1186537
No not really mate
>>
>>1189626
The burmese military and police are awesome
One guy gave me his hat, another guy gave me his army vest, everyone bought me food and cigarettes
Drank whisky on a train from 3am for about 12 hours with some navy guys

Shame when they're not being nice to foreigners they're genociding a dozen ethnic minorities
>>
File: 1479420329076.png (646KB, 800x798px) Image search: [Google]
1479420329076.png
646KB, 800x798px
>>1189338
>Definitely Iraqi Kurdistan
>>
Georgia for sure.

Even before we landed in Tbilisi, a guy on the plane had offered to show us around. His mother ended up driving us home in the middle of the night so we wouldn't have to take a cab.

He showed us around the old town and paid for our khinkali (which are fucking amazing) and we met a bunch of other cool people on the trip.

10/10 country
>>
Friendliest places I've been were places where the local racism worked in my favor (as a pasty white guy) and they weren't used to seeing foreigners.

I'd say the central highlands of Vietnam were by far the friendliest. My white friends and I were absolute celebrities everywhere we went throughout there on our motorcycles. It was seriously nuts. But apparently to other vietnamese they're generally backstabbing assholes (like the vietnamese are to white people in hanoi/saigon/hoi an where they see lots of foreigners).

The most genuinely friendly country would have to be Taiwan. Even when they're outside of their country they're still the friendliest people I've met.

People always told me that Thais were insanely friendly, but I think that was before the deluge of tourists.
>>
Scotland hands down. Glasgow especially. They are embarrassingly nice and happy and pleasant people. Edinburgh less so, but it's really amazing just how hospitable and pleasant they are in comparison to everywhere else. In scandinavia they can be nice, but i always feel judged. In Scotland it's truly blessed with genuinely nice people who just care for one another's wellbeing. What a beautiful country.
>>
>>1195649
t. Alex Salmond
>>
>>1195649
Agreed with Glasgow. I lived there for a year and all my pals from the UK were giving it a lot of shit. Was kinda regretting my choice because of the terrible reputation but when I got there I found it a city full of open and friendly people. I can't even count how many times I got along with complete strangers in the train, pub, wherever. One dude paid for my train ticket when I was explaining the controller I had no money. Going out for a fag meant a 100% chance of being chatted up. I sat down in a bar and people invited me over to their table cause I was alone. I think all the unis make it a very young and vibrant city aswell. It does have its rough side though, that much is true. But coming from a big, touristic city where everybody just minds their own business, it was mindblowing how friendly and welcoming everybody was.

So yeah, visit Glasgow. The weather is shite, and the city is ugly as fuck, but the banter is top notch. This message is brought to you by Nicola Sturgeon
>>
>>1191917
I was in Medellin for 3 months, met tons of people. The women were quite sweet but crazy flaky. The men were mostly indifferent. It was noticeably friendlier in places in Colombia that weren't so saturated with tourism, like Barranquilla.
>>
>>1193277
I hated Korea. Most that I've met were rude or rather generally selfish. I joined the queue to a taxi stand and was asking the girl in front of me to take the next one since it's her turn but she doesn't even respond. So I take it but taxis there are so picky. Anyway, then some other girl steals our taxis with no regard for the line. Also rode their trains and I haven't seen any person offer their seat to the elderly.

Kiwis are always top of my mind nicest and friendliest, to the point of naivety sometimes.

Japan is super polite, not friendly but if you ask for help they will do their best.

China is mixed bag, either fullblown assholes or angels.

I also liked Londoners, I notice they warm up to you if you bring on the bantz
Thread posts: 117
Thread images: 17

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.