[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

People who use carry on bags only: What do you use, and have

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 21
Thread images: 2

File: CarryOn-Pic-1024x977.jpg (137KB, 1024x977px) Image search: [Google]
CarryOn-Pic-1024x977.jpg
137KB, 1024x977px
People who use carry on bags only:
What do you use, and have you been able to take them on budget airlines without problems, or do you pay extra?
Is it even worth getting a smaller bag to skirt around extra costs?

Right now I have an eBags Weekender (largest size to still count as a carry on) and it was great over the summer back and forth to Europe, but I'm not sure it would work with budget airlines such as Norwegian or WOW unless I want to pay extra.

Therefore I'm looking for suggestions that might be a bit smaller.

Typical dimensions (what I currently have now): 56x45x25 / 22x9x14 inches

Norwegian: 55x40x23cm / 21.5x15.5x9 inches (why is this just barely different?

WOW: 42 x 32 x 25 cm / 16 x 12 x 10 inches (is this realistic?)
>>
>>1183718
I'm a standby traveler most of my life, so only carryon most of the time.
I use a wheeled Travelpro Crew bag when I do underseat only, and might pair that with a garment bag from Hartmann if I have some dressy outfits to pack.
I usually like a 4 wheeled Delsey, or Samonsite for overheads that _may_ get checked, and I might remove a smaller bag from that bag, to go with me as my underseat (my personal item).
I am kind of a bag collector, to tell the truth. My whole family travels or are pilots. The new smaller overhead bags come into play with airlines who post the newer dimensions, whereas the US airlines who did post them, are kind of remodeling the overheads now from the smaller ones that came with the plane to a length that allows them to go in there wheels first. Depends who you fly, in other words. Also depends on your equipment on your routes. I don't mind commuter jets where I actually hand off the bag right into agents hands to toss in the belly of the plane as I board. I like to keep line of sight on my carryon belongings. Just be prepared to be forced to check a bag, is what I am saying.
Tumi and some other names call the smaller one "international carry on" in the language. Honestly, I find it hard to pack one of those, without a 2nd item fully stuffed too. It's a true overnight bag that doesn't leave room for a different pair of shoes (if you are tall).
>>
>>1183718
for a 1-month trip abroad:
- 3 underpants
- 3 t-shirts
- 3 pair of socks
- 1 pair of flip flops
- 1 light coat
- 1 medicine bag
- 1 basic hygiene bag
- 1 pajama set
- electronics (e-book, tablet, etc.)
And yes, I had a lost luggage experience.
>>
>>1183718
I have used an Ogio bag for years. It is a tank. It can be expanded if you need but you have to check it.

http://ogio.com/travel/layover-bag
>>
Osprey Porter 46
>>
>>1183726
>I'm a standby traveler most of my life

I'm sorry, what is this? Never heard of such a thing.
>>
>>1185089
You tell the airline where you'd like to go and then wait at the airport to see if any seats open up at the last minute. If one does they sell you the seat at a discounted rate. If one doesn't then you wait for the next flight. Since they can't guarantee what flight you'll be on you can't check any bags, you have to take carry on only.
>>
>>1185507
No, it's buddy passes in my case.
>>
If you have nothing but a backpack, is it okay to squish/fold it to meet allowable dimensions?

I have a teardrop-shaped backpack that's technically oversized.

However, there's a generous amount of empty space at the top, so if I fold it down, I can reduce its height by 8 inches.

The width is 1 inch over limit, but it's mostly clothes, so with even the slightest bit of squeezing, I can make it fit.

Is this allowed?
>>
>>1185531
>allowed
Well, there is no strict law about the sizes, so it probably is.
I regularly see folks on the plane (in economy, not in business or first where you are "allowed" to take larger stuff) with pieces of luggage that are nowhere near close to the "allowed" dimensions. But this is with "expensive" carriers, from what I have heard, low costs might be different.

Personally, I kinda do the same as you:
I have a really nice shoulder bag, but technically, it's over the limit, but since the only thing that can't be compressed is my laptop, and that is smaller than the max size, I always take it with me and haven't had any problems so far. But it's not too far off, I guess something really obviously oversized might be different.
>>
btw there seems to be an unwritten rule that backpacks of any size can be taken on board. so if you want to pack a lot, buy a backpack.
>>
>>1183718

I use a 45 L pack. I hate checking luggage, it's a pain in the ass and expensive. I hate people who check luggage. Just pack less you stupid shits.
>>
>>1185691
>I hate people who check luggage.
why?
Unlike the people who haul everything with them in the cabin they do not affect those who don't at all. Or do you wait at the baggage carousel anyways?
The fuckers with fuckhuge carryon on the other hand overstuff the overhead bins, forcing you to put stuff under the seat, reducing your fucking small legspace even more, and hold everyone up when boarding or leaving the plane, by trying to stuff or grab all their shit they have with them and spread all over the plane.

> it's a pain in the ass and expensive.
If you get some good stuff, it's not at pain at all, and expensive? Most flights have it included anyways, and if not, its something like 25€/$35, which is quite OK for the added comfort.

>Just pack less you stupid shits.
Not everyone is a real traveller who's hanging around the warm tropical beach all day in just a smelly board short and flipflops.
>>
File: IMG_0934.jpg (118KB, 1024x682px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_0934.jpg
118KB, 1024x682px
I use a carry on from Raden. Love it but in retrospect I honestly was an idiot and spent way too much on a "smart" suitcase.
>>
Can a 50+15L backpack fit carry on if I take the 15 off?
>>
>>1185706

I had a nigger wanting to put his extra crap in the seat in front of mine. I'm 6' and with a 14 flight, I needed the leg room.
>>
>>1185750
Easily
>>
>>1185706
All of this.

>>1185691
>I use a 45 L pack. I hate checking luggage, it's a pain in the ass and expensive. I hate people who check luggage. Just pack less you stupid shits.
WTF deal with your anger, no one has to be just like you. I am a frequent flyer, and I've learned 40 years ago, and yes I'm old, that you don't carry all your shit on your back for a weekend trip, or you arrive utterly exhausted from hauling 40lbs like a damn workout, up and down concourses. There are reasons some people check luggage, and reasons other people use carry-ons with 4 wheels. Want to know what pilots and flight attendants use, light and real travelers as they come? It's not backpacks, that's for sure. I can push my carryon with my pinky finger in front of me, and watch it glide like glass and watch it carry the weight of any personal items and coat, scarf and gloves too. My shoulders, neck, back and the soles of my feet are like I've had a spa day, not a workout. I can hit the ground running the moment I arrive. If I have any debate whatsoever about what I might need to pack for the weather? I might just pack a checked bag and skip the decision making and pack it all.

Or, I might be doing things you don't do, like packing local liqueur to bring home that you can't take carryon, gifts for friends, or scuba gear and other reasons for a checked bag that have zero to do with your simple-minded packing less scenario. Know what I pay for checked bags? $0. My credit card perks takes care of it on most airlines. I even get a 2nd checked bag, which I actually use about 1 out of 6 times I travel, so I shop and fill 'er up with whatever I happen to see. I often buy art and it can be large, or really fragile to be smushed up.
>>
>>1185754
>I had a nigger wanting to put his extra crap in the seat in front of mine. I'm 6' and with a 14 flight, I needed the leg room.
Well, you tell someone simply "no." It's a matter of health, you could die from a blood clot. That's your right and that is your space. I don't know a single person who would let someone put crap under their feet if they're tall. I'm tall. If I arrive to a row and stuff is already there, I pull it right out, and hand it to them now that they know someone is sitting there, and then step aside so they can exit and find an overhead. And, when they can't, doesn't matter, I'm sitting down and they deal with the flight attendant. Don't be afraid to click that button than have a confrontation with some person. It's their job to sort that out, and they'd prefer to do it not you. Just be matter of fact. You're not a pushover. They'll take that guy's bag and check it! You will not be asked to give up your legroom for anything but your own bag.
>>
>>1183718
I use a goruck gr2 thats about 42L.

Fits under every modern airline chair.

For month long trips i pack:
1x dress boots that also double as casual walking boots
1x shower/sand thongs
1x running shoes
2x chinos, khaki and navy
3x long sleeve button up, white, blue, khaki
1x gym shorts
2x dress socks
1x tie, black

And in winter i carry a pea coat or trench coat depending on if its going to snow or rain.

I purchase toiletries, shirts, socks and briefs in whatever country i go to. If i go to a new country i toss my cheap shit i bought and buy new ones.

Half the time i only dry clean, which ends up being cheaper than multiple trips to the laundry. I usually visit europe nowadays, so my clothes keep pretty clean.
>>
>>1185750
Filled to the brim with no way to compress? Doubtful
Partially filled and compressed to fit the dimensions? Probably.
There's really only one way to find out for sure.

If you're within the airline's guidelines you should have no problems. If you're trying to go beyond that it's a case by case thing, sometimes they won't care but sometimes they might hit you with the excess baggage charge.
Thread posts: 21
Thread images: 2

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.