[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

How many languages do you speak, and how has being multi-lingual

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 32
Thread images: 5

File: 1478931712527.gif (100KB, 500x300px) Image search: [Google]
1478931712527.gif
100KB, 500x300px
How many languages do you speak, and how has being multi-lingual availed you in the past?
>>
>>1182609
One. English, it's done me pretty well.
>>
French and English fluently, some basic German and I babble in Spanish and animespeak.

It always helps with the locals.
>>
Fluent in English, Italian and German. Spanish and Portuguese a bit, Understand a lot of French, Dutch, Danish and others.
I grew up speaking 3 languages and it is my biggest asset. Has gotten me this far and I will rely on this my entire life.
>>
speaking only a few sentences viet and every vietnamese person is so much more friendly and open towards you after you start to speak. I love it
>>
File: 20160605_141011.jpg (2MB, 3264x1836px) Image search: [Google]
20160605_141011.jpg
2MB, 3264x1836px
English

>Basic German

Have not been to DACH yet.

>Intermediate Russian

Russian has actually helped me befriend people; told this story before but found some Russians in Egypt at Taba and were a god-sent.
>>
>>1182609
>Dutch
Abroad? Nah.
>English
Obviously.
>French
Helped a lot in Morocco
>Italian
I'm an obvious foreigner, but I speak it pretty well. E-Z to pick up Italian chicks abroad.
>German
ibid.
>>
English
Basic Korean
Basic Japanese
When i travelled to Japan and Korea they were useful. Helps for flirting, going to restaurants or other shopping. Otherwise useless. I plan on using Russian in Russia/Ukraine
Learning Russian now. i only know Cyrillic,"Hello" "good bye" and "Give me vodka"

Most big cities have English so I've always felt comfortable with that and body language.
>>
Native Hungarian
Fluent English
Okayish Dutch
Poor but passable German
Reliable tourist level Italian
Poor Swedish
Basic tourist level Slovakian/Mandarin/Bosnian/Romanian/French/Malaysian/Russian/Spanish
Basic conversational Korean

It always saves both money and time to speak a little bit. Countless times when I see other tourists ripped off much more than me, just cause I can fake being able to speak the local language a bit. Also I don't have to spend time translating a lot of stuff on the spot, cause I understand it already. Makes more sights accessible, too, some stuff people don't translate to English even in tourists areas. I can go on...
>>
I speak Korean pretty well. I've found it's pretty useful. For some reason there's tons of Korean travelers almost wherever you travel and even if you are ethnically Korean they won't accept you as one of their own if you don't speak or are bad at Korean. Korean people will also almost always go out of their way to be friendly to each other and help each other out when they encounter other Koreans abroad in a place where there are not many Korean people.
>>
>>1182609
English and Arabic. I also understand basic Spanish. The Middle East and West are accessible to me, which has exposed me to an interesting diversity in people and cultures.

It's nearing my fourth week in China, but I've been hesitant to try and learn the language because I don't intend to stay here for a very long time. I feel ashamed to admit it, but I'm just not that interested in learning it, though I love the Chinese people. I'm thinking that a gf might change that, but I don't know if it's worth the time.

I want to spend while in Russia after this, so I'm thinking of starting to learn the language while here. I was considering Rosetta Stone, anyone have a better recommendation?
>>
>>1182609
English has gotten me through India, Europe, and Mexico fine. Japan was another story.
>>
>>1183095
Hey there NL bro, Zurich guy here.

I lost my phone and didn't backup contacts for years, could you send me a quick whatsapp to my old number?

Any ski trips planed for next year?

Also on topic:
Nativ German
Fluent English
Fluent French
Okayish Spanish
Okayish Italian

Tourist tier mumbeling Slovakian, Turkish, Ivrit, Portuguese and Chinese

Yeah it's always useful to speak at least some words to get around and it also helps to get good jobs.
>>
Nativ French
Good English (B2-C1)

English is very practical. I watch my films and shows in original versions so it helps a lot and it's very appreciable. Also I speak english with people I meet online and with who I play video games, even when like me they aren't English native speakers.

Also I speak a bit of spanish. It barely helps me.
>>
Fully fluent in English and Spanish
Can understand and communicate with Portuguese and Italian people
Very basic French and German

I wanna learn a moonrune language but part of me wonders why I should
>>
Trilingual in french, dutch and english.

Understands perfectly German and can make myself understand in a broken German.

It's a real asset.
>>
>>1183148
How can you love the chinese people? They are the most despicable people I have ever met.

Anybody who knows Asia would agree they are the scum of that continent.
>>
>>1182609
English
German
Estonian

I live in the US so its done nothing for me. Spanish would be useful but I dont want to talk to beaners.

I only learned estonian because of a qt. Learning japanese now because vidya.
>>
>>1182609
Only fluent in English.
Can get by in French.
Shopping/restaurant Spanish

Studied Portuguese and Cantonese, but have lost everything I used to know in these languages through lask of use.
>>
>>1182609
>English
duh
>French
lived in Quebec so I mean
next destination is Morocco so I hope it's helpful
in Paris they just spoke English anyways
>>
I only speak AMERICAN.
>>
File: hqdefault.jpg (29KB, 480x360px) Image search: [Google]
hqdefault.jpg
29KB, 480x360px
English and Spanish fluently. I'm Hispanic, but looking at me you'd think I was some kind of SE Asian if anything. I'm actually half Guatemalan and Mexican. I also took four years of high school German and 2 years of college level German, so that has actually helped me hook up with some Euro sloots in my travels.

I'm in the process of learning Russian just because I think Slavic girls are hawt as fuark and the 2018 world cup is just around the corner.
>>
File: 1375423290236.jpg (69KB, 500x405px) Image search: [Google]
1375423290236.jpg
69KB, 500x405px
ITT people vastly overestimating their language abilities.
>>
Conversational French
Survival German, Italian, Spanish
I can read Anglo-Saxon, so if I get stranded in Friesland I could write people notes.
I'm working up to conversational Tamazight by next April.

Visiting a country without speaking the language is like watching a film on mute. Learn the language, go back to the country, and you'll find yourself saying "oh. I get it now."
>>
English, Pimsleur level Swedish
>>
French native
English fluent
Spanish (currently learning)

Once I'm fluent in Spanish, I think that will be enough for me
>>
File: thumbs up.jpg (39KB, 428x288px) Image search: [Google]
thumbs up.jpg
39KB, 428x288px
>english
>kindergarten-tier mexican spanish
>"yes", "no", and "thank you" in the language of wherever i'm headed
>>
>>1184454
This
Been learning russian in Russia for almost 2 months, can barely survive. If you think your little meme course on "privyet" and "do svedania" can get you anywhere you're very far off
>>
>>1184400
Maybe it's because I'm in a remote university, but those I'm surrounded by are just great. Everyone is so friendly and eager to be helpful. Imagine expressing the slightest interest in anything and then having a handful of people go out of their way just to satisfy you for nothing in exchange. This is the sort of kindness you find here, but I don't take advantage of it as much as I could.

Since I posted last, I've had students take me on a trip and one in particular devote herself to helping me with the language. From the impression I've received so far, I think the Chinese are victims of prejudice. There is nothing I can think of that would have me call any of them scum. Some habits are just so different here that it's easy to understand them as rude or savage, but nothing seems to be done out of malice. Even those I find outside of campus who look like farmer peasants and who have evidently never seen a foreigner are kind and seem as though they want to communicate but are unable to because of the language barrier. Above all, there is a sincerity in these people that I admire and respect.

I'd love to know about some experiences that are different than mine. I hope you don't think they're scum only because of a few things you read online.
>>
>>1184588
Maybe it's the one that travel are scum, but this is a travel board. Interact with or around other Chinese tourists and you will understand the feelings against them. Feelings shared by locals, people who work in the travel industry, and other tourists.
>>
English (native), Portuguese (native), Chinese (native), Spanish (semi-native, don't know how to write and read though), and can engage a normal conversation in Japanese.
Pretty much English to people who doesn't speak languages that i mentioned above, but else wise, fun i guess.
>>
Erh...

Fluent:
>Danish
>English
>Norwegian
>Swedish

Conversational:
>German

Knows bits and pieces to get by:
>French
>Italian
>Spanish
>Turkish
>Arabic
>Mandarin Chinese
>Japanese
Thread posts: 32
Thread images: 5

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.