[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Hello dear trv I was hoping you could help me with my decision.

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 18
Thread images: 1

File: Iranian-American_Flags_Merged.jpg (120KB, 1097x999px) Image search: [Google]
Iranian-American_Flags_Merged.jpg
120KB, 1097x999px
Hello dear trv

I was hoping you could help me with my decision. I will have 3 weeks of holidays in late January. I would like to spend 2 of those weeks in either the US or Iran. Both destinations are attractive, although for different reasons. This is what im considering:

-I have never been to either of these countries
-I live in Beijing. It is much cheaper for me to go to Iran.
-I have American friends in different cities so that is a plus I dont have in Iran. I have an Iranian friend but he will not be there by then,
-Im almost 30 and although i have been to many countries, i ve never been to the US and i think it is about time.
-Weather is to be considered too. Some of the places I would like to visit in the US such as Seattle or Chicago, will be cold as fuck. I would stick to the Southern half of the US. Iran can get cold too, but not that cold.
-I am also worried about having an Iranian stamp on my passport and try to get to the US later. I have stamps from many Stans too and I sort of work for the Chinese government so adding Iran worries me. (I am not Chinese though)
-Silly reason, but i think it would be interesting to be in the US on January 20th when Donald Trump becomes president. Maybe riots, demonstrations... Interesting.
-A considerable problem is that I can not drive, so I cant rent a car in the US. So transportation could be a pain in the ass.
-Iran architecture, culture and food really fascinate me. I would like to go before it becomes more mainstream.

So far, I really do not know what to do. Does trv have any advice? What would you do?
>>
>>1182321
I'm a huge Iranboo, and I was about to say: fuck the USA, just go to Iran.
But then I read this
>-Silly reason, but i think it would be interesting to be in the US on January 20th when Donald Trump becomes president. Maybe riots, demonstrations... Interesting.
That would be cool. Bonus points if you could be in Washington DC that day.

Okay, now the serious part of my post.
Anyone who wants to visit both of these countries, should go to the USA first. The USA implemented a new law almost a year ago that excludes anyone from the visa waiver programme who has been to Iran, Sudan, Syria and Iraq for tourism. If you go to Iran first, you will have to apply for a visa to go to the US later. So I advice you to go to the US now, and go to Iran when the next opportunity presents itself. Iran is definitely worth seeing.
>>
First Americans have a short attention span, and I think almost all of the people upset by the election will have accepted it by then. I don't think we are going to see that much in the way news worthy protests. It might still be interesting to be in D.C. for the event.

Without more info on what you like to do, it is hard to recommend a place to visit. For history, food, and culture...maybe New Orleans. You can walk around the French Quarter and not need a cab. There might not be enough to keep you interested for two weeks though.

San Fran is good, but the weather will not be pleasant, shouldn't be terrible, but not nice.

Orlando, if you like the tourist things, like parks and such.

Most of the cities in the South, have poor public transportation. You can use cabs, or uber, but there will of course be a cost.
>>
>>1182321
I personally chose Iran over America due to the fact I'm more afraid for Iran's future. Considering how much more politically stable The U.S seems you can always go there in the future, where as though Iran seems stable right now I think it would be more vulnerable to a Syria/Libya situation or even just straight out war with one or more of it's neighbours.
>>
OP here

Thanks for your insights. I also think that Americans will have basically accepted their Trump presidency by the end of January and they will not go ape.

The Iranian stamp does worry me though. However I can always renew my passport. I think it should be allowed to ask the authorities to not stamp your passport. I went to North Korea and i did not get a stamp because i guess they know it makes very hard for many people to go to Japan, US...

I love to walk around cities I visit, walk all day. That seems to be a problem in American cities.
>>
Not OP, but also very interested in traveling to the Iran next year. I'm mainly interested in antique architecture, but would also like to experience the Iranian culture (or some of the subcultures) and see the nature, like the rainforest in the northern part of the country. What are the must-sees for me?
>>
>>1182638
>I think it should be allowed to ask the authorities to not stamp your passport
I wouldn't count on it. I assume they'll have to stick the visa in the passport anyway.

>I can always renew my passport
When filling out the ESTA, you are specifically asked if you have been to Iran, or so I've heard. So you'd have to lie.
>>
>>1182750
I guess they are forced to stamp, but i mean that in an ideal world, you should have the right to ask not to stamp

If they ask that when filling the ESTA, then that really sucks for me.
>>
>>1183019
lying is always an option
>>
>>1182677
Couch surfing is still pretty big there so if you want to find out about youth/young people culture and sub cultures it's pretty good. With the architecture Shiraz,Yazd and Isfahan are pretty interesting. Mashad has a huge mosque complex while not ancient or particularly pretty it's scale is impressive. Tehran also has a few well looked after shah era buildings that are now museums well worth looking at since you can't take photos inside, guards everywhere, which means there are not a lot of photos on the internet. Crazy over the top luxurious and very gaudy.
>>
>>1183366
this is what I call a top-tier response. thanks mate!
>>
I read that you can't get money from ATMs in Iran at the moment and that you have to make sure to import cash. What were your experiences with that? And how would you get Iranian Rials, especially when you're not at home until you go there?
>>
if you go to Iran first, could just go to Canada to experience America if there's nothing particular in America you want to see, not the same but close enough

>>1183038
get caught and be barred for life

wouldn't be surprised if in a few years the tensions fall a bit and america is less strict about it
>>
>>1184535
>I read that you can't get money from ATMs in Iran at the moment

Not sure about that as a general issue, or as an issue for nationals banking in nations that have participated in the economic sanctions. But note weakening of sanctions under current US administration, as well as possible changes in near future.

Sorry, English is not easy.

>>1184581
>in a few years the tensions fall a bit and america is less strict about it

You and I see different futures following the change of administration in the US.
>>
>>1184535
>>1184629
ATMs still don't work with foreign cards so you need to bring everything in cash eur/usd/aud and I'm assuming Canadian as well can be used. Taxi drivers accept usd so you can get a ride from the airport to a currency exchange place without having local currency. When exchanging like most places don't exchange on the street and make sure you do the last count even in licensed exchange shops. Ghazali st. near Ferdosi sqr. has legit guys with decent second market rates but also a lot of people trying to get you to exchange on the street.
>>
>>1184751
>make sure you do the last count even in licensed exchange shops
Have fun counting a hundred different bills, unless you're only changing 10 USD.
>>
>>1185989
>Have fun counting a hundred different bills

Counting to 20, 5 times, is not that taxing.
>>
>>1184751
Thank you!
Thread posts: 18
Thread images: 1

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.