[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Considering moving to Aussieland, what advice can you give

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 27
Thread images: 3

Considering moving to Aussieland, what advice can you give me about it?
>>
File: image.jpg (855KB, 1600x1002px) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
855KB, 1600x1002px
>>1182171
FUCK OFF!!!!
>>
>>1182171
Save about $5000 before going. Getting hospitality jobs like waiter or cook or cleaning jobs is super easy as long as you're not a lazy fuck. I suggest doing research on some backpacker sites on when's the busy periods in different cities and go where the work is, once you have some local experience finding more work will be easy. On the other hand don't show up in Melbourne at the start of summer when all the backpackers come here and look for the same exact jobs.

On the other hand if you have some valuable skills that Australia wants then you'll have a super easy time finding work. Even having simple office admin experience will be good enough to land a job quickly. I moved from Canada here 2 weeks ago and found a job within 5 days doing admin work.

What visa are you looking at getting?
>>
>>1182171
where are you from?
>>
>>1182171
Check out Nauru for good rel estate options for you
>>
Depends on what country you're from.

Australia isn't as great as you might think it is, unless you move to a city like Melbourne (the downside is the absolutely shit weather), or Brisbane (great weather but full of bogans).

Whatever you do though, don't go to Sydney.
>>
File: laughing.jpg (49KB, 500x350px) Image search: [Google]
laughing.jpg
49KB, 500x350px
>>1183358
>>
Cost of living is extremely high but the minimum wage is high as well so there's that. If you are unskilled, you might have some problems getting a job.

I would recommend living in Melbourne, if possible. Everyone will tell you that it's the hipster city, and it's absolutely true. Even so, from the point of view of convenience, entertainment options, food and nightlife and even the cost of rent, it's difficult to beat.
>>
>>1183257
Thanks friendo, I don't mind hospitality jobs, I've worked restaurants and shit before.

As for experience, I'm currently working in education for whatever that's worth.

And I'm not entirely sure what Visa I should get, I've also been looking at NZ visas.
>>1183355
>>1183359
I'm from America, and no, I'm not moving for any of the reasons you might be thinking.

What differences are there from Melbourne and Sydney
>>
I'm thinking of moving here as well. The place I had in mind was New Castle or just outside of it but I guess Melbourne's my best bet.
I'm currently learning machining (manual mills/lathes, CNC) as a trade. My personal choice would have been Sweden or Denmark for reasons. Sweden is known for precision equipment so a competitive job is good as far as I can tell. But what about Australia, is machining especially valuable there?
>>
>>1183589
Sydney is spread out as fuck and the further west you go into the suburbs the more notorious the gangland gets. Stay away from western Sydney. Melbourne is a much more chilled out city and designed better, it's one of the most liveable cities in the world.

Brisbane is a business city but the Gold Coast is an hour's drive from there and it's a total tourist town with beautiful beaches and shit.
>>
Best country in the world if you're PR or citizen
>>
>>1183589
Melbourne is our Newyork and sydney is our LA in a sense , obvoiusly no where near as good or extreme as those to cities, but thats the comparison. Melbourne the weather isnt as good, distinct seasons, Sydney has more beaches, better weather. The CBD's of both are also full of asians, not that that is a bad thing, as immigrants go, they are the best, but dont be surprised if you do come
>>
>>1184260

asians are basically fishmen aren't they?
>>
>>1183252
this desu, economy's full and cunts need to get this into their thick fucking skulls. Canada's the same way, please stop trying to move here unless you're an unaccompanied Japanese/Korean woman or intend on creating high-paying jobs for locals.
>>
Not OP But, Im heading to Melbourne round ending December, I'm currently 4 hours away from it. Are there any good NYE things to do in Melbourne? And what places are worth a visit west of Melbourne?
>>
>>1184546
beyond the valley music festival if you're into that
>>
If you just want a job and don't care what it is then you'll have no trouble finding work. Even if you're earning minimum wage that will be plenty for a single guy to live in a nice area (providing you're willing to share a house with a few other people), eat out/drink regularly and still save some money each week. If you're looking long term and actually want a decent career then look into what skills are in demand. The mining boom is over but there is a surge in urban construction so trades are still in demand, health and hospitality are also in demand. There is a shortage of male teachers you that could be an option for you, be prepared for some study and work in rural/regional areas for the first few years.

If you're going for a big city then Brisbane or Melbourne are your best bets. I actually like Brisbane better, it's got all the amenities of a big city without the crowds and traffic, plus it's really come a long way culturally in the past few years and now has most of the cool shit that used to be only in Melbourne and Sydney. The weather is pretty much constant sunshine which is great for 2/3 of the year but summers are absurdly hot.

Outside the big cities there are plenty of nice regional areas which would suit if you're looking for something different, I believe it also assists with the visa if you're working in a regional area.
>>
>>1183257

>On the other hand
>On the other hand

brah, how many hands you got??

Just taking a piss m8, but was wondering if you know anything about like farm/harvesting jobs. I know the minimum wage in way higher in aus (compared to canada), so would i expect to be making at least 17 AUD per hr, even at those shitty jobs? Also, Ill bike touring there soon, and currently only have the tourist eVisa, do you think some of those places would be willing to hire me under the table? Is that a common thing in aus?
>>
>>1184800
Yes you should be making at least minimum wage. There are isolated cases where employers exploit the workers through various means such as reduced pay, excess hours, excessive deductions for accommodation etc., make sure you do your homework to avoid being suckered. If you are trying to work under the table without proper documentation then the risk of that happening to you is greatly increased.

As for farm work you basically have two options. The first is to do unskilled work picking fruit, the second is to do get a job as an actual farmhand. The latter will have better pay and conditions but will require some basic skills in operating machinery and working with crops/livestock, plus they will probably expect you to stick around for a while.
>>
>>1183623
Bump
>>
>>1183252
this attitude descibes many australians, over entitled cunts (we use that word to describe our mates but im using it in a bad way), who blames all of lifes problems on immigrants yet vote for right wing political parties who strip away there working and living conditions.
>>
>>1184800
When I write shit and don't read what I wrote it sounds stupid as fuck so I'm not surprised I used on the other hand twice there.

There seem to be 2 wage structures on farms. 1 is where you get paid per hour and another per work (amount of produce picked usually). The first one pays well, you can make $18-22/h doing that. The second structure sucks ass because they say they'll pay $22/box of fruit but it takes you 2 hours to pack a box so you end up earning $11/h.

Under the table work seems to be readily available everywhere even though everyone says it's not. In my first 3 weeks in Australia I have met 5 people who work for under the table pay. The thing is, you're more likely to be exploited. Especially on farms which are mostly Asian owned now and they're fucking worse than jews when it comes to ripping people off. If you can find a farm owned by an Aussie then maybe you'll find something decent.
>>
>>1183252
This is /trv/ please go back to your containment board. I believe that your gripe is people who come here, refuse to work, enjoy government benefits and insist that we conform to their culture or play the race hate card. Many people do no fall into this category so take your FFWF rant elsewhere ya grub.
>>
>>1185855
Exactly. They are usually building site labourers or trolley pushers and obviously have to compete with low skilled immigrants. Obviously if you have more brains than this group, you'll easily get a job.
>>
>>1185855
I agree hahah
I have some pretty right field mates that will complain that they can't find a job because an immigrant has it, and then complain that immigrants are bludging off the dole (even though these same guys are living on the dole). Makes me laugh cause how can an immigrant simultaneously take your job and be bludging off the dole. Not only that, all the immigrant workers I know work their asses off. They would generally work better than an Australian national in my opinion.
>>
>>1187200
I bet it could be that they have something to prove. I'm still wracking my brain over whether I could do well here in the manufacturing sector. Could be that I'm just stressing too much. Do American/other country-earned degrees and diplomas mean much to employers there?
Thread posts: 27
Thread images: 3

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.