[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

How do I keep my cash safe when traveling? I've done plenty

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 28
Thread images: 3

File: cash-reserves1.jpg (327KB, 930x500px) Image search: [Google]
cash-reserves1.jpg
327KB, 930x500px
How do I keep my cash safe when traveling?

I've done plenty of traveling when in "safe places" but I'm interested in really testing the limits and going for an all out brawl with a 10-20k limit backpacking in SE Asia and maybe some parts of China. How do I keep my cash safe? Let's say I have 10-20k usd, do I used banks and cards? Really not sure what to do at this point.

Please help 4chan.
>>
>>1181145
Wrap up 5k and shove it in your bum.
Put 14k in bank
Buy 1k worth of "valuables" to barter with
>later in life you can say you once shit out 5 grand
>the money is safe in bank and in bum
>if you pick the right valuable to invest in you could use it as currency for your entire trip. 1,000$ in valuables could be worth up to 6,000$ to locals, barter your ass off.
>>
>>1181152
>Wrap up 5k and shove it in your bum.
>barter your ass off

But then he'll lose his $5K. I think you haven't thought your cunning plan all the way through.
>>
>>1181152
>Buy 1k worth of "valuables" to barter with
Examples of said valuables?
>>
>>1181162
Depends where, I think China has a good market for iPhones as they are "status" symbols.

>>1181152
>mfw I'm falling for your memes ._.

$10k is dangerous money to travel around. The very least you will have to declare them upon entry, if they're all cash on your person, as you can get into trouble for not doing it if you're randomly selected and searched.

Look into travel card options, that's dependent on your country and bank though. I've seen people shilling for Revolut here, don't know how good it is.

Best solution I've worked out for me is to have a medium amount of cash on me and just accept the jewing that the banks do for withdrawal.

Either that or ass-money.
>>
>>1181145
Seal it tight in a plastic bag and then strap it to your gooch or just put some in your wallet, put some behind your phone case, some in different pockets of your backpack, some in between pages of your travel documents, some in between pages of a book, roll some up and put in your socks, etc. Get creative with it.

Or just delcare it upon arrival IF you get questioned or if the money is noticed. If you're able to fly all the way to your destination and you've picked up your bag and are walking out of the terminal then obviously you probably don't have to declare at that point.
>>
>>1181145
Personally I use banks because I'm not a Jew scraping for 1-2% of my budget.

Otherwise
>money in butt
>valuables in skin

See this video for ideas : it is a very common way used by advanced travelers.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8dFALbI5uyQ
>>
>>1181145
Just withdraw it from ATMs and realise that it's not 1980 anymore.

Forget traveller's cheques for the same reason.

Do carry about $1000USD just in case you're stuck in some backwater city without international ATMs when you need to buy a bus ticket but it rarely happens, I had that happen once when I crossed a border and didn't withdraw local currency straight away, once I got to the next town with the long-distance bus station, I realised that I didn't have enough for a bus ticket.

USD can be changed basically anywhere so take $1000 in $100 notes and conceal them in your luggage etc. I stick a couple under my insoles in shoes, tucked into books, in my iboprofen packet and inside the straps/frame of my backpack. Places like that.

The best places are non-obvious stuff like the outside of your pack under flag patches or inside pack straps/frame if your pack is like that. Or in other things that you might have like a hairbrush handle or rolled up inside a disposable razor handle. Just try to remember where it all is and don't throw out your old razor or you lose $100.
>>
>>1182315
Also, spread it around different spots, even if someone rifles your stuff, you're unlikely to lose it all and if you only have $100-$200 in each spot then you can access a spot in public when you need to and you don't care that anyone saw the stash because it's empty now.

Money in shoes also helps if you're mugged, people don't *usually* steal shoes and then you still have enough to get a taxi to the hotel and maybe a bus to the embassy.
>>
>>1182315
This is true, but I still don't feel comfortable traveling without at least a couple thousand dollars US within reach.
>>
>>1181162
I heard some guys made a killing once with glass beads in America.
>>
>>1181145
I'm not sure if every division of citi bank does it but you can get visa debit cards that have no fees except what the host bank/atm charges you which is usually a couple of usd if you do withdrawals of a couple hundred a time and spread it around your luggage like the other anon suggested I think that's the best way to go. Try and get a second card if possible as well just in case one get lost/stolen or try to open two accounts if that's not possible.
>>
>>1182496
Don't forget about the blankets
>>
File: 8873837.jpg (7KB, 252x240px) Image search: [Google]
8873837.jpg
7KB, 252x240px
>>1181152
>>later in life you can say you once shit out 5 grand

>This guy gets it
>>
nigger, just dont show off your money. the thugs cant literally rob everyone. if you look like someone who has even 50€ with him, you'll get robbed though. so you should be all sweaty, wear old clothes and shoes and your suitcase/backpack should look worn out.
i dont know which country you are from, but consider investing in swiss francs. those maniacs have 1000 franc bills. they are huge, but you dont need many anyway. then take them and put them under the shoesole thingie that you can take out from the inside. 5 of those in each shoe and you're done. makes your shoe a bit more waterproof, too lel
and for everyday use maybe a prepaid card? (as in no credit into infinity, if the thugs beat you up and demand the code, you're fucked for eternity)
a bit of cash. and dont listen to that other guy that said you should get valuables. if people see that shit you're as good as dead. i'd rather hide more cash upon your person, so even a thief comes and gets some, he wont get everything. put some in your trousers' front pocketS, some in your luggage, some on some inside pockets you might have. use multiple purses, store then in different places.
i travelled around for a year in this fashion and never got robbed or my shit stolen. but i also look like a faggy homeless bum.
maybe learning some martial arts and being buff helps, dunno.
>>
>>1183470
And this, folks, is why you shouldn't post drunk.
>>
File: BUTTONED POCKET.jpg (122KB, 700x1000px) Image search: [Google]
BUTTONED POCKET.jpg
122KB, 700x1000px
>>1181145
An incredibly simple life hack that everyone forgets is buttoned shirt pockets. They're there for a reason. Every time I travel, go to concerts or attend large events I always wear a shirt with a front buttoned pocket. Put your cash in that bitch, especially the large bills. Pretty much guaranteed no pick pockets will get you this way. Sometimes I carry my ID and credit cards in there too. you can walk around all day or do cartwheels and your stuff will never fall out either.
>>
>>1181145
>hollowed out buttplug with a screw cap.

Rolls $ up, lube it, and you're good to go. They'll see it on the microwave scan at the airport though and you'll have to pull it out to prove no drugs are inside.
>>
>>1182537
>Swallowing diamonds

In reality, what would happen is that you would frantically collect, and search your shit for a week and never find them. Then two weeks later you'll shit them out, and flush.

Sad story.
>>
>>1181152
>Put 5k up your ass
>Get raped
>Rapist gets $5000 surprise for raping you

Hmmmm
>>
>>1184735
This isn't likely to happen if you are male unless you're in prison.

And rapists prefer pussy so even girls will still have their cash to pay for counseling.
>>
>>1181145
SE Asia and China are about as safe as it gets and ATMs are everywhere. You don't need any special practices there. Have a few hundred dollars of emergency money spread throughout your pack/person, as for your day to day spending just use ATMs withdrawing a few hundred at a time. Use a money belt when using public transport over long distances. Have a backup ATM card and use online banking to transfer funds to the account only when you need to withdraw, that way if your card gets jacked they can only get that amount.
>>
>>1184787
but I thought chinese ATM's only accepted domestic bank cards?
>>
>>1185460
That may be true for some banks but I had no trouble finding ATMs that would accept foreign bankcards, Bank of China and ICBC both took foreign cards and they are the most widespread banks. If you're heading into a remote part of the country just withdraw a bit extra and always keep enough in reserve to get back to an ATM in case something unexpected happens.

This was in 2013, I doubt things would have gone backwards, if anything it would be even easier to find an ATM now.
>>
>>1185498
what kind of fees did the local banks charge for ATM withdrawals

I've got a visa card, but some places (like greece) were charging me 20$ to use it
>>
>>1185500
Can't recall exactly but it wasn't more than a few USD, certainly not anywhere near $20. By the time I paid the fee charged by the ATM and my bank for foreign withdrawal it was probably costing me close the $5/withdrawal. If you're travelling for an extended period it would be worthwhile looking into one of those credit cards that don't charge for foreign withdrawals. However if you're only going for a month or two it's probably less hassle to just eat the fees, it'll only add up to ~$50 over the whole trip.
>>
>>1185500
In China they didn't charge me extra at all. Only charge came from my own bank at home (1,5 EUR per withdrawal).

I was in China last year, you have to try very very hard to be further away from an ATM than a couple of hundred meters (and I'm talking small towns here). I didn't manage to find an ATM that didn't accept foreign cards.

Problems encountered on the other hand: there were quite a few ATM's that were totally out of order, like not even on... But they are in batches, so if one doesn't work, you just walk a few steps, and there will be one that works. If there are people in line for only 2 out of 10ATM's, they're not masochists, it's because that's the one that works. Also the English option is on the first screen as far as I remember...

Also one of my friends loves cash... While it took me a minute to withdraw cash at the airport, it took us half a day to find a bank that was allowed to exchange money, and then one more hour for 4-5 bank workers to figure out how to exchange cash, cause it was their first time.

tl;dr ATM's in China are fine.
>>
>>1184712

But I already have a kilo of coke up there?
Thread posts: 28
Thread images: 3

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.