[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Hello people! I was unsure if this board is the right place for

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 8
Thread images: 1

File: buisness or pleasure.jpg (157KB, 1300x1115px) Image search: [Google]
buisness or pleasure.jpg
157KB, 1300x1115px
Hello people!
I was unsure if this board is the right place for this kind of topic, I also assume that this is a pretty common question but I couldn't find the right keyword to search the archive since "job" and "work" can be use in any context.
I am currently thinking about finding a job that requires traveling all over the world and preferably stay there to also be able to enjoy the location at least for a bit. I am fluent in three languages, two of which are very common (English, Russian) and am currently learning a fourth one.
Working at a tourism based bar I got to meet enough people that were visiting from work, some of them stayed for weeks, but it all seemed like consulting jobs from tech companies that you don't expect traveling to be part of your job when applying to them.
The easy solution would be going to be a flight attendant, but it seems like a pretty shitty job and I bet they stay only for a couple of hours each time.
Any insight on the topic? Anyone here traveling for a living?

Pic related, I fucking hate stock photos.
>>
>>1179009
>it all seemed like consulting jobs

ding ding ding
>>
>>1179009
If you are a consultant based somewhere with short missions in foreign countries, you won't enjoy your trips, as people who passed through your bar probably have told you.
You will simply work a lot as your boss doesn't want you to waste company monies for you frolicking around. I know because I did it for a while.
The worst deal being the "half time" : 2 weeks in the country, 2 weeks back home. You waste half your weekends in the airport and don't get to set up a routine where you can meet people or anything. You'll get stuck in hotels and won't be able to do the usual social stuff like inviting people for dinner at home and shit like that.
I saw many airports during my time there and the occasional tourist trap, but had very little nice memories and experiences.

What I'd recommend is that you'd find a job as an expat somewhere. Then, from where you live, you can take quick trips/flights to neighbouring countries. It gives you a lot more opportunities for travels to places you previously didn't have easy acess too, as well as giving you a lot of time to go in depth of the culture/people of the country you live in.
It may not be as fast paced as you'd like, since expat contracts lasts 2/3 years and you don't really get to pick your destination but I think it's a pretty fair deal. That's what I do now.
It can any kind of job. The person I met with the sweetest deal was a French girl working as a hair dresser for a large hair dressing chain. Lots of free time and decent money.
You can also apply as an immigrant in the country and start from there, but it's not as easy/convenient as having the expat status.
>>
>>1179014 (cont)
Another option is to find a skill that sells well. I met an Italian pizzaiolo recently. This motherfucker had lived in something like 18 cities in 6 years. What he'd do basically was to pick a city, go there, find an Italian restaurant on trip advisor and apply for a job. Since restaurants always needs good staff and he makes great pizza, he would work there for a few weeks to replenish the wallet and then travel around for a couple of weeks before moving to the next city/region.

BTW, the French girl I mentioned had worked from Cape Town to Shanghai to Miami for the same French company, all as a hair dresser. Some jobs are just surprising like that.
>>
>>1179015
I thought about doing something similar with the bartending gig, I have enough experience to get accepted at most places if they don't care about the language barrier. I can do it for a while but it's a dead end job, one day I will be too old for it and too old to start something "serious". That said this is probably my go to plan, maybe I'll even find a place I like and try to stay there. Another I am considering is really trying the flight attendant thing, even if for a short while.
Many thanks for the input, a lot of food for thought.
>>
>>1179034
Flight attendant is more complicated as you need training and certifications of some sorts. You are also a lot less free. But it can lead to an actual job afterwards.

Bartending sounds good. Irish pubs are the ultimate globalized commodity, you'll find them anywhere and it's not mandatory to speak the local language. You mostly need to be white and obviously native English speaker. Being Irish is a plus, obviously.

As you said, doing it for a while is OK, but beyond 28, it's getting difficult to redirect to an actual carreer indeed.

I wish you luck, enjoy your travels OP.
>>
I'm currently working in IT datacenter work.
only 23 and my company has send me for two months to SEA. If you become experienced with building up infrastructure/network equipment. International companies will send you around the world to set up their spots.

You could even start working as a contractor.
>>
>>1179263
>What I'd recommend is that you'd find a job as an expat somewhere.

Also this, met alot of expats working all over the world. My suggestion would be to pick a job that is international everywhere the same.
Thread posts: 8
Thread images: 1

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.