[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Is there any way to safely carry large sums of cash while traveling?

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 12
Thread images: 1

File: intlcurrency.jpg (264KB, 620x387px) Image search: [Google]
intlcurrency.jpg
264KB, 620x387px
Is there any way to safely carry large sums of cash while traveling? It's no news that theft is more common in third-world countries, and tourists are often the most common victims.

I'll be traveling to an unspecified southeast Asian country for two weeks, and I will need to bring enough money for that duration. I will also need to try and not lose most/all of it.

What can I do to travel safe while carrying all this cash?

>room safe
Many people don't trust the hotel staff enough to rely on room safes, and even if the staff aren't questionable, sometimes the build of the safe can be.

>dummy wallets
I've heard of people carrying two wallets; their main wallet, and a "dummy" wallet that contains mostly nothing. The idea is to hand over the dummy wallet if you're being mugged. I can't imagine thieves falling for this kind of thing, and I can also imagine them delivering an ass-kicking for trying something so stupid.

>no cash, just credit card
Credit cards are usually only accepted in big cities, and not so much in marketplaces. And even when you do use your credit card, there are often service charges and wonky exchange rates. Sure, you're safer this way, but it really limits your spending. Also, you could be one of those poor bastards with the misfortune of having a really stupid bank; I've heard countless stories of people telling their banks to NOT block any spending in foreign countries, only for them to be blocked anyway because those dumbasses didn't listen to their clients.

So what else can be done?

I was thinking of hiding the majority of my money in my shoe (forgoing comfort), and have just enough in my wallet for the day. But even I think this is stupid, and I'm pretty sure someone has thought of this before.

I'm contemplating sewing internal pockets in my pants (and I'll bet even THIS has already been thought of, and the dick-ass thieves have already thought of a counter to that).

What the fuck did you guys do?
>>
>>1178723
>What the fuck did you guys do?

The only really safe option is to roll the bills up tight, wrap them in saran wrap, and then shove them up your ass. That's what all of us do, although most will deny it as it's a bit embarrassing.
>>
I feel like you may be a bit too paranoid, OP. Unless going into obviously shady areas there is likely no need for drastic measures.
Leave most your cash in your travel bag(s), assuming it's in a hostel and safe. Otherwise carry it all in a little bum bag or something of the sort, though your secret pocket idea sounds cool also.
>>
>>1178723
Stop being a dumbass and jump into the 21st century, use ATM. Thailand, Cambodia, Laos, Vietnam, Malaysia, Indonesia (which I assume is the "unspecified" country you're going to) all have ATMs in major et medium cities, it's not the stone age anymore. Even Burma now has a large range of ATMs.

I usually withdraw around 200 USD (roughly what I need for the week bar some extras) and I'm set to go. It's enough for every day life, and not too much distress either if I'm stolen. Yes, you'll pay a fee but if you do it well, it won't be more than 2-3%, which is an acceptable cost not to carry huge wads of cash.

I do have two credit cards from different accounts though, in case one of them is blocked/stolen. But it has never happened in many travels in countries way more fucked up and prone to cyber thieves than where you go. I keep one of them at the hostel buried in my bags, and the other one in the bottom of my day bag, not with my wallet.

In places where ATMs are scarce, I'd just withdraw a lot and then dispatch the money in 3-4 places in the traveling bag, 2 places in my day bag and my wallet. All of them wrapped in some freezer plastic pouches after a past incident (pouring tropical rain soaked me wet and fucked the equivalent of 100USD in local bills)
> mfw my money smells like toothpaste at the end of the trip

All the money in shoes or extra sewn pockets is just stupid, incomfortable, obvious and generally autistic all around.
>>
>>1178723
>dummy wallets
that could work, given you leave in it ~25 euro/usd/whatever along with something like a library card with your picture on it, maybe some coupons, coins, a picture, just to make it seem more believable
You'd still lose a bit of money but don't put your eggs in one basket
>>
>>1178723
>I'll be traveling to an unspecified southeast Asian country for two weeks
You should instead stop being vague like advance is the same no matter where you are in the world, and instead discuss exactly the location, including the airport, so that someone who has been here can answer you properly from actual on the ground experience.

People who travel with large amounts of cash are usually handing it over upon arrival, like to prepay a rental property, such German tourists do when coming to Miami, or to powershop like Brazilians that come up here and buy electronics off the record, clothing etc, and pack it home in their luggage like they actually already had it to skip on duties and tariffs at home. There are few places left in the world where you won't find an ATM within 3 days. For 14 days, you should use a combination of credit card and cash, and use a service to prepay your hotel in advance, such as a travel agency website. I certainly wouldn't travel slumming it and hostel style. If you worry about hiding it but know you will be making large purchases, you can travel with a thin stack of larger bills, knowing you can break them every so often.

I would not travel with all of my travel money for 14 days, ever, not even to Burma, unless I was willing to risk the loss without worry (your backup plan can be your credit card in that case). Don't let that be all the money in the world you can get access to, and if it is? Consider a different vacation idea because you seem lacking intelligence to the point where you can get yourself robbed or worse. It takes some street smarts that you obviously don't have yet. For the sketchy bank worries, go open a Schwab account or go open an account at an asian bank you know will work, in whatever anonymous country you think you will have difficulties in, and then while you're in the city, withdraw some cash in person, in a bank if you think your ATM might not work. WTF newb.
>>
>>1178723
>Is there any way to safely carry large sums of cash while traveling?
yeah, it's called avoiding poor countries until you're rich enough to travel in such a way that you can avoid those situations
>>
Advice varies wildly by SE Asian destination. Since it's clearly your first time in SE Asia I'm guessing you're going to Thailand.

I use a PacSafe 5L portable safe and lock it up to either 1) the biggest piece of furniture that would make noise when broken, or 2) inside the room safe/locker. In Thailand there's always a locker in hostels/hotels so that's the best option there.

Hotel staff can access the room safe, but they wouldn't take a large item like that PacSafe. So just leave it locked up in the PacSafe, which in turn you should keep locked up in the room safe, and you'll be fine. This is the scheme I've used for the past year through the worst of the 3rd world and had no issues whatsoever.

Best option for overseas withdrawals is to use Schwab. They reimburse the ATM fees so it's free. Just take the Schwab card and a backup for another account and you're set.
>>
>>1178723
Are you the autistic 28yo virgin who posted in the Thailand generals about losing your virginity with one of the beach bar girls ? He/you mentioned about going there 2 weeks with 4k in cash, I'm assuming you're the same anon.

If yes, your autism is going through the roof, m8, jesus fuck.
>>
i have this problem too.

i was thinking of buying a house in bulgaria and they want 3500 UK pounds in cash!

so what should i do?
>>
When I trv with my wife she carries the large sums, and wears a small purse crossbodynso it can be snatched. I reckon we could be robbed. But big a couple and black I think we intimidatenot third world erstwhile because of USA propaganda. I literally saw someone eye my Michael Kors watch while walking in a shady part of Bangkok last night, with my Galaxy S7 Edge in my hand (playing Pokémon Go), staring so hard he didn't notice me looking at him, and saw his face the moment where he felt it wasn't worth it.
>>
>>1179315
Huh? Bulgarian here. What exactly is the arrangement? How big and where is the house, how did you come about it? People seem sketchy? Its not unusual to pay in cash here, but this amount of money wont get you a good one.

Anyway, I saw an app/card combo called Revolut. Seems good enough. Gonna use it next time and post reviews, one anon said it was good.
Thread posts: 12
Thread images: 1

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.