[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

What the hell is with White people and trying to "find

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 18
Thread images: 2

File: Screenshot_8.png (491KB, 519x902px) Image search: [Google]
Screenshot_8.png
491KB, 519x902px
What the hell is with White people and trying to "find yourself"?
>>
We need to be confronted with the real world, outside of our Western Comfort Zone.

Go to Asia and be treated like a nigger. That'll put perspective on your life.
>>
>>1178486
Ultimately, it's because despite how much better the 21st Century is in every conceivable way to any time before it, the average person's life path isn't nearly so clear. As a hunter-gatherer (what we were for most of our history) or even a medieval peasant, life is pretty clear, you bust your balls to put enough food on the table so that you can have as many children as possible be as strong as possible.

Now nobody really knows what they're doing or what their purpose is because they're blinded by the thousands of options we have today. There's also no real challenge in life or close contact with the things the human condition was designed to cope with. Travelling is a good way of getting in touch with some of those things, taking away all the noise and properly understanding yourself.

Don't get me wrong, as I said at the beginning anyone who says they wish they lived at any other time in human history is a moron and long term travelling can be pretty destructive too but there's no doubting the positive influence travel has had on my personality and outlook.
>>
>"rescued"
actually found in a camp

>told reporters he resorted to eating fern from jungle floor to survive
"better eat fern than buy overpriced shit from this touts"
>>
>>1178486
Your average white person does not have any real conflict in their lives, hence"first world problems" meme. Confkicts/challenges are character defining, so they go out and try to find this
>>
>>1178486
The mirror broke so now I have to go out and find a mirror that could reflect muh image
>>
File: ScooterGuyKorea.jpg (86KB, 960x520px) Image search: [Google]
ScooterGuyKorea.jpg
86KB, 960x520px
>>1178486
You sure it's exclusive to white people?
>>
>>1178486
Consuming to much media
>>
>>1178495
>despite how much better the 21st Century is in every conceivable way to any time before it, the average person's life path isn't nearly so clear
This is probably the crux of it - it's an existential thing. If your survival isn't a struggle but your future is totally ambiguous it's easy to feel purposeless and untethered. There isn't anything you really HAVE to do, and you have many options available to you, some of which you may not even be aware of. Before you get going on anything you feel the need to figure out just where the fuck you want to go. Parents often tell their kids they can be anything they want to be. While that isn't true anyone with decent ability, education and social standing in a developed nation has a lot of choices available to them. And those without an overriding passion or sense of purpose can find that paralyzing. Beyond art school and drugs what are these kids going to do? Some of them have no idea, and not much pressure to make that decision. Those with the resources to travel often seek perspective through it.
>>
>>1178535
Look up the "crazy ass white people" meme. Other races deal with enough societal pressures just making it through life. It's almost illegalmfor white people to be exposed of pressure of any kind sp they create artificially through things like traveling and jumping out of planes.

Not to say other races don't have journey's of discovery, but it's goal oriented and baked in to whom they are, not discovering it. It's I have to go to X and try to do Y, so I can make a nettwr life for me and my family, or so I can make my Asian dad/Tiger mom proud.
>>
>>1178604
> Other races deal with enough societal pressures just making it through life
White people deal with the same societal pressures as everyone else. Being white gives you absolutely no advantages whatsoever.
>>
/trv/ in one picture desu
>>
>>1178611
>Being white gives you absolutely no advantages whatsoever.
That really depends on what degree of structural racism there is where you live. That's why I specified ability, education and social standing in my post. In some places that means white, in other places it doesn't.
>>
>>1178621
I'm a white male in a mostly white small town in the Midwest of America. I'm a janitor who can't afford rent. You're an idiot and your beliefs, though popular in all mainstream outlets, get proven wrong all the time.
>>
>>1178736
As I said, it depends on where you live and your social status. I'm the white Ivy League educated son of former corporate executive. I have a successful career in the arts in NYC. I'm very aware that my jumping out of the middle class into the starving artist thing years ago was a privilege, because I was never going to starve to death or end up homeless. I could have always made a few calls and found a straight job if I'd wanted one. I was just hoping to avoid having to get one, as opposed to people who would love to have one. I am very aware of the fact that I could walk around with a bag of weed in my pocket and there will be no consequences, but my less pigmentally challenged friends doing the same stand a chance of getting frisked at random and and going to jail for the same thing. I am pretty much invisible to law enforcement.
>>
>>1178736
>I'm a white male in a mostly white small town in the Midwest of America. I'm a janitor who can't afford rent.

What the other anon us saying is that though the "find myself" does break down on economic lines/socio-economic lines, those lines still largely break down aling color lines.

I will add to that the culture of other races, where family and parents, and society even play a larger role in framing who you are and the expectations for your life, people don't go "finding themselves. White people are basically culturally have the benefit of more self determination, but as another anon said, too many choices
>>
>>1178486
>eats possibly poisonous ferns
>doesn't eat the protein-packed leeches
>>
>>1178746
Well said. I'm >>1178743 and I could have gone to Wall St, become a lawyer, doctor, academic, gone into tech or even owned a bar or restaurant. I have friends who have done all of those things. Fuck, I even have a friend who is a travel writer. You have to be at least a bit privileged to consider that as a career path. Another friend writes for the New Yorker magazine, while still another is a segment producer for WNYC (our main npr affiliate). Before they settled on their now profitable careers they spent time playing in touring rock bands, dabbling on the arts scene, bumming around Europe and even more off the beaten track destinations. So when they went to interviews for jobs where their bosses were of the same social class they not only had a good education behind them, but they could start sentences with lines like, "When I was in France/Italy/Spain/Japan/England/Switzerland/Hong Kong" allowing them to come off more worldly than their years. This shit counts in an upscale crowd. Less so in OP's Australia, but it's still a thing.
Thread posts: 18
Thread images: 2

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.