[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Hi guys. I've noticed a lot of threads about people wanting

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 15
Thread images: 1

File: 20161028_162323.jpg (4MB, 5312x2988px) Image search: [Google]
20161028_162323.jpg
4MB, 5312x2988px
Hi guys. I've noticed a lot of threads about people wanting to start fresh and abandon the stagnant life they're living now. I never thought I'd have the opportunity to do so, but I can literally offer one or two of you a chance to do just that, start somewhat fresh.

I work in a university in China near Taiyuan. It's only my second week here but I think that's been enough for me to deem it a decent, if not attractive position. I was hired directly by the university and the man who got me here has become a friend of mine. He wants one or two other foreign teachers but has no idea about making advertisements online, and the recruiter he's been working with seems to be a poor one. So he asked us of we could help him find a teacher and after giving it some thought, I figured I might be able to extend just the opportunity someone on here has been waiting for.
>>
>>1178126
About the job itself: 18 teaching hours with complete freedom in how to teach, which is among my favorite things about teaching here as opposed to the high school setting I've taught in in the past. The pay comes out to 1000 dollars, but I have no doubt that 60-70% of that can be saved. Meals can be as cheap as a dollar and they provide an apartment, about a seven minute walk from the classes. The foreign teachers are in one building but we don't share anything.

One thing that's important to know is how little there is to do here. You might have a hard time if you have no personal enterprises to pursue. But even if this is a problem initially, I think the free time you have gives you time enough to develop a new hobby or refine some skill you might not have had the time for.

I apologize if this is not appropriate for this board, but I think it has the potential to help someone. I should have mentioned above that a bachelor's degree is required, experienced preferred but I don't think it's necessary. I actually have class in an hour, but I will be done at noon and if I find any questions, I will take the time to answer them.

Thanks for reading and if this has been on your mind for a while, I think you should pull the trigger.

Pic is the building I teach in, sorry that it's upside down.
>>
That's nice of you, I hope this can help someone who'd need this opportunity right now.
I had to google Taiyuan to see where it was and it is effectively in the middle of nowhere, what are the options for the expat who wants to keep a partly western lifestyle?
I've lived in HK and visited some of the biggest cities both for work and leisure (Shenzhen Guangzhou Beijing Shanghai Xi an Xiamen...) and I never saw myself living in Mainland China... but I wonder how's life in this kind of remote province?
>>
>>1178127
So you need a masters? I have a BA but if I did have a masters I would be very interested! I've been interested in China for a long time too. It's nice of you to extend your hand like this anon.
>>
>>1178126
I'm wondering what happens if someone not from English speaking countries but have a 4-year bachelor's degree from English speaking countries and can speak English fluently. Is it possible? I know some places reject them because of visa application. What about China?
>>
>>1178205
Keep in mind I've only been here a little over a week while reading my answer. I've found multiple cafes that are western and I've already bought a membership to a gym that is also similar to what I'm used to. Besides this, I simply don't know because I haven't put the time to explore yet. Taiyuan is about 15 minutes away by bus and I've heard there are more foreigners over there. At this specific university, I am one of four, which is part of the reason I'd love to have someone from here accept the job.

Life here, as anywhere else, is entirely what you make it. I have a lot of personal work that keeps me busy so the isolation and quiet of a remote province attracted me from the start. I assume you would find many more English speakers in bigger cities, but being in a university, the students tend to know enough to help when help is needed. If you're into nightlife and things like that, I am not sure how you'd like it here.

>>1178214
Sorry I wasn't clear. I actually just asked him to find out what the specific requirements are. You need a bachelor's degree and a tesol certificate before coming to China. I assume an online one would suffice, but I can ask if anyone cares to know for sure.

>>1178218
I can't speak for all of China, but here they want native speakers.
>>
>>1178126
This is to teach English I presume? I have a bachelors and no TEFL/TESOL as of yet. Is either fine? I have an interview in an hour for teaching in Hefei, but if that doesn't work out maybe I can try with you guys. When will the prospective hire start? What is the schedule like? Work in the mornings? When is the weekend and how long is the position?

Also any tips on learning Chinese? I've been self studying but Mandarin is a strange beast and I've studied forein languages to an extent.
>>
>>1178429
You need both a bachelor's and a tesol, the latter can be earned quickly enough if you're willing to get one online. I think he wants teachers as soon as possible so it would start once you get all the paperwork done. The schedule varies, but it would only exceed 18 hours if you want it to. I don't teach more than four hours a day. Yesterday it was from 8am to noon, today it's 2pm to 6pm. Weekends are Saturday and Sunday. The contract is until the end of the second semester, mine ends at the end of July.

As for the language, I don't have much advice. People here seem willing to help, but to be honest I'm not too interested in learning it. My plan is to leave the country when I'm done with my contract and it doesn't seem to me worthwhile to spend the time learning it without the desire to spend a few years here. Good luck with your interview!
>>
Somewhat interested, but how long would it take for me to get there? I have no paperwork done or anything. I have a bachelors and an online TEFL.
>>
Hey op, just wanted to say thanks for doing what you're doing. Carry on and best of luck with your new life over there!
>>
>>1178443
It's hard to say. It took me a few weeks but that's just because I needed to schedule a doctor's appointment, wait for the lab results, go to the embassy, and wait for them to prepare the visa. You can always pay more to have these things done faster, but I wasn't willing to so that's probably why it took me a while. If you're not willing to either, you can probably be here by the end of the month, if not sooner.

>>1178444
Thanks, I've been coming to this board for a few months and have received a kit of good advice. It's a pleasure to try and help out. Not to mention that it would be nice having another traveler as a colleague and neighbor.
>>
>>1178440
Is there a website or something where I can apply or get more information? My interview went well but just in case.
>>
>>1178452
No such thing. It all happened through Skype for me. You can add me there, my id is aerochameleon. I can answer specific questions and if you decide you're interested, I will connect you with the guy who got me here.
>>
>>1178462
Okay I'll save that for if this falls through. If I don't contact you it's because I found something else. But we shall see. God bless.
>>
Hey everyone! I just talked to Op, he is having problems posting to 4chan, but you can still reach him on his Skype (aerochameleon). - Dude is really friendly, will answer questions.
Thread posts: 15
Thread images: 1

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.