[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

I want to travel from Portland to Chicago in mid-November without

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 10
Thread images: 1

File: america.jpg (567KB, 900x575px) Image search: [Google]
america.jpg
567KB, 900x575px
I want to travel from Portland to Chicago in mid-November without getting on an airpline. Needless to say, the US isn't easy to get around in without a car or license, so I'll probably be dependent on buses.
The blue and green routes in my image are my two options. I'd be stopping along the way, obviously, but without my own car I'm not sure I'll be able to enjoy the parks and scenery of the American West much. I'd appreciate it if anyone had any advice to spare on getting the most out of these states while transportation is fairly limited.

Also, after Thanksgiving I plan on traveling from Chicago to California. One option (purple) involves basically taking buses through most of the the green route (in case I take the blue route from Portland to Chicago), while my other option is flying from Chicago to San Diego and then traveling up to San Francisco.
Opinions? Thanks
>>
>>1176667
Check out Amtrak trains. The bus is going to suck real bad...
>>
>>1176667
Don't be a square
Just hitchhike
>>
>>1176667
There are usually shuttle buses to the best-known National Parks along your way (Yellowstone, specifically) from the bigger towns along the track. But that's still not an ideal way of seeing them.
>>
>>1176667
If you're just skipping the parks anyways why not take the trains? There's a direct line that goes from Chicago to Portland.
>>
Why the fuck do you want to come to Chicago of all places during November? Seriously, stay the hell away.

t. tense Cubs fan
>>
Buses here are like concentration camps.
I'd go by Amtrak train or hitchhike.
>>
OP here. I'll be going by amtrak through Montana, North dakota, Wisconsin and Minesota. Some of the stations along the way seems interesting to stop at. Does anyone have any experience around here?
>>
>>1178901
Check the time it goes through Glacier NP. Empire Builder (amtrak name for the route) has a bad schedule, and goes through it at night. Not going to be much daylight, especially heading east. Bring something to stay entertained when it's dark out and there's no view.

The Chicago-SF (California Zephyr) train does a better job of going through the mountain passes during the day.

If you're ok flying Chicago-SD, why not fly Portland-Chicago, then ride the Zephyr? Empire Builder is only interesting around the Washington-Idaho-Montana border. Other than that it's just plains and boreal forest. Zephyr goes through plains, Rockies, high desert and Sierra Nevadas.

Thing about the train is you pay more for every stop you take. I went Denver-Sacramento-Seattle last year. I thought about getting off at a few stops, but the added ticket costs and hotels meant my cheap ass just stayed on the train.
>>
OP here. I've been disencouraged to do the train trip. Instead I may spend a week between Seattle and Vancouver.
Any tips on visiting these cities?
Thread posts: 10
Thread images: 1

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoin at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Posts and uploaded images are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that website. If you need information about a Poster - contact 4chan. This project is not affiliated in any way with 4chan.