[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

I've been told numerous times to move out of Switzerland

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 18
Thread images: 1

File: 1477591796132.gif (2MB, 500x375px) Image search: [Google]
1477591796132.gif
2MB, 500x375px
I've been told numerous times to move out of Switzerland and not in a rude way like 'gtfo and never come back' and more in a sense that I could do much more with my life elsewhere. Anybody got experience with prolonged time spans not home or leaving your home country in general. I'm thinking about saving more money and moving abroad for a year or two and seeing how that plays out.
Do you guys have experience with such things? Anything to read up on, besides visas etc.?
>>
>>1176517
tell me my friend do you have experience in any particular field
>>
>>1176522
Run of the mill clerk shit, bookkeeping, accounting. Not a stellar cv, there's that
>>
>>1176517
Do it, op. I promise it'll work out somehow. I felt the same way and left Canada for 4 years. Lived in a different country every year and traveled in between. The Swiss passport is good and you're in a fortunate situation because the worst case scenario is that it doesn't not work - then you move back home to your extremely first world country and make some money to either stay or leave again.

If you're under 35 a good place to start is by looking at working holiday visas available for your country. You can work anywhere in the world, but if you do t have much experience you're probably stuck in hospitality in other first world countries (it's not such a bad life... You just might not what to do it forever).

Good luck.
>>
>>1176537
Thanks for your reply
>>
>>1176547
No problem. I hope you end up doing it! What you're feeling is complacency and that kills your soul (as hippie as it sounds). If you're not happy where you are, you might as well change what you've been doing until that point.
>>
Im in the same situation as OP
But im a third worlder so its only a natural desire

Im gonna graduate and keep working one year or more in my analyst position on an investment bank then I will just quit and move around
>>
>leaving USA
>going to Mexico
Yea it wasnt my first option but it happening
>promises of more mental stability
>>
>>1177647
Depends where my dude. Mexico has some pretty places but the lifestyle can be pretty fucking terrible. And I'm from one of the nicest places there.
But if you've got some nice savings in USD you can afford a pretty good life.
>>
>>1177660
>Mexico City, Tepito
>Dollar to Peso is about 1 to 19.0
Yea its gonna be great bro.
>>
Do it! The Swiss have among the highest salaries in the world so, no matter how much you saved, you can find a good country where to live in.

A working holiday can be ideal for you
>>
>>1176517
I've been to Switzerland a bunch of times and have a few Swiss friends. Here's my understanding of life in Switzerland versus where I live (NYC).

Unless you're a banker Switzerland is not a place for an ambitious person. Jobs are pretty secure, there's not really much room for career advancement and you're pretty much stuck with whatever career you start out with as a young person. On the plus side the quality of life is very high compared to other places. Imported goods may be crazy expensive, but your salary is really high compared to the rest of the world, and this allows you opportunities few others have in terms of travel possibilities, the quality of the food you eat and the culture you have access to. You have a quality of life many would be covetous of. The downside is your place in society is pretty fixed by the time you're in your early 20's.

A massive advantage of where I live is that you can reinvent yourself as often as you're driven and clever enough to do so. The downside is that there is no safety net. A combination of bad luck and bad decisions can leave you bankrupt. It's sink or swim in a way Switzerland is not. The price of the greater social mobility is that failure can leave you wretched, or at least living less comfortably than you would in Switzerland.

But you have the advantage of being able to return home if you fail abroad. If I had that option I'd take advantage of it.
>>
>>1176517
I assume that people recommend you to go abroad to live a life filled with more challenges, professionnaly specifically ?

Be very aware that you will very likely earn peanuts abroad compared to what you earn in Switzerland, even in a shit job.

Jesus, I have a friend there who's an immigrant in CH, she makes more money by the hour house cleaning (off the book job) than me as a strategy consultant in fucking Western Europe.

It might make you feel as you lose your time when you see your friends back home cashing in what will appear to you a dazzling amount of money (it was the impression of some Swiss friends of mine, they came to terms with it after a fairly difficult time tho).

If you don't have a stellar CV, it's going to be more difficult to compete in rich countries (Singapore, US, Germany, UK, etc...).
I'd say, if you want to make it big, try to go to some developing countries (Thailand, Brazil, China, India, you name it) and cash in on your western education and white face to get responsibilities fairly fast.

Expect very different work culture though, obviously. It will also teach you a thing or two in terms of values and world view to be confronted to a less polished environment. All in all, it's never lost time to live abroad and be faced to very different cultural mindsets.
>>
Thank you for the in depth replies, my CV is as all of you rightfully assumed not great and I have not saved up a lot of money(not enough to start a business) it's just that I was born in a former USSR country and grew up in Switzerland and want to see the world. Wanderlust is big and I wanna see where it takes me and being able to bounce back into the comfy safety net of Swiss social security is a big plus (worst case scenario too)
>>
>>1178069
Not op but thanks for this. I come from a city with a very similar mentality to new York and it was good to hear about life in Switzerland as it (and Norway) has the quality of life that I want. Where I could love minimalistically working 3-4 days a week in a place with good nature and still somehow have money to take trips every now and then.

I've found that north Americans generally have advantages in many places of the world because our work culture breeds the sink or swim mentality. Do you think that drive helps much in terms of not getting stuck in Switzerland?
>>
>>1178511
>I've found that north Americans generally have advantages in many places of the world because our work culture breeds the sink or swim mentality. Do you think that drive helps much in terms of not getting stuck in Switzerland?

Probably, but you might be quickly fed up at how slow and bureaucratic things can get. There are other challenges you'll face, such as xenophobia, being and an outcast and obviously, the language barrier.

Being safe is nice, but it breeds complacency and boredom. There is a reason young Europeans leave the continent in droves.

Give it a try, don't expect things to be perfect. You only realize that you miss things once they're not there.
>>
>>1178511
>getting stuck in Switzerland?
I have an American friend who married a Swiss woman and is living there raising his daughter. Dude has become pretty center left in his politics, and in total disbelief over the state of American politics and foreign policy. Living there has made him expect everything to be civilized and somewhat staid. His apartment may be a little small, but he has nice things and little anxiety. But it seems like the most exciting shit he has in his life are hanging around the local radio station and entertaining folk musician friends from America when they pass through his town on tour. My take on it is that Switzerland is so staid they have to import pop culture. Hence Claude's success with the Montreux Festival. There isn't a big DIY spirit there. You're not going to write your own songs, form your own band or make your own beats. If you're serious about music you try to get into a conservatory. And that go-getter spirit that seems to be lacking is where an American might have an advantage over a Swiss person. But the average Swiss person probably has a higher quality of life than the average American, even if his life is more dull.

If there were a magical land that had the advantages of the US and Switzerland I'd consider moving there. Holland, Germany and Scandinavia sort of come close, but not quite. For the time being I'll stay in NYC.
>>
>>1178526
Thanks. I'm a bit of a special case cause I look third world but I'm culturally born and raised in Canada. Its funny how people in Scandinavia treated me differently until they found out I was Canadian/wasn't sponging off their welfare system.

>>1178577
You know, I don't see that as much different from any other first world country. Scandinavia is like that. So is Finland and a good portion of western Europe.

It sounds like we want the same things and I've narrowed it down to Norway, Germany, Switzerland, and Australia. I've been/lived in all except Switzerland but I can tell you that you should include Australia into your list. It's capitalistic but the people are chill so north Americans stand out when they always want to work (hard). I moved up so quickly living over there and the fact that English is our first language did wonders for being likable. It's also the only warm first world country
Thread posts: 18
Thread images: 1

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.