[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Hi, /trv/, I'm going to NYC for a week next Month and I

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 41
Thread images: 3

File: nyc.png (538KB, 2000x1978px) Image search: [Google]
nyc.png
538KB, 2000x1978px
Hi, /trv/, I'm going to NYC for a week next Month and I was wondering some things.

I'm a 24 year old single male and booked an air bnb on Davidson Ave between West 184th st and West Fordam Road, is this a good neighborhood?

I would like to try different foods, any recommendations? I'd rather not go to any tourist trap places.

I want to experience the night life, where should I go for that? Preferable a happy medium between old man bars and super trendy places with long lines.

Any advice, and anything in particular you think I should check out? I have a good amount of spending money, but I don't want to blow money on overly expensive stuff.
>>
>>1176045
Quiet you ignorant asshole.
>>
>>1175982
From what I see in Google it's near a main shopping district that has mostly Africans and Hispanics living there. Be cautious but not paranoid,it's not Brownville. 4 train on the Jerome Ave el and D train on Grand Concourse.
>>
>>1175982
>184th st
a little dominican but not dangerous in anyway
>West FordhamRoad
south bronx... yikes

nothing's gonna happen, you'll just feel a little tense.

next time just stay in west chester, long island, or jersey with walking distance to the metronorth, nj transit, LIRR etc. you'll know to get on the last train at 1:30am, or stay out until the first one at 5:30am.
>>
>>1175982
why would you stay an hour from the action?
>>
>>1176045
Aside from the fact you're a racist idiot, you obviously don't know shit about the city.
>>
>>1176081
That's not the South Bronx. It's a neigbborhood called University Heights which is in the West Bronx.
>>
>>1176071
South Bronx is kinda scary man, just be careful
>>
>>1176116
That's not even the South Bronx, and I don't personally find the Bronx in general to be scary
>>
>>1176083
it doesn't seem that far, wouldn't that be like a half hour train ride from midtown Manhattan?

>>1176081
why stay in the suburbs? that's even less convenient
>>
>>1175982
>West Fordam Road, is this a good neighborhood?
No but you won't get shot. New York is rather safe. However, fuck the Bronx - it's as bad as Staten Island but the train (eventually) goes somewhere. I lived in NYC 5 years and girlfriend there now. I've been to the Bronx less than 10 times...and feel comfortable saying so.

The garden is good. The zoo is good. The Yankees are good. The Little Italy isn't a total joke like the one in Manhattan. Go downtown as fast as possible.

>different foods
Lazy Chinese: Chinatown place with high Yelp scores and few white customers
Lazy Indian: Curry Hill on Lexington Ave
Lazy Korean: 32nd street on avenues near Herald Square...my geometry fuzzy at the moment

More authentic of the above: Take the 7 train to Queens, wear stretchy pants, and pay $60 for the cab ride back home. The distance if pretty far so it's a one shot deal and you better binge.

The Bronx location is pretty bad. It's going to be mofungo, pizza, noxious fake Chinese and Crown/Kennedy/Ghetto fried chicken.

I could offer insight into delicious Caribbean, Arab and Russian food options but the train ride would be 45-90 minutes south into Queens or Brooklyn.

This shit happens. When I was in Lisbon I ended up with a hotel in on the wrong side of an Angolan neighborhood. The visual cues on Google maps can make for interesting travel stories.
>>
>>1176289
There are some critically claimed Mexican restaurants in The Bronx now, and seafood on City Island but that's far away.

I don't think The Bronx is as bad as you're making it seem. It's an easy commute to Lower Manhattan depending on where you are, it has a lot of cool parks, and maybe not everyone needs to pay a million dollars a month in rent to live in yuppyville.
>>
>>1176289
Also there are West Indian spots in every black neighborhood
>>
>>1176290
...but then you'd live in Brooklyn since only the 4/5 goes south-bound to Lower Manhattan
...where you'd have Sunset Heights
...and Coney Island for fish and Russian
...and the Rockaways for fish and quiet
...and I literally had to Wikipedia this "City Island" thing

Not shitting an undue amount. Brooklyn used to (and still would) be one of the largest cities in the country. The Bronx used to be some rich guy's farm (Mr. Bronck) and ended up being working/middle class housing during the first half of the 20th Century. It's still the poor borough where get access to the train at the expense of living space.
>>
>>1176292

Every train line in The Bronx goes to Lower Manhattan..

Sunset Park is cool, I'll give you that

Coney Island is farther from Manhattan than the South Bronx

The Rockaways are far as fuck by train

What is that supposed to mean?

And apartments in The Bronx are big for NYC standards if I'm not mistaken. Rents are high everywhere in NYC, but at least in The Bronx you're not getting completely raped by your landlord like you would in much of Brooklyn.
>>
>>1176292
>heights from crown and/or prospect
sunset park
>>
>>1176294
there's also Brooklyn Heights
>>
So upon further research I find this is a heavily Dominican neighborhood. I've never met any Dominicans but my friend told me Dominican girls are really hot and the internet seems to back that up.

What are Dominican girls like? Can I get with one?
>>
>>1176292
The Bronx would also be on of the largest cities in the country if it were a city.
>>
>>1176293
>>1176293
B/D doesn't
1 doesn't count

+1

The South Bronx is a Target, self storage and a History Channel sign. The museum can be done in less than 2 hours.

Yes. They are. The mansions are shockingly large and, above all, QUIET.

City Island is about as interesting as Rat Island; which makes it less interesting than Roosevelt Island (magic sky machine!)

Getting "raped" is paying market if you want a neighborhood stable enough to order delivery past 10pm. If you want 24hr access to a hot pastrami hero I know some Hasidim that can place you conveniently. Fridays are bad though.

>>1176298
The Bronx is ghetto. Brooklyn has a ghetto. The distinction will be lost on most tourists. God forbid anyone goes to New York and thinks it's the Bronx.
>>
>>1176299
Yes, B/D goes to Lower Manhattan for sure, just look at a map.

Why doesn't the 1 count? Every single subway line in The Bronx goes to Lower Manhattan.

The South Bronx itself isn't much of a tourist attraction, but that's not the point, it's close enough to Manhattan for an easy subway ride. . And OP's place isn't the South Bronx anyway.

You think only yuppy neighborhoods are safe to walk around at night?

Not all of The Bronx is ghetto, and the ghetto parts (for the most part) really aren't that bad anymore. But keep in mind, some Brooklyn neighborhoods that are now either fully gentrified or are gentrifying were once considered ghetto.

No tourist would think that The Bronx is all of New York, that would be like thinking all of New York is the area by JFK airport. What's more likely is that some tourists never venture beyond the tourist areas of Midtown Manhattan which is sad.

FWIW, I knew a French tourist who stayed in Midwood (or maybe it was the Southern part of Flatbush) and had a very full NYC experience, and seemed to like the location.

You don't have to stay in Midtown Manhattan or Yuppy Brooklyn to have a good time.
>>
>>1176299
For the B/D, I suppose it is a matter of what you count as Lower Manhattan. Grand Street _is_ south of Houston Street.
>>
>>1176298
That would be either Brooklyn or Queens. Both have populations about two million.
>>
File: bronxdominican10-600.jpg (110KB, 800x596px) Image search: [Google]
bronxdominican10-600.jpg
110KB, 800x596px
>>1176297
For a broader sense, look up for dominican day parade pics.

>Can I get with one?
If you are at least whiteish and aren't socially awkward you have great chances.
>>
>>1176330
Grand Street is definitely Lower Manhattan, everything South of 14th St is usually considered Lower Manhattan.
>>
>>1176344
Every borough except Staten Island would be a major city and among the most populous in the country.
>>
File: IMG_20161018_201517.jpg (4MB, 4000x2992px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_20161018_201517.jpg
4MB, 4000x2992px
I'm a single 24 m like OP, on my last night of the trip with nothing to do lined up. Pls suggest anything worth doing at night. Music/art/museums all good, but I need something open till 12ish.

Also, It's raining, so indoors pls.

PS. Is it offensive or awesome that americans built a fucking luxury mall at the site of one of the nations biggest scars? I can't decide.
>>
>>1176444
Go to some bars (you still have plenty of time if you read this right now)
>>
>>1176071
>Brownville
there is literally a place in brooklynn called this
>>
>>1176302
If you are interested in the Bronx a book just came out called "Before The Fires" by Mark Naison and Bob Gumbs. It's about the South Bronx neighborhood of Morrisania,it's heyday and decline. There are interviews of people who lived there. Quite a few were musicans,jazz and doowop.
>>
>>1176289
you know how i know you're a peice of shit transport fag ?

>'ve been to the Bronx less than 10 times.
> pay $60 for the cab ride back home
>The Bronx location is pretty bad. It's going to be mofungo, pizza, noxious fake Chinese and Crown/Kennedy/Ghetto fried chicken.

>>1176297
give a shot, im a lil chink and i've been with plenty of latinos but i also had to luxury of growing up here and being born in panama so perfect spanish there are latino girls that span all spectrum of interests they're arent 100% secular
>>
>>1176541
He was actually referring to that place, but it's called "Brownsville"
>>
>>1176625
Citywide, there is a very wide span of Latinas
>>
whats spuyten duyvil like? The name is kinda weird
>>
>>1176809
jewish
>>
>>1176817
is it like an extension of Riverdale?
>>
>>1177001
Its where the devil himself lives
>>
No, it's not a good neighborhood. Stay in Riverdale, which is the northwest Bronx and is a very nice, safe neighborhood. Take the metro north and you'll be in NYC in 20 min.
>>
>>1177435
Riverdale is boring
>>
>>1177435
>>1177499
Don't stay there, but check out Lloyd's carrot cake if you're there. Without a doubt the best I've had in my life.
>>
The Bronx doesn't really seem that bad anymore. A little rough around the edges, but I would move there in a heartbeat if it were convenient to my job.
Thread posts: 41
Thread images: 3

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.