[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Has anyone here ever studied in another country? For some reason

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 23
Thread images: 2

File: 1475643790187.png (406KB, 506x380px) Image search: [Google]
1475643790187.png
406KB, 506x380px
Has anyone here ever studied in another country? For some reason I'm so bored here in America and I just want to go somewhere far away, like central Asia or something.
>>
>>1175863
Go do it.
>>
Yes. Totally worth it. After about 2 years abroad though being here is just like everyday-life, nothing is really new and exciting if you've seen everything there is to see. I'd suggest living in a place for a year or so and then move on to a another country. You can still get your degree if you send the new school your transcripts!
>>
>>1175892
>>1175879
I feel like for such a big decision there it can't be that simple; is there some sort of catch?
>>
>>1175863
What country were you thinking about?
>>
>>1176121
I'm really undecided but maybe Khazakistan? Ideally some place really different from home. I was also considering Estonia and Armenia.
>>
>>1176125
I thought Almaty was pretty cool. If you finish your degree, you could do a month teaching cert and get an esl job out there. Might be a bit more realistic desu, and with those skills you acquire you would never have to go back to America :-)
>>
File: laura_lepisto.jpg (126KB, 552x600px) Image search: [Google]
laura_lepisto.jpg
126KB, 552x600px
I'm Finnish and FUCK YOU for posting that picture OP!

Pic related, actual Finn.
>>
>>1176163
it was just a prank bro
>>
>>1176125
As someone who has been to all countries, if you want somewhere really different from home Armenia might be the place.

Estonia is basically like Scandinavia, but poorer. That might be different enough, I don't know.

Big-city Kazakhstan is basically Russia with more Asian looking people, and not as crazy as you might imagine. It's not like bumfuck Sibiria either, because of the country's oil wealth. Honestly, you will probably see every country in Kazakhstan's vicinity (except for Russia) as crazier than Kazakhstan. Small-town Kazakhstan is just depressing, and you're not gonna be studying in the rural parts.

Armenia will probably feel the most different, with its crazy culture, the odd mix of Middle Eastern, Christian and Soviet cultural influences, the macho culture, the stark difference between Yerevan and everywhere else, the history, the bizarre and unfortunate politics... Also, the nature in Armenia is far more interesting than that of Kazakhstan and (especially) Estonia.
>>
>>1176182
Personally, central Asia seemed just interesting because I know almost nothing about it. Though Uzbekistan also caught my eye just as much as Kazakhstan (forgot to add that).

Do you have any personal suggestions? Also thanks for taking the time to write this out I really appreciate it.
>>
>>1176185
I haven't been to Uzbekistan, but I know that it's poorer and less modern than Kazakhstan. Most of the guys I met in Kazakhstan who had been to Uzbekistan recommended it as having the best sights in the region. Not sure if it has any universities worth studying at, though, and I think the capital is a pretty crappy city.
>>
>>1176185
As for personal suggestions, you may want to consider Georgia and Azerbaijan as well as Armenia. Georgia is more Western and "comfortable", while Azerbaijan is a bit like Kazakhstan in that it has a lot of oil money. Armenia feels very traditional in comparison to either.
>>
>>1175863
bumping for interst
>>
Do you want to go on exchange or what? I mean if it's regularly then I honestly don't see the point of getting an armenian degree because it probably won't be recognized.
>>
>>1175907
Higher tuition than locals, depending on the country. You also still have to get accepted, and also look at how a degree from that university would be viewed in your home country
>>
>>1176163
Looks like his sister
>>
>>1176182
>>1175863
Can anyone tell me about Kyrgyzstan? It looks beautiful but it's hard to find what the specific downsides are, besides the obvious middle of nowhere.
>>
>>1176588

lots of drug violence and crime
>>
>>1176619
this
>>
>>1175863
This is something I should ask about too. My uni is offering a "full ride" scholarship to China. I am a senior EE. Next semester is going to be very hard, I think living in China would be a huge adjustment and I'd be away from my friends that I've studied and taken every course with for years. Will the prof even speak English? Be able to help with complex questions? I've visited over 20 countries but never more than a week. Months away from home seems insane, but I'm tempted because I do want to travel more, I do want to see China, and I'm broke.
>>
>>1175863
>>1176913
I've studied in Guangzhou, China for 6 months. I enjoyed it a lot, but it might not be for everyone.
>Will the prof even speak English?
They will, but it might be shitty. I remember being the only foreigner in a class full of Chinese and the class was supposed to be in English, but the professor just switched to Chinese half way in. Not that it really matters, because there is literally no way that you can fail an exam in China. The last class before the exam, the professor will basically just tell you the answers for the exam or the exam will be so piss easy that you'll pass by just writing your name on the paper. Needless to say, you don't learn all that much.
Mind you that this was at one of the top universities in China.
>>
I studied in France and it was a great decision. My field of study (politics) is badly considered in Italy whereas in France it's a lot more elite and cared for. Students are forced to do one year abroad, and this just opens up their minds. The French I met there now are in Brazil, Mozambique, Japan...

Do it. Out of the countries you've mentioned I've only been to Armenia. You will surely be a novelty as 99% of the population is ethnic Armenian. People there are friendly and the women are the prettiest in the region (also according to the Georgians). even though they have a very macho.traditional mentality.

As another anon mentioned, I would recommend Georgia.
Thread posts: 23
Thread images: 2

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.