[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Why don't more /trv/lrs get into consulting/high % traveling

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 30
Thread images: 1

File: business_travel.jpg (50KB, 500x350px) Image search: [Google]
business_travel.jpg
50KB, 500x350px
Why don't more /trv/lrs get into consulting/high % traveling for work?

You get your airfare, housing, transportation, and food paid for; you get to hang out with your overseas colleagues (who will always take you out to the best dinners and bars); and you get the most "authentic" local experience possible since you're working during the day and drinking/partying/relaxing at night just like every other person in the country who isn't a hobo, unemployable, or a shitty trust fund kid.

And it's not even competitive. Most people have families/local obligations that prevent them from spending too much time far away, so organizations are stoked when someone expresses a desire to be on the move. Why bother with gap years/backpacking/hostel slumming when you can get paid a good salary + full expenses covered for a far better travel experience?
>>
There really aren't many jobs like you are describing, and you have to be highly qualified with a lot of experience to land them.

Sure companies are happy to find a guy that will want to travel like this, but only because he is qualified enough to land a job without dealing with the bullshit of traveling.

Even then, expect to work 14 hour days and sleep the other ten, and only see the inside of the airport. They aren't sending you out for charity, traveling for work sucks. Anyone who's actually done it would agree.
>>
>>1175442
>>1175466
Some yes and some no from both points...

Working for a company and you're not a top executive? Yeah that's going to be a lot less like OP described and more like 2nd post.

If you really want to travel world, spend all your time and energy learning another language and join your home countries equivalent of the 'Department of Trade'.

These have to be some of the best jobs for travelling in the world. All you do is travel (or work overseas on a post) helping businesses sell stuff to each other, and it's all over fancy dinners and events paid for by the Government.

Did this for a few years before starting a business of my own. Was a very rewarding experience.
>>
>why don't you just find an awesome job with tons of travel and no downsides?

Gee i dunno op.
>>
>>1175466
That's not true. I landed a job where I travel over half the time after only working one year in my domain (which is admittedly super niche). The consulting firm was just happy they found someone with ANY experience with the particular technology and who was willing to fly around to their global offices, install software, lead training sessions, and (now that I've been doing it for a bit) occasionally give speeches at conferences. I work much shorter days outta town than I do at home.

I could see the lifestyle being a pain in the ass if you have kids or are super dedicated to some club or organization in your community - you really do need to be ready to be out for a week on short notice. But considering how obsessed this board is with "authentic" travel experiences, shunning anything popular with tourists, and having "real" experiences with locals, I'm surprised more don't seem to travel for work or aspire to do so. It not close to the same as getting to vacation for a living, but for a career at this point in my life (late 20s, long term SO who works long hours, no kids) it's a pretty great deal.
>>
>>1175442
Because you will work for 14-18 hours per day with shitload of stress, insane work tasks and travelling to places far from picturesque.
Yes, everything is paid for but you don't have time to enjoy anything.
Oh yeah, and do you think the infrastructure is good everywhere? What about a client who runs a production plant in the middle of nowhere?
Dude, it's a fucking hell where people dream about the time they leave. You don't join for fun and travelling, you join for guaranteed level of salary and recognition later on, despite your initial social status.
t. 3 years at big 3
>>
>>1175495
It's not consulting in its original sense, do not bs op with your software installation
>>
>>1175498
You've obviously never worked at a place that had the government or law firms as clients. Least technologically advanced organizations in existence. You do the easiest, most obvious things and they think it's magic.
>>
>>1175502
+1
>>
I would love such a job, as I have no family at all, and no relationship. Neither am I attached to any place.

How do I get one?

I have 5 years of property administration in London and speak Polish, English and German.

Any advice appreciated.
>>
>>1175515
Looks for jobs working for a superfund/hedge fund. They have lots of properties they own around the world and I am sure there would be some element of property management role / assets manager position that would involve a large degree of travel.
>>
>>1175533
Thank you for the tip.
>>
>>1175502
>>1175510
Typical difference between shit tier consulting and big3 is that the latter actually implement stuff and therefore they are aware how grueling it is when you work for the govt. man, the amount of paperwork and meetings.
>>
>>1175540
Fair enough. I was defining "consulting" as any position where you do short-term work for a variety of clients, not necessarily management consulting, which does indeed consist of getting shipped off to Indianapolis for 4 weeks at a time to work 16 hour days in the blandest office imaginable.

>>1175515
This >>1175533 certainly isn't a bad suggestion, but I did it by being one of the few people who knows the ins-and-outs of a popular software package in a very non-tech savvy industry. Part of it was luck that such a position was open when I was looking for a new job, but don't underestimate the opportunities that can come by excelling in something super niche.
>>
>>1175553
I see your point then. Truth is, I'd gladly switch my current position with something like that, granted 6 fig pay. Tough luck so far.
And Indianapolis is ok, think northern Canada, think oil and gas projects
>>
How does man on left get up to shit.
>>
I traveled several times on a monthly basis in the military. We all packed into a c17 and slept on the floor or in shitty chairs bolted to the side walls. It would be freezing half the time and the amount of noise from the plane engines was deafening.

Still better than any civilian flight I ever had in a "real" plain.
>>
>>1175565
He is on the aisle –so I assume he pushes the little button that opens the doors, and then goes over the bathroom and takes a shit.
>>
>>1175566
>plain

baka
>>
>>1175578
I was an enlisted mook not a doctor
>>
>>1175565
>>1175577
>Get up
Confirmed for never been in first class.
>>
>>1175582
I've flied hundreds of times and it's always been military flights. I've had maybe 3 non military civilian flights so no, I didn't get first class.

What's great about mine were you got to bring anything you wanted to eat, no one checked your bag, and you could sleep on the floor in a sleeping bag.

First class ain't got shit on that.
>>
>>1175582
Can assure you I only fly first class and - to my disappointment - every airline you have to get up to take a shit. Unless you really want to piss off the entire cabin.
>>
>>1175601
You've clearly never flown China Eastern then.
>>
>>1175601
Nigga what do you think those foil bags in the seat back are for?
>>
My girlfriend does this, traveling 2-3 times a month for work. At least with her situation, it's not as cool as it sounds. Most of the places are in random towns you'd never visit to travel. Sure I guess that's "authentic", but that's overrated (and "touristy is underrated IMO, but that's a different topic). Occasionally she's close enough to somewhere interesting and I'll meet her somewhere; so it's like we're going on a trip that she doesn't have to pay her flight for. Otherwise it's still work, and it's exhausting as fuck. It is cool to travel with her though because she has decent status on American.

Why don't I do it? I would've done it when I was younger maybe. I think a lot of these jobs don't pay all that much considering how much you have to work. I'm at the point in my career where I have a good enough network that I can get freelance gigs and charge a high enough rate that I could probably work half as much as I do and still fuck off and travel. I like my job and daily life for the most part though, so I'm mostly just saving my dough.
>>
>>1175484
>>1175484
>>1175484
This.
You don't just apply for stuff like that and get hired. It's a fantasy advertised in Craigslist scams directed at directionless losers. Sometimes, like some of the stories in this thread, you get real lucky fall into a good position with something you dont mind. Other times you're highly qualified and everyone wants you at their global HQ. Most of the time it sucks shit, you get dropped in the middle of nowhere Phoenix AZ and have to work overtime and then some to get your tedious and mundane job done before you collapse in your hotel. You don't have time to experience anything at all and you get paid diddly fucking squat. And that's not including the weeks you spend at coma-inducing training and "motivation" seminars every year.

I'm sorry if you actually think dream jobs just doing "consulting" in far-off and exotic locations exist and are readily available.
>>
In my job i get free flights to work free accommodation free food everything paid for.... shame i work in the Pilbara ;_;
>>
>>1175442
Because "consulting" isn't a real job, being a prostitute would be a more rewarding and honorable career.
>>
>>1175596
This.
Thread posts: 30
Thread images: 1

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.