[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

There any way to visit North African countries as a solo female

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 83
Thread images: 8

File: Lara-Logan.png (200KB, 468x286px) Image search: [Google]
Lara-Logan.png
200KB, 468x286px
There any way to visit North African countries as a solo female traveler without getting harassed? I'd really like to visit Tunisia, Egypt, and Morocco, but have heard nothing but horror stories about even modestly dressed women getting rocks thrown at them, and groped or molested in crowded areas. Are these as inevitable as everyone makes them out to be?
>>
>>1175265
no, absolutely not.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pippa_Bacca
>>
File: 22_niqabgraphic2.jpg (136KB, 730x310px) Image search: [Google]
22_niqabgraphic2.jpg
136KB, 730x310px
>>1175265

Depends on your eyebrow and iris color.
If you have dark eyebrow and brown eyes, wear a Niqab.
If you have blond eyebrow and blue/green eyes, wear a Burqa.

http://www.channel4.com/media/c4-news/images/22_niqabgraphic2.jpg
>>
>>1175265
No, a single female can't even visit north Mediterranean without getting harassed. I mean no one is going to throw rocks, but some jerk is going to grab your ass.
>>
>>1175274
oh that must be like...everywhere on the planet mothafucka
>>
>>1175271
Damn. She wasn't even hot and she got culturally enriched
>>
>>1175265
Why solo, anyway? It's kind of funny that you ask this question, where I have a group of women, a lesbian coupleand one of their sisters, who ask me to accompany them on foreign travel in order to have a man present. And they are legit feminists and SJWs and not this naive.
>>
>>1175265
I'd advise you not to do it.
It's even dangerous with male companions.
>>
>>1175326
I love traveling by myself. I've done solo trips to Lebanon, Spain, Turkey, Argentina, and Croatia and have had nothing but positive experiences. I find people to be more helpful and less likely to try to take advantage of you when you're on your own because they'll treat you less like a tourist who wants to buy shit and more like someone genuinely curious about the culture. It also forces you to engage and be more aware of your surroundings than traveling with an SO or friends.

It's hard to tell if the bad experiences other women have had in North Africa have been a result of lack of travel experience or something (I know this dumb bitch who went to Barcelona with her sorority biddies and decided to do a side visit to Marrakesh cuz "lol its like so close so why not?!" Retards wore fucking cut off shorts. Needless to say, it didn't go well), but know that isn't true for all women who have found themselves in such awful situations.

Anyway, the consensus of this thread is that North Africa is Rape Central. If even wearing a hijab won't help, it's not worth it.
>>
>>1175265
Just bring your brother and claim he's your husband.
>>
Go to Iran instead
>>
>>1175391
This.
>>
>>1175265
>There any way to visit North African countries as a solo female traveler without getting harassed?
Yes, if you wear a burqa or niqab.
>>
>>1175265
I'm male and I wouldn't even go anywhere near those places. Who the fuck wants to get bombed or kidnapped by some crazy local Al Kaida branch. I mean Tunisia was ok a couple of years ago before arab springs, and they didn't went full durka even after that but then beach bombings happened and it's all ogre now.
>>
>>1175663
Morocco is safe.
>>
>>1175663
Egypt is dangerous still?
>>
Even asking that question re-affirms my belief that White Western women are naive airheads.
>>
>>1175900
Even before the Arab spring it wasn't exactly safe.
>>
>>1175391
Be aware that if you aren't Canadian and do this you'll waive your ability to get free US travel visas.
>>
>>1175265
I can only answer for Morocco, but those reports are exaggerated. Lots of unwelcome comments in the cities. Nothing more. Take a friend, or pal up with someone from your hostel, and they'll stop.
I've been following the blog of a girl who just hitchhiked to Mauritania and back, had a great time.
Good for you for asking questions instead of dismissing the idea, OP.
>>
>>1175265
Kek no, my ex actually broke up with me over this. I wanted to hang out in North Africa more and she wanted to waste money and GTFO because Arab guys kept trying to give her the Trump treatment and she got tired of slapping their hands away.

I had a blast and met a QT greek girl anyway, so to hell with that 'whore' anyway. Tunisia and Tangier are awesome.
>>
>>1175271
She was really unattractive too...
>>
>>1175265
femnon here, DO NOT go anywhere in northern africa you're going to get harassed repeatedly every day and especially get stared at. arab men are seriously among the most disgusting pigs in the world for this and they see white women are whores so its okay for them to touch you and if you slap back they will punch you without thinking twice.
in egypt i was nearly raped if not for my travel friends
even in morocco i've had this happen even in casablanca and the beach areas where there are other tourists.
>>
>>1175961
You sayvno, then provide example of yes
>>
>>1175265
>There any way to visit North African countries as a solo female traveler without getting harassed?
You can try but it's not gonna happen.
>>
>>1175961
ahmed pls
>>
>>1175265
I would seriously advise you to not do so. I'm not exaggerating when I say that you have a high chance of getting raped/harassed or even kidnapped.

Stick to 1st world countries. As strong as the appeal is to visit North Africa, it's a very bad idea to do it solo.
>>
>>1175663

>Kaida
Qaeda*
>>
File: 20161018_122741.jpg (4MB, 5312x2988px) Image search: [Google]
20161018_122741.jpg
4MB, 5312x2988px
Just got back from Egypt/Tunisia.

Avoid Egypt at all costs right now, don't go to Cairo because without a friend is just asking for trouble. I saw the young and sexually frustrated male youths catcalling their own hijabi women. I can only imagine what will happen to you at the wrong place and time with these animals. The meme here is very, very real and people will side with males at all times.

Tunisia, on the other hand, is my favourite North African country. Plenty of 'liberated' girls there, wearing ripped jeans and stuff. In towns like Monastir, you can even wear shorts during daytime and not have to fear for your safety or be annoyed. Tourists also get a shit tonne of preference from government authorities so I mention of police will take care of most problems.

Go to TN, have a great time.
>>
File: 1476575622732.jpg (45KB, 625x469px) Image search: [Google]
1476575622732.jpg
45KB, 625x469px
>>1175265
Of course you can!!!! Youll be surrounded by the religion of peace!!! Dont be Bigot now, ahmed has a right to sexually assault you, its the only thing he knows, dont be so insensitive.
>>
A SERIOUS ANSWER

most retarded tourists just wear min skirts and a whole bunch of make up. Well of course you'll be harassed, but if you have a blouse and a regular pair of trousers, you'll be fine. Just dont be that retard that goes all out.

you'll be just fine
>>
>>1176419
>all those other people were asking for what happened to them

no. there is a very real rape culture in some countries, unlike here in the first world.
>>
>>1175931
Why Canadian Im curious as I am one
>>
>>1175900
It is. Been there last year and the country went to shit.
>>
Morocco is safe, you can have a great time there, especially in Marrakesh, you can walk in the streets at night and you can smoke some hookah at the bars.

I'm surprised why /trv/ never mentioned Algeria. It's a great country, safe (don't listen to those idiots, nobody wears burqa and that shit, just wear decent clothes and that's it), You can visit the capital Algiers, Jijel (has the best beaches in North-Africa), Oran & Telemcen are the richest cities of the west of Algeria, Constantine has some iconic monuments, and of course, the Sahara!
>>
>>1176429
It is a restriction on the Visa Waiver Program.

Canada and the USA do not require visas for each other's citizens, but that is under a separate deal than VWP.
>>
Only tangentially related question... is there any night life in the Maghreb? Is it easy to get laid? Or are people actually muslims there?

Because my impression of Morocco is entirely based on watching Casablanca a few years ago.

Also, is it possible to rent cars to drive in the desert? Or are there only tours where you are a passenger and can't drive yourself?
>>
>>1177525
Are you saying that I have to go all the way to Namibia to experience a proper hot desert? Plane tickets to the Maghreb are a lot cheaper.
>>
>>1177544
Gobi desert, my friend
>>
>>1177546
But that's also more than three times as expensive as flying to Morocco. And I don't speak Mongolian or Russian, whereas I do speak enough French to order beer and food, ask for directions and purchase tickets.

What's the worst that can happen? I thought that Moroccans are liberal and don't even wear hijabs. And that there are several American bars that cater specifically to foreigners. (Casablanca reference, I don't really expect this.)

I'm extremely prejudiced towards muslims, by the way. I would prefer it if they all stayed in their own countries. (I would be fine with muslim tourists, as long as they respect our culture, and I would obviously do the same when visiting.)

But Morocco seems like an excellent tourist destination. Mountains, beaches, a warm climate, a desert, great food, and old cities with ancient ruins and beautiful architecture.
Would they really be hostile towards a guest in their country?
>>
>>1177569
go and dont come crying to us when your FILM BASED WORLDVIEW doesnt quite match up to reality
>>
>>1177569
make a morocco thread then faggot, this thread's question has been answered
>>
>>1177569
Don't go to Marrakesh (because of the touts) and don't do anything stupid (no drugs or alcohol). If you follow these two simple rules you will be fine and you will have a good time.
>>
>>1175265
men treat women shockingly in many parts of the world

that's just their culture, "dressing local" "respecting customs" etc won't help you

in many places stalking and harassment will ruin your trip, men will just follow you around all day asking if you are single, if you will fuck them etc etc

more than that it is seriously unsafe in many parts of the world to travel alone as a woman
>>
>>1175271
That's in Turkey not North Africa you fool
>>
File: 1416691175610.jpg (110KB, 465x750px) Image search: [Google]
1416691175610.jpg
110KB, 465x750px
solo female traveler here who has traveled in morocco.

It depends where.

In Marrakesh and Rabat they will harass you non stop. by that I mean cat call you and pinch your butt.

In Riff however, no one even looks in your direction.

DEFINITELY DON'T GO TO EGYPT WITHOUT A MAN THOUGH.

I get the feel none of the people in this thread have been to north Africa
>>
>>1177524
>Because my impression of Morocco is entirely based on watching Casablanca a few years ago.

casablanca was set in the 1940's....
>>
>>1177752
Proooobably he knew that,
>>
Jesus Christ is it a meme now to pretend like you couldnt go to these countries? Or is it actually going downhill with this board that quickly...

Oh well I can only do my part and tell you to not listen to these people.
Only half the people (and maybe 20-30% in the cities) are even remotely religious, and the older, more polite people that are, wouldnt dare to show this kind of behaviour.
The biggest danger is (as literally everywhere else in the world) poor, young thug guys. Handle these as you would where you live.

From what Ive seen there, just about half of the solo travellers are girls and they all seemed to have a blast.
The worst are the local girls though: slutty as hell and throwing themselves at absolutely everybody all the time.
>>
>>1177524
>are people actually muslims there
Not really no. It took me about three weeks to find the first person who prayed and went to the mosque, and he was one of the most polite persons Ive ever met.

Nightlife is there, but since alcohol is so expensive I usually went with smoking hash with other travellers on the terrace at the hostels. Moroccan girls are fairly easy though if they are liberal (tons of feminists, communists and the likes who absolutely have to annoy the shit out of the conservatives by being as western as possible)
>>
>>1177924
read the thread you retard imbecile, it's completely impossible for a solo female traveler to travel in almost any muslim country without being harassed which was the question.
>>
File: that dial soap.jpg (155KB, 565x600px) Image search: [Google]
that dial soap.jpg
155KB, 565x600px
>>1177924
>Or is it actually going downhill with this board that quickly...

Help out by reporting /pol/ tier shit when it is posted. Mods are pretty good at helping out here, but they don;t seem to browse much, you gotta call 'em in.
>>
>>1175265
I went to these places (not a woman, but was with).

> Egypt would be sketchy
> Tunisia is ok in cities but keep on your toes when you go out in the countryside
> Morocco basically same as Tunisia.

Generally, it won't be straight up dangerous if you follow basic precautions but you will be annoyed regularly by bigot locals and some horny youth.
>>
>>1177924
You fail at comprehension

>>1175265

She may not get raped but she would absolutely be harassed, which for her might mean she may not enjoy herself. Some can shake it off, some can't.
>>
>>1178077 (continued)

> wall incoming

Oh and wearing a hijab won't do jack shit except maybe pissing some people off. Just keep a scarf to cover your head and shoulders if you want to visit mosque or something.

If people start to harass you, I would however recommend to stay very calm and not deal with them like you'd do at home. Don't act out big or start brandishing pepper spray to threaten or something like that. Local youth can be fairly violent and once the blood got heated, well, it turns very bad (as in being beaten and raped, let's not play around with words).
Except in Tunisia and parts of Morocco, cops won't exactly be in a rush to help you out so yeah, if something starts to smell fishy, keep things calm, keep walking and as soon as you can, get inside a store, restaurant, anything. Fairly common advices, really.

If you want to connect and have this special "bond" of intercultural friendships, go for older folks (60+) and women. Honestly, don't trust any men, even those who look richer and westernized (they might be even worse because they can pay their way out of trouble).

But to be totally honest, I don't think it will degenerate to much worse that cat calling and the occasional butt-pinching - which may be more than what you're willing to accept.

Things to see wise, nightlife is very rich in Casablanca (high end roof top bars, clubs and so on), less in the other Moroccan and Tunisian cities.
I recommend "Le Bao" in Casablanca, which is a club aimed at Sub-Saharan Africans (because Northern Africans are very racist too !), where you can actually enjoy yourself a bit.

All in all, Egypt is gone to shit (don't go), but Tunisia and Morocco are beautiful countries (nature and architecture), have rich cultures, good food, fairly nice people but their set of values is just really backwards. They are tough people to like, but they're interesting and worth visiting.

PS : Don't talk about gays/lesbians. Like ever.
>>
>>1177972
>it's completely impossible for a solo female traveler to travel in almost any muslim country

In most muslim countries a solo female traveler won't have any problems. It's mainly the north African ones. And, well, any African ones basically. Other than that, unless she goes to warzones, she'll be fine.
>>
>>1178103
Which basically leaves the Gulf States and SEA, though it is true that solo women don't have issues in these places. Post UAE and Indonesia are very popular solo woman destinations
>>
>>1178115
>there is no muslim country where a woman can go unharrassed.
Um, yes there are. Now stop /pol/luting this board.
>>
>>1178110
Central Asia as well. Kazakhstan, Uzbekistan, Kirghizstan are all fine as well.

And they're the good kind of Muslims. The ones who drink vodka and are not unsufferable bigots.
>>
>>1175381
I don't know. I get the idea that in some parts of the world, people will try to take an advantage of you when you're on your own, especially if you're a girl - some parts of Asia, Middle East and North Africa. I'm not telling you to cancel all of your plans, but sometimes having someone else to accompany you wouldn't be such a bad idea. Better safe than sorry.

It's just my viewpoint and I hope you'll continue to have only positive experiences. Just follow common sense and try to avoid any sketchy offers/places.
>>
>>1178117
no there is not
>>
>>1177972
Please go back to /pol/ to spout your memes.
>>
I'm an Arab and I advise you to please never visit any of these North African shitholes UNLESS you are going to stay in a famous beach resort with other tourists like in Ein Shams suberb where there will be many tourists but atm because of the Russian plane crash there won't be as many. The Pyramids of Giza fucking suck and they're boring and you will be harassed there (people trying to sell you stuff or trying to convince you to ride a camel) specially if you're not with a tour guide. These countries are dangerous even for other Arabs to go to because of how awful the people there are. If...if...if you decide to go DONT EVER GO TO THE CITIES EVER! and stay in your resort.
BECAUSE:-
1-They're hell seriously just google "cairo streets" and you will understand.
2-transportation is a nightmare and there's lots of traffic and GETTING IN A CROWDED BUS IS ASKING TO BE GROUPED and taxi drivers will try and scam you and it's quite dangerous for a woman to ride a taxi alone specially during the night even more so for a foreigner.
3-Just don't go.
The women getting rocks thrown at part is a lie but there's hords of horny men out there and excuse my language but Egyptians are ni*gers all Arabs hate them because of how materialistic, manipulative and disgusting they are. Tunisians are "Berbers" they're uncivilized and very similar to Egyptians in terms of behavior but maybe generally a bit better because they have a connection with Franch.
>>
>>1178125
People just listed a few, /pol/tard virgin.
>>
>>1175381
I would say there is a difference between lebanon, turkey and north-african countries
>>
>>1175265
Hi OP. Over the last years I visited Marokko and Tunisia. All male group. No problem there. BUT we talked to other tourists there. Every female gets groped. E-V-E-R-Y F-E-M-A-L-E. No exception. Doesnt matter with boyfriend or not. You walk through the inner city market of marrakesh (=medina), you will get groped constantly by men just walking by. There is nothing you can do.
For the men in those countries, western women are just whores. Skip those countries and travel to nicer places. Why would you do something liek that to yourself?
>>
>>1178189
> Arab accusing Egyptians of being materialistic, manipulative and disgusting
look in the mirror, please, m8.
>>
>>1177569
>I thought that Moroccans are liberal and don't even wear hijabs.
there are quite a few who don't in casablanca, rabat etc. but the majority do, especially in rural areas
on the whole moroccans are much more conservative than europeans and north americans (even those who dress western)

>I'm extremely prejudiced towards muslims, by the way
don't go to morocco then

>Would they really be hostile towards a guest in their country?
usually they would not but they'll make an exception when you tell them how you feel about their culture
>>
>>1178189
>khaleeji thinks he knows anything about north africa because he's an "ARAB"
>>
>>1175265
>any way to visit North African countries as a solo female traveler without getting gang-raped,killed,burned and sold into prostitution (not in this order) ?
If you're an european woman or asian woman and you want to go through with this,I pity your family.

>done solo trips to Lebanon, Spain, Turkey, Argentina, and Croatia
>I traveled through tourist hotspot civilized countries and think I'm the shit
Did you read "Eat,pray,love" while doing it?

You have the entire world available and you want to visit the anus of it?The desert part of it filled with inbred muslimes forever stuck in the 9th century?
Just go to Marseilles,Barcelona,Rotterdam, if you want "Nord afrika".Hell,the entire nordrhein-westfalen in Germany.
>>
YEP
YOU WILL BE GROPED CONSTANTLY if not raped or kidnapped
>>
>>1175265
>There any way to visit North African countries as a solo female traveler without getting harassed? I'd really like to visit Tunisia, Egypt, and Morocco
1 ticket to Paris and you'll visit them all,I guarantee you.

Don't get scared when they grab you by the pussy,thats "hello".
>>
just visit Dearborn Michigan and you ill change ur proclivity toward mslms
>>
>>1179293
>>1179295
Samefag pls leave
>>
>>1179286
>>1179294
/pol/ pls go

You have to be 18 to be on this site anyway.
>>
>>1179295
Dearborn has some of the chiller Muslimsnever. What are you talking about?
>>
>>1175265
>Your white privilege is showing
>>
>>1176701
because it's not as touristic as tunisia or morocco
(and that's exactly why i love algeria desu)
>>
>>1176701
Are you Algerian by any chance ?

I disliked Algeria thoroughly. While the country in itself is beautiful, the people makes it a horrible experience. Aggressive, annoying, constant bickering, bureaucratic like hell, corrupt.
Maybe because I'm French, but I had a lot of passive aggressiveness in Algiers and Oran and couldn't wait to get out. Which is a shame because it has so much to discover.
>>
>>1179314
t. achmed
>>
>>1175265
i'm from tunisia
peope are affraid with women wearing niqab it's even prohibited by law so don't worry 60% tunisian wear like europeans
>>
I got back from Morocco 2 months ago, spent a month there. Girls who traveled in pairs or groups with other girls seemed to find it ok. Girls who traveled with guys liked it also. I met one girl who was doing Morocco solo and her exact words were: I'm never coming back here again.

Basically she was just incredibly disgusted with the way she had been treated. I don't think anything that made her feel completely "threatened" had happened, but the harassment was really bad, and relentless. People in Morocco are relentless in general; even as a male that is obviously not Moroccan, you will be harassed over tea, shoes, directions, restaurants, food, tours, boats, drugs, anything imaginable, for 15-20 minutes at a time depending on the city, area and scammer.

Don't go as a solo female. Not a good idea.
>>
Tits or gtfo slut
Thread posts: 83
Thread images: 8

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.