[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Planning a trip around the world, but a problem I have is that

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 12
Thread images: 1

File: medi.png (234KB, 353x460px) Image search: [Google]
medi.png
234KB, 353x460px
Planning a trip around the world, but a problem I have is that I need bi-weekly medical shots because of my medical sickness. These shots need to be kept in cool temperature before I take them. How can I travel the world like this?
>>
>>1173794
Cold packs, a mini cooler and careful planing.

How do you do shorter trips? Adapt that plan.

And consider how fucked you are if shit turns brown on you -- sounds like balancing risks/rewards here is going to be important. I would at least figure out what your closest point of re-supply is for each planned stop.
>>
>>1173794
There are many insulated bags with cold packs/ice packs on the market, but virtually all of them will require you to have access to a freezer or ice every 24 hours or so... some interesting discussion here: http://saidsupport.org/medication-travel-cooler-bag-recommendations-from-our-patient-community/

I'm a Type I diabetic, and have traveled in very hot places for up to a few months at a time with a supply of insulin--I made sure to have access to freezers or at least fridges for cold packs (hotel fridges are often good but don't always have a freezer compartment). And I made sure to always have air conditioning in my rooms, which mostly keeps the drugs below the temperature at which they would cook. But having ice and a small cooler for transit (a day on a bus or train in high heat conditions) was essential.
>>
>>1173794
Well you can, but you'll need to travel with some planning. The more remote, primitive and southerly you destination the higher the probability that the vital serum you need twice a week will have been exposed to temperatures that will render it ineffective and lead to your death. I'm guessing from this you are a bleeder or a hemophiliac. So stay to the northern, developed, civilized parts of the globe or the very southerly more primitive parts (during their winter which is usually the summer in the UK). Good luck and have fun.
>>
>>1173794
Are you diabetic? I had a friend who took his pump all over the place, even into the Sahara with no ice packs and never had a problem.

With the exception of Asia people all over the world or at least in both Africa and South America seem to be quite familiar with diabetes. Koreans were completely bewildered by the condition.
>>
>>1174838
No. Ulcertative colitis . I take a humira shot every two weeks. It needs to be in cold. If I don't take my shots I get extreme stomach pain and uncontrollable poop.

They do provide a travel kit and like the other poster says you need to put it in ice every 24 hours and that is just going to be a hassle, let alone having to travel with it. I was thinking a viable option would be family back home priority mailing in to me if I give them a destination or hostel I will be at. Do you think this would be a viable option or too complicated. I don't know how good shipping is in other countries and worried someone at a hostel will steal it as the shots are 2500 dollars a month.
>>
>>1174846
Its a viable backup, if you can do both.

Can you afford to have them just send a package to every hostile you're going to the same day or one day before you arrive?

I can't lie to you about your chances but you have my sympathies.
>>
>>1174846
Don't have shit delivered to a hostel then. On the days you are expecting your shot, stay in a nicer hotel that will receive it for it. If you are too poor to do that 1-2 days at a time, you sure can't stand for someone to steal $2500 worth of meds either. Ideally, since you are doing loads of time away, then I would suggest renting home a week at a time or staying in BnBs, you know where a real kitchen exists, and there is a owner there at all times.

DHL and similar carriers use a signature service. What you can't count on though, is a delay in customs for any reason whatsoever, inspectors can take their time.

What I would do is take about 3-4 doses with me, and keep them refrigerated daily. It's not ridiculous to have ice daily. Just ask the hotel restaurant. Keep a nice cooler, like a vacuum flask quality that can go 12hours or more. You might also have a few old fashioned breakable ice bags for the offchance you run into a pinch for a couple of hours. These vials are far safer with you than mailed one at a time going through foreign customs.

In 6 weeks, decide if you even like the traveling. Around the world is a long damn time without breaking it up with some family visits. Also, will your symptoms return immediately? Or gradually over time? If you aren't willing to adjust your travel safety arrangements, maybe drop the idea of budget travel and take it up a level. A rental car with your cooler hidden in the trunk, locked tight. Daily ease of purchase of ice at groceries. A bit of freedom you know?
>>
>>1174846
you need to specify your disease in the OP you idiot

there's a pretty good chance in 1/3 of the entire world you won't be able to get those shots on a timely basis through a hospital. priority mail routinely falls off boats, gets stolen, lost, or 4 weeks late in the developing world.

you're better off asking on an ulcerative colitis board.

just FYI, it's rare, but I've been stuck in mountain towns for weeks at a time before because of things like flooding, etc that are completely unpredictable.

it WILL happen at some point if you're going around the world. be especially careful in africa and south america. nothing works, ever.
>>
>>1173794
many places you can't even find ice. just FYI
>>
>>1173794
It's Humira for rheumatoid arthritis isn't it?
>>
>>1174846
I didn't read this. Half right. Pharmafag
Thread posts: 12
Thread images: 1

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoin at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Posts and uploaded images are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that website. If you need information about a Poster - contact 4chan. This project is not affiliated in any way with 4chan.