[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Can someone please explain to me exactly what the "real

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 19
Thread images: 2

File: 1474348989210.jpg (46KB, 500x375px) Image search: [Google]
1474348989210.jpg
46KB, 500x375px
Can someone please explain to me exactly what the "real traveler" meme is?
I'm guess it's something to do with one person being snobbish and critizing the way in which another person travels, but is there a copypasta image that it originated from?

Sorry for poor English, it is not my first language.
>>
>>1173042
It's a relatively newish /trv/ meme (only 2-3 years old), but since we have so few you see it a lot.

Originally, it was used to lampoon (archetypical/hypothetical) rich dreadlocked trustafarians slumming it in Africa, India or Thailand or whatever. The sort of people who purposely get tapeworm or hepatitis by eating shit so they can brag about it, and play didgeridoo in Peru, lecture you about cultural sensitivity while playing Enya music videos to African orphans.

Nowadays, a Real Travellerâ„¢ is a slur you can throw at anyone who travels in a way that you don't like.

Doesn't stay in hostels? REAL TRAVELLER!
Does stay in hostels? REAL TRAVELLER!
Carries an actual 80l hiking backpack? REAL TRAVELLER!
Carries a rolling suitcase? REAL TRAVELLER!
Eats street food? REAL TRAVELLER!
Only eats at McDonalds and fancy restaurants? REAL TRAVELLER!

You get the idea.
>>
I am no expert, in fact far from it. I just started to coming to sites to learn about budget traveling.

This is kind of what I have perceived, for this and a couple of other sites.

There are generally two types of travel. One, which I have done a great deal of. Where you get a decent hotel, visit mostly touristy spots, stay for a few days to a couple of weeks, and go home. Most everything is preplanned, and while not necessarily 5 star is not shoestring budget.

The other, often practiced by young people who want to see the world, have some adventures, and travel before they settle into their idea of adult life. Not say that some don't consider this the best life. Anyway, this often happens before they go to college or perhaps just after. They go for longer periods of time, often just an idea and not a real plan or reservations. They live on very little money. They often stay in hostels, because they are cheap and they meet others of a like mind. While it's often called solo travel, not many people truly want to be alone for very long.

Anyway, if I am way off I am sure someone will tell me. I am on the other end of the cycle. I already raised a family, put in 30 plus years in a career, and am now divorced and free to do whatever I want. That being said, if I am going to travel more than a couple of weeks I will have to be on a "travelers" type budget, so that I do blow my whole wad someplace like Carnival in Rio. (did that once).
>>
Sorry, let me continue. So that was the basics.

Now it's kind of like, people who have been doing this hard core, deep into the cultural, shun anything touristy, type travel. Look down on anyone who say went to an all inclusive for a long weekend. Like you can't even call that travel.

Not that 40 year old business guys give a shit about what 20 year olds think anyway, but the ones who really get grief, are the ones who want to come off as "real travelers" but you can tell they have never been anywhere or done anything.

I do understand that if you have had to sleep in an airport, or park, or room with two dozen other people. If you have been way out of your comfort zone, you should get some respect for overcoming challenges. I just don't think putting others who have not down really increases your status. Carry on.
>>
>>1173042
>RealTravelerâ„¢
Don't forget the "TM", the meme isn't genuine otherwise.

I don't know if it has morphed to what >>1173060 describes. I haven't seen it used so much in the ironic "only do easy/touristy stuff" kind of way.

But yeah, generally, it's used kinda as an insult to anyone bragging that they live it rough while traveling, drinking cow piss, sleeping in squats and drug dens, taking the whole ordeal as some kind of badge of honor. Also, they will often claim that anyone who might not be super enthusiastic about tiring trips such as crossing the Kalahari desert surviving on sundried lamb meat and stained water, clad in cumbersome clothes, the whole thing walking and eventually hitchhiking, is just a weak faggot.

There is a lot of one-upmanship on /trv/ as you might see. I fondly remember the self-proclaimed "king of /trv/" who was boasting in every single African travel thread about his overland North-South trip in Africa and shitting down on anyone who was bringing up that it isn't exactly easy to travel there. Especially since a part of his trip was in Somalia "look at me guys, so brave, you're all weak little shits".
Guess what, he wasn't very well received, and heavily admonested as a RealTravelerâ„¢.
>>
>>1173042
ITT: A bunch of Real Travelers (tm).

>Never forget the tm, dammit.
>>
>>1173042
Btw, it hasn't been spawned from a copy pasta or anything, it just sort of happened.
>>
File: 1473923375885.jpg (85KB, 917x900px) Image search: [Google]
1473923375885.jpg
85KB, 917x900px
>>1173060
>Carries an actual 80l hiking backpack? REAL TRAVELLER!

Lel. Do people seriously care that much about the capacity of your bag? I have an 80l bag, we'll 70+10, but that's how I roll.
>>
>>1173042
It's no different to any other activity. In every activity you have elitists who look down on those with a more casual/shallow interest as a way of making themselves good. Of course it's hypocritical and stupid because everyone is a pleb in most aspects; the person who has entry-level travel interests will inevitably have more developed knowledge than the travel elitist in some other areas. It manifests in one-upmanship, where the elitist tries to explain their travelling choices are more discerning, their experience more meaningful, their hardships greater.

The realtravelerTM is used to mock the ridiculousness of travel elitists, and dismiss them as they should be dismissed.
>>
I'll just add that it can be more pronounced with travel because hardcore long-term often implies giving up on a conventional lifestyle. When the long-term traveler sees say, a family enjoying the convenience of a package tour, or a richfag enjoying the luxury of a 5 star hotel, or a group of normie college students partying, the traveler needs some mental gymnastics to convince themselves that what they themselves are experiencing is more meaningful and satisfying than any of that 'pleb-tier' stuff. When traveling is tied so closely to your identity and self-worth your subconscious brain will go to great lengths to protect that.
>>
They're the sort of people who say things like
>I'm not a tourist, I'm a traveler!
>Ugh, I used to like that place, but now there's so many tourists
>That city isn't the REAL (Country), if you want the REAL (Country), you have to go blah blah blah

They are the sort of people who if they see another white person during their excursions out will get annoyed.
>>
>>1173319
Well said
>>
>>1173060
>80L backpack
fucking kek, anything more than 38L is retarded. just carry liquid detergent and wash your clothes in the sink.
>>
i'd say the actual hallmark of the real traveler tm is that they call people out on things that makes them tourists or whatever as opposed to real travelers tm, ie
>if you haven't done foo you're not a real traveler
or
>if you do bar you're not a real traveler
>>
>>1173060
this
>>
>>1173137
>"king of /trv/"
Yeah, that was cool. Baitmaster extraordinaire, but funny regardless.
>>
>>1174687
Any screencaps? I remember him being worth a giggle, but never saved any of the threads.
>>
>>1173060
Inbetweeners 2 has a few of them. The best bit is near the end.

https://youtu.be/25PkAx88WtU
>>
>>1173042
Its like wearing a fedora in a travel-wise sense.
Thread posts: 19
Thread images: 2

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.