[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

is the 'airbus planes always crash' meme just a meme

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 15
Thread images: 3

File: Airbus_A380_blue_sky.jpg (251KB, 761x428px) Image search: [Google]
Airbus_A380_blue_sky.jpg
251KB, 761x428px
is the 'airbus planes always crash' meme just a meme or is it real

i wanna travel but i dont feel comfortable getting in one of these
>>
>>1167677
Take a look at some statistics
Planes from major first world companies almost never crash
>>
>>1167677
You're 100000x more likely to die on the way to the airport than you ever are in an airplane itself.

Everytime an Airbus crashes it makes headline news. When's the last time you've heard the news?
>>
>>1167677
What a waste of double-1/double-67/double-7.

That's like asking "I'm a vegetarian, so what is it safe to eat lettuce if I don't want to eat meat?" Flying is ridiculously safe, across a surprising number of airlines and aircraft models.

But if you want to think you are safer on a plane with a 0.0000000000000000001% chance of crashing than one with a 0.0000000000000000002% chance, then:

http://www.fearofflying.com/resources/safest-airliners-and-airline-safety.shtml
>>
File: germanwings.png (368KB, 945x574px) Image search: [Google]
germanwings.png
368KB, 945x574px
>>1167682
>>
>>1167684
yeah but at least you have control over whether you die on the way to the airport
>>
>>1167687
Almost never...and that was an extremely special circumstance.
>>
>>1167684
>You're 100000x more likely to die on the way to the airport than you ever are in an airplane itself.
>>1167685
>But if you want to think you are safer on a plane with a 0.0000000000000000001% chance of crashing than one with a 0.0000000000000000002% chance, then:
Useless, made-up statistics are just not worth saying.

OP, statistically, planes have cycles, and that's roughly takeoffs and landings, versus like actual mileage. Older planes are just going to have more fatigue, but severe turbulence, extreme use in cargo (that Zero G plane equipment is an example of plane that shouldn't be stressed to hell). You can look up the equipment of certain airlines and see what kind of crap that plane has been through. Then you have new planes bought by oil sheiks and flown by only 1 competent pilot, with some jackass in the copilot seat related to the sheik, but who only ever sold used cars. Asian airlines? They're not ex-military with thousands of hours, but rather they learned on flight simulator equipment someone put in their house. There will always be underqualified people going into planes when demand is high, as it is in Asia. The issue with Airbuses is the totally electronic lack of fly-by-wire a pilot can do do when the shit hits the fan. You don't need to worry about that, because the pilot won't have any skill anyway today, if you aren't on a major top 10 US or European carrier (countries that have militaries and enough competition).
Although I don't fear Airbuses myself, there's a benefit to the largest equipment, in that typically (in the right airline) it's flown by the most seasoned Captain, by seniority. Same for trans-pacific and trans-atlantic crews.
>>
>>1167694
And WITH that, the odds are still far greater that you'll buy it in your car than in a plane.
>>
>>1167705
>Useless, made-up statistics are just not worth saying.

Hyperbole is often used to make a point. I bet I see it see it 78,000,000,000,000 time a day.

>OP, statistically, planes have cycles, and that's roughly takeoffs and landing ... trans-pacific and trans-atlantic crews.

Yeah, and with all that is is still an insanely safe mode of transport. I'd ride a Chinese plane with less trepidation than a Chinese bus -- though general trepidation levels would be pretty low in either case.
>>
>>1167694
No you don't. Are you going to stop some guy running a red light a t-boning into you? Someone falling asleep and veering into the other side of the highway. I'd trust someone who has flown enough to fly a large commercial jet in the air with equally trained other people than myself driving a car
>>
>>1167677
its real. they crash every day. actually only 1 out of 10 reaches its destination. boeing is all good, the never crash, never.
>>
You are very lucky if you die on an airplane, its almost the best death you could wish for. But its also the rarest death a human could have.
>>
I think part of it is due to that Air France crash.
>Pilot attempts to climb
>Airspeed starts decreasing
>Airplane starts to enter stall, altitude drops
>Junior pilot panics and starts pulling back on the stick in order to try and gain altitude, instead of pushing forward (i.e. piloting 101).
>More experienced first officer and captain don't realise this is occurring since the two sticks move independently (on a Boeing the other pilot could tell immediately what the junior pilot was imputing)
>Airplane stalls and plummets into the ocean while the Junior pilot keeps the stick pulled back the whole way down.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Air_France_Flight_447
>>
File: 1256261720836.gif (2MB, 250x200px) Image search: [Google]
1256261720836.gif
2MB, 250x200px
>>1169144
>But its also the rarest death a human could have.

Shark attack is just one of many rarer ways to people die. I know this, I am a shark.
Thread posts: 15
Thread images: 3

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.