[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Moving to Houston from LA. What's Houston like, any tips?

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 9
Thread images: 2

File: 20160511_234439.jpg (2MB, 3264x1836px) Image search: [Google]
20160511_234439.jpg
2MB, 3264x1836px
Moving to Houston from LA. What's Houston like, any tips? How does the city compare to Los Angeles?
>>
You can smell the money when you walk down the street. Downtown is cleaner than a nuns ass. Several large cities a few hours away. Lots of Mexicans, but generally hard working successful.

Tough to say what it's like living there though.
>>
>>1167405
Keep an open mind and you'll like it. I was born and raised there. I live on the east coast now but there isn't a day i don't miss being there.
Its surprisingly clean for the most part. There are unlimited choices on restaurants and different foods to eat. You've probably had your share of good mexican food but in Houston, at least in my experience, most people are from Mexico City or more southern cities like Cuernavaca, Puebla, and Oaxaca. So the food is more in that style. Especially Duranguese style.
Houston Is not a walkable city by any means unluess you're in downtown or midtown or montrose.
>>
>>1167478
Plenty of good choice for museums and art galleries near downtown. Little Asian is a 15 minute drive from downtown. Little Korea just north of I-10. Don't fear venturing into mexican neighborhoods. Like the previous poster said, most mexicans there are hard working, decent people. Hit up an ice house while you're there for cheap beer and usually a taco truck across the street.
The Alley Theater and Theater Under the Stars is surprisingly good with plenty of broadway shows and musicals if you're into that thing. Good dro is easy to find.
People are polite unless you talk shit about the sports teams, but even then if its obvious you're just kidding around, people don't mind. Houstonians appreciate good banter. Since we know all our teams suck anyway.
We like dry, self-deprecating humor, similar to the Irish. We like to drink. We like to grill. ANd we love BBQ
>>
I live just north of Houston. I have never lived in L.A. only visited on a few occasions. I would say the Houston traffic, while not good, is not as bad. The road system in Houston is confusing and the city was not planned, it just sort of grew and except for the major roadways, you can't get around easily.

Like a lot of places, there are really nice areas, and then a few areas to avoid.

Overall, I think it is as good as any for a huge city.

I would guess you will find the people of Texas more down to earth, less concerned with looks and health, and probably friendly on average.

Texas has both open and concealed carry on firearms, and many people have guns on them all the time, but you won't notice it. I have never seen anyone pull a gun in public, but I have a few friends who have.
>>
File: ktrk-072907-marvin3.jpg (46KB, 640x480px) Image search: [Google]
ktrk-072907-marvin3.jpg
46KB, 640x480px
I lived in nearby Pearland as a teen in the 00s. Can't say much other than that Houston is generally a pretty decent place with pretty nice people. Random suggestion: shop at Central Market some time, they're like Whole Foods but less precious and more international. Also keep in mind that Galveston island is pretty close and Austin's only like 3.5 hours.
>>
Thanks you guys, this has all been incredibly helpful
>>
>>1167405
Dumny im in the same aktuarialnego situation but I'm just in rehab in LA. Moving back to Houston again to live with my parents. Humid with mosquitos and Mexicans galore. Mushrooms this time of year
>>
It is a very car oriented city but if you are used to LA then that is normal for you. More often than not it is hot and humid. Good food (tex mex is god tier imo) schools, bars, clubs, etc. Like one anon above mentioned Galveston is nearby. Though the water quality in Galveston in terms of swimming is questionable. I'm planning on moving there next year. I feel like it's an affordable city to live in as well.
Thread posts: 9
Thread images: 2

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.