[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Going to Chicago for a business trip and staying there a couple

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 28
Thread images: 4

File: chicago.jpg (172KB, 1280x427px) Image search: [Google]
chicago.jpg
172KB, 1280x427px
Going to Chicago for a business trip and staying there a couple of days. What's there to do besides get shot?
>>
I'm also here for business. Need advice.
>>
>>1166674
get murdered
>>
>>1166674
>>1167298
Born and raised Chicagoan here. Any questions / specifics you would like to know?
>>
>>1167336
ye where's ferris buellers house and school?

where can u get the best pizza pie?

where is the windiest street?

where the projects at?

where the most people die at?
>>
thirding.

going there soon and would like some advice. also don't want to get shot, thanks.
>>
You won't get shot. You'll be fine.
If you want deep dish pizza, my favorite is Pizzeria Uno. But Gino's East and Lou Malnatti's have their fans as well.
Most people get shot on the southside. Specifically in a neighborhood called Englewood. I doubt you'll even get close to that.
What else?
>>
>>1167904
Sure, what shit would you show someone if it was their first time in the city?

apart from the pizza places.
>>
>>1167338
Bueller's house in in the northern ritzy burbs of Chicago. John Hughes grew up there. Most of the projects are gone resulting in dispersing of knuckleheads and the present reign of terror.
>>
>>1167930
You are probably staying in the loop, correct? Check out the riverwalk. It's really beautiful and the weather should be pretty pleasant.

If you want to learn something, take a Chicago River Architecture cruise. There are a few companies that do it, but I've used Shoreline Sightseeing and they are excellent.

Chicago has one of the best Art Museum's in the world: the Art Institute of Chicago.

The Second City is also great if you want to see a show. I haven't been in a couple of years, but it's always funny and their current revue is getting a lot of good press. Plus it's in a pretty cool neighborhood called Old Town. If you go, go early so you can walk around a little.

Which brings me to another point, Chicago exists in its neighborhoods. Most visitors never leave the loop, and that's fine, but the neighborhoods around the loop are where everything happens. Check out Wicker Park and Logan Square for great bars and restaurants. When people come in town and I want to impress them with really fancy (and expensive) cocktails, I take them to the Violet Hour in Wicker Park. I know it's a little hipstery and pretentious but they really are amazing cocktails if that's your thing.

Live music? We have awesome small time venues: the Hideout, Double Door (right by Violet Hour btw), the Empty Bottle. Also, jazz at the Green Mill and Blues at Buddy Guy's.

Larger venues like the Vic, the Riviera, and Thalia Hall host the larger touring acts. Check them out to see if anyone is playing there that you know.

If there is something you are into, I might be able to narrow it down. Have fun!

And if I have a moment, I think it's worth pointing out that while Chicago has been in the news a lot regarding violence, it's still a safe city. It looks bad when you have 600 homicides in a year, but Chicago is still a big city with something like 2 million people in it. So the per capita homicide rate is lower than New Orleans and Nashville.
>>
>>1168031
I don't even have anything to do with this thread, but nice tips, anon!

Was reading an interview with one of my favorite musicians and he talked a lot about Logan square, the hideout, Lula cafe, etc. Might have to visit sometime...
>>
>>1166674
I've heard they have good jazz clubs, but I decided to just spend a few hours there and leave by train because the cheapest hotel room was 800/night. Went to one burger place, was bland as fuck. Ironically enough, Americans do not know how to make proper burgers.
>>
>>1168180
Burgers:
Kuma's Corner
Bad Apple
Sidecar at Longroom
Lots more

Of course there are excellent burgers in Chicago and practically every other American city. A little research can be your best friend.
>>
>>1168233
kek, was just shitposting m8. Thanks for the recommendations, I'll hit them up when I go back.
>>
OP here: whoever hijacked my thread did a pretty good job. Wound up walking up and down the magnificent mile, went to the zoo, rode around the bus, went to a gastropub near North Western and am now in need of some help on what I can do during the night.

Is it possible to do a pub/jazz crawl on a Monday night? How's the Green Mill and The Whisperer? After that, what are some places that I can go to in the early hours that are safe? Millennium Park? Would it be advisable to not take the rail during the hours of 2-6 AM (if they're even running).

One more thing: what's a good coffee place with really fast internet? Strong coffee, preferably.
>>
File: IMG_20161002_141042.jpg (4MB, 3120x4160px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_20161002_141042.jpg
4MB, 3120x4160px
Also, where can I find this??? It's a model of the real thing in the AI museum.
>>
P.S. Staying in River North, if that helps.
>>
>>1168298
P.P.S. Lou's was fucking horrible.

t. jew yorker
>>
>>1168295
For Jazz Green Mill is the classic and it's such a cool place, I'd highly recommend. There is also the Hungry Brain. It used to be one of my favorite shithole dive bars and then it closed, but a local jazz drummer named Mike Reed bought it and reopened it. They have jazz tonight. That's all I got on jazz. There is a place called Andy's jazz club and it's downtown, but I've never been there.

I actually don't know when the trains stop running anymore. I'm old. I don't close down bars like I used to. But honestly, I'd spring for an uber at that hour either way.

Intelligentsia coffee is pretty great and I think they have locations in River North. Can't speak to their wifi though.

Not sure about the sculpture.

Sorry you didn't like Lou Malnatti's.
>>
>>1168239
Fair enough, bro
>>
>>1168309
>Hungry Brain
Looks fucking sweet. I'm pretty stoked about the Green Mill as well, kind of ashamed I didn't bother looking into bike rentals with how bike lanes seem like a comfy mode of travel, as long as you don't get caught in a truck's blind spot, here in Chicago. I'm also open to more things to do late @ night besides jazz, but I'd figure I would throw you a softball. Might head out to Logan Sq.'s Barcade, too.

Anyway, Lou was awful. It was gimmicky, the mozzarella sticks looked/tasted refrigerated and the pizza's ingredients tasted canned. Really ruined dinner and I'm now not feeling the deep dish hype at all.

Anyway, what's with every coffee shop and restaurant being a part of a hotel?
>>
File: image.jpg (1MB, 3264x2448px) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
1MB, 3264x2448px
Ive been going to Chicago every summer. Go to Chinatown and order a big fucking thing of sushi at a place known as Hing Kee.
>Best
>Shit
>Ever
>>
If you're feeling suicidal, head to Inglewood, otherwise you should avoid any run down looking part of Chicago.
>>
>>1168317
Oh yeah! You can probably still get a divvy bike. You'll see their stands around town and they work for short term rentals. You just swipe your credit card at a station and take the bike. They are all over, but grab the divvy app to find your nearest station (there's also this app that I am totally gay for https://transitapp.com/. It finds you, tells you the nearest bus stops with times to the next bus. Also trains. And lets you know about divvy stations as well). Keep in mind that these are short term rentals, you are supposed to return it to a station (any station in the city, that is) within 30 minutes. So great for quick jaunts around town. It may solve your late night problem.

Honestly, it's Monday night. Shit's going to close down on you at some point.

Logan Square is a cool neighborhood. You'll like it. And it's a younger crowd so there will probably still be going later. No promises though.

I honestly don't know what you mean about coffee shops/restaurants in hotels. That's not the case in my neighborhood.

Oh, I see now. I looked up Intelligentsia and see they have a place in the Monadnock building. The area you are staying in used to be a lot more raw. A lot of these places were like hourly rental hotels. Dirty/scuzzy roach places. But there's been a shit ton of investment down there and that just seems to be the trend. I'm sure there's some businessy term for it but that's just how people have been reviving these old hotels and buildings. Have a couple of revenue streams, that kind of thing. Don't let it scare you. Just embrace.
>>
File: IMG_20161003_235736.jpg (1MB, 4160x3120px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_20161003_235736.jpg
1MB, 4160x3120px
The Green Mill made me feel as if I were stand-in on the set for Eyes Wide Shut or The Blue Velvet. Surprisingly very cheap drinks, given how big of landmark it is. So far, the coolest place I've been in Chicago, despite the presence of Beijing's trust fund babies everywhere I go here. What's up with that?

>>1168328
Will be on the lookout for these Divvy bikes, may even do a bike tour.
>>
>>1168382
Sweet! You made it!
>>
>>1168309
New Yorkers will judge bad or strange pizza.
>>
>>1168382
>despite the presence of Beijing's trust fund babies everywhere I go here
I've been living in Chicago for awhile and the chinks are everywhere now. Recently a chink student was killed in an accident and people in the comment section of the tribune were cheering, lmfao.
Thread posts: 28
Thread images: 4

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.