[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

I've been living in New York City all my life. The ennui

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 39
Thread images: 2

File: 1465418007708.jpg (236KB, 1559x1039px) Image search: [Google]
1465418007708.jpg
236KB, 1559x1039px
I've been living in New York City all my life. The ennui is hitting hard.
I want to live in another US city for at least a few years while I'm still young and not tied down. I'm a software engineer and my girlfriend's a nurse so our options are pretty flexible.
Currently considering Boston and LA. Any other cities I should consider? What are the pros/cons?
>>
From ny.

you will hate la.

try oakland, more of an ny vibe.
>>
>>1165533
Got any specific examples? I don't mind a different vibe, it's why I want to leave. As long as I can rent somewhere close to work and there's stuff to do, I'm open to anywhere.
>>
>>1165533
LA seems really damn different from NYC
>>
>>1165496
try boston,
idk how old you are, but if you post up in Medford, Arlington, Brighton/Jamaica Plain/Newton areas, and get into the whole Massachusetts vibe, you'll be pleasantly surprised.

I lived there a while, If I were 27 and had a qt which i was with for 3+ years, and had a combined income of over 120k, I'd buy a duplex house in Billerica, Nicer parts of Lowell, Framingham, or Bedford. especially near the Commuter rail is a solid investment.
Boston is nice in the sense that people stop partying after 25. you meet people at comfy house parties, game nights, afterwork beers, the women are kind of beat (like shift the distribution curve of NYC 2 points down). Everyone is smart relative to most places and networking is easy because the city is small. Boston is a nice place if you want to start a family and feel part of a community. This may sound like a boring life, but idk I'd like to work at a tech company in Lexington or Cambridge, come home at 4pm and hangout with my wife and kid in a 1850's townhouse, with weekly excursions to Newbury street, or a craft brewery on the weekends.
>>
>>1165496
You might consider looking at some small cities -- I mean, if the goal is to experience something different from where you are now...
>>
>>1165571
That sounds super gay
>>
>>1165571
That actually sounds pretty close to what I'm going for.
The only thing that makes me hesitant about Boston is the temperature... New York is cold enough, I don't know if I'd be okay with it being even colder.
>>
>>1165496
>boston

Most bland, overrated city in the world, and why would you stay on the east coast if you're looking to try something different.

You can find fun, hip neighborhoods in places like Minneapolis and Milwaukee. Seattle is a great city, so is San Diego. Why not try something new instead of staying in your east coast bubble?
>>
>>1165979
Ah hadn't considered Seattle. Thanks!
And I hadn't even considered the whole east/west coast thing. As long as it's something different I don't care how close/far it is from here
>>
>>1165571
Hey man,
Nice post :) Don't care about the haters. I have two questions for you:
1) How are you dealing with premature baldness? Clean shave or stylish hats?
2) What glasses brand is your favorite?
3) any tips on beard trimming?
Thanks! Maybe once we'll have a chance to discuss this over a nice cup of coffee. I know a local barista who's just awesome with pour over skills!
>>
Seattle
>>
Come to Miami OP, I've only met 1 non-native who hated it here and it was basically because she hated Cubans
>>
>>1165496
One thing to bear in mind is that. where ever you go, there you are. A change of scenery is all well and good, bu the "ennui" is not out there, it is something you carry inside. Changing the way you live does not always require changing where you live. And stuff like that.

None of which is to argue against living somewhere else, if you want to do that. But don;t look on it as the complete solution to your problems.
>>
>>1166780
Yeah I doubt NYC is the problem
>>
>>1165496
LA is far different from NY. Public transportation is practically non-existent and you must need a car to get around. Which leads to another problem of the notorious traffic problems in LA due to the fact that public transportation is shit. Unlike NYC where even if the traffic is shit , you can just use the metro or get on a bus, there is no metro in LA and the bus lines are terrible which is why everyone is force to opt for a car
>>
Comes to Russia:)
>>
In Russia, you can become anyone . and your girlfriend will be working in a hospital with a salary of 20 thousand and you will be either drunk or you work for the plant engineer with a salary of 30 thousand
>>
Unfortunately, the clumsy translator
>>
>>1166871
There is a metro in LA plus a commuter rail line. Been asleep for twenty years?

https://www.metro.net/

http://metrolinktrains.com/
>>
Pittsburgh continues to rank high on nearly every list out there, affordable scenic high quality of life index. No 1 in us in 2015 and 24 in the world
>>
Pittsburgh is a large city that has two very important factors going for it:
1) real estate prices comparatively lower than other cities its size
2) a higher percentage of white people than other cities its size
>>
>>1168125
NYC is only 33% white and is the most sought after city in the country.

Philadelphia is way less white than Pittsburgh and seems like the better city ofr sure.
>>
>>1165496
You'd probably like boston, or one of the suburbs. Especially on the north shore where you're close to VT NH ME

software and nursing are good. NYC should make you competitive enough.
>>
>>1168413
Philly resident here, Philly is a dump compared to Pittsburgh
>>
>>1168125
Also more older people above 60.
>>
You should come to Southern California San Diego or some area in the desert, areas in Arizona and all of the south are really cheap but have smaller populations
>>
>>1169152
I'm pretty sure I would like Philly more.
>>
>>1168413
Philly fucking sucks. It's dirty, dangerous, and filled with bitter, shitty people. On an individual level, you can make great friends, but on the whole, most people here are complete scumbags in one way or another.
>>
>>1165496
Little Late to the Game and I'm surprised no one has mentioned it.

It's not the biggest of Cities and but it's definitely Homey finding the right people but I would recommend Salt Lake City in Utah. I lived there for 7 years before I moved to my Childhood home to clear some Mental Problems. I'll probably move back. All the Good Cities are relatively close. Housing COULD be a bit pricey, but I always managed good deals so I'm not entirely sure. Beautiful Falls, Chilly Winters, Warm Springs, and plenty of Mountains, Rivers, and Camping in the Summer. Any Hobby I wanted to pick up (And I have a lot of them) I was able to find a Community Easier than a whore. Plenty of Hospitals for your Girlfriend, and lots of businesses are growing in Utah that could use a Software Engineer.
>>
>>1170532
Philly is fucking awesome
>>
What's the cheapest US city to live in with at least 500k people?
>>
If it were me, I would think about how I am going to spend my off time. If you like or want to learn snowboarding, go to Denver, if you want to surf go to L.A., if you just want a huge cultural change, Miami or New Orleans. If you are into people watching and tons of activities go to Vegas or Orlando. The point being, what do you want to get out of this move.
>>
>>1170564
Look into Midwest . St.louis is a cool city, outsiders or people who visit and only go to the arch or downtown miss out on what the city actually is, great neighborhoods. Nb4 all the hate on Midwest cities or stl, I have done a lot of us travel and lived in other cities, I still rank stl as a cool place to be if ur looking for affordability, history, culture, entertainment/food
>>
Everyone is probably going to shit on my response, but maybe consider Chicago.

I have quite a few friends who moved here from New York City and prefer Chicago because it's basically a smaller, cheaper, cleaner, more manageable version of NYC. Chicago is the 3rd biggest city in the country (after NYC and LA), so it still feels like a world class city, with stuff to do and competitive salaries, with minimal downsides (statistically it's more dangerous than NYC, but you will never go to the bad parts of the city, so it doesn't matter).

But if you're looking for something totally different, like warm weather and mountains, then don't come here.
>>
File: winter warlock.jpg (39KB, 640x480px) Image search: [Google]
winter warlock.jpg
39KB, 640x480px
>>1170939
>maybe consider Chicago.

Chicago would be a wonderful place to live if it were 200 miles south.
>>
>>1170564
Charlotte
>>
>>1170728
Yep. Go to the north side. Chevy Chase loved it.
>>
>>1171851
u ever been to the north side?
funny how much things have changed since the 80's. How many neighborhoods, cities, and areas of cities have done complete 180s since the 1980's, areas deemed shit turn to hot spots.
Thread posts: 39
Thread images: 2

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.