[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

I see most of "occasional solo travelers" are between

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 122
Thread images: 8

File: hng4.jpg (15KB, 320x240px) Image search: [Google]
hng4.jpg
15KB, 320x240px
I see most of "occasional solo travelers" are between ages 20-26 and I was wondering at what age does it stop to become hip to be a solo traveler who travels around the world and just turns into creepy?
I'm 29 and always dreamt of being one of those but will it look weird and I won't be able to connect to any fellow travelers due to big age gap.
When does "a young soul wanting to explore the world" becomes to "an old failure can't find himself"
>>
It's good as long as you feel it's good. Has nothing to do with old failure who cant find himself or anything. Who gives a shit anyway? Do what makes you happy and find like-minded people.
>>
>>1165050
Why don't you just lie about your age when people ask if it makes you feel better about yourself?
>>
>>1165050
Older you get, more of ur salary you spend on beers for poor college kids. Stop going after women more than 3 years below your age.

I'll repeat:
Stop going after women more than 3 years below your age.

That's what will make you seem creepy.
>>
>>1165089
I agree with this guy about the women; otherwise, fuck anybody who's judgmental about age.
I respect older travelers because they were alive to see a more colorful world than I'll ever see. And they've just plain seen more shit.
>>
Most solo travelers I met out in the world are 30s. Also, travelers in their 40s and 50s and 60 are probably even more common, but they don't flap their mouth about it all day so you probably don't notice.
>>
>>1165050
At 29 you might feel a bit old staying in West European party hostels but outside that scene it's far from unusual. Often older people are more interesting to talk to since they have different experiences to backpackers in their early 20s who haven't seen much of life. The fact that you are concerned about appearing creepy/out of place means you probably won't be in actuality, as long as you don't:
>Try way too hard to act young or 'out-do' younger people in partying
>Brag about how much of a big shot you are back home
>Go after women way younger than yourself
>Rant about political issues
>Complain about local culture all the time
Then you'll be fine.
>>
>>1165089
>3 years below your age is creepy

Jesus christ.

Have you even heard of the divide by two and add 7 rule? 3 years is nothing.
>>
>>1165089
>women more than 3 years below your age.
this is a shit number for a ~30yo male
>>
>>1165114
Those are the breaks. I mean, you can still fuck down if you find a willing girl, it's not against the law, but youngn's gonna call ya creepy behind your back, which is what OP asked about.

>>1165111
There's a "decay" on that. It gets warpedas you go up. Besides, if someone calls you creepy what are you gonna do? Whip out a notebook and be like "Nuh-uh cuz my math says so! Look!"
>>
>>1165138
>youngn's gonna call ya creepy behind your back

Who gives a shit what young people say or think? They're retards.
>>
>>1165089
25 and dating an 18 year old here.

This guy is nuts and is just pissed that people like you get all the cuties at hostels when he doesn't get laid.
>>
>>1165050

> an old failure that can't find himself

If that's how you see it, if that's how you'd envision yourself to be, then you've failed before you've already begun. I appologize for the ant-sized picture - but take a look at this man right here.

This.

This is how you not only don't come across as 'creepy' or 'an old failure' - this is how you are perpetually the most awesome individual in every situation. Your actual age isn't relevent. So, so much of it is just straight up your _attitude_. You think people WOULDN'T want to hang out with this guy?

Put it another way - would _you_ want to hang out with someone like this? Ultimately, age has nothing to do with how cool someone is.
>>
Sometimes when I read threads like these I have to question how much people on this board actually travel

It's fine to travel solo at any age. People generally only find creepy people creepy
>>
>>1165050
Why do you give a shit about what people think? I'm 28 and I solo travel anywhere without giving a single fuck (literally and figuratively).
It baffles me how westerners are so concerned with age. Just do anything you like no matter your age, as long as you're not bothering other people.
>>
the only time age becomes an issue is if you're a 45+ solo male in south east Asia, then people just assume you're there for the yung-pu$$y, which you probably are.

I partied around Western Europe last year, (Portugal/Spain/Andorra/France) and I met people of all ages, it's super easy to hang out with people, most of the hostels I stayed at throughout Spain actually organised bar crawls and shit for like €15 or whatever, it was pretty sweet.

The only downside I've ever really encountered on a social level is that I'm a 25 year old British lad, I've had a lot of people assume I'm a heavy drinker and a fight-starter, Aussies and Canucks are generally sound as fuck, but other nationalities, especially Americans and Northern Europeans generally treat me with a little caution at first, until they find out I'm a big softie.
>>
lmao so many cucked burgers here coming up with formulas n shit about having sex

OP, it has already been explained, as long as you keep the mood of your surroundings fresh, age is completely irrelevant

society norms are almost always irrelevant as long as youre not public and flamboyant about it when travelling

fuck legal and illegal as long as there is consent and do legal and illegal shit as long as you aint hurting nobody

you dont want to have life regrets because of what 'society' or some mong on a persian rock engraving board has said its okay
>>
File: 1291103219677.png (23KB, 215x223px) Image search: [Google]
1291103219677.png
23KB, 215x223px
>>1165264
This guy get it.
>>
>>1165050
It's not creepy but those early 20s are mostly boring and stupid as fuck
Source:
Been backpacking Australia from 28 to 30
>>
File: 1410023582136.jpg (57KB, 360x360px) Image search: [Google]
1410023582136.jpg
57KB, 360x360px
>>1165150

>29 year old guy with 25 year old gf is "creepy"

What are you smoking?
Do you have a heart attack when some CEO in his 60s has a date with a 23 year old?
>>
By 29 you should know that the word creep is a bullshit word girls use to when vocabulary fails.

You either are or you aren't and you can't do anything to change it. Just live your life and don't do anything men would consider creepy and you're set.
>>
>>1165287
He's looking for women to fuck not to engage in deep philosophical discussion you autist.

All she has to be is fuckable to be fucked.
>>
>>1165089
>Don't try to have sex with attractive young girls, prefer old dried up hags

It's only creepy when you do it.
>>
>>1165138
>Implying men don't envy 40 yo men dating 22 yo supermodels

Here's a tip: The only people who yell "creep" are roasties like yourself
>>
>>1166073
As someone who turns 40 in a few months and enjoys dating attractive college-aged girls, I approve of this post.
>>
Hey OP, I started a 1+ year RTW at 30, now 31. Was super worried about this and asked the same question on this board beforehand too.

My experience: it's very rarely mattered. People are dramatically more open to connecting with people of other ages and backgrounds while backpacking. Unless you're in a party hostel or out clubbing with people you just won't even think about it.

The other thing is that, despite the image, in most of the world mid-late 20s is actually the norm for backpacking, NOT the college kids. College kids tend to cluster around the party scenes and in Western Europe. In Asia/Africa I was usually only a few years older than the average age, and at that point you won't notice.

But DESU after a while I've gotten bored of the hostel life and spend most of my time in AirBnBs or cheap hotels, hanging out with the local girls that I meet on tinder and such. It's a much cooler experience and a much better view into the culture IMO. And as a western guy at your age you're super-desirable to some seriously hot women around the world.

>>1165089
Total bullshit. Don't start aggressively hitting on much younger girls, sure, but I had lots of good experiences with early 20s girls when they were showing clear signs of interest.

>>1165287
Truth
>>
>>1165050

you only become the creep when you believe societies bull shit that u have to settle down and do blah blah blah! live your life the way u want , travel doesnt matter how old you are just do you!
>>
>>1165050
I dunno about "creep" behavior from a female who is an older traveler. I think you are more thinking you are not using your time wisely, like people might wonder if you are a "loser"...is that it? If you worry about being judged as someone who is being aimless, when your peers are working, having families, pursuing higher education, you know, upwardly mobile. If that is your fear, then maybe you have delayed some of your true goals that lead to your self-esteem at the stranger questions of "what do you do for a living?" and then you have the underwhelming nothing, but you're not rich enough to be idle, so, hrm, loser? Then, just get your life on a track that makes you proud again. There's nothing, however, wrong with taking some time off to recuperate from a failed relationship, a lack of direction, recovery from an illness or loss of a family member, etc. Just set a time limit on it before you reach loser status. When asked about yourself, you're enrolled for the Fall/Winter, but you are just enjoying some time to yourself and/or getting in shape and/or writing a book (you could you know).

Good luck anon. Also, you can always lie about your age. Women aren't supposed to tell anyway.
>>
>>1165050
No one will care because you will never see them again after you all hang out for a good night. There was a 28 year old from Colorado in my Montreal hostel group when I was in the city 2 months ago and we were in a big, international group. No one gave a shit that he and this other Frenchie were the oldest in the group because we were all having a good time. The youngest was a 19 year old girl from Germany and she was fine with older people because, like I said, no one cares.
>>
>>1165050
No one cares about your again while traveling because everyone wants to have fun
>>
If you consider yourself a creep, then you are probably one.
Traveling solo can be much more fun than with someone, but it depends where you go. Some countries I wouldn't go solo.

At 29, you ought not to be concerned with what the world thinks of you.
>>
that depends anon

how much money do you have?

over the summer some old ass dude in his 50's came up to me, he was a marine back in his day and say my ink so he decided to talk to me. He was divorced umpteen times and was a corporate type dude on a break from work. Told me he'd been traveling for almost 1 year exactly. He was draped in cash and payed my tab so in my book he was legit as fuck. According to him he had no problems getting snizz but I guess that has to be taken with a grain of salt.
>>
>>1166694
saw my*. shit nigga im drunk.
>>
>>1165050
http://www.hypnosisdownloads.com/help-center/about-us

Download some anxiety and social anxiety scripts and how to "relax with confidence". Now imagine having to be alone in large foreign cities without a choice. I started using self-hypnosis scripts and now can function without giving a care about "what people think"
>>
>>1166666
The quint has spoken
>>
As a prime candidate of the 20-26 year olds (23) demographic, I can tell you no gives a shit about your age . If your easy going, you are easy going. If your creepy, you are creepy. If your lost with no ambitions, you are a loser.

I met a guy in his 60s at a music festival and absolutely no one thought he was a tosser or creepy despite he pulling left and right. It's all how you act.

Simple isn't it?
>>
>>1165050
It's definitely creepy after 30, if you can do it while still being late 20s it's ok.

Most youth hostel cards etc. end at 26, so being 26-29 is already a bit weird, but 30 is the absolute cutoff where you're only really supposed to travel with your wife.
>>
>>1165050
I'm 35. I look like I'm in my late 20's. (No, really.)

I still go to hostels, because I want to save money. I'm barely there, other than to sleep.

I chat up my roommates when they're there. That's about it. No big deal. I never felt weird.

I no longer participate in hostel activities. I think I'm doing it OK.
>>
I'm 20 solo travelling and for the most part solo travellers in their early 30's are totally cool, you're more likely to be seen as creepy if you act creepily though and you won't get away with being a bit seedy like someone in their 20's. Just don't be one of those dudes who talks about trying to get pussy all the time or hits on 19 year olds and you'll fit right in
>>
I was 24 from the ages 24-33. As long as you aren't balding and are in good shape nobody will ever know.
>>
This is me. >>1168052
>>1168836
>>1168849
I agree with these completely. And I'm grateful that I'm lucky enough to get away with it. When I was in my early and mid 20's, I never would have been able to afford the travel I can now, so it's nice that I can experience it at least a little.
>>
People normally travel after they finish university and before 'real life' starts. I think that's why you see a lot of younger people. You know most people say things like "Well, do it now, while your young, while you can, before you settle down."

I wouldn't really worry about it, because you'll always find people to connect with. Like, you should live your life how you want, and it never really becomes creepy or anything.

There would be loads more people of all ages travelling, but most of them feel stuck living the lives that they've built, or they can't up and leave because they've children.
>>
>>1168862
Yep. And I see loads of younger dudes who are the creepy, cringey ones.

>People normally travel after they finish university and before 'real life' starts. I think that's why you see a lot of younger people.

I always envied that. There's no way I would have had the money to do it. I'm not sure how any person just finishing college would be able too. That should be the exact most broke moment of your life, at the end of the lean college years but before starting a decent job. Maybe they use student loan money or their parents help them out.
>>
>>1168870
My thoughts exactly. I've never understood how this is possible. I'm 26 and can jusssst afford to he somewhat comfortable living month to month. Travelling the country (or world) is beyond unfeasible for my income.
>>
>>1168877
>>1168870
Some do it in student loan grants, but most are just rich kids who's parents foot the bill.
>>
>>1165050
Who cares? Literally the only people who judge other people for finding something that makes them happy and doing that thing are miserable pricks with no joy in their life.

Now hear this: fuck those people and their opinion.
>>
>>1168901
>literally the only people who will judge you are all other people lol just be a sociopath who doesn't need human acceptance like all other human beings
Can't you just report Big Bob to the school police for bullying, Timmy?
>>
>>1168877
You have to make it a priority.

Open a savings account. Deposit $25 a week, commit to saving that money, every week, and deposit more as your finances allow. Can't afford that? Move in with your parents. Get a roommate. Won't do that?

Traveling must not be that important to you, then.

Anyway, save for a year, or two, or three, and then just go.

You've got to stop saying things like "I wish" or "someday" or "I'd really like to" or god forbid "when I retire."

There's a huge difference between having a gym membership and going to the gym. Know what I mean?

You can do it. If it's important to you, it's easy. Want to travel? Walk into a bank, today, put $100 into a new savings account, and save every week, then one day, go. That's what I did.

Saved $42K in three years, spent 14 months traveling. Was absolutely worth it.
>>
>>1168903
Not all people judge. Most people don't. The ones that do are easily silenced by doing what you do.

These people only have power over you if you allow them to.
>>
>>1165050
I traveled solo well into my 30s, and never had a problem--it was never a question of trying to 'find myself,' among other things. I found myself a long time ago, and one of the things I found is that I love to travel, including alone.

There are always other people over 30 around the edges of hostels and guesthouses (I was always more guesthouse than hostel, and definitely not party hostel). I always seem to meet adventurous European and Australian women in their 50s and 60s, many traveling solo, some with a partner. All up for a chat at backpacker bars and cafes. I also struck up a lot of conversations with expats.

It's worth pointing out that I've never been hitting on anyone, or cruising too hard for people to party with--I like a couple of beers before bed, but I've got no interest in raging. If I were 35 and trying to get gap year girls into bed, or go out dancing all night with blitzed teenagers, I wouldn't be surprised if I came off as a bit of a creep. But just being a reasonably sociable guy at the bar or cafe served me very well with fellow travelers of all ages.
>>
>>1168953
What if you were cruising for gap year chicks in your thirties? Would you have any success?
>>
>>1165052
/thread
>>
>>1168961
Hard to say. Probably eventually--there is no accounting for taste, I'm not ugly, and I've always been popular enough with women. But I think it's safe to say that only a small minority of the 18-22 set wants to hook up with 30somethings when peers are available.

But the question is totally theoretical for me anyhow--along with now being even older, I'm happily married, don't have much to say to people half my age, and was never big on casual hookups.
>>
>>1168961
Sure, as long as you're on steroids and look like Chris Pratt, you'll have no problems.
>>
>>1165163
>dating a literal child here

good on you bud
>>
>>1168989
>I think it's safe to say that only a small minority of the 18-22 set wants to hook up with 30somethings when peers are available.

You're definitely right. But just to share, I'm 35 (look late 20's) and have found that women in their early and mid-twenties are more attracted to me now than they were when I was at that age myself. So, I've hung with a lot of younger girls, and have felt awkward at times, But I'd rather be getting with them and feeling a little conscious than not getting with them and telling myself how respectable I am.
>>
>>1169012
*a little self-conscious
>>
>>1169012
Not surprising to me--I have a couple of friends in their mid-30s, and even older, who date much younger women (early to mid-20s; teenagers really aren't viable girlfriends once you're a 40something professional who hopes for any respect), and it seems to work for them.
>>
File: 1468208938598.png (98KB, 621x627px) Image search: [Google]
1468208938598.png
98KB, 621x627px
>>1165089
wow, really makes you think
>>
>>1165050
IMO if you're in your 30s and going to SE Asia alone, thatll be deemed creepy.
But elsewhere, as long as you dont seem really out of touch you should be fine.
So no rocking fashions from 10 years ago.
>>
>>1169143
>to SE Asia
Or Eastern Europe, or South America, or Africa, or Western European countries with legalized prostitution.
>>
>>1169164
What about you ask anyone who's been there?
People aren't able to carbon-date you by looking at you. If you look like you come there for travel, wearing practical clothes that aren't too touristy and aren't too self-conscious - you never go wrong with a dress shirt, a T-shirt and jeans in subdued plain colors - you won't stand out.
I live in Denmark, and I have never seen a tourist in his thirties who came off as creepy or sex-touristic to me - because that's entirely independent of age. To be honest, a lot of people in this thread sound like they just entered their twenties and consider people in their thirties an entirely different life form.
If you're an American guy in his mid-forties who hangs around Istedgade looking like he's waiting for something, wearing cargo shorts, a sunhat, a Hawaii shirt over a wifebeater and sandals with socks, sure, you're officially creepy.
But if you're just an average American in his fifties, even if your hair is thinning and a bit greasy, as long as you're wearing civilized clothes and not acting conspicuously, you'll blend right in. Even if you talk to younger tourists, experience has told me that older men are treated very nicely even by backpackers and students as long as they don't act creepy.
You don't get creepy with age, you choose to let your creepiness show in your age.
>>
>>1169206
>>I live in Denmark, and I have never seen a tourist in his thirties who came off as creepy or sex-touristic to me
Who the fuck goes to Denmark for sex tourism? It's the most depressing and expensive country ever, you'd have to be retarded to visit for that reason.
>>
>>1169206
So you admit it's all based on looks?
>>
>>1169207
Tell that to the people who come here for dodgy reasons.
We don't get a lot, but we get some - it's because our sex industry is a lot cleaner and better-regulated than for example the Netherlands' (which also has to do with it being smaller). More or less everyone speaks English, too, and the police are a lot more competent and transparent by leagues than in for example Cambodia or even the Netherlands. We're expensive, yes, but we still seem to attract sex tourists who want safety, ease of communication and a generally less dangerous country.
>>1169208
The first impression is based on looks, and if you fail that one, you're off to a bad start. It's based on how you dress and thus what kind of person you look like and what you look like you came here to do. Your looks have a bit to do with it, but far the most is presentation.
After that comes your behavior, but if your first impression was bad, people might not pick up on what you're trying to say or might just ignore you.
Imagine you're Fugly McThinhair, a short, greasy-scalped British man in his fifties. If you dress in for example an open checkered shirt, a plain white T-shirt, blue jeans and hiking shoes, there's nothing about your appearance that implies you came here for bad reasons. The sense of fashion might be everyone's last resort, but you're not sending any bad signals.
Now imagine you're Pantymelter McCenterfold, 10/10 Italian man in your late twenties. If you dress like a hostel smasher with slicked-back hair, sunglasses, wifebeater showing chest hair, cargo shorts and sneakers, you're going to get a lot more bad reactions than any older or uglier guy.
That's what I've experienced going to daily summer vacation courses in Copenhagen in high tourist season, at least.
>>
>>1169213
>it's because our sex industry is a lot cleaner and better-regulated
How exactly do you let your country to get like that? Literally endorsing selling people through legal and governmental means? Where and when did your nation initially fail to eventually become such degenerates?
>>
>>1169215
Wow, that's a nice strawman.
Our sex industry has literally been hijacked by the prostitutes and the feminists, who protect their rights to earn money on their own bodies. There was a big debate about it about two years back, and the police regulations are to make sure that no one gets forced into it because that's what the state was worried about.
It's literally the prostitutes who kept it legal because they consider it a job. The government considered it some kind of deep philosophical decision that forever sullies you, and tried to forbid it.
As much as I have beef with the other ideas of the feminists who're involved in the decision, this one is the right one in my opinion. You have something that other people want and that doesn't hurt anyone else to sell, you can sell it. The idea of a person's sexuality being something they have no right to administer or be comfortable with is infinitely more oppressive than just allowing them to handle it themselves is.
Now never mind that all the focus was on female prostitutes with male customers, and that male prostitutes are still ignored in the media and relegated to lower wages and more brutal treatment - not everything is perfect.
>>
>>1169221
>sexuality
Humanity, anon. Humanity.
>>
>>1169231
If you insist.
I don't know what can get people to say that lying on your back for a few minutes and thinking of England is equivalent to giving up your humanity, but I guess I just haven't been brought up to believe that morality is objective and people can't make their own decisions without being judged by some cosmic authority.
If a college girl does a quick stint as a prostitute, has five customers and then quits because she's made her money, do you think she'll be a hollow, miserable shell who only knows how to hurt people like some kind of game villain? It really baffles me how far some people are willing to go to treat other people like they're not human, all the while ignoring the fact that they're the ones trying to define what humanity is according to how they themselves act.
If you have sex with your girlfriend, is she giving up her humanity without knowing it? If you have sex with a rich cougar for some drinks and a present, are you no longer human after that night?
I'm not in the mood for a flamewar, but to be honest, that mindset will not result in anything good. Please see a psychologist, because there are so many fucking ways it could go wrong.
>>
>>1169235
>do you think she'll be a hollow, miserable shell who only knows how to hurt people
Yes, she has been forever lost to the void.

>Please see a psychologist
Please read a book.
>>
>>1169012
So you are able to? How bad is it? How many?
>>
I've only ever travelled solo, and at 31, it's not so bad. I mean, it can be really lonely, especially when you see a lot of couples travelling together, but I don't think any has thought bad thoughts about me for being solo. At most they remark that I look much younger, or that I am very quiet.

To be fair though, I am really good at disappearing into the background of any room, so most people don't even know I am there.
>>
>>1166581
>There's nothing, however, wrong with taking some time off to recuperate from a failed relationship, a lack of direction
I'm in this exact spot, 26 but decided what I want to do only a few months ago since I don't care about meaningless jobs anymore, but have to save quite a bit of money because I have to get a degree first. But would still like to get to see places before I head back to college, and I feel I'm already late when my peers are finishing their education and making use of it already. Not to fuck some girls (although wouldn't shirk from it), just go around the world's wilder places, see where my limits are and such. If I don't do it now I know I won't be at peace, but if I do it now, I'm setting back my "career plans" for at least another two or three years.
Any input is welcome.
>>
>>1169464
Depends on what you want more. If traveling means so much to you that you don't mind working shit jobs for the rest of your life, do that.

On the other hand, you might go to college and do everything right and still not find a good job....
>>
File: 4vSGoU3.gif (1MB, 400x300px) Image search: [Google]
4vSGoU3.gif
1MB, 400x300px
I am in my 40s and usually date women in their 20s.
The only ones who get the cry face are young men who get beat out.
>>
>>1169623

girls that date guys in their 40s usually have daddy issues, not something to brag about
>>
File: 200_s.gif (44KB, 300x200px) Image search: [Google]
200_s.gif
44KB, 300x200px
>>1169649
Nearly all women are attracted to older men.
This is evolution at work. The leader of a small tribe was usually older and probably smarter than the others and therefor more genetically fit. These older guys usually fathered more than their share of the children.
Women that were attracted to older more powerful men, ended up obtaining better genetic material for their offspring helping to ensure their survival.
>>
>>1169602
Not in the way to travel always. What I mean is, take this opportunity while I'm still young and not in relationship and carry the experience with me, or do it afterwards.
The only con to doing it now is that, as mentioned, I'm in quite a lag behind others already, while postponing it for later is obviously unpredictable as to what may or (hopefully) may not happen down the road, and the wanderlust that has only grown during the years which may interfere with the focus on career.
>>
>>1169653

fuck off autist
>>
>>1169693
>xir ignores the teachings of evolution, biostatistics and social psychology
Butthurt sociology postdoc working at Starbucks detected
>>
>>1169698
I think its more likely that anon lost a girl to an older man and is still bitter.
>>
>>1165050
29 isn't even old.

I'm 28 and 18 year old girls still hit on me. Girls love older guys in their late 20's. Stop being so self concious

>>1165089
wow what a fag
>>
62 yo here. travel solo lots, even when others want to come with me. I don't like having to please other people s wants. I go where I want and stay as long as I want and don't have to answer to anybody.
Oh... and I don't give a shit if anyone thinks its "creepy" or "weird". I go alone because I'm strong enough to stand alone.
>>
>>1169407
I am able to. How bad is it? It's not bad, it's good. Although you'll have less things in common, obviously. Little things, like what cartoons you watched when you were kids and shit like that. One time it was a little awkward when I was 33 dating a 23 year old. She looked even younger than she was and is also very short. Didn't stop me from going out and doing things with her, though.

How many? Lost count. My girlfriend now just turned 27. As a couple, we really look around the same age. No big deal.
>>
Going on a big backpacker trip next year, will be 23.

Will it still be easy to get those sweet 18yo hookups i want, or will i be too old as it gets harder and harder with each year?
>>
>>1170953
You still have time. Make the most of it.

Just don't be a try-hard. That goes for any age.
>>
>Caring what other people think and making them decide how you live your life
If you 30 and wanna travel solo, why not do it?
Let's say that even if someone finds you creepy, who cares? You won't see them ever again anyway
What's the alternative? Finding someone to travel with even though you'd rather be alone?
>>
Been solo traveling Japan for the past 2 weeks as a 30 year old. It's been hard at times, dealing with the loneliness. Dealing with what seems like nobody wanting to be near you.

On the train, nobody wants to sit next to me. I sit in the lounge area of my onsen, reading a book, and people will show up and then turn around. Only 2 people have attempted to talk to me so far during this trip, and both time were other Americans in an elevator asking where I was from.

I think something is wrong with me. I'm not ugly, I don't smell. It's just like I disappear into the background, or people don't wanna be near me.

To be fair, I guess I havent made much effort to talk to anyone, other than a few times.

I suppose the point if this blogpost is to let other older than college aged anons know, that solotravel is what you make of it. Gotta put yourself out there, without being a creep about it.
>>
>>1171024
Are you staying in hostels? That's like the only way to meet other people on travels.
>>
>>1170953
>23
>too old
if anything you're too young to be interesting
>>
>>1171061
I stayed in one, but I hated every minute of it. It was nothing but smelly European backpackers, loud snorers, and people who I really had nothing in common with.

Like I said, its mostly my own fault, but at 30, I have no real interest in dealing with college aged euros. They are loud, rude, and mostly dumb.
>>
>>1171024
are you an autist or something?

I've literally never run into this, and I'm your age

>>1171291
>smelly europeans
kek. wut?

europeans are pretentious and not as smart as they think they are, but they've never been anything but friendly to me.

maybe you're just working through a personal crisis anon. I've had that on a trip before, but I was self aware enough to not project it onto my surroundings.

you want some help? I wouldn't mind. I'm about to take a trip and I want to talk myself through it a bit.
>>
>>1171296
Most of the ones I have met so far have smelled horribly, or acted pretentious to the point of being intolerable. For someone quiet and reserved, like me, it can be very off-putting.

But, sure, help is welcomed.
>>
>>1171298
eh, I'm an amerifat. there are things I hate about americans, but things I love about them compared to euros. and vice versa.

they're generally pretty bad at critical thinking, but they have more cultural wisdom in terms of how to live a fulfilling life. americans are too coldly rational sometimes (despite being stupid, we're still cynical and calculating.) there are benefits and negatives to both. altough both of our continents are falling apart, so it's hard to feel superior.

sure, so, what's your issue?

are you just lonely? why aren't you engaging with people?

I'm not saying I always enjoy people I am very different from, but that's one of the joys of travel, because you are often forced to do so, with surprising results.

often, when I am abroad, I have as much fun meeting people from europe as I do adventuring in sandniggerstan or whatever country I'm in.

are you just having a 30 year old crisis? I already have. travel isn't going to fix that.

but maybe I'm rambling. what's the issue?
>>
>>1171062
eh. people achieve different things at different life stages.

there are some things, some realizations, and some cultural knowledge he will gain at a younger age that he won't EVER understand even if he tries once he's older. experience and wisdom closes as many doors as it opens, and people slowly become set in their ways.

I think 23 is a good age. he's not hardened yet, but he's likely as smart as he's ever going to get, so if there's something he's seeking, that is the age to find it

people who travel young tend to get desensitized to the wonders of foreignness and then become jaded or rose tinted. old people tend to be inflexible and incapable of learning.

just my 2c
>>
>>1171300
I dunno. Just have spent very long time being alone, and its what I know, so I typically don't approach people, and am very reluctant to warm up to them. People typically like me, and find me funny and honest, but I'm not quick to interact with anyone.

You just see a lot of couple traveling, or people who easily.talk to others, and you sorta want that, but still desire your ability to do what you want, when you want.
>>
I travel solo and meet people in their 30s all the time.
>>
>>1171303
how long/how many trips have you gone on?

you can't rationally maximize everything in your life

after my 2nd major trip I decided that doing 'what I want when I want' was overrated

the largest meal isn't the best and the best job isn't the one with the highest pay. trying to 'gorge' yourself on tourism isn't going to work either, or any other 'good' thing that enhances your life, gorging isnt going to work

personally, all my happiest memories were the result of complete accidents. they were always, ALWAYS relatively simple things. healthy social context, unpredictability, and meaning are all constructed beyond aour ability to control

personally, I try to aim for a good balance between the order/morals/slow life I desire, and enough variability to make things interesting.

old men go too far one way, and are dead inside, and young kids go too far the other way and lose sight of their goals, which is why they're stupid. I lean a lot towards the former, but lately my search for 'meaning' whatever that means, has led me to conclude that no matter how hard I try, I can't put something perfect together for myself

having the perfect job, in the perfect place, around the perfect people, I ended up less happy than when things were 'dumb and random.'

all I can really do is put myself in a healthy environment, and let things develop naturally, whether that be friendships or otherwise. and trust me, all my life I've tried very hard to make things perfect, and it's worked to a large degree for almost everything except my happiness.

maybe I'm just talking to myself about my own problems, so feel free to ignore this. I grapple with it myself, but every time I end up turning too much towards that end of myself that tries to maximize things, I end up miserable, even if it's logical and successful.

anyway, maybe this is just me, but I've noticed my other friends grappling with tis one by one as they slowly phased into their 30s. they're just not very articulat
>>
>>1165050
I got autism trying to understand what you meant
and realised how dumb and self conscious op really is
>>
>>1165052
this guy gets it i feel like op is too worried about what imaginary people think of him
>>
>>1165163
Noice, not even meming, just happy for ya
>>
>>1171321

Man, that actually makes sense. I just returned from a long trip during which I spent a year in a big city. I quit my job before that, sold most of my shit and went off. Like a true post-modern hedonist I did whatever I wanted whenever I wanted. It's the temporary environment that made me feel content. It wasn't about living life to the fullest, or maximizing as you call it, it was just random, simple and easy.

Right now I have my old job back, a nice apartment, I'm seeing my friends and family again, more money than I actually need so it's all good, but fuck I feel miserable.

Anyway, OP: fuck other people's opinions. As long as you're not hurting anyone or being a cunt in general you'll be fine. It's a human tendency to worry about the opinions of other people whilst they in reality don't give a flying fuck.

srry 4 crappy english
>>
>>1165089
>this assmad because those of us in our mid to late 30s can consistently pick up 18 year old qts because of our looks and presumed wallet size
Calm down kid, your time will come.
>>
File: how-do-you-do-fellow-kids.jpg (64KB, 777x440px) Image search: [Google]
how-do-you-do-fellow-kids.jpg
64KB, 777x440px
>>1165050

You can travel at any age. I been traveling since Is was 19 and I continue to do so into my 30's. I meet people of all ages. However, many of the older travelers don't have blogs or twitter. So, we tent to hear less from them.

Also, the older folks are more experience, and usually they have useful advice. Or at least they will know of a few hidden gems.
>>
>>1165089
3 years? no way that is a narrow gap, mayb 5 if shes at least 21.
>>
I feel like its less common to find 35+ but on my travles ive met some solo people in their late 40's and probably 50's

29 is fine, probably a better time to go traveling as you have some money behind you.

just be friendly and you will make friends, your going to meet dick heads, but it will only be for a bit before you move on so fuck thows guys! and enjoy your trip
>>
I went to costa rica by myself when I was 42 and met super cool people who I am still friends with. break the chains of age. just do what ever the fuck you want and enjoy life because we are all going to die someday.
>>
>>1165050
what are your doubts about travelling? do you want to travel or not? thats the onlye quiestion that matters, you kinda come across like a pussy
>>
First time solo travelling last year aged 33. Most people I met were way younger, early 20s but it really didn't matter that much. No one gives a shit. I shared a bungalow with 4 20-21 year olds and no one even asked my age.

Admittedly I feel too old for bar crawls and all that nonsense now. But I still met loads of people in bars at night and also fucked 3 girls aged 19- 22 so...go for it
>>
>>1165050
Don't bring it up and just lie about your age to the people you will never meet again. Nobody can really tell the difference between a 29 year old and a 26 year old.
>>
>>1173111
this

just do it
>>
>>1165050

depends on how attractive you are desu
>>
>>1165050
Bro, I know people who are 50 years old who are in good shape but look old. Yet they still club and party like it's no ones business. They party with the young crowd too. The trick is that they're there to party and have a good time and not to hit on girls who are 30 years younger than them and not giving a fuck about other people.

The instant you think you look "creepy" is when you already lost. You have to not give a fuck about what other people think and there are a fuck ton of people who are like minded like you.

...You're thinking way too much into it.
>>
>>1171024
Memeing the memers!
plz stop
>>
>>1168906
DO IT!
JUST DO IT!
[spoiler]Solid advice thou.[/spoiler]
>>
>>1171321
I'm not sure where you got any of this from what I said.

I just don't like my trips to have to take other people into consideration. If I wanna get up at 5am and walk to a shrine, I don't want to have to consider what the other people I am traveling with want to do.
>>
Who the hell thinks 29 is old these days?

I think even shit like barhopping is acceptable until at least 35
>>
>>1169693
its literally true though.
Status plays a role too.

Because someone who is older who travels a lot implies he has his shit together, is cultured, adventurous etc.
All of which are attractive traits, being older just implies more experience.
>>
>>1165089
opinionated twenty-something detected

I say this as an opinionated twenty-something
>>
>>1168849
shaved head and good shape is acceptable too
>>
>>1168849
>>1173970

oh wait, you're talking about lying about your age, nvm
>>
>>1165050
You are never too old to solo travel.
Who gives a fuck how old you are?
/thread
Thread posts: 122
Thread images: 8

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.