[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

i noticed that "eastern europe" is becoming more popular

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 58
Thread images: 4

File: 10-days-in-Slovenia-luxury-tour.jpg (289KB, 1200x600px) Image search: [Google]
10-days-in-Slovenia-luxury-tour.jpg
289KB, 1200x600px
i noticed that "eastern europe" is becoming more popular here and everyone is raving over krakow, prague, katowice...etc

but i've never even seen my country mentioned at all, even though its the closest by development to "western europe".
so what gives, are we just bad at advertising or is there just nothing to do here? most videos i see of tourist say they are having a grand old time
>>
File: 6fd98c0400.jpg (106KB, 800x519px) Image search: [Google]
6fd98c0400.jpg
106KB, 800x519px
i guess the question im asking is, have you ever even heard of slovenia and/or thought of coming here?
>>
>>1164459
Brazilian here. I've been in Ljubljana in 2005 and I regret not have stayed there more (and stayed less in Zagreb)
>>
>>1164459
Since when has Eastern Europe become popular on here? Europe in general is a pretty unpopular topic on this board
>>
File: slo.jpg (54KB, 650x465px) Image search: [Google]
slo.jpg
54KB, 650x465px
>>1164460
Heard about it, it comes up when differentiating with Slovakia. Other than Anze Kopitar and Melania Trump can't think of anyone from there.

It's a 'young' and small country so don't expect to get brought up a bunch. Ljubljana is pretty small, people going for clubbing are more likely to go to bigger cities.

This board has a younger travel crowd. For most countries people debate over what cities to go to instead of landscapes. I'm from Canada and it mostly comes up in a Toronto vs Montreal thread, and not what the other 99% of the landmass. A lot of traveling here is buy a ticket for a city in a country, and then buy a ticket for a different city in a different country.

I'd go, but not specifically for Slovenia, and more of the area as a whole.

>>1164469
Ukraine is mentioned a lot for cheap cost of living. It's often brought up how eastern architecture rivals western, without as many touts and immigrants.

Some posts about going to resorts on the The Tyrrhenian or Black sea instead of a more common Spanish one.
>>
>>1164459
>raving over katowice
What.
What is there even to rave about?
>>
I have friends that make fun of me because I say Ljubljana is one of the places I most want to visit. I heard about it in a travel article once and after doing some research it looks gorgeous. I'm acrually hoping that it doesn't turn into a tourist trap before I can visit. But do you have recs on what to do there? I was initially just drawn to the beauty. It seems like a great place to eat and hike.
>>
>>1164460
actually plan on motorcycling around there, but that's far in the future, have to graduate first
>>
I think Slovenia in particular is a bit unlucky for being squished between Italy, Croatia and (to a lesser extent) Austria.

Don't get me wrong, I enjoyed my entire stay there. But it doesn't have an attraction like Vienna, Venice or Split/Dubrovnik and so it tends to get overlooked. Which might be positive. Maybe in 15 years Piran (lel) will get hyped as the next huge tourist destination.
>>
>>1164459
I've been trying to get my family to have their reunion there. Not with much success most people want Spain or Italy. Please tell me something to convince them!
>>
>>1164487
katowice and krakow are seen as the "modern" polish cities, probably because they both host esports events
>>
>>1164493
>But do you have recs on what to do there?
well apart from the usual castle - triple bridge- dragon bridge stuff you can go to the escape room , museums, tivoli park has an outdoor gallery, fridays the main market has an open kitchen with all the city restaurants. you can also check some "authentic" slovenian restaurants, metelkova is a hippy squat artsy street where a lot of partis also happen, the main museum is free,on sundays the center has a huge flea market...
but mostly its just a city you explore and enjoy the ambiance
>>1164499
>Please tell me something to convince them!
dear family of anon, if you want to have a reunion surrounded by the most beautiful scenery,fresh foods and cheaper prices than italy or tourism ridden spain, come to slovenia.
slovenia is also surpassing both spain and italy in human development and social progress
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Human_Development_Index
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_countries_by_Social_Progress_Index
and its also one of the top 5 greenest countries on earth
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Environmental_Performance_Index
hope that convinces them
>>
Pretty sure it's becoming more popular in part because a lot of those countries don't accept a lot of non European immigrants.

inb4 pol, people don't travel to Japan to see south Americans eveeywhere.
>>
>>1164502
>Katowice
>Modern
Now I've heard everything. It's mostly just commieblocks, industry and mines.
>>
>>1164594
are you native polish because ive never seen anyone besides westerners moan about commieblocks

commieblocks make room for trees and parks
>>
>>1164459
None of those places are eastern europe.
>>
>>1164532
it's true tho
>>
>>1164870
uh,krakow and katowice certainly are, they are in poland
>>
Slovenia is one of my most favourite countries and I think I've been to around 40 at this point. It's beautiful, clean, and scenic. The people are nice and the population is small enough where everyone is sort of homely.

It's crazy, it was scenic everywhere that I looked when I was there. You could look in any direction and it would be beautiful. The air was so clean and I loved how a lot of people were active. Like, I'd be on a pretty hard hike and some Slovenian walking their dog that morning up a mountain would pass me lol.

I'd live there but there's no work for me and I'm not white so it might not be the easiest (even Serbians get enough shit for living there)
>>
>>1164459
I've been there. Bled was beautiful.
>>
>>1164459
Dutch here. Been there a few times new. First time was in 2008. I absolutely loved it. We've been to Triglav, Bled, Bohinj, Postojna, Skocjan, Piran, Izola, Ljubljana and a lot of places near those. Still looking to spend some time in the east as I haven't been there and in Maribor. But at the same time my wife and I both want to go back to Triglav as well. Absolutely love Slovenia.

Most people I know have no idea what they're missing. They usually just pass through on the way to Croatia.
>>
>>1164459
I do know some family friends who went to Slovenia and had a great time there.
>>
>>1164895
>>1164904
>>1164924
>>1164939
well thanks guys, looks like we're not so obscure after all, maybe people just dont want to mention it too much on 4chan because they want to keep it a "hidden gem"
>>
>>1165003
In the times that I've been there, I've only seen it get busier. But that's mostly just in Bled I think. A lot of people don't get further south.
>>
I'm from Chile and I'd like to go there, specially Bled.
>>
>>1164459
Was in Ljubljana around ten years ago and really enjoyed it. Comfy city. Would like to go back.
>>
>>1164895
>Like, I'd be on a pretty hard hike and some Slovenian walking their dog that morning up a mountain would pass me lol.

kek that's what I do. Kinda giggle to myself when I see people packing a week worth of food on a 3 hour hike lol. It's still nice to see some tourists on hiking routes, makes me appreciate our countryside more
>>
>>1165273
Haha i forgot to add that they'd be doing it in flip flops. And they'd be passing guys in hardcore hiking gear hahaha.

I fucking love your country man.
>>
>>1164459
I actually like our obscurity. I mean, I like to see people travel around and I help them if I can with any directions (since public transport is shit when it comes to notifying people when to get off). I also like to hear their stories and where they're from, but at the same time hope to god it doesn't get popular. I don't want hordes of tourists traipsing around with their flashy cameras, it pisses me off enough when I see a bunch of chinks mass on the bus in Ljubljana and shitting with their food and drinks on the way to Bled and not even bothering to clean their mess up. If you come to Slovenia and you eat on the bus, I and pretty much everyone else will personally strangle you for the inconsiderate prick you are.

To be perfectly blunt, I just want foreigners to leave us the fuck alone. Solo or up to 3 persons are okay imho since they just want genuine sightseeing, but I disdain any group tours since all they manage is to piss me off.
>>
>>1165274
That's great to hear mate, really appreciate it. Only locals are mad enough to go in flip flops, but they usually know the place so they know what they're heading into. It's nothing wrong with strapping every thing you have, it's actually encouraged. Weather can turn to shit post noon quite quickly and I really mean it. Went to Črna prst in the Julian Alps for a quick stroll to get a stamp on top, but I started rather late at around 10am. Was on top around noon, stayed an hour to get some tan and to enjoy the scenery in peace, because for some reason it's not really popular with people. Well when I was ready to leave, it started raining so I had to wait half an hour inside drinking tea till it got better. Seriously, this shit can be dangerous, so pack more instead of less and always have some windstopper and some tshirt for changing. Hiking boots are also a must.

Anyway, since you enjoy hiking, I can give you some tips on what to visit. But more importantly, here is a website you must check.

http://www.hiking-trail.net/

It details every Slovene hiking route (and some neighboring countries' routes too), most of the important routes are also in english, but you could always put some less popular route description into google translate. Every route has a description, estimated time of hiking (which is quite accurate), pictures and difficulty of the route and in slovene version there are usually some comments.
>>
>>1164459
Question, hows the weather there in late october? I was thinking of going there a couple of days after some exams but I don't wanna bring a lot of winter clothes. I'm swedish so temperatures above freezing I consider a chilly summer day.
>>
>>1165283
late october is usually around 10-15 deg, with + /- 5 depending on the weather that day and also where you are staying (this estimate is for ljubljana)
>>
>>1165283
bring a sweater or two, but I reckon you're gonna need an umbrella more than anything
>>
>>1164459
>even though its the closest by development to "western europe".
Which means life is more expensive, drugs are more expensive, and whores are more expensive. The entire point of going to a third world shithole is so you can live like a king on a janitor's salary.
>>
>>1164459
>so what gives, are we just bad at advertising or is there just nothing to do here?

It's just too small and yes, badly adverstised. Which is a shame because Slovenia is BEAUTIFUL. It's an incredible piece of land. But it's a bit expensive though. When you guys switched to euro, you went insane.
>>
Because slovenia is second only to russia in anti-american sentiments
>>
A lot of foreigners go to Slovenia for free uni right?
>>
>>1165557
no not really. i know that was the narrative of Moore's documentary but we dont have legions of foreign students a-knocking.
besides most european countries have college systems similar to ours
>>
>>1164460
Thought about visiting Slovenia while I was living in southern Germany, but never got around to it.
Do you have any recommendation as to what to see?
>>
>>1165663
uh sure, well i recommend hiking to atleast 1 mountain with a good view. lake Bled is of course the no.1 spot for tourists. and one of the big 2 caves (škocjan and postojna).
apart from that its really more about the experience and ambiance than a single thing to see. every city/town has a nice medival center, tons of smaller caves to explore, tons of castles/forts, tons of mountains to hike, every outdoor activity from biking, rafting, skydiving, parashooting, hiking, downhill bmx..etc

personally as a native one of the best experiences ive ever had was bike riding through an abandoned mine in mežica. imagine riding a bike through sheer darkness in a narrow tunnel for 2 hours,its like youre on another planet
>>
>>1165674
That's a whole lot of very physical activities. I'm sort of fat.
Also, do Slovenians speak good english?
>>
>>1165676
>Also, do Slovenians speak good english?
for young people all of them speak english, for people over 40 some may not. most of them will also speak in a strange accent thats similar to russian english
there is a high % of bilingual and trilingual people
>>
File: 1437218032627.jpg (33KB, 480x454px) Image search: [Google]
1437218032627.jpg
33KB, 480x454px
>>1165557
N-no, our university is not free senpai
>>
>>1164460
I'm in slovenia right now and its really fucking nice and a few people have talked about it in my travels through Europe, i think its just that its really small and inconsequential so people dont tend to discuss it that much.
>>
>>1166827
ayyy if youre in ljubljana let get a coffee
>>
>>1166827
have fun being able to walk the streets at night without being shot/raped/mugged or beaten.

I'm serious. Slovenia is one of the safest countries on the planet.
>>
>>1166911
And one of the most boring, soulless and degenerate countries.
>>
>>1165769
You wouldn't post a swastika or SS runes on this board, so why would you post a Pepe meme?
>>
>>1166965
i can understand why people would find it boring, but why soulless and degenerate? we dont lack national identity or pride and we dont have orgies on the streets
>>
>>1167044
>we dont lack national identity or pride and we dont have orgies on the streets
You're the most EU of all Balkan countries, with all the LGBTQZPCSJW+++ it implies, your women are notorious whores, and your men are either gay or fuck cows.
>>
>>1166965
>most boring, soulless and degenerate countries.
>your women are notorious whores, and your men are either gay or fuck cows.

croatian diaspora detected
>>
>You're the most EU of all Balkan countries
only some complete retard would use that as a negative statement.
enjoy your failing economy and declining populace
>>
>>1167049
'
Sounds like a party to me. Cry some more.
>>
>>1166891
Sorry, I left the day i posted this :(
>>
>>1166911
Walked to the bus station at 4 in the morning (fucking shitty ass bus schedules) and didn't feel threatened in the slightest, excellent place
>>
>>1164493
Try Ziferblat cafe too. You don't pay for the coffee, but by the minute. Interesting place.
>>
Its cozy and small (and thats coming from a dutchman) and almost nobody lives here. Ive been there 3 times when i was a young teenager, had a great time. Shit was cheap 10 years ago, cant say how it is now.
>>
>>1164459
>Slovenia
Istria is Italian clay
Gib back
Thread posts: 58
Thread images: 4

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.