[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Hey all, I'm going to be in Minneapolis for a week and

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 6
Thread images: 1

File: minneapolis.jpg (83KB, 550x435px) Image search: [Google]
minneapolis.jpg
83KB, 550x435px
Hey all,

I'm going to be in Minneapolis for a week and I'll be staying right in "downtown west" near the loring greenway according to google maps. I won't have a car, so my only transportation is walking or public.

I don't really do nightlife, but I love going out to eat and seeing sights/scenery/nature stuff.

What's good to do / to eat?

Any parts of town I should avoid?

Any parts of town I should definitely visit?

I hate malls, but is it worth it to go to mall of america just because it's big?

Any good photography opportunities?

Generally a safe city?

Thanks all
>>
Don't go to moa unless you don't mind aggressive amounts of people.

Avoid Brooklyn park north of the city mostly

Probs won't be mugged but tons of Somalians who very well might

Go to institute of art, it's free
>>
You seem like the hipster type. You'll blend right on in...I really need to get out of the city
>>
>>1162083
I live in Minneapolis.
There's lots to do. Go to the institute of art, its free. Nearby visit the swedish american institute, and get lunch there. A pretty neat bistro they have there. that serves nordic food.

Where you're staying is really close to the Walker museum, which has modern art. It's really nice, and on thursday evenings 5pm-8pm entry is free.
There's tons of microbreweries. Lakes & Legends is one in Downtown West. I've never been there but i've heard its decent.

The MOA isn't worth it just cuz its big. It's literally every stereotypical mall experience compressed and amplified. Any mall store you can think of, from Gap to Macy's right down to the dippy cellphone case kiosks run by weird middle easterners. You probably won't like the mall. Although there is an Aquarium at the MOA.

It's kinda fun to walk around the skyway system downtown, especially on a workday. In IDS center you can go to the top of that and get a skyscraper view ( i think) of the city-- costs $$ obvs. Also in IDS there's a donut stand called Bogart's-- fucking amazing donuts. Their store is on 36th St and Bryant Ave, really close to my house.

Parts of town you should avoid? North Mpls i guess... it's the 'hood, although i doubt you'll find any reason to go there.

Public transport is pretty good for a Midwestern city. Buses are reliable, and the Light Rail system is okay, but there's only 2 lines - Blue between the airport and downtown mpls, and Green goes between downtown Mpls, and downtown st paul.
>>
>>1162111
If you like nature stuff there's plenty of that-- kinda "Urban" Nature i guess.

Lake Calhoun, and Lake Harriet, and Lake of the Isles are very close to each other. Next to Lake Harriet there is a big public flower garden, and a big zen garden, which is very nice. Minnehaha Falls is a pretty large waterfall on the other side of town from the afforementioned lakes, and is also near Lake Nokomis. You could check out down by the Mississippi River.
You could go to the U of MN campus, which in the fall is quite pretty. Also the college cuties walking around are nice to look at too. Catch a sports game (Gopher Women's hockey is $5 admission, and the games are just as much fun as a men's game.. seriously)

Downtown you can see the Mill City Museum. I've never been there, but it seems pretty cool. It's an old flour mill that ignited and exploded (literally) and was blown to bits back in the late 1800s or something. Near this museum is the Stone Arch Bridge, a walk/bike bridge that gives some nice photo ops. Then check out the St. Anthony Main neighborhood.

Restaurants? My faves in the city are Brasa (soul-latin food), Unideli/Union Noodles (a ramen counter in an Asian food market), Midtown Global Market (an indoor market with a lot of different food stalls and food options, and also Eastlake Brewery), 112 Eatery (kinda expensive), Eat Street-- Nicollet Ave ( has a lot of asian ethnic restaurants along this street).

The music scene here is quite decent, theres lots of opportunities to see alternative music. If you're into punk/metal/hardcore/industrial or any alt music, check out the record store Extreme Noise, and they can probably point you to any local shows... they have flyers and calendars and stuff in there.

Check out the City Pages for local happenings and such.
>>
>>1162108

Yeah I hate people, maybe I'll just go for dinner at shake shack then leave, just to say I've been.

>>1162110
>going out to eat
>hipster type

Sure thing.

>>1162111

I'm intrigued by the donuts, I'll check it out, thanks.

>>1162114
>zen garden
>global market

Neat. Sounds like the global market might be good for lunch.

Thanks for all your tips.
Thread posts: 6
Thread images: 1

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.