[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Is it possible to hitch rides on cargo ships? Say I show up at

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 8
Thread images: 1

Is it possible to hitch rides on cargo ships? Say I show up at a southern Chinese port and find a ship headed for Australia. Would it be feasible to show up with passport and visa in hand, saying you'd do all the shitty labor like washing dishes and cleaning toilets for a ride to Australia?
>>
>>1161229
Here's your (You). You're not as funny as you think.
>>
I imagine it'd go something like this: I ask for two minutes of the captain's time, and then say "Sir, I'd like to hitch a ride on your ship to [destination] in exchange for free labor. I can cook, clean, and do simple maintenance, and I'm a quick learner. I also have military training. I'll do all the menial labor that yourself and your crew is too preoccupied to do. I'll sleep in a storage room with my own gear, and I'll bring my own food. All I ask for is a briefing on emergency procedures, 8 hours a sleep a night, and a daily shower. Does that sound agreeable to you, sir?"
>>
>>1161232
wew lad, didn't know this was a meme topic on here. I'm serious about it though. I like to travel as frugally as possible.
>>
>>1161235
Then cargo ships are not going to be your solution.

Is it possible some captain would take you on under circumstances you describe? As Eleanor says in The Lion in Winter, "In a world where carpenters get resurrected, anything is possible."

But they have crews on the ship to do all that stuff, and one that would be so sketchy as to do what you describe is going to be -- well -- pretty fucking sketchy.

Some cargo ships do have staterooms and will take passengers. It is an expensive way to travel, and obviously slow, but might be worth doing for the experience. But it won't save you money.
>>
>>1161238
Thanks for the reply. The way you put it makes it so it might be worth to try for a couple of days to hitch a ride, but always keep air travel as the backup plan.
>>
Seriously, people, have you ever been in a port? Do you think you can just waltz onboard a ship and talk to the captain? Both ports and ships are restricted areas, you'll be told to bugger off if you don't have a pass or not on a visitor list.

>>1161234
"Sorry, I cannot take you as a worker because it's prohibited by international law to work aboard without proper qualifications and training. Also, I don't hire my own crew, it's not 19th century anymore. Even though I am able to take you as a passenger, there's absolutely no reason for me to take responsibility for some total stranger."
>>
>>1161266
Thanks for clearing that up, m8. I'll drop the idea then.
Thread posts: 8
Thread images: 1

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.