[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Hi /trv/, My job lets me work remotely. My lease is almost up

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 15
Thread images: 1

File: GP_HongKong.jpg (1MB, 1920x1120px) Image search: [Google]
GP_HongKong.jpg
1MB, 1920x1120px
Hi /trv/,

My job lets me work remotely. My lease is almost up here in the pacific northwest of the US (end of January).

I was thinking of throwing my stuff in storage and working remotely from various asian cities for the better part of 2017 using airbnb. I went to college in Japan and worked there for a few years, so I'd love to head back.

Proposed itinerary

Feb: Japan
Mar: Japan
April: Taiwan
May: Hong Kong

Where else should I consider /trv/?
>>
>>1156863
I assume that you earn a good wage and need a good internet connection. I would go to places like Singapore and Kuala Lumpur for a month each. People rag on Singapore for being boring but it really isn't if you actually live there. Kuala Lumpur is a good mix of modern and wild.
>>
>>1156879
>I assume that you earn a good wage
I do, but frankly the cost of traveling isn't too much more than what i pay now for a place in the US. Most places on airbnb seem to be 1000-1500 USD--less than my rent.

>and need a good internet connection
definitely

>I would go to places like Singapore and Kuala Lumpur for a month each. People rag on Singapore for being boring but it really isn't if you actually live there. Kuala Lumpur is a good mix of modern and wild.
how safe is kuala lumpur?
>>
>>1156886
Not that anno but KL is 100% safe. Also I agree with him on Singapore, it's a good expat city/country. It's hard to give proper advice tho OP. What are you looking for, could you name a few attributes?

I lived in Indonesia for a while, it's insanely hectic but Yogya is a really laid back place. Although the cities you named in your itinerary make me think you might like Jakarta, there's a big expat scene there.

What about China/Korea? Are you also looking for chill out beach places to work from?
>>
>>1156863
What did you study if i might ask.
>>
>>1156928
i studied journalism at a C-rated state school. i was already a strong writer, so I chose something i'd be good at. wrong move. should have done CS or math and challenged myself. plus i graduated in 2007, so the recession kicked my ass.

so i rebranded myself as a tech writer, pieced together contract work for 4-5 years, and found a company that allows people to work remote, due to the specialized complex nature of what we do (security).

so, with no gf, kids, or mortgage, and just a small car payment, i find myself in a situation where i can take my laptop and work anywhere.

so despite the recession, things turned out pretty sweet.
>>
>>1156906
>What are you looking for, could you name a few attributes?
I honestly have no criteria. I need the assurance of safety and an internet connection, basically. I'm even pretty language-savvy (studied japanese for years).

>What about China/Korea? Are you also looking for chill out beach places to work from?
I want night markets and urban excitement. I literally live at the beach right now and am bored as shit. I want to work for 9 hours and then hit the streets.

I do a lot of photography and videography on the side.
>>
>>1156942
Then Jakarta seems like a good place as well. Ho Chi Minh City or Hanoi might be places for you as well. In China you could try Shanghai or Beijing.
>>
>>1156949
How english-friendly is Jarkata, Ho Chi Minh, Hanoi, and Kuala Lumpur?
>>
>>1156906
KL isn't 100% safe. it is pretty safe for SEA though.

I don't think jogja is a good place to work from though. and I think jakarta is fucking awful. I can't imagine anyone wanting to stay for more than a week

>>1156863
I think your itinerary looks good. those are my favorite places in asia, and are probably the best places to work from too.

>>1156954
KL is super english friendly. jakarta is not, but you can get by. ho chi minh and hanoi are not at all, and you will need some basic vietnamese, though lke all places, you can get by with some planning and google translate, it's just more of a pain
>>
>>1156863
oh, just thought I'd add, thailand is a very popular destination for telecommuters and semi-work like drop shipping and the like. I think it's the best place aside from your proposed destinations
>>
>>1156942
I'd say Chiang Mai, Thailand, which has a good expat community.
>>
>>1156958
I don't agree with this anon, especially on Jakarta. You can get by with English easily. It takes zero energy to get into the expat scene there as well since it's a pretty small and outgoing group.

Furthermore never experienced problems in HCM and Hanoi. I never lived in Nam tho, just traveled there for quite a bit.

Also, there's a nice expat scene in Yogya, lots of creative entrepeneurs and it's a chilled and laid back city.

Anon apparently is trying to push KL though. I won't fall back to bashing opinions of others, I'd just say everyone has their own opinion. I think Jakarta is fun, probably because I experienced it long and properly, anon thinks it's not since he probably spend 2 days there.
>>
>>1156962
I'm not pushing KL, except for maybe a long term work period, which anon doesn't seem to be doing. KL is quite a bit safer and more convenient than anywhere in indonesia. but it's also culturally barren.

one of the nice things about KL though is that you can make friends with natives very easily, so you don't NEED an expat community. and that is quite nice.

I actually think OPs intended destinations are better than either though. I'm also the anon that proposed he might like thailand for a short workstay.
>>
>>1156964
I'm glad you called out the fact that KL is barren. I found it boring and lacking spirit. I agree with you that OP already has some good choices. Although I'd still like to re-iterate that Shanghai and Beijing are also nice options, Shanghai probably better since the number of people speaking English is probably higher. In Beijing it's a hype that people want to use a fuckin translator app to get a conversation going it's tiring as shit.
Thread posts: 15
Thread images: 1

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.