[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

What is there to do in Thailand besides Bangkok and Koh Phi Phi?

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 127
Thread images: 20

File: bangkok-grand-palate-6.jpg (128KB, 1024x680px) Image search: [Google]
bangkok-grand-palate-6.jpg
128KB, 1024x680px
What is there to do in Thailand besides Bangkok and Koh Phi Phi? I've looked into a few places but I want some more opinions. Are there less touristy places that are still easy to access?
>>
>>1156505
Isan region is a gem, and rarely talked about here. Udon Thani is the most accessible city in that region, and a good jumping off point for Vientiane, Laos.

Chiang Mai is the 2nd largest city, slower paced and slower paced and more grounded than BOK. Also, Nan, north of there, is nice.

Pattaya is more than sex tourism, think of it like Myrtle Beach or something.

Rayong or Koh Chang for a more relaxed beach experience than Pattaya or the Southern Kohs. Krabi is cool.

One problem with Thailand is once you get too far off the mainstream tourist track the density of English speakers goes way down. But if you have a Thai person or Thai speaker to travel with a whole new world opens up.
>>
I have a related question and don't want to make my own post. Going to Thailand in a couple of months. Wife has been reading the Lonely Planet Thailand book on Kindle. Is that a reliable, up to date, resource? Or old, dated, inaccurate info?
>>
>>1156505
bangkok is pretty cool. there's a actually a lot more cultural wealth in bangkok and thailand in general than you might think.

the thai are basically a southern minority chinese tribe that was driven out of china in waves for a few hundred years. the thais invaded modern thailand and displaced the khmer people into vietnam, cambodia, etc.

a lot of what you see is actually pretty new. the unity that came from the fact that thailand was a diaspora created a bit of a cultural renaissance in the area when other local powers, such as vietnam and malaysia were basically in a baroque stagnation period.

thailand has lots to offer.

>>1156675
can't comment on how up to date that particular guide is. if the data is outdated you can always use wikitravel or a similar site to find reccomended restaurants and hotels.

in cultural terms it's extremely light reading, but that kind of stuff never really becomes oudated. people just slowly realize more about a culture as language barriers break down, so information becomes seen old relative to the new "groundbreaking" view. but there's not really outdated information, just new people who refuse to acknowledge that they bring new biases.
>>
I´d like to go to SEA for two or three weeks. And because everyone says Thailand is good for beginners I´d go there. Thing is I´ve already done a guided tour through the north (a pretty standard one from BKK to Chiang Mai) almost ten years ago with my parents. Even though I don´t remeber that much of it I dont want to go to the same places again.
That leaves me with the south. But from what I´ve read so far the highlights of the south are mostly nice islands and beaches. Even though I like lying on the beach and swimming I also want to visit some temples and shit. Is the southern part also interesting in respect of cultural stuff?
If not, can you recommend another SEA country for an inexperienced traveller? Malaysia also seems fairly easy to travel, but again has propably not that much to offer in terms of culture.
>>
>>1156741
thailand is the best all around. there's a reason it's popular. the culture at some point on the peninsula stops being thai and starts being malayam. imo the most interesting malayam cultures are in indonesia, where the genocide was somewhat less severe. imo I don't find much of interest culturally in southern thailand. the thai people fundamentally fled from southern china and are mostly in the north and gulfs. you should expect to find their new homeland more rich, culturally.

malaysia has good food but their culture is the result of an islamic genocide. it sucks.

indonesia is fun because it's rough around the edges. you can really, actually, still find many out of the way places. a beginner could do it, it's mostly safe. would you enjoy it though?

cambodia and myanmar are even rougher than indonesia. same ideas apply.

philippines has a very friendly culture. but it's dirty. like, fuckng dirty. only place I ever got sick. also, the beaches and food and cities, and transport, and everything, are worse, by a lot. and it never feels exotic. very friendly though.

vietnam is very beginner friendly, but there's NO english, which intimidates people. for some reason people see it as less exotic. no clue why. there's plenty to like about it. it's overall cleaner and safer than anywhere else in the region but thailand. again, no english.
>>
>>1156741
Isan, the NorthEast is a different culture from North and Central Thailand. It's culturally Laos. Has It's own personality. Even music.
>>
>>1156747
>vietnam is very beginner friendly, but there's NO english, which intimidates people. for some reason people see it as less exotic. no clue why. there's plenty to like about it. it's overall cleaner and safer than anywhere else in the region but thailand. again, no english.

With the French colonial aspect and it's history, which led to a lot of Vietnamese immigrants, there's a familiarity to it. An oddness but not exoticness. Many of the same reasons people don't find the Phillipines exotic.
>>
chiang mai is too far away from bangkok. should i really visit there?
>>
>>1156831
It's a short, cheap flight, but I'd say it depends on how long you are in Thailand for, and if this is your first time
>>
>>1156769
you know you're probably right about that. maybe exposure from movies and immigrants too. imo it's plenty exotic. the country basically has four major ethnicities, all with different languages, food, architechture, religions, clothing, etc.

it's definitely not thailand or myanmar in terms of pure visual punch though. hm. thanks for the insight.

>>1156831
the answer is generally yes
>>
>>1156831
I literally just went to both in the last week

Bangkok sucks, CM was much better

If only 1 go to CM
>>
If you have some money, Thailand has some of the best fishing for some of the coolest fish in the world. Also, some great golf courses. I speak no Thai and was able to get around okay. Dollar goes far, so that is always good.
>>
>>1156940
i think bangkok sucks too. i mean probably 2 weeks later i feel like "bangkok was great" but now i still feel of the bad weather and shitty smells of streets.

anyone can suggest clean beach near pattaya? i looked rayong but looks weard. (i know near islands but they are expensive)
>>
>>1156974
Where would I go for some fishing?
>>
>>1157026
Ocean.
>>
>>1157026
There is wild fishing, and fishing in ponds that are designed for that. You can go to the ponds by taxi and rent a rod and pay a small fee. However, if you have the funds to hire a guide, they can pick you up, provide all gear, lunch, and deliver you back at the end of the day. Different ponds have different types of fish, so you need to know if you would like to try for redtail catfish, Mekong catfish, or something else, they can make sure you go to the right place, and they know the secrets of fishing there. Prices range from maybe 50 to 150 dollars, depending on the park and the distance to travel. I used a guy you can look up, he goes by BKK Guy, named John and speaks English as well as Chinese and Thai, maybe more.
>>
There is deep sea fishing as well, and I went one day out of Jontiem Beach, near Pattaya. We did not do very well, and I could not recommend it. I should have mentioned, many of those fresh water fish are huge, over a hundred pounds.
>>
I will be in Bangkok from December 30th to January 4th.

Is it better to celebrate NYE in Bangkok or Pattaya? I plan on visiting Pattaya for at least one night anyway.
>>
>>1157026
>>1156974
Here's some pics from Ratchaburi RIver
>>
>>
The fish were caught with nets, but she handles a pole quite well, also
>>
>>1157296
She didn't want to hold that fish
>>
File: pia.jpg (3MB, 3000x3000px) Image search: [Google]
pia.jpg
3MB, 3000x3000px
>>1156974
google: ratchaburi river fishing

for more crazy looking fish
>>
>>1157299
that's a big fish. these pics look familiar, you must have posted them before

how does it work out there? you just stroll down to the village river and cast a line?
>>
Great pics, thanks for adding. I fished with buddies, not nearly as attractive. I need to upgrade my fishing partners.
>>
>>1157303
ratchaburi lake, as well
>>
>>1157314
These pics are from 2014, though I will see her again. This November. Dropping a lone is definitely an option in some places, but there are also fishing tours/trips/outings, as well.

>>1157318
Many people have advocated this before in regards to Thailand, but finding a local to be your guide really does open up the country for you. My upcoming trip she plans on taking me to her sister's house in Sri Racha, origin and name sake of the world famous condiment, Sriracha sauce.
>>
>>1157296
jeez you couldnt find anyone hotter? you must have like no game bro
>>
>>1157967
Different strokes, but she is plenty hot to me, and personality is A++++
>>
Expert DirtBag here

i'll be back in Thailand Nov 7th

any homies gonna be there for a Beer ?
>>
>>1157996
I will be in Thailand during that period. Maybe Bangkok
>>
I won't get back until early next year, but I would gladly buy a round if were going to be there. Have fun.
>>
>>1158090

forgot ... not gonna post my email on this shitty site
>>
>>1158271
Post up when you are there and we can discuss meeting up. I should have a Thai burner sim by then, anyway
>>
File: Cockatoo-ladyboy10.jpg (144KB, 467x700px) Image search: [Google]
Cockatoo-ladyboy10.jpg
144KB, 467x700px
>>1158384

ya me too
i'll do that ... i'll make a Thread November 9th

hope u like trannys
>>
>>1158797
I have some ladybugs as friends/acquaintances.

I posted the ones in the plastic surgery/love handles thread. Never fucked one.
>>
File: MAIN-Lance-Whitmore.jpg (40KB, 615x409px) Image search: [Google]
MAIN-Lance-Whitmore.jpg
40KB, 615x409px
Warning for the druggies
http://www.holiday-pattaya.com/2016/09/appeal-court-uphold-english-drug-dealer.html?m=1
>>
I am going to Thailand for vacation and I'm going to be in Bangkok first, then planning on going to Koh Phi Phi but I'm not sure if it would be cheaper to buy flight tickets in the US or in Thailand itself. Is it less likely to get scammed that way?
>>
>>1159197
thx i'll make sure not to peddle 250 pills of x when on holiday in a dictatorship
>>
>>1157996
Which destination do the solo white women flock to?
>>
>>1160403
Bangkok, Chiang Mai, and the party Islands like Koh Tao, and Koh Samui, making sure to stay in hostels and doing things like the Koh Tao pub crawl.
>>
>>1160458
Sounds good m8. I'm planning on going to Koh Phangan in December, so I'll probably book a stay in Samui as well. Not really a hostel guy, but I'll probably book a hotel around a hostel.
>>
>>1160752
In Koh Samui stay at Ark Bar beach resort. Look it up on Facebook
>>
>>1160752
Unless you have non-backpack luggage (too lazy to read through the thread to check), you should rent a motorbike instead of blowing minimum 300 baht on a taxi on Ko Phangan. When you get off the ferry, walk past all the drivers and go into town a bit. don't pay more than 150/day to rent one.
>>
>>1160770
I went to Ko Phangan 10 years ago, so it'll be interesting to see how much has changed. I'll definitely be getting a motorbike. I stayed up in Chaloklum last time, so this time I'll be staying in the west.

>>1160756
Ark seems a bit loud, and I'm old. I'll probably get a place close to that though just south of the main street.
>>
File: kohtao.jpg (865KB, 2000x2000px) Image search: [Google]
kohtao.jpg
865KB, 2000x2000px
>>1160458
>Koh Tao pub crawl
>>
File: surat thani.jpg (1MB, 2000x2000px) Image search: [Google]
surat thani.jpg
1MB, 2000x2000px
Surat Thani
>>
>>1161072
Technically Koh Samui, Ark Bar
>>1160756
>>1160752
>>1160830
>>
File: kohchang.jpg (937KB, 2000x2000px) Image search: [Google]
kohchang.jpg
937KB, 2000x2000px
>>
>>1161077

Do people still ride these elephants? Fucking hell.
>>
>>1161137
did it as a kid with my clueless parents. not worth the slight disgust i feel now
>>
>>1161137
What changed between now and whenever to think people had stopped?
>>
File: Screenshot_20160913-060707.png (1MB, 1440x2560px) Image search: [Google]
Screenshot_20160913-060707.png
1MB, 1440x2560px
>>1161179
Check the elephant on my captcha. Kek
>>
>>1161174
What's the problem with riding elephants? Assuming you ride bareback, and not on a howdah?
>>
>>1161282
PETA sjw fags
>>
>>1160770
Do you need a motorbike license to rent one?
>>
>>1161285
Ok, I figured.

Like I'm all for the ethical treatment of animals, but if an elephant isn't abused or strapped with tons of shit it's fine; elephants are social animals and love the interaction.
>>
>>1161417
What I've read is that the back of an elephant isn't supposed to bear loads so over time their spine deforms. Haven't verified if it's true though
>>
>>1161282
>>1161417
basically the elephants are tortured all their lives and treated extremely poorly. not really worse than eating meat but still feels wrong because they're such big intelligent animals
>>
Speaking of animals they closed down the tiger temple, didn't they?
>>
I have a bangkok question too: Does any of you have any tips on cheap hotels?

How do I find the cheapest hotels in Bangkok?
>>
>>1162928
Agoda or booking.com if you want to have one before arrival. Or book a hostel and then look on the ground for a guest house. Guest houses are akin to a bnb or apartment. Private rooms and what not
>>
>>1162941
Guest houses are cheap and safe?
>>
>>1162944
yes. More than a hostel, but cheaper than a hotel. About $20 USD a day or so
>>
>>1162945
Where can I search for any of these online?
>>
>>1162947
Theese I would suggest word of mouth or the aforementioned hostel for a day and look while you're on the ground. Most aren't on mainstream sites, but you can google guesthouses and Bangkok and there a bunch of sites with lsitings and reviews.

TripAdvisor has many under B&B. You can also look up hostels on tripadvisor under specialty lodging

https://www.tripadvisor.com/Hotels-g293916-Bangkok-Hotels.html
>>
>>1161291
nope. Just be aware that the drivers are psychotic and won't look before they turn.
>>
Everyone in these pics seems old. Any early 20s people who went to Thailand?
>>
>>1161494
so you're a faggot
>>
>>1163327
You must be American. Euros look old for their age.
>>
>>1161494
Yes. I'm sure this applies to every Elephant operation in Thailand.
>>
File: thailand.jpg (178KB, 1273x919px) Image search: [Google]
thailand.jpg
178KB, 1273x919px
Hey you guys check this out.

I searched Thailand on google and one of the links that came up said that the king had died. When I click the link it says 404. So idk whats going on
>>
>>1164835
DA ILLUMINATI
>>
>>
>>1163366
their spirits are broken when young, they get put in holes and beaten, starved and tortured until they have no will left and are completely tame. as adults they are bound with barbed wire and hooks around their legs to keep them still, then they carry tourists until their back sways and they're used for begging/killed cuz food is expensive
>>
>>1164774
There is at least one elephant sanctuary in Thailand that acts as a preserve, taking in elephants that have been mistreated, getting them back into a "herds" for normal socialization, and treating them extremely well.

Yay for that.
>>
File: 1446059124812s.jpg (3KB, 125x109px) Image search: [Google]
1446059124812s.jpg
3KB, 125x109px
>>1164835
When he went, at least he took the link with him.
>>
>>1166087
I went to such an elephant sanctuary in Chiang Mai.
>>
>>1166068
I thoughtyou were talking about hookers at first kek

that said, wouldn't beating it excessively cause it to lash out?
>>
File: parar1[1].jpg (84KB, 800x601px) Image search: [Google]
parar1[1].jpg
84KB, 800x601px
>>1166141
i'm sure they try
>>
>>1166087
maybe we should worry about making sure people in thailand get treated nicely before we worry about elephants

I'm not even a bleeding heart, just, you know, makes sense

unless you think millions of people in poverty, suffering, is less important than an animal

I dunno man, some democrat probably told them it was important, so it must be true, right?
>>
>>1166305
who cares about people? they're not cute and helpless
>>
>>1166478
Sounds like the definition of Thai women to me
>>
>>1166492
But Thai "women" aren't people
>>
>>1159197
the real traveler bruh.
>>
I plan on crossing the border to Cambodia on Monday, anyone want to join me?
>>
>>1166478
I'm not even advocating helping people. I don't really fucking care. but the bleeding hearts would rather help elephants than people. that just seems cruel and strange to me
>>
>>1166977
Travelling with a total stranger from 4chan to one of the world's child sex tourism capitals, what could possibly go wrong?
>>
>>1156741

Go to Hua Hin/Cha Am its less touristy but still clean and safe (The recent bombings were an isolated incident). I even slept along the beach for a week or so.

Malaysia has a lot of culture and is relatively safe. However to me it seemed real boring as there wasn't a big tourist presence.
>>
>>1162928
>>1162953

http://www.greenhousebangkok.khaosanroad.com/

I've been to thailand 20+ times and this poster speaks the truth. Its best to book like a day's stay and to walk around to find accomodations. The greenhouse on khao san road is a great place to stay and eat (shakshouska???!!!). That being said there are dozens of hostels/budget hotels near khao san road which is like a night bazaar kicking off spot for throngs of fellow backpackers. Also if you are planning on traveling around a lot resist the urge to overpack and (try) to drag around a wheeled luggage as the sidewalks are pretty rough. Its better to invest in a good pack or duffel bag to carry your stuff around
>>
>>1167248

I forgot to mention that when you book online a lot of hotels won't let you cancel or change your reservation, you might get screwed. For example, I booked a night in Kota Kinnabalu through travelocity. I wanted to stay at the beach and the hotel had "beach" in the name. Turned out it was like 5km from the beach, so imagine if you booked a week straight at a place like that, lol

Some of the best accomodations I ever got in Thailand was walking down the road and looking at the hand written chalk boards outside of the pubs (guesthouses), its quite simple, just walk in and ask at the bar (usually doubles as reception) ask to look at the room and you pay your nights lodging as you go.
>>
One Week in Thailand with wife. Flying in to Bangkok, and have no plans beyond that. I think she wants at least a few beach days whike there. We're mid 30s. What do?
>>
>>1156505
Lads gonna go from bangkok to vientiane by land (probably overnight train) what are things to do/see along the way?
>>
>>1168010
Okay, beem fucking around on the interwebs. I am thinking bangkok for a few days, then a beach for a few days, then back to Bangkok, maybe have that last night at Lebua, then fly back. But what beach to go to?
>>
I'm going to Thailand in november and I'm staying for a month. We are going to spend a few days in Bangkok and I'm looking to buy spices for cooking shenanigans. Does anyone know of a good place to buy spice?
>>
>>1168124
your local supermarket?
>>
>>1168140
I'm thinking more bulk size, like half a kilo, rather than small jars.
>>
File: image.jpg (16KB, 224x382px) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
16KB, 224x382px
>>1161072
>>
>>1168170
well there are spice wholesalers wherever you live, but if you want the novelty and slightly cheaper price pretty much all open air markets in thailand have tons of spices
>>
>>1166979
The difference between people and animals is that animals aren't (generally) capable of malice, or of having malicious intent.
>>
>>1168718
No
>>
Looking for advice on what to do un a week split between Chiang Mai and Bangkok
>>
>>1159730
Air asia
Nok air

Booking online is cheaper.
>>
>>1164835
>So idk whats going on

All important people have obituaries prepared in advance by major news works to be used when it happens.
>>
>>1168718
> that animals aren't (generally) capable of malice, or of having malicious intent.

What are cats ? What are chimps ? What are dolphins?
>>
In Beijing, just left BKK airport.

Skip Bangkok, unless you're a super partier who likes to get drunk, make a fool of himself, and further assert the image that people from your country are retarded, then by all means, go to Kao San, fuck shit up.

Instead, go to Chiang Mai. Fuck hostels, honestly. Everything is fucking cheap. Get a nice AirBNB, or stay somewhere like Banthai Village Hotel, it's all beautiful and it's all miles more relaxing than a fucking guest house. Visit Tom's London Tearoom for a great omelette and wonderful tea. Say hi to Tom for me.

Go to Lampang for a day or two, stay at Baan Kham Wan Hotel and rent a scooter.

Go to Hat Yai, go to Chiang Rai. Go anywhere but fucking Phuket and Bangkok. You're just wasting your time and youre not seeing Thailand, you're seeing a touristy, drunken haze of what everyone thinks Thailand is.
>>
Oh, and don't buy those stupid fucking elephant pants. We get it, you're tourists, but you look fucking retarded and all the locals are laughing at you.

Source: I live in Chiang Rai for 4 years now.
>>
>>1170904
I will be in Bangkok a Fri thru Mon. Chiang Mai, Mon thru Thurs. Bangkok Thurs, Flying to USA Friday Morning. Checking out Art in Paradise in both places.What do?
>>
>>1170941
Have wife with me. She goes home that Friday. I have my schedule filled for the two additional weeks I will have once she is gone. Its her birthday, btw
>>
Koh Phangan is nice, Scuba diving in Koh Tao is also a good spot to become certified.
>>
>>1170955
For the diving in Koh Tao, what's the easiest spot to get there?
>>
File: 1475163774812.png (3MB, 1920x1080px) Image search: [Google]
1475163774812.png
3MB, 1920x1080px
I'll be in Thailand for approx. 10 days in november. I have a very stressful job and i want to relax as much as i can, what are some less tourist-y beaches i can reach from Krabi (i'll be staying there beside Bangkok). Any other tips on how to properly relax around there?
>>
I'll be in Thailand for the new year and plan on going to central world during that event. I was planning on staying in the country for a month then heading to another SEA country. What things should I do for a month and where should I go after, I was thinking Bali, Indonesia
>>
>>1170302
Mammals?
>>
Thai King in critical condition. What do?
>>
>>1171430
Supposedly if he passes away they will mourn between 100 days and 1 year(heard those two estimates).

I don't think they will close all places for entertainment for more than three months though, it would wreck economy terribly.
>>
>>1171430
>>1171478
Well, fug. And I booked a trip to Thailand a month from now. Would a mourning period mean there would be no bars, no alcohol, no nothing?
>>
>>1171535
At least for some weeks ,definitely. The king is revered as almost holy figure.

Still, Thailand has a lot to offer besides bars and alcohol
>>
>>1171538
I know there is a lot in Thailand. I've been there before many times. Still, it would totally kill the fun if I was there during a mourning period. It's more than just bars and alcohol.
>>
>>1171478

What about stability? I've heard there might be some sort of coup or uprising, as his son isn't that well liked. Not that I'm worried about actually dying, more just having a shitty time and what not.
>>
>>1156505
>What is there to do in Thailand
You could take a plane to Japan and (re)experience superior Nippon culture
>>
>>1156505
Have sex with ladyboys in Pattaya
>>
>>1157026
Soi 2 and 6 streets is best place to through a line
>>
>>1171722
What's that sniffing panties and fantasising over 13yr old school girls
>>
>>1171742
>sniffing panties
Funny you should mention this, I never had the urge to sniff panties until after I met my wife over there. I think there's something about Japanese women that turns men into absolute perverts, needs further study.

Their low age of consent is a bit degenerate though, tbqh
>>
>>1171742
Yes, doesn't everybody?
Thread posts: 127
Thread images: 20

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.