[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

I'm thinking of going tree planting in Northern Ontario

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 8
Thread images: 2

File: treeplanting-scenery-9.jpg (48KB, 667x500px) Image search: [Google]
treeplanting-scenery-9.jpg
48KB, 667x500px
I'm thinking of going tree planting in Northern Ontario next season. Has anyone been tree planting before? What's the best part? What's the worst part? Would/did you do it again?
>>
Dude do NOT do it.

I was like you, suckered into working for Outland by that Facebook friend who makes $300/day and gets to ride in a helicopter, travels every winter, etc etc. You will NOT become that guy.

Instead you will suffer the worst pain imaginable for below minimum wage (remember they deduct $25/day for "camp costs" so you'll make about $65/day post taxes). When I mean it's excruciating labor, I don't mean the kind that makes you feel like a man and washes away with a beer like landscaping or roofing. I mean the kind of pain where you'll contemplate injuring yourself or disappearing into the wilderness to avoid another day of hell.

IT IS NOT SUMMER CAMP.

The worst thing is youre probably thinking like I'm thinking, " this is the /fit/ level motivation I need, people who complain are just weaklings ". No. You want to be pushed to extremes? Take up marathon running. Join a boxing gym. Do ANYTHING other than tree planting, bro. It will be the least pleasant experience of your life. The guys who are putting up numbers like 2000 trees a day are absolutely ripped 0% bodyfat beast mode tanks who only do it because they have personality disorders and come from hometowns with poor economies. Basically, country bumpkins and masochists who feel no pain. The worst part is, after camp costs and taxes, they're only making about $160/day. Dude you can make more than that driving a forklift or doing door to door sales and not even break a sweat.

The only ones who don't drop out hang on because they get into this " rah rah go team go" cult like mentality and really drink the kool aid. They generally leave with like $1200 in their pockets and never, ever, think of coming back again.
>>
>>1155790
Is there much of a problem with biting insects?
>>
>>1155798
If you're referring to horseflies the size of acorns who take chunks out of you with each bite, get caught in your hair, hurt worse than bee stings and crushing one sends out pheremones that attract other horseflies then yes.
>>
If you want to try it, just go camping. Then spend a full day hiking up and down slopes and touch the ground every few steps.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=R9wPTwlGGJs
Is your job, you make $.1 every time you plant a tree.

If you're a guy willing to work outside all summer you'll be better off landscaping or construction.

>>1155790
As negative as this post is, there's some valid points.

Unless you already have the equipment, or plan on doing it multiple seasons you'll end up being out of pocket around $1000 before you start. You wont be making much money.

It's seasonal work. It attracts outdoor enthusiasts and a steady stream of naive college kids. The people good at it often move up to brush clearing, those guys can make up to $2000 a week, but they're doing some of the hardest labour in Canada. In Quebec it's mostly Haitians.

The only people who enjoy their first season are women, who like having sex with outdoor guys.

>>1155798
If you have to ask, you should really reconsider this.
>>
>>1155790
>>1155877
Thanks for the input guys. It's looking like I'm going to reconsider then. Like the first guy said, I have a facebook friend that does all that. rides in helicopters, going into the great unknown, and supposedly making upwards of $350 a day. I also have a closer friend that did it once and his view was like "yeah, it sucked but it was a cool life experience, I guess."

It looked like a cool thing to do but if there are more rational things to do, then I'll scrap the tree planting idea
>>
>>1155798
Here's a song that'll tell you all you need to know about North Ontar-i-o-i-o
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=f389hIxZAOc
>>
File: 1259801155537.jpg (43KB, 594x388px) Image search: [Google]
1259801155537.jpg
43KB, 594x388px
>>1155798
bahahahahha
Thread posts: 8
Thread images: 2

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.