[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

What are some ways to get cheaper international airfare? Online

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 16
Thread images: 3

File: International-travel-myths.jpg (33KB, 649x434px) Image search: [Google]
International-travel-myths.jpg
33KB, 649x434px
What are some ways to get cheaper international airfare? Online travel bookers like travelocity, expedia, etc all seem to want $1k+ for a single ticket.
>>
>>1155054
Find a cheap ticket to a coastal city. LA for Asia, NYC, Boston, and DC for Europe.
>>
>>1155054
Where are you flying from and to? Maybe we can find something slightly better.

Certain routes are going to be like that though, especially in tourist season. For example I go to Europe every few years to visit family. In the summer tickets go for $1000-1200 for my flight. In October or April I can get the same flight for $700.

Use skyscanner and momondo. Also look for nearby cities to where you wonna go. For example going to Amsterdam might be cheaper than flying to Paris, from Amsterdam you can take a cheap local flight or another form of transport if you can to get to Paris.
>>
File: points.jpg (13KB, 405x97px) Image search: [Google]
points.jpg
13KB, 405x97px
The best way would be to figure out how to use credit card rewards to your advantage because then your tickets can become completely free.

Pic related -- 60,000 points will get me round trip to Europe via United next summer.

Like >>1155060 was saying, you can usually travel to a bigger city if you're not otherwise flying out of one to get cheaper airfare.
I took a bus from Boston to NYC ($15) earlier this year and saved hundreds of dollars by flying to my destination out of NYC rather than Boston.
>>
This is a bit hard to explain and only works for long flights that require two or more legs to the journey, but:
>go to skyscanner.com
>select your actual destination as the departure location and your arrival location as 'everywhere' (so the reverse of what you actually want to do)
>you are now seeing the cheapest ways to get to your location (in reverse)
So if you want to get to country x, you might find there is a cheap flight from random country y to country x, then all you need to do is find a cheap flight from your country to country y...
Hope this makes sense.
>>
>>1155070
If you have good credit, this. Chase just put out about the best credit card as far as sign up bonus goes. Get that and the Sapphire preferred, free flights via points from the sign up bonuses alone. Other than that, Google Flights and play around routing using different airlines (even from different carrier groups) to find the best fair to the domestic hub for your international flight. I essentially did that for my trip to Japan next year. $3500 for ANA business class from LA to Haneda, and now its just a matter of watching the flights from Atlanta to LA until I get a deal I can jump on.
>>
>>1155070
this. I replied to a thread once about using points and was promptly and unanimously laughed at for even suggesting it.
>>
>>1155089
I should also add that if you live in a random small city, long flights might often fly to a larger national city before going on the international leg. It usually works out cheaper to book the domestic and international flights yourself individually.

Also bare in mind that cheap airlines might have good prices advertised but can become a lot less competitive when your include luggage.

P.S. its always worth spending a little more for a shorter flight with less waiting.
>>
>>1155093
What you need to remember is that your providing financial advise to random strangers who you know nothing about. You may well be able to game the system, work your way through incredibly long and complex terms and conditions after scouring through an incredibly large and hard to understand market to find the right card or product for your circumstances. But not everyone will do that successfully, and they can very easily end up spending more in the long run. There are a lot of pitfalls to be found.
>>
>>1155097
I literally figured this shit out after 2 afternoons of googling. It's no more difficult than finding the cheapest flight from A-B, then from B-C, and so on.
>>
>>1155149
M8, if it was that easy for everyone then these products wouldn't exist.
>>
>>1155070
>I took a bus from Boston to NYC ($15) earlier this year and saved hundreds of dollars by flying to my destination out of NYC rather than Boston.

Be sure to check this out. Planning a trip to Naples next spring. Flying straight into Naples from Minneapolis is about $1400. If I fly into Rome instead, and do the $40 1-1/2hr train ride to Naples, it is only $890.
>>
>>1155153
Credit cards with insane sign up bonuses for their rewards programs exist not because its difficult to use (it literally could not be easier these days) but because credit card companies are competing with each other for customers. We are long past the days of doing weekend mileage runs hitting 4 airports on a last minute flash sale to rack up airline points. These days all you have to do is compare credit cards, sign up for the one that best fits you, spend the required amount in the specified time (usually 1-4k dollars in 3 months) and reap the rewards.
>>
Norwegian Airlines.
>>
File: lel.png (162KB, 494x297px) Image search: [Google]
lel.png
162KB, 494x297px
>>1155157
>tfw you live in north dakota
>dakotas = anus of the upper midwest
>lmao south dakota has rushmore
>must sell first born for enough money for an intl flight

Oh to live in a place with more than a regional airport . . .
>>
>>1156770
i am inhabiting nodak rn so much jelly over minneapolis ;-;
Thread posts: 16
Thread images: 3

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.