[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

How many of you have seen the show departures? It's was

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 23
Thread images: 3

File: image.png (181KB, 500x280px) Image search: [Google]
image.png
181KB, 500x280px
How many of you have seen the show departures? It's was only broadcast in Canada, but is now on Netflix. I really recommend it, one of the better travel shows I have seen.
>>
>>1154795
Most people on here know about Departures. It's a good show.

Another interesting travel show based from Canada is Waterfront Cities of the World. If you haven't seen it yet I highly recommend at least watching an episode on cities you're going to in the near future.
>>
>>1154795

>one of the better travel shows I have seen.

By FAR the best ive seen.

Almost all travel shows are prestaged and heavily edited, they also tend to get access and special treatment in many of the places they visit, which is something normal tourists dont get. Departures is pretty raw, like its a TV show but its a more accurate description of travel than most.

I also like a bunch of other travel shows too, long way around is one of the best but its too short, Vice also has a bunch of good travel documentaries.
>>
>>1154803
>Departures is pretty raw, like its a TV show but its a more accurate description of travel than most.
While I somewhat agree with this, you must know that they have a whole team of people behind them who did some research and pre-planning. It's not as staged as other shows but they certainly don't just randomly stumble upon some of those situations. Like that Russia episode where they drive tanks, that's quite expensive if you want to actually do that as a tourist in Russia.

Actually the Russia episode was one my least liked because I felt they were quite ignorant about the situation in Russia.
>>
>>1154795
You mean the painfully boring jock with the personality of a bowl of porridge and the braying jackass who makes Australians look respectful, intelligent and polite in comparison?

No thanks
>>
File: 1393129813084.png (356KB, 572x380px) Image search: [Google]
1393129813084.png
356KB, 572x380px
>it's a Justin acting like a 10 year old scene
>>
>>1154810
>that's quite expensive if you want to actually do that as a tourist in Russia

Depends really, if you know the right people it can be done without spending too much. Some friends came with me to Moscow and we got to do it.

t. russian immigrant with uncle in FSB
>>
How many times do you think they fucked while taping this show? Justin was obviously the bottom
>>
>>1154810
>It's not as staged as other shows

Probably it is, but they are better at disguising it than some.
>>
>>1154895
There you go, you need connections. Most travelers don't have connections across the world. With connections anything is possible.

Supposedly they spent $300k the first season and about half a mill the other 2 seasons.
>>
>>1154921
I liked this show until I actually went to the places they visited.

it's completely staged, which is impressive for their small cast size

that's the problem with tv, or finding information on a foreign country in general. it's generally tailored to an extremely low LCD.

1001 hippies will show you some pretty pictures and say "it's soooo enlightening" but they'll never understand it better at all

I feel lucky to be trilingual.
>>
I like it but it's definitely not a good view of what you'd experience there. They had an incredible budget and connections.

IMO the best one is the documentary by the guy that quit his job to do a year-long RTW trip. He stayed in the backpacker circuits so it's a great description of what life is like in hostels and such. And he talks about the bad things too.
>>
File: riku_tunna.png (295KB, 580x391px) Image search: [Google]
riku_tunna.png
295KB, 580x391px
Madventures is another good one, and I can appreciate that they don't hide seeking out attractions and weird things. Sadly I believe first season hasn't been fully subtitled in English, and that's easily the best one since they keep mostly out of more developed countries, and never returned back to Finland during their trip.
Second season suffers from them doing more concretely plannned trips of month or two, and in third one it seemed they were somewhat retreading first two, but with tamer material.

Hmm. Actually, anybody interested in subbed first season of Madventures?
>>
>>1155664
Count me in, definitely
I'd probably get the main idea by listening to them talk but I'd really have to concentrate. Would love a subbed one
>>
>>1154795
I love how its two late 20 year olds realizing there is more to life than working a 9 to 5. The show is inspiring and i dream to do what they did. Im 28 and just recently got my first career type job. I feeel like its over for me and my dream of traveling the world. I wish i was bold enough and maybe stupid enough (please dont take that as an insult) to leave myjob with 30k in hand and travel for a year. Its my favorite travel show , and i believe netflix doesnt have all the seasons but its all on YouTube. Favorite part of the show is how much the host improve the 2nd and 3rd season. They come out of there shell and have a much better dynamic and even learn how to mountain climb. First season is still good , favorite part is how honest justin is about japanese food and hates it while i feel most people would just pretend to like it as japanese food always gets praised
>>
>>1154795
After seeing this thread I downloaded the series. Was pretty disappointed by it though. Ofcourse, travelling for a year sound really cool. But meanwhile they're just sightseeing some spots. I mean, 10 days in the whole of Canada in which 20 min of footage is them driving in their camper van.
Not the way I like to travel at all.
And the other episode I saw (Marocco) was just 20 min in Spain with stupid stuff, the rest in Marocco where they visited only two cities and hiked to the top of a mountain (and Justin was bitching all the way).

It is shot well though.
>>
The only real travel show that is bullshit free, lightly edited, filmed by one dude with no one else there and a very light production team organizing stuff allowing for serendipity is the stuff made by antoine de maximy but it is in french.
>>
>>1155664
Excellent show! Spent forever trying to get the subbed episodes for the first season but could only find one or two on youtube. You got the rest?

>>1155654
M8, got a name for that show?
>>
>>1156430
eh. there's a reason that there's a large range between highbrow, middlebrow, and lowbrow content.

fact of the matter is that highbrow television barely matches up with middlebrown written content.

I agree with you, though.

I speak a few languages and I typically seek out content that's not in english if I can. oftentimes, due to budget, or perhaps cultural taste, I can find similar content that's basically a monologue or reading of an essay set over panoramic or scenic footage. I enjoy the format more. imagine jacques crustoe but for all sorts of things and without the pretentious tone.'

it's relaxing and I can do some light work while I listen, so unlike tv they don't have to invent fake drama to keep me hooked, devolving the information content

I never see the format in english though
>>
GOAT show coming through which is more about the people than about the travel (it's in French though)

This guy is all by himself with a camera on his shoulder and his 'rule' is that he needs to stay at someone's place to sleep.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=c_XxfiH0-5Q
>>
I always am afraid to watch these shows, i feel that once i see the countries they film i lose the will/charm to visit that place, like i've already seen it and to a small extent experienced it from the videos, anyone else feel the same?
>>
>>1157387
A little. Of course actually being somewhere is not at all comparable to a video.

If I've settled on a location, I'll do the research I need to do to have an understanding of how to get around and the important must see spots, but after that I go totally radio silent as far a travel documentaries and shows about that place go
>>
>>1154795
What's your opinion on The Budgeteers?
https://youtu.be/rZ60AgL_gYw
Thread posts: 23
Thread images: 3

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.