[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

itt: scams/rip-offs these are all in nyc >go to halal cart

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 122
Thread images: 6

File: scam.png (725KB, 1024x788px) Image search: [Google]
scam.png
725KB, 1024x788px
itt: scams/rip-offs

these are all in nyc

>go to halal cart guy late at night in midtown (~1am)
>ask for a water, it's $1
>hand him a $10
>get back $4 in change
>say loudly "I gave you ten"
>he hands me a fiver saying oh, sorry

>girl, near 30 rock, says she needs money to get back to new jersey
>just keep walking

>cashier at bagel shop (ess-a-bagel in upper east side) gives me 1.65 in change, should've gotten 1.68.
>call her out on it (noticed she didn't give me any pennies)
>well...I don't have any pennies
>I don't think that's justification
>stare at her directly in the eye for 5-6 seconds
>finally she slams another nickel on the counter
>leave
>>
File: 1429622344263.png (29KB, 500x275px) Image search: [Google]
1429622344263.png
29KB, 500x275px
>>1151888
>>
>>1151890
incidentally I was at prospect park this morning and heard almost that exact phrase.
>>
>>1151888
OY VEY! I hope all you travelers have (((insurance)))
>>
Silly me for thinking there was some Madoff-level stuff ITT
>>
File: violated-1.jpg (282KB, 650x488px) Image search: [Google]
violated-1.jpg
282KB, 650x488px
In Chicago, winter-spring:

>Waiting to walk across a crosswalk
>Carrying some photography gear so I probably look like a tourist
>Wearing boots, Salomon Deemax 3
>Great boots but not a shiny fashion statement
>Guy walks up to me and compliments me on them, shows me this Kiwi lotion stuff that's apparently really good for boots
>'Here, let me show you'
>wat
>Squirts some of his cum lotion on my boots
>Uhhh
>Basically trapped me
>Takes me to the side of a building and starts shining my boots and rubbing them and talking about how he's trying to feed his family and this is his job and he's a good man
>5 uncomfortable minutes later, "that'll be $10 per boot my man"
Jesus Christ
>Those boots were pretty expensive but it took me some time to get them, I'm no moneybags
>Give him 5 dollars out of guilt and leave, he looks shocked

I took pictures of the whole thing with my digital camera and he was making jokes like "yeah folks, this is truly a kodak moment". Yeah, it was. Also the first time a guy got me like this.

And then there was the time this one guy told me he needed money for train ticket because he was trying to move to Louisiana. Told him I had nothing and then the desperate expression on his face transformed into contempt and dissatisfaction as he walked away. Saw him a few more times over the course of a few months.

Typical stuff if you're in a big city.
>>
>>1151888
Theres a faggot white guy in Chicago who always rides the Red Line. He claims no one on the Red Line has spat on him like on the blue line but he has gotten kicked out his house and needs 25 bucks to get to Milwuakee to stay with his $FAMILY_MEMBER. Had the same story for 6 months

Theres also a guy with very real diabetes that rolls up his legs to show off his open pussing diabetes legs that will need to be cut off. Im sure his story about being kicked out the hospital is true but at that point he is going to lose them no matter what. But he rides the train and whenever I'm riding to one end or the other I see him getting off rolling down his pants and he always has a hidden beer or pack of cigarettes so he obviously has some extra money
>>
>>1151888
Here's another one for newyork that gets tourists sometimes.

>Groups of age 20-35 year old guys hang out in timesquare handing out mixtapes/cds.
>they'll stop you and kindly ask you to hear their tracks because they've worked hard on them, etc.
>if you accept, they ask for payment (20-30 dollars) after the disc is in your hands.
>if you try to give the CD back to them, they refuse to take it
>will try to intimidate you into paying, sometimes have friends group up around you to drive it home.

This one is easily avoidable as you just don't accept random shit from strangers in most places in the world. It's gotten my tourist friends in the past though, so I figure it's worth warning about.
>>
>>1152357
>Not dropping it on the ground and running a few feet to one of the million cops in Times Square the first second they seem like they won't accept anything but payment

How does that get anyone?
>>
File: 1393815079574.png (8KB, 208x243px) Image search: [Google]
1393815079574.png
8KB, 208x243px
>>1151888
>>cashier at bagel shop (ess-a-bagel in upper east side) gives me 1.65 in change, should've gotten 1.68.

oy vey, silly goyim!
>>
>>1151888
>valet at music venue in my city (or any venue desu)
>pay $20 upn entering
>"it's $20 extra after 2am" (said after 3am on ticket)
>valet pulls my car up
>valet arguing with another guy
>my friends and I hop into the car quickly
>mfw I pull away honking at pedestrians to gtfo before valet catches me
>>
>>1152357
Lmao my friend and I bought one of these for $5 when we went to the metropolitan museum of art for a school trip

>put the cd in a Walkman on the bus home
>first track plays
>"bitch I'm flowing better than a wet dream"
>>
>>1152365
Is this a picture of jewish guy?
>>
>>1152352
I've seen the dude with the fucked up leg a couple of times. That shit is grotesque desu.
>>
Jew York:
>on the way to Liberty Island with my buddy
>we checked where to go and to get tickets
>right outside the South Ferry Metro Station
>a group of blacks (such clichée) blocking the way to battery park (where the tickets are sold) and claim you have to buy tickets first at the opposite direction first. Luring people away form the right direction, to sell them more expensive tickets.
>claiming they are official New York City employees
>they act very intrusive
>Many people follow them
>Me and buddy just say we aren't interested in Liberty Island, get left alone after repeating it several times.
>walk around to get to the official ticket sales point

The Park Rangers there weren't interested at all.
>>
Shanghai;
The tea ceremony scam is fairly common knowledge but i've spotted a few tourist trap types walking off with them before.

Essentially they approach in groups of 3-4 mixed male females aged 18-25 who are usually pretty attractive, they come up and compliment you and try to start a conversation with you to get you interested then when you're chatting away they invite you to a 'traditional tea ceremony', they go with you there then you end up with a massive bill from whichever restaurant or tea house is running the scam.
>>
>be me
>be in Krakow
>meet two girls from tinder
>pre gaming at a bar
>go to nightclub
>was told that entrance is 10zl
>both girls pay 10zl each and get in
>I'm next in line
>lowest bill I have is a 20zl
>hand it to the bouncer
>get a stamp on my hand and a blank stare
>no change
>stand there for a second wondering if he'll catch on
>another bouncer comes up to me, guy behind me starts pushing
>meh fuck this
>walk in
>girls start giving me the cold shoulder
>literal brawl in front of the coat room
>decide I've had enough
>walk out the way I came in
>trip over the ropes causing a huge scene
>hear a group of drunk brits start taking the piss
>walk back to my airbnb alone at 1am full of shame
Got ripped off and spilled some spaghetti in one evening.
>>
>>1152498
This is an old problem there. Some tourist got punched out there.
>>
File: 1407926832935.jpg (2MB, 634x8215px) Image search: [Google]
1407926832935.jpg
2MB, 634x8215px
>>
>>1152352
I think the vast majority of beggars must have one or two stories that they constantly reuse.
I see it all the time over here in Boston by the same people.
>I need money for a state ID in order to collect welfare
>I'm a drug addict and I need money for a bus ticket to get to rehab
>>
Not sure if it is considered a scam, but:
>Walking around Washinton DC near the national mall
>Some guy is giving out hats
>Gives one to me and all of my friends
>Asks for a donation of $10
>I refuse and try to give him the hat back, he doesn't take it, so I just toss it into his arms
>My friends end up paying him
>>
>>1152334
Kiwi actually does good for boots. Some of their stuff is a waterproofing mink oil.
>>
After moving 8 years ago (from my Brazilian State) to Rio de Janeiro I've learned some scams local people - including clerks and shop owners - do here.

> You touch, you pay
You're drinking at some boteco (bar) and "free" stuff appears in front of you - bread slices, peanuts, etc. They will point to you such stuff isn't free only when you're going to pay the bill, but it's too late. Sometimes the stuff is already on the table and you don't notice you were already billed as soon as you sit down; sometimes they wait alcohol reaching your blood to put the stuff and even refuse to give a direct/objective answer if you ask how much it costs in order to make you think it's free.

> Flash raise
Saying "yes", "okay", "agreed", etc., after asking the price of something, or getting some item/service and asking the price again, causes the price to "raise".

> The taxi driver "relative"
The taxi stops in the middle of the ride to get a "relative", a "policeman friend" or just another passenger to share the fare. They won't let you get out until you agreed to pay an overpriced fare.

> Not included in price
This is very popular among plumbers, technicians, doctors, dentists, etc. They tell you a price but when you're going to pay an "unanticipated" fares arise: visit fare, third-party charges... bolts&screws...

> Pay for my mistake
They deliver rotten food, shoddy service, etc., and fix it to you. Then you pay twice the price since he had to work twice.

> Assigned to rip off
Some people (including middle/upper class professionals) will strongly/blatantly demand you to buy something or make a medical exam at outlet X or with Dr. Y - and refuse to service you if you don't agree. Comission/bonus sharing is a common practice in Rio - no matter his social status or wealth.
>>
>>1152352
I went looking for the nasty leg guy. Think I found a pic of him.
https://chicago.everyblock.com/talk/jan19-green-legged-man-o-hare-blue-line-7303767/
>>
Boston/Cambridge

junkies on the subway with ridiculous tales of woe that take 5+ minutes to get through.

fanuiel hall fake monks https://www.bostonglobe.com/metro/2016/07/26/faneuil-hall-warns-fake-monks-soliciting-donations/9iGMHUhTQmXACa9H8abeyO/story.html#comments

elliot davis, conman with a blog about him: http://elliotdavisconman.blogspot.com/ known to be super aggressive asking for fix-a-flat and claims racism when he doesn't get money

also anyone with a clipboard
>>
>>1153210
A variant of the Friendship Bracelet Scam in NYC is the Buddhist. There's a guy who walks around Union Square and he's a monk, he'll give you a bracelet and then try to extort you for money for his temple. If you try giving it back or denying he gets aggressive.
>>
>>1153297
>https://chicago.everyblock.com/talk/jan19-green-legged-man-o-hare-blue-line-7303767/
Absolutely disgusting, but even worse in real life
>>
I've seen experienced this back in High school when touring Europe, happened in Paris and Venice

> Africans try to sell you cheap merchandise for whatever price they can
> Paris groups sell key chains and light things that are somewhat worthwhile
> Others sell Counterfeit Gucci Bags and what not
> If you buy something they'll literally surround you and try to get you to buy
> Some look like dope fiends, looks like zombies hoarding around you
> My class is under the Eiffel tower waiting
> Everyone of the Africans are surrounding us
> Everyone trys to ignore them
> "Hey, Big man, name your price, how bout it"
> Offers me Eiffel tower key chains
> Look him dead in the eyes as he smiles
> "Where you from," I ask, everyone telling me to stop
> "Senegal, how bout you,"
> "Detroit Michigan, United States,"
> He smiles
> "You get two for free,"
> Walks off quickly as I shove them quickly in pocket to avoid attention
> My class is shocked

Remember these people are humans to, treat them decently and some of then won't try to take your money.
>>
>>1153253
>>I refuse and try to give him the hat back, he doesn't take it, so I just toss it into his arms
I've gotten the same thing with (probably fake) buddhist monks in China, they give out good luck charms and then want donations. I toss their crap in the bin. If they get too aggressive in wanting money then I'll shove them over, cops don't give a shit, locals cheer me when I do it.

>>1153257
>Kiwi actually does good for boots
Kiwi is quality polish, it's still a scam though. I've had versions of that, some kid squirted his ointment on my shoe, I wiped it off on his pants while guys sitting down laughed at him.
>>
>>1152352
>Theres also a guy with very real diabetes that rolls up his legs to show off his open pussing diabetes legs
The photos make his legs look pretty chunky but they're not high enough quality to be sure...
Is it possible that it's zombie makeup over healthy legs?
>>
>All these stories about vagrants loitering in public transportation/high traffic areas
Aren't cops supposed to do something about this kind of shit? I live in Buffalo and holy fuck I don't even go down town anymore because you can't walk five feet without a fucking panhandler hassling you.
>>
>>1152679
is there a "real" traditional tea ceremony? I was at my uni's faculty art show opening (it's a bad school, all 2 deep 5 u stuff) and they made a big deal out of a tea ceremony that one of the profs had experienced on a recent trip. The profs were all clueless about the real world, so I'm here laffin now that maybe he never realized it was a scam.
>>
>>1153339
No its real and very gross
>>
>>1153327
>Detroit
I'm from the 'burbs up north. Fucking people here always try to say they're from the D. This shit only works if you actually look like you could pull out a knife at any second and/or are built.
>>
>>1153351
>so I'm here laffin now that maybe he never realized it was a scam
It depends.

Every second place I visit offers me tea and it's vaguely ritualised but not that much. The host will wash the tea and pour it and shit like that, before offering you the first cup.

If your art-school wanker prof went to visit a Chinese art-school wanker prof, then the Chinese art-school wanker prof might well have done some 2deep5u traditional tea ceremony and meant every ritualised gesture of it.

Most people just go through a few steps, I mean I was in a bike shop last week and they made tea for me, it's literally that common. Similar to offering someone a coffee or beer when they come to your home/work.

It's pretty common in business, I've done it in university environments and it's a bit more high-class there.

Artists and shit are probably more serious about it so yeah, it could have been real...or it could have been some tourist shit that happened when he signed up to see something and got taken to a 'tea house' and served tea and pressured to buy shit that the guide gets commission on.

Not enough detail but it could have been legit.
>>
File: 1463871377736.jpg (142KB, 960x720px) Image search: [Google]
1463871377736.jpg
142KB, 960x720px
When a scammer/gypsy walks up to me and starts handing me bracelets or asking for cash or whatever, I like to just switch to my own language that's only spoken by a million people.
A confused look is guaranteed and they'll either leave you alone, thinking you don't speak english, or you can just walk off while saying whatever random obscenities you want in an ''I'm done here'' kinda way.
>>
Will I be safer from scams if I speak with angry Russian accent?
>>
>>1152892
>Got ripped off
He thought it was a tip. Should have said something.
>>
>>1153441
bumping for this question
>>
>>1153446
The girls said he overcharged me because I couldn't speak Polish
>>
>>1153327
>treat them decently

That went out the window the instant they acted like that. Pushy sellers and scammers do not deserve decency from anyone, they are worthless wastes of space. At best they deserve to be ignored completely.
>>
Do you get scammed as much when you're built like a brick shithouse and look like you're about to kill someone?
>>
>>1152358
>pay me twenty dollars bitch
>no
>well uhhh me and my friends really need to you pay us now motherfucka
>walk away
What are they going to do? Call the cops? Rob you?
>>
>>1153418
What language is that?
>>
>>1153339
They're chunky because they are filled with an insane amount of pus.
>>
>be british
>go to germany
>go to a shop because thirsty
>speaking with my mate in the shop
>guy at the till mutters something to the other worker about us being Americans
>charges us 10x more on everything

fuck that shop and fuck americans
>>
>Amsterdam
>hooker offers special tourist treatment package for 20 euro extra
>shoves a dildo up my ass

Be warned
>>
All these stories makes me want to go out on a trip without valuables but needles, glass and other shit for fucking up their grubby fingers trying to pickpocket me. Fake wallets with paint or stink bombs when opened and phones with extra strong loudspeakers that play the "teen frequency" which people over ~20 can't hear.
>>
>>1153586
Maybe not to that extent. Credit card in a shoe, most money stored on another bank account.
On top of that I'd make sure to get jacked, have foam forming in my mouth as I run around with a knife whilst screaming about math in Russian.
>>
>>1153327
If they (scammers in general, not just African ones) wanted to be treated "decently," maybe they shouldn't try to haggle useless junk on us.
>>
>>1153327

>Detroit

I live in Detroit, is it that notorious worldwide? It's really not that bad anywhere but some sections of Gratiot and Dearborn
>>
>be 14
>this acne covered girl comes up to me
>asks me for money
>I'm a broke ass teenager so of course I say no
>say Goodluck and walk away
After about ten minutes I realized I could have given her my metro card for a blowjob, but then I probably would have gotten aids or some kind of disease
Oh well
Not really a scam, I just wanted to share my story
>>
>>1151888
>In beautiful New Orleans, passing a good time.
>Hey, Anon, I bet you ten bucks I can tell you where you got them shoes.
>What?
>I bet you ten bucks, I can tell you where you got them shoes -- I can tell you the state, the city, the very street where you got them shoes.
>Well, I am dumb as dirt and cannot spot an obvious con, so you're on!
>
>
>
>You got them shoes on your feet, in new Orleans, Louisiana, on Bourbon street on this fine summer day. Now, you will notice the 5 large black men that were not notably with me when this conversation started, but who are here now to make sure you do not try to stiff me on our friendly wager...
>>
>>1153522
Ausfag who went to China here; in my experience no. There isn't a HUGE reduction, but there's less outright bullshit.
>In Yangshou, at some shitty market
>It's a class trip, with about 14 girls and 7 guys
>About 5 of us guys are "classic" Australians; tall, beefy and look a little like brawlers
>Girls are almost all blonde, short and tanned, so perfect scam targets
>We're at the large market
>I'm with 3 of the girls looking at stuff
>The girls are buying some trinket at a stall
>I'm looking at shit at another stall, so I probably don't look like I'm with them
>The girls agree on a price with the vendor, and hand over a larger denomination note
>The vendor refuses to give change, but offers to use the money which should be their change as a discount for another item
>This is a "tall" Chinese guy, but wiry as fuck. Bigger than a girl, but tiny by Ausfag standards
>The girls get slightly irate and tell him he's not being fair
>He laughs and says something in Chinese, and puffs out his chest and stands close
>Fucker is trying to intimidate them
>I walk over and stand with my friends
>I have at least a foot and 15 kg's on this guy (t...thanks /fit/)
>Suddenly he finds a bunch of small denomination notes to give them

Similar shit happened a lot there. Some vendor would be being an unfair prick, but suddenly when some large white males appeared to be with the people they were fucking over, the problem would suddenly be solved.
>>
>>1153539
I know the feeling mate. I'm an Australian, not a fkn American. Yet I've been mistaken for one a few times, usually ending with a 3x markup on a price.
>>
>got a taxi in LA
>ten minute ride
>guy says machine is broken, I owe $76
>tell him that's fine, get out and walk into a crowd of people as he is shouting at me

lel
>>
>>1153274
BRazil seems like such a shithole
>>
>>1153589
>Credit card in shoe

Isn't this starting to catch on? I would't be surprised if these fuckers started to trip people over and then then pull your shoes off after cutting the laces if necessary.
>>
>>1153753
Remember your card details, e.g. card number and 3 digit security number and then scratch it off the card.
>>
>>1153667
That one was pretty legit anon. Be a good sport and give up the tenner.
>>
>>1153769
They can still swipe the card, you can just remember the number on the back of the card and add it to your phone, so as soon as you lose your card you call that number and you minimize loses.
>>
>be me
>be in Odessa
>take a taxi back to my hotel
>agree with some dude beforehand to pay only 70uah (2,40€ so meh)
>he looks unhappy when I ask for a price before riding
>get in the front seat of some 12 seater van
>he refuses to let me buckle up
>opens my window and all this other bullshit
>short 5 minute ride to my place
>speeds like crazy on cobble roads
>arrive on scene
>hand him a 100 note
>"no change no change"
>only two words he apparently knows in English
>don't have enough in smaller bills to equal 70
>tell him I don't have anymore money
>just sit there and not get out of the car
>he starts looking around his van for "change"
>tries to give me a water bottle to make up for the 30uah
>I refuse to take and just sit in his van
>few minutes go by, he eventually has had enough and magically pulls out his change bag
>I notice this bag is full of money and bills
>he throws me 30uah and tells me to get out
I kekked pretty hard. He tried to roll off before I could fully get out of the van with my bag too.
>>
>>1153827
>in Odessa

You don't need to add "be me" or "BE in odessa" it is implied.
>>
>>1153892
">Be me" has been used since ever, most likely as an ironic nod towards the nature of implicating and taking things for implicated.
Might want to stick around for a while before correcting people, Anon :~).
>>
>>1153895
>ironic nod

Christ. Can the internet even communicate without a few layers of irony around everything?
>>
>Go to Lisbon
>Go have lunch in touristy spot because too tired to go somewhere else
>Waiter greets us, puts some bread at the table
>"Neat, complimentary bread!"
>The bill arrives
>3 Euro for some five rolls of bread
>>
>>1153892
>>1153897
>be me
>be on 4chan
>can't even do a classic meme without upsetting someone
I hear reddit is down the hall and to the left if you don't like it here. Fucking newfags stinking up the place
>>
>>1153951
>4chan is about using stale memes from the reddit boogey man

Can't get newer than this.
>>
>>1153958
Yes you can. You can get as new as not being able to identify basic 4chan subculture and getting upset over what someone else has written on the internet.
>>
>>1153965
Seems you should take your own advice.
>>
>>1153969
Nah m8, that's you. You're memeing ended after the first complaint about >be me. At this point it's just genuine butthurt.
>>
>alone in Berlin
>check out tinder, get a few matches
>decide to grab dinner with one and see where it goes
>she looks alright but not like her pics
>meh a few shots and everything will alright
>get dinner and then go to a shisha bar afterwards
>nothing too flirty or touchy yet
>go to a bar afterwards, still nothing affectionate yet
>few drinks later finally have to go pee
>come back, all of a sudden things are heating up
>ahh yeah she's getting touchy now maybe she's drunk
>she takes me to another bar, more drinks, starting to get dizzy
>she keeps ordering me drinks and not as many for herself
>another bar, repeat
>we go and "chill" at some "quiet" longue for a bit
>not blackout drunk but definitely not sober
>we start getting touchy and kissy even though her kisses are closed mouth pecks
>at like 3am she pushes me to head back to my place
>oh fuck what just hit me this doesn't feel like normal alcohol
>about to get it on and she tells me to go shower
>all of a sudden I start throwing up like crazy
>vomitting doesn't end, feel the absolute worst I've ever felt
>slightest bit of movement and I'll vomit
>she tells me she's going to get some meds at a local pharmacy
>never shows back up
>I feel like I'm about to die I'm so sick
>8am and it's only getting worse, crying at this point
>grab a taxi to the hospital
>get some tests taken
>large amount of rohypnol in my blood
Turns out I'm allergic to roofies and was spiked with so much that my body tried rejecting it lmao. I assume she tried to rob me while I showered but luckily I threw up at the perfect time. Never had her out of sight at my place so I figure she had enough and left. Unmatched with me too
>>
>>1153986
>you're
>>
>>1152357
Some negro tried this on me but quickly realized I wouldn't give him any shekels
>>
>>1154001
>Unmatched with me too
Ayyyy, icing on the cake.
>>
>>1154011
;^)
>>
>>1152352
lololol that dude is wearing prosthetics and make up, he's had gangrene for like 2 years now lmao
t. used to live in chicago
>>
>>1153827
Fuck you're a cheap bastard and the worst kind of traveler there is. You literally argued over a dollar you miserable cheapskate, you do nothing to support the local economies. Do the world a favor and stay home poor boy, maybe get a job so you don't have to poverty Jew everyone.
>>
>>1153210
I'm terrified of the fake police. As a foreiner in a new country I want to respect the authority of local police officers. However, I refuse to be a chump and take shit from lowly scammers. How can I check to make sure a police officer is authentic and what do I do if I suspect the person in talking to isn't a cop? I'll be in south east asia by the way
>>
>>1153892
>>1153895
>>1153897
>>1153951
>>1153958
>>1153965
>>1153986
>>1153969
>>1154011

I didn't think it was possible to have autism AND cancer
>>
>Restaurant on Miami
>Order a drink, something like 5 dollars
>Bill arrives
>20 dollars drink + "souvenir glass" (just a large glass with the place's name)

They just assume you want their overpriced souvenir glass if you order a drink. It may not be a scam, but it's certainly a ripoff.
>>
>>1154328
>assume you want their overpriced souvenir glass
No, they know perfectly well you don't. That's just how they justify it.
>>
>>1154319
You have obviously never been in a taxi where you agree on the price before riding.
>hire a cab
>ask for price before riding (no meters)
>driver chose 70
>instantly said okay
>driver tries to scam me by pretending to not have change
>somehow I'm the bad guy
Yeah okay buddy. If I didn't ask for the price before riding it would have been 500 because I'm a filthy foreigner. Criminal taxi drivers aren't the local economy. Grow the fuck up. Sounds like you're the kind of guy to write a thousand word facebook rant if you don't get tipped a dollar for bringing a cold plate late to someone.
>>
>>1153327
>real story
>>
>>1153210
This was a long time ago but I think it still applies.

Watch out for the color of the taxi that you ride in cities like Monterrey and D.F., Mexico. Some are cabs that basically "kidnap" you and take you to a hotel they're working for, even if you're already staying in another one.

Nothing really happens to you except losing time and missing your destination. The cab driver will try to force you to pay, but you can get out of that issue by telling him to fuck off very loudly and aggressively.

When me and my family arrived at the hotel behind the supposed scam, the front desk claimed they didn't really know what happened. Either they were lying or there is a separate business that low-ranking hotel employees are not aware of.
>>
>>1154319
Scamming taxi drivers are the cancer that runs amock cities. That anon did well in not letting the thieving fucker get away with his money.

"M-MUH LOCALS" my fucking ASS. I live in Juárez, Mexico. We only get about 3k tourists per year so most cab users are locals. We still get scammed anyways and the cabs are shit. It's no wonder Uber ilegally set up shop, we are sick and tired of getting scammed.
>>
>>1153353
I I fit that description and nigger>>1153619
>>1153619
It's not notorious at all, since it's mostly ignored my the media and it's rap scene kills each other, most people didn't know about it over there.

The dude probably didn't recognize it at all, but I talked to him like he was a human was good enough for him.
>>
>>1153716
>tell him that's fine, get out and walk into a crowd of people as he is shouting at me
fucking lel. i wish i was brave enough to try something like that.
>>
>Dublin
>take cab back from Guinness Storehouse (fuck you, I'm a tourist)
>4 of us, 3 are girls, I sit up front next to McDrunk
>couldn't understand a thing he was saying
>probably took a shitty, slower path
>was like 16 dollars for ~2 miles
>no idea if I was fucked

There aren't any cabs where I live. I'm such a shit traveler.
>>
>be me in Berlin
>wandering around Neukölln
>near Hermannplatz
>need to take a piss
>only free bathroom within 5km is at the mcdonalds
>the door to the bathroom is pin coded
>ask the cashier for the pin
>go to unlock the door
>2 arabs are standing in front
>they act like they don't know how to get in
>try to enter code, green light, door won't open
>enter code again, green light
>1 arab tries fiddling with the door and making hand gestures
>meanwhile the arab behind me is going through my backpack and pockets
>turns out there was arab #3 inside holding the door shut

Fast forward one month

>near Hermannplatz again
>need to pee
>go to the mcdonalds
>get pin, go to bathroom
>it's the same fucking arabs
>this time I put my backpack on one shoulder and swing it to the front
>they do the same charade about not able to get in
>enter code, green light, suddenly ram my shoulder into the door
>it magically busts open and oh look there's arab #3 scrambling to make it look like he's washing his hands
>other 2 arabs scurry off

Fast forward several months later

>back near Hermannplatz
>need to pee
>forget about the arabs at first
>go to bathrooms
>there they are again
>I just stand there for a moment with a disappointed face
>they recognize me and walk off while puffing out their chests and constant eye contact

I walked by last Friday just to see if they were there and what do you know... of course they are. The sad part is that it must actually work a lot if they're there everyday doing this shit.
>>
>>1154319
nigga what? he supported the local economies, he got his change as they agreed on. you don't give scammers an inch
>>
>>1151888
I know this is just straight up fucking retard status, but as a generally intelligent person who was one moment from falling from this I'll let you know.

>try to find flat in Barcelona through facebook groups
>find a good deal from hot girl
>she says the landlady is out of town so I need to send a money order to South Africa
>seriously about to send a check for $1000 without ever seeing the apartment
>mention it in passing to Swedish (AKA straight up Iranian) buddy
>"dude no, you're not sending that. That's a fucking scam."
>ohword.jpg
>thanksbro.jpg

Another retarded one.

>胖子 pulls his car over to me waiting for a taxi in Nanjing
>I ask how much to go to the city center
>says we'll talk about it in the car
>I look over and see two filth-covered nongs shaking their heads mumbling "laowai"
>nope.png

Similar thing happened another time except I actually got in, I said how much and the guy said "how much do you have" so i opened the door while he was moving and shouted at him to pull over. Bitch ass nigga pulled over like I said.

Never acted got got to my knowledge, except for
>book tickets online for a Ha Long Bay cruise
>pay like $210
>Australians on the same boat said they paid like $90 in person.
>>
>>1155859
did you lose anything?
>>
>>cashier at bagel shop (ess-a-bagel in upper east side) gives me 1.65 in change, should've gotten 1.68.
>>call her out on it (noticed she didn't give me any pennies)
>>well...I don't have any pennies
>>I don't think that's justification
>>stare at her directly in the eye for 5-6 second

WHAT THE ACTUAL FUCK why 5 fucking pennies how poor are you?! In Europe we round the amount, you should get 1.70, but then why would you get mad at the cashier for that 5 pennies woaw
>>
I'd consider myself to be well travelled but i was done really, really nicely in San Francisco a few years ago. To this day I commend the effort.

>Walking along busy road
>Someone pulls up in a brand new BMW X5
>Slick looking Italian guy, well dressed, $5000 dollar watch, $400 sunglasses etc.
>Asks me for directions to the airport
>Show him on google maps really quick
>He takes pictures and thanks me
>Then says he has a few nice jackets in the back he doesn't want to pay customs on
>Shows me, three op notch brands retailing at thousands of dollars each
>Tells me he works for Emporio Armani and that I could return the jackets to the main store in downtown
>Calls a woman who apparently is a sales assistant there to confirm that I'd be coming
>asks me to give her a good tip
>Says I can have them for as cheap as I want

Now at this point the dedication goes into full overdrive, and I've already fallen for it

>Tell him I have no money but I really want them
>Lets me drive the X5 to an ATM
>Take out 700 dollars and hand it over (I think I'm getting a 1000% return so 700 seems fair for this gentleman)
>He gives me the jackets and wishes me well

>Jackets are fake
>>
>>1155964
Lmao how old were you?
>>
>>1152358

Happened to me when I was sixteen or seventeen. I just put the CD on the ground after a minute and walked away.

I'm in India now, so there are lots of scams, but here's one from home in the US:

>guy and his girlfriend approach me and my friend
>tell us they need to get a bus to Grand Rapids and had been mugged the night before
>I'm rolling my eyes and staring blankly at the ceiling of my car while my friend listens intently
>they say they need $25 only
>my friend says sure, but I have to go to an ATM
>guy asks if he can come with us; I firmly say no
>says there's an ATM right inside Macy's
>friend says he wants to go to his bank and then the guy says maybe $50 would help him out more
>pull away
>tell my friend he may as well have burned his cash
>explain to him how it was clearly a scam and he realises he almost got taken
>call the police to report them
>>
>tfw after being asked for change or a "few bucks" almost every day by tought me that you can't give these assholes the time of day, as soon as you see them walking up say "no." and shake your head and they'll go away instantly. Don't even give them the oportunity to ask, if you let them start a conversation with you it just gets worse. I don't have alot of money, I really don't feel like giving mine away so they can buy cigs, booze, and drugs. They know where to find food if they're actually hungry, and I'll give them food if I'm on vacation and i don't finish my meal at a restaraunt.

People who aren't familiar with being hassled for change think life is like a Humans of New York post and start talking to every 50 year old dumb ignorant drunk piece of shit like he's fucking Jesus in disguise instead of some lazy asshole who cares more about getting drunk than having his teeth or a place to sleep or talking to his kids. Or they're severely mwntally ill and taking to them for 10 minutes isn't going to magically make them get their life together, they need professional help.
>>
>>1155964
>https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=n3IX-e7s4z4
>https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xJYRkvQ5VEY
>https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ohQb12EOrdg

Oldest trick in the book, son
>>
>in London
>exiting chinatown
>some woman comes up to me
>face looks weird, full of acne scars and scabs
>says her purse got stolen and she only needs a couple pounds for the phone so she can report it to the police
>as time goes on, she starts coming up with other stuff like needing to ride the train back to her home town
>ends up asking me for like £30 at the end
>says she swears she'll mail it back to me
>starts telling me she actually works in a well known prestigious college, like Oxford or something
>at this point I'm sick of listening to her, stopped believing her 10 minutes ago
>toss her 2 pounds and walk off
>>
>>1155976
>tossing her 2 pound
Reasons like this are why scammers/beggers continue doing what they do. Just hold your ground and don't give them anything.
>>
>>1155977
Yeah, I know, I'm not yet well traveled enough that I can tell beggars to fuck off as soon as they talk to me.
Usually I try to save face and start telling THEM a bullshit story about how it's not my money or it's all I have or something. Probably because there aren't any beggars where I live.
Hopefully I'll get over it as time goes on.
>>
>>1155978

I usually just ignore them or pat my pockets and say "no luck, sorry." Sometimes I'll give them a dollar if they're funny as fuck.
>>
>>1155950
Just my headphones because they could only get into the first layer of my backpack before I turned around.
>>
>>1153901
This is common here, everything is payed. If you don't touch the rolls, you don't have to pay.
>>
>>1154001

>I threw up at the perfect time

Fucking kek. That tickled me.
>>
Some guy with a fake American accent at the Frankfurt train station always goes around and asks people if they can change his 2€ coin into 2 1€ coins so he can use the international phone.
Dude walks up the me every time and by now I always shrug him off with a "need money to call back home?", his face is priceless.
He obviously has some kind of brain damage from all the drugs he's on otherwise he wouldn't come back all the time.
>>
>>1156148
Where's the scam?
>>
>>1155976
She was a drug addict anon. Please don't facilitate the drug market.
>>
>>1155967

I was 20, am 26 now.
>>
>>1155973

I'm normally savvy enough but the fact that he let me drive a brand new X5 really threw me
>>
>>1155937
>Bitch ass nigga pulled over like I said.
It wasn't a robbery, they were just trying to rip you off on the fare. There wouldn't be any violence involved. I don't think I've ever heard of foreigners being mugged like that though I suppose it can happen.

>>book tickets online for a Ha Long Bay cruise
>>pay like $210
>>Australians on the same boat said they paid like $90 in person.
Welcome to Vietnam.
>>
>>1155952
it was a shitpost you dumb american
>>
fell for the change retard check in gran canaria when I was 16 or something. a taxi charged 60€ so I gave him 2 50€ bills, then he said I only gave him 55€ and I gave him another 5€ bill. Basically got scammed out of 45€. Didn't realize it until shortly afterwards, just when the taxi left and I checked my wallet.
>>
I got scammed pretty hard. I was backpacking in Thailand and decided to visit a ladyboy bar for laughs. One of the patrons there complimented me on my "dainty hands" and kept offering me drinks. I black out and woke up locked in a room surrounded by ladyboys. Most were drugged out and barely there.

I was there for 7 weeks. They put hormones in my food and made me dress up like a girl, wig, makeup, the whole nine yards. I had to listen to what I assumed were sissy hypno tapes, but they were in thai so they didn't really do anything. Eventually I escaped by pretending to be feminized at heart and eager to serve bar patrons. My first night as a working bar girl, after satisfying several well hung clients (yolo), I made my break for it and ran out, chased by muscular ladyboy bouncers. I smacked a man off a scooter, stole it and rode away. I ditched the bike about 50 km away, I had no money, and my visa, passport, ID, etc had all been taken by the bar. I had to freelance sell my boipucci to survive over the next few days as I made my way to the American embassy. The person at the embassy who helped me secure passage out of Thailand sighed and said I was the 5th person this week.
>>
>>1156652
You don't happen to be Swedish by any chance?
>>
>>1156652
Kek,
This... Isn't... Real... Right?
>>
>>1156821
hmm rlly mkeas u think......................
>>
>>1156838
From your typing it seems thinking is hard for you.
>>
>>1153210
>>1154470
Both Mexico City and Monterrey have Uber and Cabify (like Lyft but from LATAM), much safer and cheaper.
When I was in Russia I only used Uber, no scams, no language barrier, you only hop on and get to your destination. No wonder regular cabbies hate them, they practically reliquinshed their ancient scamming machine.
>>
>>1156845
And considering that the taxi industry hasn't innovated for a long while, they're not getting a part of the cut with new emerging business models like Uber
>>
>>1153351

There are actual tea ceremonies. Just remember this: If you are in China and a good looking female approaches you speaking really good english, and wants you to follow her somewhere, it is 99.9% of the time a scam.
Thread posts: 122
Thread images: 6

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.