[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

I am going to move to China and stay there for just one or two

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 10
Thread images: 2

File: chinese-640.gif (7KB, 640x426px) Image search: [Google]
chinese-640.gif
7KB, 640x426px
I am going to move to China and stay there for just one or two semesters. How long it depends on me and I haven't decided yet. Looking for some tips on what I should be aware of being rather poor. I have to take care of the food mostly though. The scholarship includes tuition, accommodation and books. The place of destination is Beijing. Any experience with the Chinese, anons?

And one extra question: is it possible to go to Tibet having a student visa? Would it be very expensive?
>>
There's not much you have to worry about since living in China is pretty cheap. You don't need alot of money to have a good time either. If you wanna go to Tibet, you're gonna need additional documentation since you're a foreigner. I'd recommend just taking the plane to Tibet, but if ur really on a budget, try taking the train for part of the journey.
>>
>>1151311
>Food
For take-away, there are plenty of cheap options although as with anywhere cheap food is usually full of oil, salt and not too much nutrition. To cook yourself, Beijing has plenty of expats so getting western-style groceries shouldn't be too hard, obviously it will cost more relative to shopping China-style but that does require a slightly greater knowledge of language, culture and food safety concerns.

>Poor
China isn't that expensive but it isn't dirt cheap either, at least not in Beijing. If your only main expense is food you shouldn't have to worry too much about money. Nightlife and eating out can be anywhere from moderately to extremely expensive depending on where you go and what you want to do.

>tibet
As said you need additional paperwork to enter the TAR, which may require you to be part of a group - check details. If this doesn't fit with you you can visit the western part of provinces such as Sichuan which have areas that are significantly tibetan so you can still experience that culture without having to go through the hassle of getting a permit for the TAR.

>The Chinese
The stereotype is that they are rude and inconsiderate and that does kinda applyi n crowd situations, you will find after living there for a while and being surrounded by so many strangers all the time does kinda change your outlook a bit. However on an individual level Chinese people are generally pretty chill, despite the image of government control things are actually pretty loose, authorities don't care too much what you do as a foreigner as long as you aren't stirring up trouble with the locals. I suggest you make an effort to make some Chinese friends, it will open doors that will be closed if you just stay in your international student/expat bubble (which you can kinda do in Beijing if you want). Locals in Beijing generally won't be too curious about foreigners but if you travel outside there be prepared for lots of attention.
>>
>>1151327
>eating out
I should say eating out at legit restaurants, not hole-in-the-wall joints. But if you know where to go you can get a good meal and drinks for reasonable price.
>>
>>1151327
>women
Finally since people always ask about this, my 2c. There are some smoking hot women in China but on average I wouldn't say they're especially attractive. Fashion isn't generally to my taste, it's either tacky and ostentatious, mismatched and unflattering, or goes for the whole 'cutesy'/little girl thing. As for picking up women if you're an attractive dude you shouldn't have issues, but still probably not as easy as being an attractive foreigner in the west. In most places being a foreigner has a lot of appeal but Beijing less so due to the number of expats. Regardless you'll need to make an effort to adjust to the different standards and culture around dating, look that up if you're really interested.

Sage for triple post.
>>
>>1151330
I'd like to add, if you're staying quite some time, don't get in trouble with Chinese girls, they can destroy you and there will be nothing you can do about it.
>>
>>1151311
Why do you want to go to Tibet?
All the Tibetans are gone to India, PRC has destroyed most of the Tibetan temples, and has populated Tibet with Chinese. Also you may not be able to go into Tibet without going through a shit ton of bureaucracy.
If you are looking to immerse yourself in Tibetan culture, try Dharamsala.
>>
>>1151327
>The stereotype is that they are rude and inconsiderate and that does kinda applyi n crowd situations
I am from Hong Kong and this!!! Mainlanders are like that.
>>
File: tibet-panorama.jpg (436KB, 1978x1000px) Image search: [Google]
tibet-panorama.jpg
436KB, 1978x1000px
>>1151327
>>1151328
>>1151330
>>1151441
Thanks man. How about dairy? I don't eat meat but I eat a lot of dairy.Hope milk and cottage cheese are not some luxury goods out there

>>1151575
I learnt Chinese mostly because of a compromise. The language that is relatively close, could help me find a job and let me in Tibet. I'm interested in Tibet and Mongolia since ever. And Lhasa is just on my bucket list. I'll see the Himalayas and Dharamsala another time but now I have not to waste the opportunity to see Tibet itself
>>
>>1151646
Milk products are becoming increasingly popular in China however processed/long-life products are the majority of what's available. Fresh milk and decent cheese aren't easy to find in most of the country but again due to the expat influence you shouldn't have too much trouble finding it in Beijing. I wouldn't count on it being cheap but it should be affordable enough to get your occasional comfort food fix. Just bear in mind if you go for a long time without drinking milk your ability to handle lactose decreases, especially if you're outside your teens, so be careful lest ye get some embarrassing diarrhea.
Thread posts: 10
Thread images: 2

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.