/script>
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Hey /trv/ picture-takers! My camera is ded, need to grab a new

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 9
Thread images: 1

File: P1040434.jpg (6MB, 4608x3456px) Image search: [Google]
P1040434.jpg
6MB, 4608x3456px
Hey /trv/ picture-takers!

My camera is ded, need to grab a new one. Do not want to "just use my phone," want a real camera that does camera shit. Like a fair amount of zoom and some fune features to play with, like long exposures or time-lapse video ro whatever.

What do you guys use that I ought to look at?

>>
Depends on your budget and how big of a camera you are willing to lug around.

This ishould be asked on /p/. Find a gear thread and state your requirements.
>>
>>1149004
Thanks. I'd still be interested in what /trv/ uses -- I can figure tech specs and all, but would like experiences with cameras in the travel field.

Weight is not a huge issue, 'm not into lugging extra lenses and the like. Don't need a "rugged" water proof, I have the Lumix waterproof for those situations.

There have been enough good pics posted here that there must be some folks who like their camera.
>>
>>1148961
get a used one - from a family member or a friend
just about any SLR will do
- the older and rougher it looks the better
idea being that no one will want to steal it (or will be less likely to)
there is no worse feeling as a traveller (for me anyway) than in having the locals gawk at your $1,000 SLR camera
even more noticeable in a 3rd world country
its like having a giant poster wrapped around your neck that says 'hey, I got more money than you, this thing around me neck can feed your family for two years and buy you a car too'
- personally, I travel with an old Olympus SLR I have had for years, the labels have fallen off, the view screen finder is roughed up and the shine on the thing has dulled considerably
- if you think a big expensive camera will give you great pictures, that is your choice - i've taken great images with my old Olympus
- it's like penis size, its not how big you are, its what you do with your equipment that makes the difference ;)
>>
OP, you seem like an unpleasant person,. but I'm going to help you, in a way.

>still haven't mentioned a budged
Even though you replied

>wants cool settings
>doesn't want to haul lenses
Do you know the dimensions difference between a macro and a telephoto lens?

And yes, /p/ is the right place. There's nothing inherent in photography that differs with travelling.

From photography or backpacks, the latter belongs to /trv/ more, but I'd even suggest going to /out/ for such equipment, unless it's carry-on specific.

Also literally all of the features you've listed are available on smartphones, except maybe exposers, but seeing the way you type - you don't have a lot of experience with that.
>>
>>1149593
>OP, you seem like an unpleasant person,. but I'm going to help you, in a way.

Sorry. And thanks, in a way.

>>still haven't mentioned a budged
>Even though you replied
Fair enough, maybe upo to around $500, let's say. Obviously spending less for equal quallity is better than spending more than needed. but something in that range won't break the bank.

>>wants cool settings
>>doesn't want to haul lenses

Yeah Not sure why that confuses you. I am o0ot a camera geek, and do not want to be carrying extra lenses and changing lenses -- all-in-one is fine. But I do want it to be able to do some fun stuff such as mentioned -- two cameras back the one I had could force the lens to remain open for 30 seconds or so, the more recent one couldn't do that, I missed it. So that sort of feature is fun to have.

>Do you know the dimensions difference between a macro and a telephoto lens?

No, never have needed to know that. Sorry if that harelips you for some reason.

>And yes, /p/ is the right place. There's nothing inherent in photography that differs with travelling.

Sure there is -- what you use it for. Wanting to tote it around the world with you. Travel-type stuff.

>From photography or backpacks, the latter belongs to /trv/ more, but I'd even suggest going to /out/ for such equipment, unless it's carry-on specific.

I might try that, thank you.

>Also literally all of the features you've listed are available on smartphones, except maybe exposers, but seeing the way you type - you don't have a lot of experience with that.

Last I looked, smartphones had little or no optical zoom. The Everybody says "My phone takes pictures as good as a regular camera now," and then you look at the pictures and they just don't. So that is not an option for me.

But thanks for your semi-friendly reply.
>>
Check out the Nikon CoolPix range like the P900. Goes up to something crazy between 2000-4000mm zoom while the biggest zoom lens on a DSLR is usually 200mm.
Check the features not sure how it is with exposures.

I have a Nikon d5300 and am honestly very impressed, even timelapse inbuilt. Upgrading to Canon 70d for continual auto-focus while filming to make some cool vids.
>>
I recommend a mirrorless camera, they're cheap, lightweight, user-friendly but can do all of the "cool pro shit" dslrs can do. Perfect travel cameras. I use Olympus om-d em10 personally.
>>
>>1150682
>mirrorless
>cheap
Dunno what planet you're living on but memecameras are quite a bit pricier than an entry level last-generation DSLR option

Maybe if you're some /p/ autist who thinks they're a totally affordable alternative to a "normal" full frame DSLR but some people think even $500 is a lot to spend on a camera
Thread posts: 9
Thread images: 1

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.