[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Whats it like traveling to and moving to Guam? I want to be as

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 19
Thread images: 1

File: Guam_Flag.jpg (351KB, 3034x2043px) Image search: [Google]
Guam_Flag.jpg
351KB, 3034x2043px
Whats it like traveling to and moving to Guam? I want to be as close to Asia without leaving the States. Can I still vote if I was born in the States proper?
>>
>>1147887

Traveling: Guam is not so interesting in and of itself. You can cover pretty much everything in 2 days. Guam however is good as a staging point to go to other Micronesian islands.

Moving to: Cost of living is fairly low, and jobs (especially in the tourism industry) are easy to get. But there's not a lot to do there, so it's easy to get island fever.

Close to Asia: Geographically, yes. But getting to Asia (apart from Japan) is a pain in the ass as there aren't any flights to most countries. So, you have to transit and it isn't cheap.

Can I still vote: If you were born in the 50 US states, yes, via absentee ballot.

If you have any specific questions, ask away. I lived there for a long time and know a lot about it.
>>
>>1147896
What are the chances of getting beachfront property?

Can you travel to the other islands casually enough to lessen the island fever?

Does it have all the goods and services you need to live comfortably?

Are the natives as butthurt as the ones I encounter sometimes?
>>
Also, how is the internet?
>>
>>1148020
>>1148022

Beachfront property: It's possible, yes, but it won't be cheap. If you do get it, be prepared for storm surge damage -- Guam gets a lot of typhoons.

Travel to other islands: Of course. It's easy. But they're islands, so your island fever won't be all that diminished. You can easily travel to Japan, Manila, and Honolulu; these might be better choices.

Goods and services: Basic services (medical, dental, etc.) yes. Beyond those, you need to be a little more specific as to what you're asking about. Electricity is always an issue there -- plenty of blackouts/brownouts. Goods: No problem, although the selection in grocery stores isn't great and fruits/vegetables are usually poor quality.

Butthurt natives: Native people in Guam are the Chamorros, and they run the place (it's very, very difficult to get a job in government -- the island's largest employer -- if you aren't a local). There isn't too much butthurt among them, although it being (((current year))) there's always going to be 5%-10% muh oppression types around.

Internet: Adequate, but not fast, at least when I was living there. I have no idea how much this has changed.

Keep in mind that Guam's population is around 150K and almost everything needs to be imported from off-island -- small population + logistics inherently limit a lot.
>>
>>1148217
I thought the largest employer was the US military.
>>
>>1148219

In terms of total # of people working, yes. However, the number of local hires working on the Navy/Air Force bases on the island is rather small.
>>
>>1148224

I should clarify that as "the number of local hires working for the US government on the bases is rather small." There's a greater number of locals working on the bases, for local companies that have won various service contracts (especially grounds and facilities maintenance). The island's largest employer (of people hired locally, to work locally) is the Government of Guam -- GovGuam for short.
>>
Chamorro here. Most of us live on the mainland now. I'm from Saipan and not Guam however.

Go live there, the people are awesome and people's perspective of the world is completely different from the rest of the US.
>>
>>1148328

Hafa Adai!
>>
>>1148328
I'm considering moving to Saipan and getting my RN license at your college.

Anything that might persuade/dissuade me?
>>
>>1148332
Hafa dai!

I haven't been back to the islands in decades. It gets harder and harder to live there. After the last typhoon my family who's on Saipan didn't have power for months. You won't find better people in terms of really wanting to help you after a disaster since they happen so often. There's a different level of community that you won't find in most of the US.

It's a strange mixture of poverty and paradise in America. I think the minimum wage is still barely above $3 an hour and cost of goods is inflated something like 300%.

The Kmart on Guam is the largest in the world. If you're interested in diving or other aquatic /out/ activities there aren't many better places to live.
>>
>>1148351
I can't speak to how much things have changed, but all certificates and requirements are nationally recognized. My mother who went to the Marianas College back in the 80s still had transferrable credits to the University of Illinois in 2008.

The University of Guam is a land grant University, so it's well funded. There aren't many majors but what it has from what I know it does well. Don't expect an ivy league education out of any of these places but it's on par with most state colleges.
>>
>>1148360

Hafa back at you! Guam here, although I haven't been back for 10 years now. The wife has been back a few times, though, including last month. She says it's pretty much the same, although with a lot of new hotels and way more Chinese and Korean tourists (and not so many Japanese as before).

>>After the last typhoon

Yeah, they really got hammered there. I've been through over a dozen of them on Guam, so I felt their pain. You're right about the community spirit -- Guam's the same, people really help each other out.

>>1148351

The other anon is right, credits will transfer. I don't know much about the college in the CNMI, but do know a bit about the University of Guam (UoG). Its Marine Biology program is pretty good; the rest of it is kind of meh. If you take your degree at either, your employment opportunities locally (CNMI and Guam) may be limited as there's not a whole hell of a lot of medical facilities in either location. If looking to move back to the mainland instead, you might also have some issues as very few people in the US have ever heard of Guam (much less Saipan, Rota, and Tinian). Still, it's worth investigating -- you should really talk to people in the RN/medical fields about the advisability of attending either school.
>>
>>1148374
Would it be okay, for me as an outsider, to learn the language? I've heard some people have hangups about that.
>>
>>1148746
All Chamorro know english. But yes, nobody would be upset at you learning. We're a strangely chill culture. The Japanese sent out an advanced chamorro scouting party from saipan to check out the landing sites on guam, who turned around and informed on them.

They were tortured and decapitated.

90% of us love the US. You would be hard pressed to find people who wouldn't want to help you out.
>>
Can I get Japanese beer in Guam?
>>
>>1148360
What are you guys going to do if KMart goes under?
>>
>>1148857
:( Why where the Chamorro so bro tier to the States?
Thread posts: 19
Thread images: 1

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.