/script>
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Moved to the UK and been living in Bristol for the last month.

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 17
Thread images: 2

Moved to the UK and been living in Bristol for the last month.
I don't know exactly why, but I don't like Bristol at all. I don't like it's layout (look at the google maps of Bristol City Centre for example), the suburbs are depressing as fuck, the weather is shit, lots of old buildings and old houses everywhere, which I dislike, dreary and depressing atmosphere everywhere. In short, I'm just not feeling it. Is all of the UK the same? Is there a city with a more modern feel and where the weather is a at least a little bit better?
For reference I have lived in Canada before, specifically in Vancouver and absolutely loved it. Just for reference I arrived to Vancouver on winter, and then experienced summer. Winter in Vancouver feels less depressing to me that summer in Bristol. Am I crazy? Should I just leave and never come back? Before arriving to Bristol I had all these plans of going to London and Wales and Northern Ireland. Now I just imagine the same dreary depressing atmosphere everywhere in the UK and just want to leave.
>>
OP here, also, residential areas are SO FUCKING QUIET. Don't get me wrong, it's not that I'm a loud troglodyte or anything like that, but man, they feel like ghost towns. I walk around the suburbs and rarely hear a single sound, everywhere feels so lonely and depressing.
>>
UK is the same everywhere, leave before you become another soulless resident
>>
>>1146124
but WHY? Why is it so depressing everywhere? And is there no place in the UK that is not depressing?
>>
I live in London

The countryside is great
The towns and cities are miserable shitpiles that you must avoid at all costs (unless you live in a nice wealthy/middle-class area in Britain)

Essentially everything in the UK was built either during housing pressures or the 60s/70s, so everything looks like shit unless it was built before 1914

We can't control the weather but at least you don't live in Scotland
>>
>>1146128
Sorry, I meant
The only nice places within towns/cities are wealthy/middle-class areas or old areas (aka built before 1914)

The UK is very ugly for a developed country
>>
>>1146129
Thanks man, maybe I'll try that. See if I like it better.
>>
>>1139401

^the old thread
>>
The weather is great. Only have to sweat one week every year. One of the only good things about the country.
>>
>>1146116
>being depressed because of the weather
I've lived in deserts, frozen tundras, and quite a few things inbetween. Weather has never effected my time. That is just an excuse for the lack of creativity, and industry. I personally love rain and people know me to be an optimistic and cheery mofo.

Sure, shit aesthetics can get you down, build your own sanctuary within your walls. Make it modern. Get into the interior design of your abode. Use bright colors and lots of lighting if you're that stuck on it. Than go meet other fun people.

You can try escapism, but I think you'll benefit more adapting.
>>
>>1146116
Bristol is probably one of the better areas as far as non-London major cities without as much depression. I say that but Weston is just down the road and it's a drug-filled depression hotzone.

London is good, but really UK is all about the inside. Look for things to do that are in the city which are about chilling back, drinking and partying. It's not a great place for wild outdoor parties or stuff - happens but not often.

In all honesty, Manchester and London are better (Birmingham is fucking awful). I've lived in Suffolk, Manchester, Bristol, London (SW19 and Fulham), throughout Kent and spent several years in Scotland too. It's good in the summer but depressing for 8-10 months of the year to be honest and that's why I now live in Australia.

Also, the fact all the house look identical and boring fucking annoys the hell out of me. Every time I go back I look out the window to see red brick everywhere and the overwhelming sense of dull creeps over me.

How old are you OP and are you socially awkward? If you're 16-20 join a rugby team, go drinking and clubbing and you'll forget the place is depressing as fuck - actually, it's what most people do, that's why the UK has such a large drinking reputation. Drink ales.
>>
The Essex area is pretty nice
>>
>>1146127
The south west countryside and the scottish highlands
>>
File: DSC04225.jpg (4MB, 3872x2592px) Image search: [Google]
DSC04225.jpg
4MB, 3872x2592px
>>1146116

Oh man, I currently live in Bristol (lived in quite a few other cities around the uk in the past) I gotta tell you, if youre looking for modern/interesting cities in the UK youre choices are pretty much L:ondon, Bristol, Manchester, Brighton; there all sort of slightly different but on the whole pretty much the same.

Get out of the city, mate. Go check out Cheddar gorge, biggest gorge in the UK. Thats a nice little 40 min trip from the centre. Otherwise the countryside in south wales/the west country is pretty good.

You keep mentioning the suburbs, where you living? Most of the good stuff is happening in the centre, Gloucester road, stokes croft, bedminster, totterdown, southville, clifton, etc. Suburbs anywhere are a bit shit. Go explore my man!

If you want, list your interests and ill try recommend some stuff
>>
>>1146120
Maybe it's just what I'm used to but that's exactly how things should be.

Anyway, our country is dreary and depressing, and that's why it's great.
>>
I had to laugh at OP because I've lived in Bristol all my life and he's spot on.
>>
File: image.jpg (37KB, 300x255px) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
37KB, 300x255px
I'm sorry I can't help Anon as I live I'm England (Leicester ) and would happily move to Briztolia . It has a great underground party scene, check out the Black Swan and the free parties at the back of Lakota. There are always big music events and artists playing. Live Big Lez show in November . It's the most liberal and laid back city in the UK.
Thread posts: 17
Thread images: 2

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.