[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Hey /trv/, So some background first, I'm traveling to Colombia

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 26
Thread images: 4

File: Colombia_0.jpg (11KB, 341x334px) Image search: [Google]
Colombia_0.jpg
11KB, 341x334px
Hey /trv/,

So some background first, I'm traveling to Colombia for a week, and will be in the cities of Bogota and Cartagena with my girlfriend. I speak and understand a fair amount of Spanish, and will be there to explore the cities and do typical tourist stuff. So here comes the potential issue; I'm Black, and so is my gf.

From what I've read this might be a problem, and was wondering if I should be too concerned about enjoying our time there. Also, does /trv/ have any tips when it comes to traveling to Bogota and Cartagena?
>>
>>1145277

Haha, are you kidding? You'll fit right in, especially in Cartagena. There are plenty of black people all across the country, but they're more concentrated along the coast. I suppose racism could be an issue but whatever. Just don't fuck with anybody or cause trouble and I'm sure you'll be left alone. Latin American countries, especially those closer to the Caribbean, are quite diverse. Lots of blacks, whites, Mestizos, whatever.
>>
What? That's no problem at all, Cartagena is at least half black and Bogota has so many skin tones you find it really hard to care about that. There is some racism but overall people here like sucking foreigner dick and you will probably have people be friendly to you.

Some tips: Don't be a first world sissy: Traffic is shit, streets are dirty and people are loud, get used to it.
>>
>>1145277

Don't waste too much time in Cartagena. Its historic city centre is nice, but it is one of the touristiests cities. Not much to do and overpriced.
What are you gonna do in Bogota? Why don't you go to Medellin?
>>
>>1145277
Second race not being a problem. Colombia, at least the parts and folks I experienced, is among the least racist places I have been.

Cartagena is hot and humid as fuck -- very pretty, but can be Hellish during the day.

Second the guy who mentioned Medellin.
>>
Cartegena is unbelievably hot FWIW. I've been in Colombia and I don't know any foreigners that actually liked the place because of the humidity.

Better is Santa Marta. Everyone seems to love it there. And Medellin instead of Bogota.

Unless you've used your Spanish in Latin America with some success before, don't expect it to be very useful at first. Especially in the coastal areas - even Colombians from other parts of the country have issues understanding them.
>>
Don't buy inane shit.

Medellin is the best place you can visit, Bogota is kinda meh desu.
>>
>>1145362
>Traffic is shit, streets are dirty and people are loud, get used to it.
OP here. I'm a nigger, I'm used to dirty loud people
>>
>>1145277

Why only one week? If you don't fly, just remember that going to Bogota from Cartagena by bus takes you about 16 hours.
>>
>>1146236

I liked Bogota a lot more than Medellin.

>>1146098

Santa Marta is a poo-tier stop-off for people going to Tayrona and Minca.
>>
>>1146330
Likes Bogota more than Medellin? Explain yourself, sir.
>>
>>1145277

been there last year for 6 weeks

bogota is meh to ok, but not worth more than some days.
bike tour and graffity tour i'd recommend.
cartagena: tourist shit, hiking in santa marta is nice thou.
concerning your potential issue: i see none
>i'm white
>>
>>1146338

Dunno. I made a lot of friends in Bogota and felt that the locals were more friendly than in Medellin. All I had to do was sit down in the evenings in a relatively busy public square or along a pedestrian street and I'd make new friends within minutes. Couldn't walk straight ahead in a bar without Colombians offering me drinks or trying to talk - men and women alike.

Medellin was definitely prettier and had better weather, but I liked Bogota more on the whole.
>>
>>1145277

How bad is crime in colombia? I look like a gringo but I speak pretty good spanish.

I heard to be careful of the coastal cities.
>>
File: IMG_5301.jpg (3MB, 3264x2448px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_5301.jpg
3MB, 3264x2448px
>>1146452

Well, if you don't walk around at night in the poorer areas showing your iPhone and diamond necklace, you should be fine, even as gringo.
The most dangerous thing is traffic. Pic related, it's my cab.
>>
Mate I'm a black colombian you'll be just fine. For bogotá I would recommend planning ahead to which places you want to go and what time because getting around the city can take you hours, also pack for cold weather. Cartagena is a lot smaller so you have more time to walk around and sightsee, go to the beach there.

Take this advice from a person born in cartagena living in barranquilla and having lived in bogotá
>>
Do not walk alone, petty theft is absolutely rampant.

Collages is the go to place to get uh... stuff Columbia is famous for and the cops dont care.

What else, most females only care about money and if You try to play the guy with money NEVER EVER leave Your drink alone, you will be drugged and robbed.

Go to Youtube and search up "Most scary drug" by Vice, Columbia is known for that.
>>
>>1146452
I've been living in a less touristy area of Medellin for 5 weeks now and everything I've seen has been completely fine. I've heard of a couple people being robbed here and there but it's really not bad at all. I walk alone at night all the time and so do really cute girls.

You just need to be aware of the bad areas - there are good and bad neighborhoods in each city, and in some cities you should just take taxis door to door at night. Just ask the locals. If you happen to get mugged DO NOT RESIST, that's how people get killed.

When reading about Colombia definitely check the publication date - it's made massive advances in just the last 5 years in terms of safety. But now with even the war with FARC ending it seems fine to me.
>>
Has anyone been to Barranquilla?

Def want to check some cool coastal cities
>>
>>1147362

I haven't been there but heard it is boring and not beautiful. Friend got stuck there because his plane had to land there due to bad weather. He didn't like it at all.
>>
Is it just Medellin or are Colombian girls abnormally difficult to hook up with in general? They're absolutely gorgeous and come off as quite sweet, but goddamn they seem hard to pin down compared to other countries.
>>
>>1145277
>Black
Well, Bogotá is 99% white/mestizo, so you might indeed get some funny looks here and there, but nothing else.
It would be kinda weird because people expect gringos to be blue eyed and blond haired whites.
It's a shame you don't have much time. I'd definitely recommend visiting some less known but in my opinion better places, like Manizales, Armenia, Tunja, Pasto.
I hope you go with someone that has some experience in the transmilenio, it's easy to get lost or waste lots of time if you pick the wrong bus.
>>
File: colombian-jungle.jpg (271KB, 1024x768px) Image search: [Google]
colombian-jungle.jpg
271KB, 1024x768px
What are some good places in colombia for nature ?

I really want to explore some jungles or exotic beaches
>>
File: caño cristales.jpg (72KB, 560x308px) Image search: [Google]
caño cristales.jpg
72KB, 560x308px
>>1148603
Parque nacional de los nevados
Parque del café
Sierra nevada de Santa Marta
Ciudad perdida
Cabo de la vela
If you want to visit the amazon jungle you could go to Leticia by plane and then ride boats through the jungle, with the option of visiting Brazil and Peru too.

If you want something very unique that you won't find anywhere else, i'd recommend caño cristales, which some consider the most beautiful river in the world (pic related).

Also, there's an official travel guide for the country where you can look for destinations according to your interests, you can find it here:
http://www.colombia.travel/en
>>
>>1147846
I hooked up with a local girl in Cartagena who even split the cost of a room for the night
>>
>>1146599
>This guy knows all about Colombia but can not spell it correctly.

Yeah, no, fuck off.
Thread posts: 26
Thread images: 4

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.