[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Hello /trv/ I'd like to visit this isolated corridor some

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 25
Thread images: 10

File: Wakhan_Corridor_Map.jpg (266KB, 1026x735px) Image search: [Google]
Wakhan_Corridor_Map.jpg
266KB, 1026x735px
Hello /trv/

I'd like to visit this isolated corridor some day. I've done long treks before, so I'm not too worried about that. What I'm interested in is accessibility, general dangers and possibilities to cross over into neighbouring countries.
Any experienced or knowledgeable anons out there?
>>
>>1144514
From a bit of research it appears to be pretty inaccessible and dangerous.
The border with China is closed and it looks like you can't cross into Pakistan or Tajikistan legally.
It's inhabited principally by nomads.
It features a strong Taliban insurgency.
It is basically ungoverned.

Seems pretty sketchy m8.

Good luck.
>>
>>1144533
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/War_in_Afghanistan_(2015%E2%80%93present)
Wikipedia doesn't show taliban in the very corridor. However, just because it's controlled by the government doesn't mean there is no taliban influence or violence.
>>
>>1144533
Actually it's pretty much the only region in the entirety of Afghanistan which has no Taliban presence. It would be really hard for them to find support among the locals there when they observe a much less strict sect of Islam and care about nothing other than their herds. I wouldn't be surprised if most nomads there have no idea there was ever a war.
>>
>>1144514
Nigga if you were a Real Traveler you'd know that's where the best drugs on earth are cultivated.

Kush mountains? Expect good weed, a lot of ak's, heroin, opium, general anarchy, an excellent chance of getting shot, and the occasional hippy. Do not trust these hippies.

You'll also get wicked high for pennies.
>>
>>1144514
You'll die. Tribal warlords will kidnap you and sell you to the Taliban or whatever other faction that offers them the most money. You'll be extorted for millions to your western government and when that falls through you'll then be decapitated on camera for propaganda purposes.
>>
Heh. Oh shit. I'm Pakistani, and I VERY STRONGLY advise you not to to there. i just got back from a hiking trip in january and I was not allowed to go any farther north than Kaghan. I wanted to hit Saif-ul-muluk in Naran, but even with trying to bribe the police officer he would not let me pass. He will mos def not let a foreigner pass. you could take a plane run by pia to Gilgit baltistan or mayber Skardu, but both those places are guarded heavily and tourists are not allowed to leave them. honestly, you'd have to be pretty clandestine to go past these checkpoints, and in the end it would not end well for you. ESPECIALLY in the wakhan corridor as it is a place close to the kargil region as well, and espionage is actually a legit huge thing there. you are most likely going to get found out. You will get shaken down. Alternatively, i really recommend pakistan south of karimabad and north of islamabad. wonderful places. i'll post some of my trip on this thread
>>
File: 20151127_213105.jpg (4MB, 5312x2988px) Image search: [Google]
20151127_213105.jpg
4MB, 5312x2988px
>>
File: 20151127_234028.jpg (6MB, 5312x2988px) Image search: [Google]
20151127_234028.jpg
6MB, 5312x2988px
>>
File: 1401304369772.jpg (18KB, 284x339px) Image search: [Google]
1401304369772.jpg
18KB, 284x339px
>>1144717
>>1144718
>>1144719
Thanks for the post anon, I was looking to get some local input. Any idea if things are this bad as well on the Tajikistan side of the corridor? I suppose I'll get shot if I try to enter from China too.
Have you ever been to Afghanistan?
>>
>>1144779
Yeah, nevermind the China border, seems it's just a mountain pass with no roads and armed chinese military patrols.
>>
> going to some random ass woods with nothing special about them just so you can brag about that "off the beaten road" place you went

kill people with low iqs please
>>
>>1144783
Dont worry, I'll probably die there anyway. Keep up with the thread, anon.
>>
Someone will assume you are a spy and you will be torrtured to death, enjoy anon.
>>
>>1144514
I've been there a month ago
>dangers
It's not dangerous at all, the only danger is the winter conditions and the annoyance of police that have a shitload of checkpoints in that area
Taliban are confined at least 100 kilometers from the border, needless to say, the afghani part in that area is the most remote in the country
>accessibility
If you're driving your best bet is a 4 wheel drive car otherwise you're fucked, there are lots of bikers and cyclists there as well, for hitchhiking do it before reaching khoroug or from khoroug into ishkoshim, afterwards hitching a car into the direction of murghab becomes hard, after murghab it becomes almost impossible
>possibilities to cross into other countries
I'm not sure about pakistan, technically you can but it's a very small part of pakistan and i'm not sure if there's a border crossing
As for afghanistan, you can apply for a visa in the afghani consulate in khoroug, but you're gonna pay a shitload of money to see basically nothing, first of all like 200 dollars for the visa, then another couple of hundreds for permits to go into some other areas on the other side, and money for a guide, so you end up paying at least like 500 dollars for seeing essentially more or less the same thing on the tajik side but you get to meet some nice kyrgyz nomads, and very limited lodging and dining options

Hit me up if you need anything senpai
>>
File: 1328224810311.png (121KB, 256x274px) Image search: [Google]
1328224810311.png
121KB, 256x274px
>>1144717
>>1144806
Please tell us more about your travels
>>
File: in the pamir highway.jpg (120KB, 960x960px) Image search: [Google]
in the pamir highway.jpg
120KB, 960x960px
>>1144813
I was in central asia for two months, started in bishkek kyrgyzstan, took a car, did a circular route where i covered both tajikstan and kyrgyzstan and back to bishkek, then i went to southern kazakhstan and afterwards ended in uzbekistan basically
What would you like to know in detail?
>>
File: 1411232111819.png (3MB, 2256x1496px) Image search: [Google]
1411232111819.png
3MB, 2256x1496px
>>1144806
>>1144820
OP here, thanks a lot anon. Questions:

>How close did you get to the afghan border?
>Were you travelling alone?
>How much did the car and fuel cost for your trip?
>Which of the countries you visited did you enjoy most? Could you post a short recap per country?
>Any areas to avoid?

Pic not related.
>>
File: afghani villages.jpg (18KB, 274x206px) Image search: [Google]
afghani villages.jpg
18KB, 274x206px
>>1144826
>How close did you get to the afghan border?
Just a river cross, the narrowest was like 5 metres, pic related behind me afghani villages
>Were you travelling alone?
for the most part yea, i met lots of travellers and sometimes we travelled together
>How much did the car and fuel cost for your trip?
the car was something like 100 dollars a day, it was a big car and there are only two or three companies there that rents you a 4x4 that let's you cross borders with it, it was a nice experience driving the pamir highway, but i think if you're on a budget just use transport
>Which of the countries you visited did you enjoy most? Could you post a short recap per country?
sure thing

Kyrgyzstan
>amazing nature, lots of mountains and high lakes
>nomads, yurts, horses
>amazing people
>bishkek is a really cool and laid-back city, it has a soviet city feel to it, but it was my favorite capital in the region
>Horse trekking is a must, also try the Qumus milk
Tajikstan
>hot women in dushanbe
>pamir mountains and wakhan corridor
>murghab gives the "edge of the world town" vibe to it
>pictures of the president every fucking where
>buy the 1.5L plastic bottled beer in the supermarket that comes with nuts for 10 sommonis

Uzbekistan
>police everywhere especially in the big cities
>somewhat hard to get visa and airport rituals but easier than turkmenistan
>great history, great architecture in Bukhara, Samarkand, Khiva
>best plov dish in central asia
>forced cotton picking season in september, country is hot and is mostly desert if nature is your thing then it's not worth it
>everyone i met said they got food poisoning in uzbekistan, i didn't personally i think they're soft cunts

Kazakhstan
>only spent time in almaty
>very developed city, european feel to it
>abit more expensive compared to the other places but still cheap
>surrounded by mountains, can go out the city and do hiking in sharin canyon which is cool

1/2
>>
>>1144826
I enjoyed all the places i've been into, especially tajikstan and kyrgyzstan, i think i should've spent more time in tajikstan but was strained by time to get back to kyrgyzstan, so yea i'd recommend these two countries the most, you can easily hike around the wakhan corridor for at least a week there, lots of places to camp and you'll meet lots of travellers in many different places because more or less everyone is going the same way, you become a family which i miss the most about that part of the world, sometimes you see travellers randomly in different countries and catch up with what happened and all that, really great vibe.

All of these countries were cheap, especially kyrgyzstan and uzbekistan, 95% of the people at least don't speak english, the rest speak few words, everyone speaks russian there, so try to learn some phrases

For the wakhan corridor in addition to the tajik visa you need a special permit for the GBAO autonomous region, you can get it from tajik embassies, however i got mine from a police precinct in dushanbe, you need to have it with you all the times there because it's inspected with your passport
>Any areas to avoid?
Not really, just practice common sense, people there are very nice and would go out of their way to help you or invite you to their homes, try to avoid the police especially in uzbekistan and the osh bazaar in bishkek
Where are you going exactly? i can recommend some hostels
>>
>>1144826
The other was a bit extreme, but yes, there is no good reason to post "pic not related" on a followup post.
>>
>>1144828
>>1144832
Thanks again anon.
>Where are you going exactly
No where as of yet, but your offer seemed like a good opportunity to gather some information on the general area. Please post your hostel recommendations, I'll gladly save them as well.
>>
File: khalai khum guesthouse.jpg (152KB, 960x720px) Image search: [Google]
khalai khum guesthouse.jpg
152KB, 960x720px
>>1144836
Bishkek: interhouse bishkek, you can sleep on the couch for 5 dollars if you don't want to pay for dorm
Osh: osh guesthouse
Karakol: duet hostel
Cholpon-ata: apple hostel
Toktogul: just camp there
Song-kul: just camp there, unless you want to pay 15 dollars for a yurt
Kochkor: any CBT affiliated guesthouse

Dushanbe: green house hostel
Khorug: pamir lodge
Khalai khum: midway between dushanbe and khorug, i recommend staying there for a night because the ride is long, any guesthouse will do, there's one next to the river for 15 dollars including breakfast and dinner
Ishkoshim: hani's place
Murghab: pamir hotel
Almaty: amigo hostel almaty (cheapest in town)
Tashkent: topchan hostel
Bukhara: Rustam & Zukhra
Samarkand: B&B Bahodir
Khiva: Lali-opa guesthouse

I recommend getting a copy of LonelyPlanet's central asia, almost everyone i met there had a copy and it included the places where everyone goes, good maps including routes and all that stuff
>>
bumping for interest
>>
>>1144717
> close to kargil
you idiot
Thread posts: 25
Thread images: 10

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.