[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Planing a trip all around Ireland. Any advice? What should I

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 28
Thread images: 6

File: irelandsat.jpg (32KB, 336x433px) Image search: [Google]
irelandsat.jpg
32KB, 336x433px
Planing a trip all around Ireland. Any advice? What should I make sure I don't miss?
>>
the giants causeway is amazing. visited it a couple of years back
>>
If its the real Ireland you want to see.
Go here http://villageofthemonks.com
>>
>>1144328
dont be english
>>
Any of the south-western peninsulas (Kerry, West Cork)
>>
>>1144338
Climbed carrigtwohill back in May. Was a great day out
>>
>>1144328
The best way to get about Ireland -- unless you will stick to larger cities -- is to rent a car.

Also make sure to spend some time in Northern Ireland and visit Belfast, Derry, and the Antrim Coast.
>>
>>1144343
Do not listen to this man. These places are shitholes.
>>
>>1144328
your plane
>>
>>1144437
Belfast is somewhere you have to see, for the history alone its worth it
>>
>>1144437
>Belfast
Essential for people who visit Northern Ireland and want to understand its history
>Derry
Optional but a good addition
>Antrim Coast
If you have driven up there, why not drive along this?
>>
Get out of Dublin ASAP (seriously, not more than 2-3 days there tops)
>>
>>1144646
It's a street full of shops surrounded by miles of shuttered buildings council housing and decaying neighbourhoods of festering cultural waste
>>1144651
Same goes for Derry but with less to do. Antrim coast is no better than any given area in ROI, nothing about NI offers any reason to expand your trip
>>
>>1144328
How long do you have?
You need minimum 3+ weeks for a "all around" trip. If you do the Southern half, Dublin --> South and then west around and up to Shannon and Galway, you'll be crying that 1.5-2 weeks was too rushy, making choices to skip 2 worthwhile sights each day
So make a choice north half or south half, or lengthen the trip if you have a day less than 3 weeks. If you don't have a lot of time, South > North. And, it's far better to do a relaxing trip, see all things that you wish, but the real problem is just how slow it is to drive town to town on those narrow blind curves all day every day. It kind of wears the driver out too, and you'll want to call it quits by 4PM each day for pub time and destressing.
>>
If you go to Northern Ireland; Visit the Loch. Also go to belfast, its worth it.

lastly; visit Donagal; beautiful place. My grandparents used to live there and visited NI 4-5 times a year. Has a special place in my heart.
>>
My favourite part of my trip was definitely driving through connemara. Not crowded with tourist like ring of kerry and amazing landscapes
>>
Eirefag here
If you enjoy scenery,travel along the Wild Atlantic Way, the views are fucking amazing

>>1144778
Some parts of Donegal are great for this is well although theres a place like it in every county
>>
>>1144680
Not OP but also planning an Ireland trip. We will rent a car and travel the south for 10 days, still not sure how long to stay at one place, I consider staying 2 days at some spots since there is so much to see...
>>
This is my list of sights we plan to visit. Not sure how long to stay at each place:

Dublin City + Dublin Castle + National Museum of Ireland

Wicklow
Wicklow Mountains + Glendalough

Cashel - Rock of Cashel

Cork
Garnish Island

Kerry
Ring of Kerry + Lakes of Killarney
Skellig Michael
Dingle Peninsula

Cliffs of Moher

Clare
The Burren + Aillwee Cave

Galway
Aran Islands + DĂșn Aonghasa
Galway Bay
Connemara National Park + Diamond Hill
>>
File: first rule of trv.jpg (773KB, 1800x1175px) Image search: [Google]
first rule of trv.jpg
773KB, 1800x1175px
>>1144338
Let me offer a counter-proposal -- skip most of that and go along the NW coast, particularly in Donegal. Scenery is as amazing and it is far less tourist-swamped.

But in reality, you can't go wrong either way.

>>1144646
Oerhapos, I skipped it since I was traveling with a friend who had seen it already and so we did Derry instead. My understanding from his experience is that the history and such is similar, but Derry, being smaller, is an easier day of getting around town. Walking around the Fountain neighborhood was eerie as fuck.

>>1144674
Belfast resident spotted. Pic related.
>>
File: heep in the roadway connemara.jpg (704KB, 1400x1050px) Image search: [Google]
heep in the roadway connemara.jpg
704KB, 1400x1050px
>>1144778
>connemara

Did you hit any sheep?

Connemara was great...
>>
>>1144841
Ireland is pretty condensed -- you can find a central spot and "day trip" out from there with a little planning. I don;t see any real advantage to packing up your shit and moving it more than you need to, but to each his own.
>>
>>1146047
Add Kilmainham Gaol to your Dublin list. Also swing by the Post Office, but read up first so you know why you are there.
>>
>>1146085
>Oerhapos

Perhaps
>>
File: Around Ireland.png (45KB, 950x950px) Image search: [Google]
Around Ireland.png
45KB, 950x950px
>>1144328
I rarely visit /trv/. But every time there's an around Ireland thread. And every time I feel obliged to

I visit /trv/ like three times a year. But every time there's a thread about someone going around Ireland. And every time I feel obliged to tell of my attempt to cycle around Ireland in September 2011. I live in Co. Clare, and wanted to cycle clockwise around the coast of Ireland taking the longest possible route. I cycled for six days and gave up on the seventh. It was the windest it had been that week in decades. One day maybe I'll do the journey again. Although I promised myself at the time to never forget the reality of cycling such a distance. It would have taken me one or two months. Ireland is a cute small little country by comparision. But it's still a monsterous landmass. On a map of the world, you wouldn't know it. Taking the main roads, you wouldn't know it. But it's still a monsterous cunt of a space. You couldn't possible explore it if you went to a new area every day of your life.
>>
>>1146557

Do it man.

Do they have good cycle paths in Ireland or do you have to ride on the same roads as cars a lot?
>>
File: 2011-09-04.jpg (124KB, 1280x720px) Image search: [Google]
2011-09-04.jpg
124KB, 1280x720px
>>1146715
I was committed to taking the longest possible route which was usually road. Some of it very bad beaten-up road, unsuitable for cycling. I just wanted to prove to myself that I could do it, and to be able to point to a position on a world map and say "I did that". Whenever I watch a Hollywood film in the cinema and there's a bit where the world is visible from space, I can take intense pride in knowing I cycled around that region there. It was a fucking terrible journey you wouldn't believe. You know, at home the grand vision makes me froth at the mouth. But out there, you quickly understand the reality of what you've committed to. It really killed the "you can do anything if you truly believe you can / you were good in life, struggled against adversity, but here you are earning your valor". All that romanticism in the face of the long difficult indifferent road. Emotion isn't pumped through the air, magic in the mountains, mystery in the unexplored regions. It's just an illusion of human life, imagination invading routine.

If I do it again I'll be better prepared, and I want to create a smartphone app that I can give to friends and relatives that details exactly where I am in the country represented as a red snaking line on a simplified outline of Ireland.
>>
File: 1336329486765.jpg (38KB, 500x333px) Image search: [Google]
1336329486765.jpg
38KB, 500x333px
>>1144630
Thread posts: 28
Thread images: 6

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.