[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Any Britfags here? I'll be in England next week, in the

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 17
Thread images: 2

File: great-britain-united-kingdom-0.jpg (1MB, 3600x2222px) Image search: [Google]
great-britain-united-kingdom-0.jpg
1MB, 3600x2222px
Any Britfags here?

I'll be in England next week, in the South Eastern area, arriving in Dover and planning to travel in about a 150-mile radius.

I haven't been to England yet, except for a short trip to London which didn't leave me too impressed. Provide me with tips for sites to visit. Cultural ones, that is.

Also looking for cheap camping sites.
>>
Oh, and I wonder if I can withdraw money from local ATM's with a girocard?
>>
Cliffs of dover, dover castle, Canterbury and the cathedral, there's always museums everywhere you go and most are free.
Kent, Bodiam castle which is a great, possibly take the train from tenterden there but might cost a bit
Head to battle, where the battle of hastings took place, or eastbourne (which is the southeast's place where old people go to die) and go to cuckmere haven and beachy head, which is lovely when the weather's good. A place closer to dover is dungeness, which is a wide open scrape, quite bleak yet really nice with a lighthouse you can go up. You could also extend along the downs. Lovely villages along the way, alfriston, bramber, and Brighton's good with the royal pavilion and the laines, but also the seafront.
Not sure if that's what you meant by cultural, but it's got history, and it's quite old. Worth checking out at least.

Campsites are worth looking up and searching around. a quick search I found one for £5 a night, but most are over £15 a night.
You could search for wild camping spots, but I don't know any in the south east. Most are in the north where there are few people.
>>
>>1144216

Hey man, thanks, that's pretty good input. Historical sites is exactly what I'm after, and Dover Castle looks really good to me. So does the lighthouse.

As for the wild camping: IS that legal in the UK? If not, what can I expect if caught? Also, is this generally safe or should I prepare to get mugged by a gang of youngsters?
>>
>>1144244
There's a lot of private land, and it's illegal to camp on it. National parks are allowed to be camped in, but there aren't any in the south east that are suitable, and I've never seen anyone doing it. I don't know the consequences, but most likely a big fine. It's quite likely that if you set up and clear away under little light, you won't be caught. (desu there are very few to no police in the middle of nowhere, and especially not at night).

As for mugging, it's rare to the extent I've never seen any, especially during the day. The worst place I've heard stories about is hastings, where you shouldn't go out after 10 in groups smaller than 6 people. I'd advise not going there even during the day.

Also, I'm not sure if you'd be in time, but you can book to see the wartime tunnels at dover castle which are good apparently.
>>
>>1144156
go camping in the new forest, its illegal if the forestry commission catch you but its a pretty big place so they won't.

brighton has some pretty nice stuff, theres the pavillion, which used to be a pleasure palace for george the fourth, the fat one, really good music if you can find it too

the isle of wight is also worth a visit, theres quite a lot of interesting tourist stuff there
>>
>>1144171
i've never heard of a girocard before so probably not
>>
>>1144473
oh, also, if you go to brighton, its worth checking out the village of lewes too, its a little bit north of brighton, it hosts the biggest guy fawks night celebration in britain, er go the world, and lewes castle was the sight of a battle between henry the third and simon de montfort which helped cement magna carta in britain

theres some dope historical stuff in bath too but that might be a bit out of your way
>>
OP here, thanks for all the great info,I hope to catch all of it.

As for the camping, seems like most sites are pretty expensive, but at least I'll get to shower, so I'll shoot for that.
>>
Can anyone name smaller cities or towns with comfy mid-evil architecture that you can just wander and stop into pubs
>>
File: 1.jpg (63KB, 626x409px) Image search: [Google]
1.jpg
63KB, 626x409px
>>1144769
bath is good for that, a lot of towns have some medieval architecture but most are defined by later stuff, usually victorian

having said that, if you really want medieval archetecture, arundel, is great, as is winchester

i can recommend some smaller and harder to find stuff around where i live but its more south centre than south east, theres a town called christchurch which is small, but has a very old priory, its quite pretty, theres also a village called burley in the new forest which is a great place to explore the countryside from, and is full of thatched houses and folklore, its very small though

as for pubs, pubs are fucking everywhere, try the local ales, some will be good, some bad, but trying a new ale is one of the best things about pubs in britain, i'd personally recommend ringwood brewery

this is a picture of arundel, it seems like the kind of place you'd like
>>
>>1144910
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Christchurch,_Dorset
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Burley,_Hampshire
these seem like your kinda places OP?
>>
Will be visiting England Aug 2 for about a month or maybe less depending on how much there is to do. This is my 2nd backpacking trip but first time in England, so OPs question also interests me.
>>
>>1145054
i can recommend you some good stuff, bournemouth has what was voted the "best community pub in britain", its my local.

facebook, /chaplins.cellarbar/
>>
OP here

been to beachy head yesterday. weather was great and wow,what a landscape. definitely worth the visit.

also been to brighton,which was very Lively and great too. any Chance to buy some dope from local street Dealers thrre? if so,where to look.

thanks again for all the tips
>>
>>1145541
as somone who lived in brighton for a while, the street dealers are normally pretty sound, less "COCA, COCA, HIGH QUALITY" more "excuse me chaps, i couldn't interest you in any MDMA could i?"
you'll find them usually by the seafront

if you're looking to get mashed up check out volks, its on the left hand side of the peir (when you're facing the sea), down on the seafront, someone in the smoking area will be dealing, everyone is a fuckhead
>>
>>1145772
I second this.

Volks bar is absolutely nuts. Expect mayhem. Full of chavs and whatever but still a good time. Been a few times and every time I had a mental night.
Brighton nightlife is really something else... pretty much go from being fucked up, unable to walk to sitting on a beach smoking a joint with random people until the early hours of the morning. As a northener, the atmosphere in Brighton is incredible
Thread posts: 17
Thread images: 2

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.