[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

What do you guys think of cameras while traveling? I was thinking

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 11
Thread images: 3

File: IMG_20150617_152522.jpg (5MB, 3264x2448px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_20150617_152522.jpg
5MB, 3264x2448px
What do you guys think of cameras while traveling? I was thinking of getting a dslr before I went on vacation, but I was looking at some of the pictures I took with my phone, and while they definitely not as high quality as a dslr (like on /p/)... they seem, good enough I guess to capture whatever I wanted.

I'm leaning towards just using my phone. What do you guys think of cameras while traveling?
>>
>>1143970
I've used both a dslr and just a phone when traveling; the real camera is bulky enough (especially when I bring along a telephoto lens) that it really makes sense to me if I'm going somewhere especially photogenic or expect to have time to dedicate to taking pictures. Phone would not have sufficed on my Kenyan safari or Tibetan hike, but everywhere else it's good enough for snapshots. But my answer is colored by the fact that I'm not a very serious photographer to begin with.

There are plenty of small, point-and-shoot cameras that take high quality photos, though--if you're really into photography the dslr may be a good buy, but you can probably get surprisingly good shots with something smaller, too.
>>
>>1143970
I appreciate good photography, but I'm certainly not a good photographer. That said, I can't stand the added bulk of a camera that doesn't fit in my pocket. And at that point, why not just use my phone?
>>
File: 20160716_160428.jpg (2MB, 3264x1836px) Image search: [Google]
20160716_160428.jpg
2MB, 3264x1836px
Phone with a nice camera does it for me. As with the previous Anon, I don't go places with the intent to take pictures, neither as a job nor as a hobby.

I'm happy with pic-related quality levels.
>>
>>1143970

You need to ask yourself:

- am I a good photographer / can edit shit to make it look good
- do I wish to cart a bulky (most but not all cameras...mirrorless 4/3 can make good semipro photos & still be compact) bit of gear around
- am I prepared to forego the carefree nature of travel/holidays by constantly sizing up whether I should take a picture
- do I honestly feel the need to share my holiday with others / shamelessly display my narcissism by sharing pics + mindless hashtags etc etc

As someone else pointed out if you are doing something truly remarkable ie an African safari or trekking in Mongolia etc then yeah, some good gear is probably going yo be worth taking. If you're doing some vanilla shit like Vietnam or Mexico then fuck it, a phone will suffice - I took an iPhone 6+ all through Spain & Portugal and it was ample for the task.

Don't be that dick tourist waving a fucking 1D at some shitty Thai temple so you can post photos on Instagram. Just...don't.
>>
As a /p/ tard, I do travel with my camera gear (usually a mirrorless+ 35mm or Medium Format film) since I need control over different settings, lens choice etc. and also like to apply some post production to my pictures in Lightroom or Photoshop.

That said, a phone is certainly good enough in most situations (save for zooming and low light) and is on-par with most compact cameras you can get at the store
>>
>>1143970
>dslr

Even professionals are saying outside of a few use cases, they only carry them around because people expect them to carry them around, but don't use them much. Get a mirrorless
>>
File: IMG_7550.jpg (740KB, 667x1000px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_7550.jpg
740KB, 667x1000px
Went to Nepal, Vietnam, Thailand, Myanmar and Laos (and some city trips in Europe/Morocco) with my Canon 600D (and before that Canon 350D. What I really do like about a good camera is the ability to edit the crap out of the photo's. I like photography but don't really much know about it. So it's easy for me to get at least something nice in picture and then just shoot.
I hate it's really bulky and need some space. My father just bought a Sony A7 mirrorless which is way smaller (and fullframe). Kinda like that camera, although the battery life is shit.

My father shot some really cool pics with a 70-200mm f2.8 lens, but that thing is just huge.
>>
>>1143970
If you are an amateur but budding professional photographer enjoying learning and taking great photos, there will be some trips you really want your nice camera, places like going on a safari, whale watching in Iceland, glaciers cruising in Alaska, major sporting events. If you intend to do some things where you want to play with settings, capture some things with lighting difficulties, high speed sports or great distances, or you might want to blow up into poster sized later, you'll want a camera with a real lens and not some computer algorithm fake zoom.

I think most cellphones now have decent enough cameras for vacation photo memories and people photos, if you have a flash and camera from both directions. It stands to reason if you'd consider investment in a compact professional series camera as a middle ground.

First, make a checklist. Where are you going? Do you like to carry things or will you mostly be in a vehicle/not walking long distances? Is there crime where the cost of your camera makes you become conspicuous with it? Will you ever be forced to leave it unattended in the hotel room, not hidden in a trunk of a car, or during a visit to a sketchy area, or while you swim/spa, and is that okay with you. It's a tradeoff really. Figure out what makes sense for each of your trips.
>>
>>1144025
Nice detail in this pic! Story? Look at those people in front of the cannon!!! Yikes!!
>>
>>1144026
Top post.
Thread posts: 11
Thread images: 3

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.