[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

I often hear a lot of good and bad stuff about Paris. What does

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 57
Thread images: 2

I often hear a lot of good and bad stuff about Paris.

What does /trv/ think about this city?
>>
It's a good city if you ignore all the bad stuffs.
>>
>>1142744
kek.
Simple but very honest truth.
Paris is a beautiful city, but it's so ugly.
>>
unfortunately france is way too cucked, you have to beware being mugged by gypsy kids or blown by a muslim
other than that it's a neat (although crowded) place, but you won't have the same cultural mindblowing you would've had in the 1920's
>>
>>1142761
>mugged by gypsy kids
Is that common over there?
>>
>>1142764
Not that poster, but it seemed top me that upper Scandinavia was more plagued by them (not sure if they were gypsies or arabs). Fuckers literally went up to me and wanted me to buy them food in a fucking Coop.

France has it's own massive Arab population, which is great if you want doner kebab, but shitty as you end up having to deal with shitty entitled assholes. I do love the nicer parts of Paris, is still feels like it breathes history. The food is often pretty good, but not cheap anywhere that isn't kebab.
>>
>>1142743
I live here but if i was a tourist i would enjoy the architecture, museum, easy subway/bus, café and bar but i would dislike the crowded places, expensive attrape-touristes restaurants and the muslim population near the sacré coeur/Montmartre. Best season is spring or in september. Don't come in Paris in the summer, everything is fake, there is only tourists so the only restaurants/bars/grocery/etc. open are expensive and kind of scam.
>>
>>1142743
It's like every single toursitic location. You have to learn what to avoid, try to pick a flew places you really woudl like to discover, and find some places where it's nice to walk.
That plus use trip advisor or, better, a guide to find nice restaurants.

Honestly it might be hipster as fuck, but if i visit a city i buy a Lonely planet guide before.
>>
I had a fucking ball there as a fluent French speaker. People were pretty receptive to talking to me when I initiated conversation.

Food is top-tier, albeit more expensive than what I'm used to in the Midwest of the USA. I spent an afternoon just walking another city trying a croissant from every bakery I passed, I can't get enough of those buttery sumbitches

The tourist-heavy areas are not-fun, way too many scammers and obnoxious tourists for my taste. My advice: don't treat it as a urban-disneyland, because it isn't. Go to some nice restaurants, walk around, see some monuments if you must, and generally explore off the beaten track
>>
>>1142743
paris is great

the issues there effect long term residents, not tourists

some of the nicest architecture in the world, the attractions and galleries

clubs are a bit rubbish, the Parisians don't want much to do with tourists, pickpockets, dirty streets

the food is great and gets rapidly cheaper as you leave tourist town

would recomend
>>
>>1143447
Amerifat here, what steps should I take to learn French? I took a semester of French 3 years ago at my community college along with German (worst mistake ever), but I have since then forgot most of what I learned. I am now have good friends from France that I have met whom mostly live in Grenoble and it would be great if I got to understand their conversation
>>
>>1143584
*I now have
>>
I am visiting Paris in the winter. What are the parts to avoid? I speak some French, but I am far from fluent. I want to experience local culture, not one I am getting sold at tourist traps.
>>
>>1143584
Brush up on your grammar with Duolingo , and try to read some French books (if your vocab is rusty, start with kids books). I've had a lot of success with reading text and listening to the corresponding audiobook at the same time, it helps me learn the pronunciation of words.

With that said, for your situation you'll really want to focus on verbal communication. The reading + audiobooks will help with listening, but you need to also find ways to practice talking (related, when I studied German before a trip to Austria I found I could read and understand people fine, but I was a babbling retard when trying to speak). So really find other french-speakers to practice conversations.

I've tried out livemocha with a little bit of success. For some of the lessons they have you do is record audio samples, and they have an instructor review your speaking. Might be worth it if you can't find French friends.
>>
>>1143707
generally the suburbs surrounding the cities is where most crime is. Montmartre and Gare du Nord can be sketchy at ( 10th, 18th, & 19th arrondissements I think ), there's probably other parts too. All the tourist spots have lots of scammers and gypsy types you should be aware of as well.
>>
french fag here, my school was in paris so i know the city, paris is a sublime and wonderful city, the monument the street, the building have century of history. But everything else is shit. i'm glad i fuck off of this depressing city.

>>1142764
avoid gypsie, don't talk or smile to them.never sign their pseudo petition, they will robbed you
>>
I have been in Paris numerous times and I could never get into it. I dislike the whole vibe of the city, it makes me feel uncomfortable. France itself is cool though.
>>
>>1142743
Frenchfag reporting, been living in Paris for 20 years.

French people, especially in the north, and even more so in Paris, are quite closed at first, definitely not as socially open as in the US.
They usually won't be very welcoming and chatty if you come up front, but once you get past that wall (helps a lot if you already know someone to introduce you), then they'll usually be honest, trustworthy and welcoming contacts.

For that matter, it's basically the opposite of what you might be experiencing in the US.
More difficult to break the ice, easier to make actual friends.
Makes me think, it works in similar ways with girls, unlike American girls, they usually won't kiss you lightheartedly, if they do thought, it means there's a 95% chance they're open for sex if you handle it decently.

Touristic industry is terrible in my opinion, especially in bars and such.
Avoid going in bars, cafés, shops around the main touristic areas, they're absurdly overpriced and service is usually meh, if not shit.
Tips if service was okay, it's usually not as much as in the US because service is included in the bill, 2 euros would be enough in a basic restaurant for example, 1 euro if you're having drinks in a bar.

Try to know basic words, everybody loves that, no matter the country (unless you're anglo).
People don't expect you to actually speak French, but if you don't give a fuck and speak english like you're at home and expecting them to understand straight ahead, it won't do.
Ask if they speak english first, out of politeness.
People in France have a reputation for not being able to speak english, but it's been changing fast in the last decade, most of them might be able to help you in english but too shy to actually try.

Couchsurfing is awesome to blend in.
>>
>>1142743
was there last year, city is great, I've walked all over it, went to disney, metro is fucking awesome, architecure is great. It's pretty majestic.
But niggers pissing on the sidewalk in broat daylight. Shitskins and niggers overcrowd evreywhere, beg for money, grab you by the hand. Horrible. And in summer place reeks. Especially at weekends. NIGGER OVERLOAD. Sunday was unbearable, but when monday came - niggers dissappeared from streets just like that, poof. Probably some of them work.
Was visiting another town 80km from paris, place was clean, tidy, no shitskins, everyone looked nice and happy.
>>
>>1144029
you seem to have problems with niggers.
>>
>>1143821
This.
>>
It's the best African city, no doubt about this.
>>
>>1142743
Can't really give a complete answer without being banned or told HURR GO BACK TO /POL/ YOU HURT MY FEE FEES
>>
>>1142761
>blown by a muslim

i think that's haram m8
>>
>>1142743
niggers, niggers, niggers and even more niggers.
LOTS of arabs. Also high density of gypsies, that was the one that really baffled me.

breakfast in the morning sun, outside a 'boulangerie' in a calm street sounds good to you?
enjoy beeing angry after tossing out 20eur to a veiled paki bitch for a tiny croissant and 200ml of orange juice in a tetrapak. Eat while the city cleaners spray chlorided water on your feet and a wet street dog eats a rat.
That's in one of the better parts of paris, don't even think of going to the suburbs.
France is done for, really. Sorry France.
>>1142757
>>1142744
>>
>>1144851
>assblasted delusional /pol/fag detected
>>
>>1144916
No. I don't even browse /pol/. Thing is since the reddit invasion no one can say shit without being told that exact kind of stupid shit by the PC-police like you.
>>
I went there expecting immigrants and grime, rude people, and danger. It was lily white, pretty clean and organized, nice people, and felt safe as fuck.

It's important to remember that the memes are posted by hillbillies who have literally never seen a brown person in their life. They see a brown person on the metro or the RER or something and they shit themselves with fear and then rush to 4chan to complain about the downfall of western civilization.

As far as rudeness goes, hillbillies aren't accustomed to big city manners. You don't interrupt someone rushing to get to work and expect them to stop and tour guide you around the city at the drop of a hat. Shit doesn't work like that.
>>
>>1144924
You're not fooling anyone.
>>
>>1144924
>It's important to remember that the memes are posted by hillbillies who have literally never seen a brown person in their life.

I posted this >>1144914
I live in an other huge european city, in northern Germany, 2 million inhabitants. I live in the city center. I've been to a couple other european, asian and american metropols.
I'm no hillbilly, thank you for insulting me.
I'm glad you had all these positive emotions on your trip, that conservative people >>1144920
>>1144851
can't have anymore. Apparently we are not even allowed to express ourselves without being insulted.
At least please stop deluding yourself.
>>
>>1144928
I think we visited different cities, I paid like 1 or 2 euros for a croissant. I don't drink orange juice. I didn't see a single veil the whole time I was there. Some gypsies especially in the tourist areas but they didn't bother me because I don't look like a mark

What part of Paris were you in? I was in the 16th for whatever it's worth. It sounds like you were staying in a suburb, not Paris proper
>>
>>1144943
was around of gare montparnasse
>>
>>1144946
I only visited that area at night but it was white people when I was there. A bit more gritty but I have a hard time believing there are stray dogs running around in the day that all disappear when the sun goes down. It's Paris, not Manila
>>
>>1144924
>>1144928
Plenty of people go to New York City and have a wonderful time, feel safe, etc. while many people might also go and get ripped off, become a victim of crime, stumble onto a bad city, etc.

Both outcomes are possible in most major cities, although >>1144924 seems out of line.
>>
>>1144946
>I have a hard time believing there are stray dogs running around in the day
you also claimed you didn't see "a single veil" and everyone was "lily white".
>>
>>1144955
>>1144947
>>
>>1144955
Yes, I did. Because those are both true.

I have no trouble believing there are ghettos where all the brown people stay. We have those where I live too.

I'm disinclined to believe most of your claims though, given that you're digging in on this claim that Paris is overrun by packs of feral dogs like a third world country.

I think you're from a white city that has never had much immigration and you shat yourself with fear because you saw a brown shopkeeper.

People say the same thing about New York. I understand how it would be scary but as someone who is used to being around brown people all the time, Paris is pretty fucking white.
>>
>>1144958
>I think you're from a white city that has never had much immigration
Please tell me which city you are talking about.
Btw, I've been attacked by immigrants two times already, is that enough immigration for you?

>Paris is pretty fucking white
spotted the troll
>>
>>1144960
I dunno, why don't you tell me so we can look at your home city's demographics and compare to mine, and to Paris? Then we could actually see why you got gigatriggered by a brown shopkeeper and started hallucinating wild dogs everywhere
>I've been attacked by immigrants
Well, there we have it. That's why you have PTSD attacks when you see brown people. Your first interaction with one was getting glassed by one. It's all becoming quite clear.
>>
>>1144958
I've seen guys from the suburbs in packs stop people from walking around the sights in Montmartre until they gave them money and similar stuff around the Louvre and the Invalides.
I've seen some pretty intense shit in the subway.
Not to mention all the gypsy fuckery.

You're full of shit.
>>
>>1144961
I went to Paris before that.
Also why do you think that I was getting glassed.

Can't compare statistics because people's heritage is not being recorded here like in the US.

I think you are pretty stupid.
>>
>>1144962
>some pretty intense shit on the subway
You mean the exact same thing that happens in every large city?

Yeah I saw a drunk hobo yelling and throwing bottles at people at about 1 AM on the Paris metro on a Friday night, I didn't think anything of it because I am not a hillbilly who has never seen a drunk hobo before

You and that German guy may want to look at this article, it looks like you've got a case of it
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Paris_syndrome
>>
>>1144963
>I think you are pretty stupid
The feeling is mutual, anon
>>
>>1144964
>I am not a hillbilly who has never seen a drunk hobo before
I was born and raised in Montreal.
I'm not sensitive to this kind of shit.
>>
>>1144966
You guys have like 1 subway line and it's all McGill students
>>
>>1144967
>more proof that you're full of shit
okay lol
>>
>>1144967
Three are five metro lines now,guy.
>>
>>1144967
like >>1144969 said, you're full of shit

>>1144977
four metro lines, not five
>>
>>1144924
>Paris is fine when you stay in the same expensive arrondisement
>just ignore the massive urban sprawl outside the peripherique filled to the brim with third worlders

Funny that hillbillies who never travel have a better grasp of the world than you

You close your eyes of the nigger Muslim hellhole when you drive into Paris from CDG
>>
>>1145830
>poor people live in poor areas of cities
looks like we have a young bourdieu among us. have you gotten tenure at the Sorbonne yet?
>>
>>1144854
If it's haram I don't want to be halal
>>
I know Monmartre sucks, but can anyone tell me about other arrondissements, esp the area around place de la republique? Also if you have some recommendations for places to eat or go shopping or whatever, I'd love to hear more about it
>>
>>1143821
This.
>>
>>1144843
nice meme
>>
>>1144962
>lil euro babby has never had to deal with street gangs
lmao amerifat here buy a gun for your protection
>>
>>1144966
Montreal is a tiny ass city senpai and it's in Canada. Not exactly the roughest streets in the world.
>>
>>1144969
>>1144977
>>1145723
>All these buttblasted Canadians
Thread posts: 57
Thread images: 2

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.