[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Britfag here. Thinking about going to Lebanon for a week or two

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 15
Thread images: 2

File: Lebanon.png (52KB, 2000x1333px) Image search: [Google]
Lebanon.png
52KB, 2000x1333px
Britfag here. Thinking about going to Lebanon for a week or two in September. Would anyone recommend it or have experiences to share?
Which places should I visit? Not really looking for nightlife, more culture and history.
>>
>>1142621
Is Lebanon OK to go to? Last thing I heard, the trash collectors in Beirut were all on strike so there's loads of garbage in the streets and the whole city stinks.

Also hasn't Lebanon taken on like 1 million Syrian refugees, which I imagine must cause a lot of tension and lead to a lot of noticeable poverty
>>
>>1142630
>Is Lebanon OK to go to?
US State Dept warns Americans not to go in very detailed warnings about 15 pages long. Government employees are forbidden from all personal travel. Why would Britain be any different? Well, they aren't. Check out the map that blocks out more than 50% of the metro city area of Beirut for safety reasons related to bombings last month and kidnappings.
https://www.gov.uk/foreign-travel-advice/lebanon
>>
File: 1323450813002_jnq5.jpg (100KB, 946x798px) Image search: [Google]
1323450813002_jnq5.jpg
100KB, 946x798px
>>1142650
>>
>>1142650
Actually, the UK foreign office says the majority of Lebanon is OK

https://www.gov.uk/foreign-travel-advice/lebanon

Does anyone out there have any experience of Lebanon as a foreigner recently?
>>
>>1142665
>>1142650

Didn't notice you'd already linked the article... the map seems to say it's just near the Syrian border and South Beirut you shouldn't go to
>>
>>1142666
Satan confirms I'll die in Baalbek
>>
>>1142666
>the map seems to say
>>1142665
Both of you have reading comprehension issues when you see a map suggests no travel to 50% of a country, 50% of the capital, and to read the warnings first, if you wish to visit the other areas, where said warnings discuss high threats. Could you be more disabled? I don't think so.
>>
>>1142670
Seems appropriate.
>>
>>1142621
European guy where, I studied Arabic in Lebanon for a year, I came home in June. AMA.

>is it safe?
For the most part, yes. The border with Syria is obviously not safe, as is the northern part of the Beqaa Valley. Kidnappings, not necessarily bombings, will be the main issue here. The southern part of the country, including along the border with Israel, is safe. Hezbollah dominates and operates checkpoints here and there, but won't bother you without a legitimate reason. Landmines and the occasional Israeli incursion are the only safety concerns you need worry about. I spent the night in a village a few kilometers from the border, and visited Tyre no less than five times, and I never encountered problems of any kind. The southern suburbs of Beirut are not really safe, every recent attack in Beirut city has occured here, and there isn't really much to see as a foreigner anyway. Still, keep in mind that Germany and France has seen more terrorist attacks than all of Lebanon in the past year.

>Which places should I visit?
Base yourself in Beirut, and 95% of the country is within day trip range. Sidon, Tyre, Byblos, Tripoli and Baalbek are absolute musts. The security situation in Baalbek and Tripoli may or may not be a bit unstable, ask beforehand. I had no problems there a few months ago. If you're not interested in nightlife, you can limit your time in Beirut to a few days, most historic sights were lost in the civil war, still the Corniche, Hamra Street and the National Museum are worth seeing. Other places of interest include the teleferique between Jounieh and Harissa for amazing views of Beirut and the coast, the palace in Beiteddine, the ruins at Aanjar, and the charming mountain town of Bsharri. Due to distance from Beirut, Bsharri is best done as a weekend trip, I can recommend spending the night at Tiger House hostel.

Ask if there's anything else you want answered, I know the country better than these couch experts who've read the US travel advice.
>>
>>1143060
Where to go for coffee and shisha?
>>
>>1143063
There's a place called Cafe Em Nazih, in Gemmayze. Will show up on Google Maps as close to Saifi Urban Gardens. It's one of the best restaurants in Beirut, their shisha is only 9000 LBP (£4,50), about the cheapest one I found in Beirut, and also really tasty. Also has great and cheap food.

I'm a very "if it ain't broke, don't fix it" kinda guy, so when I found a place like that, I never really bothered to look for another shisha place. Some of the places I WON'T recommend is the Shisha Hookah Lounge on Sassine Square and Bay Rock Cafe at the Pidgeon Rocks, both due to horrible staff.

Once you travel outside of Beirut, prices drop. Walk along the Corniche in Tyre and you'll find people selling shisha out of their vans, it's really nice. In Tripoli, go to the beach (al-Mina area), there's a bunch of beachside restaurants, basically everyone has shisha.

Those are the ones that I can recommend, but keep in mind that 90+% of cafes and restaurants in Beirut, and indeed Lebanon, has shisha, just ask around. In Lebanon, people will refer to shisha as "argeeleh".

Coffee? As the only adult person of the planet who doesn't drink coffee, I have no idea... I've yet to see a bar, club, cafe or restaurant without coffee on the menu though!
>>
>>1143066
Thanks senpai

Did you visit the museum at Mleeta?
>>
>>1143060
Libanonsen?
>>
>>1143208
Yup. The entire place is pure propaganda, but actually seeing where guerilla fighters lived and fought not so long ago is a cool experience. I would definitely recommend it.

>>1143210
Jo, hei.
Thread posts: 15
Thread images: 2

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.